Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Mistake:Revised

Where Harry Disappears

by Chshre 3 reviews

This the revised version of The Mistake as can be seen by the title.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2010-06-02 - Updated: 2010-07-22 - 1922 words

1TrainWreck
Chapter 1

It was almost too easy to walk away, too easy to pack all his things and ship them off to his next destination. Gathering the last of his things, Harry glanced vaguely at the four bare walls of his apartment, he wouldn’t miss it, and all that remained here were the terrible memories of those he once thought of as friends and family. Reaching into his overnight bag he pulled out a thin envelope, which he placed atop the lone cardboard box remaining in the apartment. It was time to go and leave this all behind, walking out he waved his hand to banish the wards once present and locked the door behind him. This was no longer his life.

The stillness was disturbed about two hours later when a loud pop echoed through the empty apartment.

“Harry, you home?”

Ron apparated into Harry’s apartment barely glancing at the bare walls, only concerned with the object of his visit. It was only when he walked into the master bedroom did it finally strike him that everything was gone. Walking from room to room his gut feeling told him what he wouldn’t acknowledge, Harry was gone. In the center of the living room he found the box and envelope, which was simply labeled “To Ron.”

Shakily, he quickly tore open the envelope and two pieces of paper dropped out,

To Ron,
Goodbye, strange way to start a letter isn’t it? But that’s all I have left to say, I don’t want to fight with everyone anymore, I just want to live my life. Don’t try to find me. And you can tell Hermione I have made the necessary arrangements.
Harry Potter


He slowly slid to his knees if the proof wasn’t right in front of his eyes, he wouldn’t have believed it. But it was as clear as the ink in front of him, Harry left and it didn’t seem as though he were coming back. A jingle went off and broke through the shock, reaching into his pocket he grabbed the cellular phone Hermione had forced him to buy so she would always know how to contact him.

“Hello?”

“Ron? Have you spoken to Harry yet?” asked the voice from the cell phone.

“No, I haven’t. But…hey, are you home now?” he asked.

“Yes, I actually just walked in the door, why do you ask?” the voice asked.

“Can I come over for a bit? We need to talk,” he said.

“Sure, of course but you need to talk to Harry first!” the voice said.

“No, I’m coming over now,” he said.

“RONN…” the voice yelled before being cut off.

He clamped the phone shut and placed in back into the deep recesses of his robes. Grabbing the letter and the box he apparated out and stillness reigned supreme once more in the dimming light of the day.

A loud pop announced Ron’s arrival at the front door; he knocked lightly on the wall by the door before taking off his shoes. Hermione walked out a moment later, “Ron, couldn’t this have waited after you spoke to Harry?” she asked.

“Hermione, that’s the reason why I’m here, Harry’s gone,” he said.

She looked at him shocked, never would she have expected this of all things to happen.

“He left me a letter at his apartment that said he was leaving because he didn’t want to fight with anyone anymore,” he said.

Hermione sat down on the sofa, as her legs felt like jelly. Her world had turned upside down with Harry’s disappearance. Sure, they were having problems; but she didn’t think they were this serious that he’d completely vanish from their lives.

“Did he leave anything for me?” she asked hesitatingly.

“No, he just told me to tell you that he made the necessary arrangement. Do you have any idea what that means?” he asked.

“I know we were talking about getting some things ready but there was nothing substantial about it, just talk,” she said.

The two friends sank back into the couch barely perceiving the passage of time. A whistling sound broke the comfortable silence between the two. Hermione immediately raced to the kitchen.

“I completely forgot I put the kettle on right before you got here, do you want some tea?” she asked from the kitchen.

“Yeah, a cup of tea might be nice,” he answered back.

Ten minutes later, the two were situated in the kitchen table sipping the tea slowly, thinking about what to do with the situation. Hermione slowly stroked the top of her teacup back and forth. Ron finally broke the silence, “How are we going to tell the others?” he asked.

“I have no idea, today was supposed to be the day it was made official, which is why I told you to find him and make sure he was doing alright,” she said briskly.

“Five years it’s been---“ Ron started to say when the fireplace glowed green.

“Hermione? Are you there? Can I come through?” asked Ginny’s head in the fireplace.

“Sure, hold on one moment let me set the permissions,” she replied.

Hermione strode over to the fireplace and picked up the glass jar filled with strands, picking though them she grabbed the one-labeled Ginny Weasley. She slipped the strand into the specified vial and said, “Accept Ginny Weasley.”

