Categories > Movies > High School Musical > Start of Something New

Chapter 14 - Say It Will Always Be Like This - Part III

by starlightmint 10 reviews

Original title, I know.... my very first fanfic, and it's a Zanessa behind the scenes! Read and review, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Category: High School Musical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance - Published: 2006-05-03 - Updated: 2006-05-03 - 1960 words

1Moving
Disclaimer: It's probably obvious, but I don't own any of the HSM characters or the cast or their related stuff. Also, though this story involves the names of real people, it is a complete work of fiction in terms of characterization and plot.

Author's Note: Hi guys. Here it is, the very last installment of this story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14 - Say It Will Always Be Like This

Part III

Holding Zac's hand, Vanessa led the way back into the ballroom, feeling as if both of them were encased in a warm glow together. She looked back at him, squeezing his hand as if to confirm he was still there.

He grinned, squeezing back. "Ness... check it out."

He nodded to the dance floor and she looked over and laughed. From across the room, they could see Lucas and Monique on the edge of the dance floor, still in their costumes and rocking out to the song blasting through the DJ speakers.

Of course.

She looked up at Zac, who grinned back. Hand in hand, they bounded out on the floor, running up to their friends in excitement. In mid-spin, Lucas suddenly saw them and ran out to meet them. He hugged Vanessa, sweeping her up in the air and whirling her around.

"Hey... you did it." He grinned at her, looking over at Zac. "You guys look so happy."

She laughed. "Well, you know we couldn't have done it without you." She hugged him again, suddenly remembering something. "Oh God, Luke! After all this, I can't believe it's your last night here." She let go, looking at him. "Hey, did you end up getting your steak?"

"No," he said, shaking his head in mock bitterness. "But the buffet here had prime rib, so I don't feel totally let down."

"And he ate enough of it too." Monique came up beside them, pinching Lucas's arm. "Thanks for dumping me on the dance floor, buddy."

"Anytime," said Lucas, throwing his arm around Monique's shoulders.

Zac and Vanessa laughed. "Man, I wish I had spent more time with you guys," said Zac, shaking Lucas's hand. "You'd better have a safe trip tomorrow. We're going to hang out when I get back."

"Shaking hands, what is this?" Lucas wrapped Zac up in a bear hug. "That's what you can look forward to when hanging out with me."

Zac laughed, almost losing his balance as Lucas let go of him. "Inappropriate touching?"

"Just the tip of the iceberg," said Lucas, winking at Zac and grinning.

"And you only wish he was kidding." Monique laughed, turning to Zac and Vanessa and hugging them both. "Hey, I'm so happy for you guys. I know it's late in the game... but at least you've got some time still."

Vanessa looked over at Zac, smiling. I'm sure it will be enough.

Suddenly, Lucas started dancing back and forth, bumping his hip against Monique's. "OK. I think it's time to dance, guys. You'd better start busting a move before the night is over. And before I've totally burned up the dance floor." He hooted and Monique whacked him lightly on the arm, laughing.

Vanessa laughed. "Haven't you had enough yet? We've been dancing all day."

"Hey." Lucas pointed at her. "Who's leaving tomorrow? Right here. Remember, I said no complaining. You didn't even get me a steak today."

"All right, all right," she said, rolling her eyes and starting to move her shoulders to the music, Zac following suit. "If dancing's what you want, dancing's what you'll get."

Laughing, Monique guided them to a clear spot at the edge of the dance floor, all of them dancing together. Lucas nodded to a group of nearby prom goers who were staring at them with odd expressions. He spun round and did a jump-kick before leaning over to Monique. "It's like they've never seen people at a dance before," he said, shrugging.

"Hey, where's Corbin?" said Zac, looking around. "Did he go to bed already?"

"Maybe he's inspecting the Playstation for scratches and smears," said Monique, laughing. She looked at Vanessa. "Lucas finally told him the truth."

Lucas gave her a withering look. "No, he's getting changed." He looked at Zac and Vanessa. "We were all in our costumes, and his was an actual basketball uniform. Not likely you're going to sneak into a prom wearing that. So he went to change."

"And a sequined shirt wasn't a red flag?" Vanessa raised her eyebrows, tugging at Lucas's sleeve.

"Guess Mr. McKay is getting slow in his old age." Zac elbowed Vanessa, and she laughed.

But Zac jumped as the real Mr. McKay floated past, giving them all a stern look. "Montez, Evans, McKessie," he said, nodding to them. "You might want to keep the dancing a little more... restrained. Everyone is to enjoy their prom without the chance of bodily injury."

"Sure, Mr. McKay," said Lucas, grinning and tipping his hat at him. "Thanks a lot."

Mr. McKay nodded again, moving back out from the dance floor. They all looked at each other and burst out into laughter.

"Nice work, Evans," said Vanessa. She bumped Lucas with her hip. "You're such a ham."

He laughed. But suddenly, a stricken look crossed his face. "Hey, is that..."

Vanessa looked in the direction of Lucas's stare. At the entrance, there stood Corbin, wearing dress pants and a button-up shirt. And with him was a familiar blonde wearing a pink dress. Ashley.

