Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > Have Faith In Me

Jealousy

by coffeeaddict 0 reviews

Things start to pick up as Michiru gets used to the world of the living. I know this might not be exactly how people picture some of the Bleach characters but hey, I'm trying :)

Category: Bleach - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Abarai Renji,Kuchiki Rukia,Kurosaki Ichigo,Matsumoto Rangiku - Published: 2010-08-29 - Updated: 2010-08-30 - 3763 words

0Unrated
Stepping into the World of the Living felt strange. I had only been a few times, Hollow hunting with my class, and each time it felt different. This time, it felt suffocating. I could feel tension in the air. And a smotheringly strong spiritual pressure seemed to have settled in Karakura town. "Are you sure Captain Hitsugaya is the only captain here?" I asked as Yumichika stepped through the gate behind me.
"Remember, this is where Ichigo lives," he answered. "You know, the Ryoka?"
"Oh. Well. I guess I overreacted."
He began to lead me toward a row of townhouses, where I assumed they were all staying. I began to wonder how they were paying for it if they were renting it; surely they didn't have any yen. But as we approached, the pressure began to feel stronger. "Is this where he lives?" I asked.
Yumichika nodded. "His family is crazy. Especially the father. Don't let them bother you. And here. These are some of Isane's clothes." He reached into our shared messenger bag to pull out a shirt, pants, a skirt, and other things that looked human. "I guessed you were the same size."
"Thanks."
We reached the house and I began to recognize the different pressures. I could definitely feel Renji's and Tôshirô's, and possibly Ikkakku's. Yumichika peered inside the door, making sure the family was unaware, and we skittered upstairs, where I could definitely hear Rangiku through one of the doors. I had to admit, Rangiku made me nervous, and I stopped for a moment, tugging at my uniform nervously. My necklace began to itch, which was typical when I was nervous.
"Come on. You know nobody has a thing for Rangiku except for herself," Yumichika said, raising an eyebrow at me.
"Speak for yourself," I said sarcastically.
He opened the door slowly, revealing a roomfull of people to me. The Ryoka was seated on a bed next to Rukia, scowling, and all the others were on the floor. Renji stood up, inspecting us as we came through the door. My heart began to hammer under everyone's stare.
"Yumichika? You didn't pick up any ugly germs from outside, did you?" asked Ikkakku, obviously teasing. "I think I see your eyes drooping."
"Silence," Yumichika muttered. "You obviously caught all of them for me."
The room laughed raucously, and suddenly I felt out of place. These people were all beautiful. Flawless. Especially Yumichika, Renji, and Rangiku. I'd grown used to Yumichika, but Rangiku was a different story. Everyone looked at her. All the time.
"This is Michiru," Yumichika said to the Ryoka. "She's a student. Play nice."
The red-haired boy looked me over, smiling slightly. "Ichigo Kurosaki. Nice to meet you," he said politely, which shocked me.
"Hi," I stammered. "I'm Michiru Kobe."
Yumichika flopped down rather gracefully beside Ikkakku, so I followed suit, finding the smallest corner of the room the only place I could sit. Captain Hitsugaya spoke up.
"So, now that we're all here..." he started, standing up. He was much smaller than I expected, but I ignored it. "Let's discuss the obvious problem. We all know how tough it was to deal with the Espadas that showed up last time." I resisted the urge to gasp. Espadas were awful. I shivered, and Renji glanced over at me, slightly concerned. "News is that Aizen is sending a few Arrancars back to try and finish us, but we aren't going to let that happen. Are we?"
Hitsugaya's voice disappeared from my hearing. Renji smiled at me reassuringly, mouthing "it's ok" to me. I could feel my face turn bright red and I smiled nervously, trying to hide in my robes. As his gaze returned to Hitsugaya, I relaxed, but I felt incredibly shaken. Scared and worried and concerned all at the same time. The conversation slipped back into my hearing.
"...So I want Yumichika, Ikkakku, and Rangiku at Orihime's house. I will take Ichigo and go toward Urahara Shoten. Rukia, Renji, and Michiru, you wait here for anythhing that might attack Ichigo's family. We know he's part of what the Arrancars are after."
My heart stopped. I was paired with Renji? I felt incredibly uncomfortable. I had hoped I was going with Ikkakku or Yumichika, especially since they were my friends, but why Renji?
"Let's go, then," Ikkakku said eagerly, bounding to his feet. The room emptied by teams, and soon I was sitting alone with Rukia and Renji.