With a glowing burst of green fire, the petite form of Ginny appeared in front of the fireplace. Brushing herself off carefully with the duster for that very purpose, she glanced up and hugged Hermione before noticing her brother sitting at the kitchen table.

“Ron? What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be out with Harry now?” she asked curiously.
Before Hermione could stop him, he blurted out, “Harry’s gone, perhaps forever.”

“Ron! I was trying to ease into the situation. And put that flask away, it’s way too early for you to be drinking right now,” Hermione said as she noted the all too familiar flask that adorned his right hand.

“Wait, what do you mean Harry’s gone? Gone, as in left for assignment gone, right?” Ginny asked almost desperately.

Ron capped the flask and shoved it back into his robes, “No, Ginny I just came from his apartment, there’s nothing left except a letter to say he was leaving.”

Ginny pulled up a chair at the table and reached out her hand to Ron, “Give me you’re flask I need a pull.”

Hermione shook her head, “Both of you listen, first of all drinking isn’t going to solve anything right now and second of all we need to get everyone together to see what we’re going to do.” Ginny and Ron looked up at her expectantly; Hermione could always be counted on to have a plan. Grabbing a pad of paper and a pen she drew up a plan.

“So, tonight at Grimmauld Place at ten, it’s about Harry, tell everyone that,” she said.

Ron got up and headed for the front door, “Alright so I’ve got Dumbledore, McGonagall, Moody and Remus? With a loud pop he was gone to gather the troops for their meeting place.

Hermione turned towards Ginny, “Tea?” she asked holding up the still warm teapot. With Ginny’s affirmative nod, she cast a heating charm on the pot and soon enough, steam poured out the top. Grasping the handle she waved her wand and a cup and saucer flew neatly out the cupboard and settled on the tabletop before Ginny’s hands. Hermione poured the boiling water in the cup and added the tealeaves. Setting down the kettle on the stove she waved her wand again and the sugar and honey appeared on the table.

“Help yourself,” she said.

Throughout this entire process, Ginny was quiet. She waited until even the slightest puff from the teapot was no longer audible before she said anything.

“Why do you think he left?” she asked.

Hermione looked at her and gave her a sad smile, “I don’t think I’m the best person to ask that right now, seeing as he didn’t even leave me any letter or notification of some sort.”
Ginny glanced at her friend, “No matter what happens Harry treasures his friendships very dearly. Despite everything that’s happened, I still believe he cares very deeply for you. Everything just got turned around, that’s all.”

Hermione squeezed her hand from across the table, “Then I’m sure we’ll figure out what’s going on tonight when everyone’s together. Now was there any particular reason why you came over before?”

Ginny fidgeted at the attention suddenly being turned back to her, holding her teacup she walked over to the window and looked outside for a while, stalling for time. She glanced over at Hermione who looked at her expectantly.

“I came over today because I’ve been thinking about a conversation Harry and I had last weekend. As you know I’ve recently started having issues with Bryan again. His drinking problem has been getting worse and I’ve been wanting to leave him. But I’m afraid if I completely leave him, that’ll be the last straw and he’ll really kill himself this time.

Last weekend I spoke with Harry and he told me that first I shouldn’t stay in a relationship if I’m not happy and only for the sake of the other person. And second of all he told me that Bryan is doing this suicide thing on purpose to garner sympathy from me, so he has a hold on me. He said any relationship that I’m in, I should be happy and want to be in, not because of someone else.

While I do understand that, I don’t want to hurt Bryan, I don’t want to forever be known as the girl that tipped him over the edge. But this relationship isn’t going anywhere and I want out. What should I do?”

Hermione nodded, “I agree with what Harry said to be in a relationship you have to be happy as well. But sometimes being happy needs work from both parties. You can’t just abandon everything and everyone whenever times get tough. You have to work for it, but if you believe it won’t work now or ever and are no longer in love with him. You should leave him. That’s a case of putting your own needs first.

Though I’m not so sure you should be taking my advice in all this, based on my track record so far and what’s going on right now.”

The two girls sat silently in the dimming afternoon light before Ginny got up and said, “Thanks Hermione, for listening and giving me your advice. I’ll go round up my family now. I’ll see you later tonight.”

Hermione waved goodbye when Ginny flooed back home to gather the Weasley clan. She glanced at the box Ron had left on the kitchen counter and decided to look through the remnants of Harry’s life. Opening the box carefully she wanted to cry because on top of the pile was one of the few Muggle pictures of them at their wedding. He was kissing her while Ron made silly faces off to the side.
Sign up to rate and review this story