Categories > Original > Romance > Leather Jackets, Lacy Lingerie, And Phone Tag

I. In My Lover's Bed

by RhiannonLeighBlack 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-08-08 - Updated: 2010-08-08 - 921 words

1Hot
I. In My Lover's Bed

Nights like tonight had to be the hardest of all.

Tina tossed and turned restlessly in her bed, growling and then outright whining in frustration, before glancing up at the digital clock on her nightstand for what had to be the fifteenth time in the past half hour. She sighed heavily, running a hand through her chestnut locks, before giving up completely. Sleep was obviously out of the question, and there was no need in staying in bed.

She padded into the living room of her small apartment, pausing briefly to check her cell phone. Patrick was on the road tonight, and while she'd spoken to him earlier, she kept hoping that he'd have time to call one more time, and leave her one of his sweet voicemails at the very least.

Truth be told, this was one of the few nights she actually spent at home anymore. When Patrick was home, she spent her nights in his apartment, in his bed, wrapped up in his arms. This little arrangement had been the norm for five months, and Tina swore that her own bed felt more and more foreign to her each time she returned to it.

After another half hour of trying to unwind, including a cup of herbal tea and a soak in her bathtub, Tina headed back to her bed for another try at sleep. Alas, it was to no avail, she still could not manage to coax the gentle tendrils of slumber to claim her.

"What's WRONG? I slept here for over a year before I met him!"

Tina grumbled to herself, punching her pillow heatedly.

With a sigh, she began to go over what was so different about her own bed vs. Patrick's.

"This bed is super plush. The sheets are crisp, the comforter is thick and soft, and the pillow is fluffy and ruffled. But it's…it's not quite right. It doesn't feel right, it doesn't even SMELL right."

Sad, but true. The bed that Tina had painstakingly picked out and then customized to suit her tastes was no longer cutting it. She'd always went for soft, plushy, fluffy and ruffled. Girly, but not too girly. Since she'd been with Patrick however, she'd been used to sheets that were thin, but just broken in enough to be as comfy as her favorite t-shirt—which coincidentally had been stolen from him. A firm mattress that was almost on it's last legs, and pillows that were thin, flat and to the point of needing to be replaced. The entire thing reeked of Patrick—his shampoo, his body wash, a hint of his cologne, and that special scent that belonged exclusively to him.

Tina smiled serenely, remembering how she'd taken to it immediately. She'd never had trouble sleeping there. She was relaxed and comfy, surrounded by the scents and what could only be described as the essence of her boyfriend.

It was then that she remembered something that Patrick had told her months ago, when they first began dating, and he'd given her a key to his home.

"You're always welcome here. Anytime you need to crash, whether I'm here or not, don't hesitate. My home is your home, just like my heart is your heart."

With a large smile, Tina stood from the bed she'd been attempting to sleep in, and pulled on a pair of sweatpants. From there she stuffed a weekend's worth of clothing into her overnight bag, and scribbled a quick note to her roommate—who was currently working late at the station on a high profile case—before heading to the elevator, with a smirk. She knew there would be payback coming for saying "fuck you for being able to sleep anywhere at any time!", but she wasn't worried. At the moment, the only thing on her mind was getting her ass in gear.

It took a twenty minute drive and a large cup of coffee from a 24 hour Starbucks, but, she finally made it to the slightly larger apartment downtown. With a happy sigh, she let herself in, quickly chucking the empty cup into his trashcan, and raided his refrigerator. Sure enough, a strawberry cheesecake had been left, with a note taped to the plastic cover, stating that he knew she'd probably be over, and that he knew this was her favorite dessert, and to please enjoy it.

"Patrick, you know me too well…" she murmured, before doing as he'd requested.

She settled down onto his sofa, smiling as the scent of ocean breeze began to surround and almost hug her, and almost inhaling the large slice of cheesecake she'd served herself.

From there, she stripped off the sweatpants, and padded into the bedroom, almost diving into the bed she hadn't realized she'd been pining away for this entire time. For a moment, she just laid there, blissfully taking in the feeling of his sheets, his comforter, his mattress, his pillows, and most of all, his scent. If she were completely honest with herself, the bed, and that apartment felt more like home than anything else on the planet.

Almost immediately she found her eyelids were drooping and her consciousness slowly slipping away. The only thing that could've possibly made the bed even better, was if Patrick himself had been there with her.

Her last thoughts, before she finally succumbed to the slumber she'd so desperately been seeking, went something like this.

"All I really needed was to come back to where I belong. My lover's bed."
Sign up to rate and review this story