Lucas and Monique looked at Zac and Vanessa uncertainly. But Corbin was already approaching, while Ashley waited by the doorway. He touched Zac and Vanessa's shoulders softly. "Guys, can I have a word?"

Turning them around near some tables, he leaned in close. "I saw her in the lobby. She just arrived... and guys, she seems really sad."

"After what she's done, she should be," said Zac. He seemed harsh, but his eyes flickered over to Ashley with what looked like sympathy.

"I'm not going to make any excuses for what she's done," said Corbin. "But... she does seem genuinely sorry about everything. She was still crying a bit when I saw her. And it is her last night here. I just thought she might want to spend it with us." He shrugged, putting his hands up in the air. "You don't really owe anything to her. And she says she'll go if you don't want her here. So it's your call."

Vanessa saw Zac look over again at Ashley. Near the entrance, Ashley's face looked puffy. Her eyes seemed raw and vulnerable, and she clutched her handbag tightly, as if defending it from some unknown assailant.

"Zac." Vanessa tugged at his arm and he looked down at her. "Well, we know about everything. She can't really do anything anymore. And... you guys have been friends for so long." She slipped her hand into his, squeezing it. "It's just one night, I guess. And I think... it could do her a lot of good."

They looked over at Ashley, who was looking back at them now. Zac nodded slightly at her. He turned, looking at Corbin. "OK. Well... sure."

Corbin nodded, and in a few moments he had brought Ashley to their side.

"Hi," she said nervously, twisting the cord of her bag.

They looked at her in silence for a second. Then Zac suddenly broke it.

"Ash..." He seemed ambivalent. "I'm not happy with what you did. Neither of us are. But... it's your last night here. And I know you've worked hard. So... let's just call a truce for tonight."

She smiled and nodded, but suddenly Vanessa couldn't stand it anymore. "Here," she said, sweeping Ashley up into a hug. Then she looked at her openly. "I don't think either of us want to be involved in beating you down over this. You're a strong girl and a talented actress. And you can be way better than the person you just showed us during this shoot. So... give it a shot, and I'll be right behind you 100 per cent."

Ashley's face began to crumple. She hugged Vanessa again. "I'm so sorry. To both of you."

And as she let go, suddenly Zac approached, letting out a heavy sigh and putting his arms around Ashley instead. "Nessa's right." He smiled as Ashley looked up at him with watery eyes, a hopeful smile on her face. "When you're not out doing... this... you can be pretty great. So we'll both be behind you 100 per cent, Ash."

"Awww!" And suddenly Lucas had his arms around them too. And Monique. And Corbin. And finally Vanessa put her arms around everyone. Lucas lurched them around, laughing. "We are the six-headed, twelve-legged ultimate Disney performing machine!" he shouted, and the group hug quickly collapsed as everyone doubled over in laughter.

A new song boomed out over the speakers, and Lucas leapt up. "Oh my God. Best song ever. Dance floor, stat!" He pointed at all of them and moved back to an empty spot in the middle of the dance floor. "Ah, what the hell," Vanessa heard him say, and saw him do another jump kick in the air.

She shook her head. Lucas.

Then smiling, Zac took Vanessa's hand again, and sinking deep into the crowd, they found Lucas and Monique. Corbin and Ashley appeared beside them, and suddenly they were all dancing together, breathless within the vibrating crowd of happy promgoers. In the midst of it, Vanessa felt a familiar twinge, as though she were missing all of them already. But shaking her head, she opened her eyes and focused on her friends.

Here with them, it's perfect. She looked up at Zac, and he put his arm around her, grinning and kissing the top of her head. And she felt a surge of happiness as she looked around at the shining faces of each of her friends, pulling out all the stops to dance to the song. She put up her arms to join them, shimmying over next to Lucas and Ashley, and laughed. Let's just say it will always be like this, she thought, forever and ever and ever....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Long Last Author's Note Ever: It may be obvious already, but I like to think that the gang was dancing to Mint Car by the Cure at the end. Actually, I like to think they was subconsciously listening to Mint Car through the entirety of chapter 14, because God knows I was. It's like the perfect bouncy summer love song, and exactly the right way to end it, in my books at least. I really urge you to seek it out if you can.

So there it is... the end of the Start of Something New. Twenty-one installments written in pretty much 21 days (April 9 to 30 - the last two were posted well after they were written, tee hee), surviving an FF deletion and a transfer to two new services. Thank you SO much for reading this and for all of your reviews, especially xochrissy for all her wonderful, wonderful words---they all meant so much to me, and it felt so good to be putting something out there that all of you loved as much as I did!

I hope you stay with me as I branch out into more HSM fics... I'm currently doing oneshots for the Romance Challenge at fanfiction.net (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2919496/1/) but plan to do another story in the future if possible.

And we may come back to this story in the future, either in one-shots or a sequel, but at the moment I think I'm happy with them staying on the dance floor semi-permanently. It's all I feel I can do with them right now.

Ohhh, but man! You don't know how much I'm going to miss them all...
Sign up to rate and review this story