Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 14 - Say It Will Always Be Like This - Part II

by starlightmint 1 review

Original title, I know.... my very first fanfic, and it's a Zanessa behind the scenes! Read and review, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-05-02 - Updated: 2006-05-02 - 1717 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: It's probably obvious, but I don't own any of the HSM characters or the cast or their related stuff. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

Author's Note: Just one more installment to go! And you can all thank xochrissy, who writes the amazing White Shadows, for this update. I said I wouldn't put it up until she finished her brilliant story and she finally did it! So Chrissy, this chapter is totally dedicated to you... and rightly so, as it's pure Zanessa :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14 - Say It Will Always Be Like This

Part II

Without a moment's hesitation, Zac headed for the back of the hotel, rounding the corner swiftly to the ballroom with Lucas, Monique, and Corbin trailing after him.

His eyes widened as they approached. The ballroom's French doors were flung wide open this time, with dressed-up young people floating in and out. Tables with tealights were set up in the corridors, tiny white Christmas lights sparkled all over the room, and the dance floor was populated with hundreds of stomping feet in fancy shoes.

Unconsciously, he grinned. Oh man... it's a high school prom.

And then, almost hidden in darkness at the back of the room, he saw a girl in a red dress sitting at a table, picking idly at a dish in front of her.

Nessa.

He started forward, heading toward her. Behind him, he could hear Monique make a startled noise, reaching out to grab at him, but he kept on going, shooting a strange look at her over his shoulder. Moving between the tables, he shifted chairs and jackets out of his way, his eyes on Vanessa.

Suddenly a hand grabbed his jacket from the side.

He swung around to face a stern-looking older man in a suit. "Young man, this is a private party." He looked Zac directly in the eye. "We're not looking for any extra guests at this function, all right? So you'd best just get on your way."

Zac looked down, realizing he was still wearing his Wildcat tracksuit. So... that's what Monique was trying to say. Looking up, he saw the man's mouth was set in a thin line. Turning, Zac put his hands up as if to plead for peace. But before he could speak, another voice cut in.

"It's OK, Mr. McKay. He's with me."

He felt a small hand slip into the crook of his arm, and turned to see Vanessa looking up at him. His heart lifted slightly. Hey.

"He is?" The man looked suspiciously from Vanessa to Zac. "Why..."

"He's from North High," said Vanessa smoothly. "He came straight from a game. We hardly get to see each other so it's kind of special that he's here. Even in his tracksuit."

She leaned her head on Zac's arm, her eyes pleading.

"Well... all right, Gabriella." He eyed Zac suspiciously, then nodded. "You two... have a good time."

As he wandered off, Zac turned to Vanessa, a smile on his face. "Thanks for the save."

Maybe we're OK.

But Vanessa stared at him reproachfully, dropping his arm roughly and marching off back to her table. He hurried after her, trying to turn her around. But she walked past the table and through a pair of doors at the edge of the room.

He stepped through the doors, following her, and stopped in his tracks. "Wow..."

The wedding hadn't used this area, but the doors opened onto a shimmering outdoor pool with a wide tiled area around it. Tables had been set up with tealights just like in the corridor, creating soft, intimate settings for the prom guests.

But Vanessa passed the tables and suddenly ran up a set of small stairs to sit on a raised stone ledge that enclosed the tiled area.

He tried to sit next to her, but realized he had to crane his neck to look at her, talk to her. Of course---that's why she chose it. Instead, he jumped off the ledge and stood right in front of her, trying to catch her eye. Sitting there, she was almost at eye level with him, but steadfastly refused to look at his face, staring instead at the water over his shoulder.

Just do it, Efron. Tell her everything.

"Nessa..." Letting out a breath, he felt suddenly nervous. "That thing earlier. It wasn't what you thought it was."

"That's funny." Her voice was bitter. She stared coldly at the water behind him. "Because I thought a lot of things about you, and all of them were wrong."

"No, Ness..." He cringed softly. Why does this have to be so awkward? "It was all Ashley. Everything. All along. She... kissed me."

"And you kissed back." She breathed in sharply, as if it hurt to say it. "I saw you."

"No, I didn't." He ducked his head, trying to get in her line of vision. "Could you look at me? Just look at me, Nessa. I need to tell you something."

Her head seemed to dip miserably. "I can't, Zac." She took another deep breath. "Just tell me now. Like this."

"Well..."

But he felt suddenly lost, staring at her in the soft glow of the nearby candles. His eyes traced the curve of her cheek, her mouth, the delicate shape of her eyes. She's so beautiful. A humming charge seemed to be forming in the space between them. He wanted to reach over and touch her, spark it off.

He shook his head and took a deep breath. Efron. Stop it.

"Ness... it was Ashley. Monique and Lucas and them... they found out. And I... yelled at her." A sense of guilt brushed lightly over him, but he shook his head, pushing on.

"She had... a thing for me, so she tried to keep us apart. It was all her, from the start. So we never had a real chance. She told me you were the type of girl who strings guys along, so I'd stay away from you. And she told you, through Lucas, that I was getting over someone and looking for a plaything before I went back." He hesitated. "And then... she kissed me back there. Because... she thought she had a chance."

There was a pause, then suddenly Vanessa spoke softly. "And did she?"

Zac breathed the words out as if by instinct. "Never, Ness."

But suddenly, he could see tears rolling down her face. Oh, no. He reached out instinctively, putting his arms around her.

"Ness... don't cry. Please don't cry. I'm so sorry. For everything. I never meant to hurt you like this. I... never would hurt you like this." He felt her rest her head against his shoulder. "I wish I'd never believed her. I wish I could take back everything. But Ness... it's over now. And there's still a little time left. If you... still want to try, after all this."

He paused, looking down at her hopefully. And slowly, her watery eyes lifted to meet his.

"So now you're looking at me," he said softly, his heart thrumming in his chest. "Why wouldn't you before?"

Impossibly, she smiled, and suddenly he felt her arms slide up around his neck, light as air and smooth as silk. Without thinking, he held his breath, both tantalized and terrified at what might be next.

Please, Ness.

Her voice was quiet. "You're going to think this is silly... but I knew that if I looked at you, into those eyes---I was going to cave at whatever you said."

Oh my God.

She smiled shyly at him, tears still streaking her face. And something in him seemed to cry out with pure relief as she hugged him to her tightly, a sigh escaping from her lips. He wound his arms fiercely around her waist and pulled her close. Nessa. He felt lost again, disappearing in the warmth of her body, the beating of her heart next to his.

But he realized she was still speaking, whispering softly into his ear. He grinned---it felt like they had suddenly become a secret club of two. "You know, I knew the breakup thing wasn't true. Monique told me earlier today. But the kissing thing... that was a shock."

She pulled back and rested her forehead comfortably on his. "I didn't mean to be so lame about it, the running away, hiding here, all this crying..." She sniffled again, smiling. "It was just such a crash... coming from knowing that I could be with you... and then..." She looked away, laughing sheepishly. "Well. It was just because I've liked you forever, you know that. And despite everything... I kind of never stopped."

He looked at her in wonder, a warmth flooding through his chest.

"Did you?" A smile spread across his face. "Because Ness... I liked you from the first moment I met you. It was impossible not to. And... you know I never stopped."

Her cheeks went red. He grinned, pulling her closer to him. She laughed, holding him tight again, her giggles sending warm vibrations through his body. And wrapped in her embrace, he suddenly closed the gap between them and kissed her. Her lips were soft and sweet as they moved on his, her arms around his neck pulling him deeper into her.

It's... all I ever wanted.

But suddenly she pulled away. He looked at her in concern.

"So now..." A worried look flickered across her face. Her voice was hesitant. "After all this stuff. Is it all over? You and me... is it all going to be OK?"

He looked at her, grinning.

"It's done, Ness," he said. "And you and me, right here... it already is OK."

He saw a smile rise on her face. And then before he knew it, she had moved forward again, her arms on his shoulders, her lips dangerously near to his. This time, she crossed the space between them in a long, slow kiss.

And the world seemed to spiral away as she leaned into him, pressing her body wonderfully close. And he held her tighter, intense in his focus, lost again in the beating of her heart as they melted into each other under the stars.
Sign up to rate and review this story