They both looked at me expectantly, as if I was supposed to whip out my zanpakuto and do a trick. I shifted again. Rukia spoke up first. "Which district are you from?" she asked suddenly.
"Zaraki," I said quietly. Her eyes widened.
"Oh. So you must be training under Captain Zaraki? Which seat are you trying for?"
"Actually, I've been slated to take Assistant Captain Shuhei's place when he promotes to captain." I didn't want to sound arrogant so I made sure to speak with a certain amount of humbleness. After all, I didn't have a rank yet, and Renji and Rukia both were very influential in the Thirteen Court Guard Companies. They were my superiors.
"Straight out of the Academy?" asked Renji. I blushed.
"Yes, sir," I answered.
He smiled. "You don't have to call me sir, Michiru. You're about to be my equal, right?"
"M-maybe!"
Rukia spoke up. "Are you being evaluated by how you help us?" she asked.
I only nodded, knowing that if I spoke my voice would crack. Suddenly, Renji perked up, making me jump.
"Kobe! I know you!" he said, pointing at me. I shrank into the corner, expecting the worst. "You were with Captain Kuchiki and I on the Academy trip to Tokyo, weren't you? You were in my group. I graded your first Konsô."
How did he remember? "Y-yes, I was. And you did. Group three," I stuttered. "Masahiko and Shikoku were my partners."
He laughed. "Masahiko. Poor guy, I think he was scared of his own shadow. But you! You were definitely top of your class. And I've never seen someone with blue hair."
"Does it bother you???" I gasped, immediately trying to pull it back. "I can pull it up-"
"It's fine," said Rukia quickly. She smiled at me warmly. "Don't let him bother you."
"And don't listen to her!" Renji said sarcastically, tossing something at her I didn't see.
I knew Renji and Rukia were well connected. Which was why I tried not to like him so much. They were obviously much better friends than anyone in the other Companies, and it almost broke my heart. I had no friends but Ikkakku and Yumichika, and it was only because when I'd first entered the Academy I was charged with cleaning the 11th Company barracks. Ikkakku got me into loads of trouble with he and Yumichika.
For a moment, I was scared that watching Renji and Rukia together would start to hurt me. But Rukia noticed my silence. "Michiru? What's wrong?" she asked.
I shifted on the hardwood floor, feeling both their gazes on me. "I'm...not used to being around such recognised people," I blurted.
"Recognised?"
"Well...I mean, you're Lady Rukia, and you're Renji Abarai...two names that everyone in the whole Seireiti know," I mumbled.
"Don't feel out of place. And you don't have to call me Lady," she said comfortingly. "I noticed you looked a little shaken when you came in the door."
"That was because I'm scared of Rangiku," I answered truthfully. Renji laughed.
"Rangiku is harmless. All boobs. Not much else," he joked. "She drinks a LOT. Mainly with Captain Kyoraku."
I managed a laugh. "Really? All the guys in Yumichika's company--"
"I know. At least you have brains," Rukia said. "She's a little...blonde."
"You don't have to sit in the corner," Renji offered. "You can get on the bed with Rukia or something."
Carefully, I crawled onto the bed with her, scratching at my necklace. I noticed that one of the loops had broken, leaving the beads dangling down toward my clevage. I picked at it and my necklace came to pieces in my fingers, beads spilling onto the floor and bed. They laughed.
"You're a jittery one, I'll give you that," said Renji, reaching down to scoop up my beads. "How are you with your Shikai and Bankai?"
"I have Shikai mastered and I'm very close to achieving Bankai. My zanpakutô is very picky," I said, suddenly feeling comfortable. I picked up the beads off the bed slowly. "I can't externalize it yet."
"So you're very far along for a fresh graduate. That's good to know," he said. He stood up, placing the beads in my hand and closing my fingers around them. I was absolutely sure he felt my hand tremble under his touch, my stomach churning. "I'm glad to see good students graduating from the Academy."
Rukia looked at him questioningly, and I knew it wasn't a look for me to see. But I caught it. Renji stepped away from me and over to her far side, leaning against the wall as I began to thread my beads back together. They exchanged another look, something that seemed tense, and probably something else I wasn't supposed to see. But I was going to play dumb. I wanted to be friends with both of them, especially if I was going to be fighting beside them soon.
"Did your mother have this color hair?" asked Rukia, reaching over to touch my hair. Trying to change the subject.
"My father did," I corrected, tying my necklace back together. "I got the wave from my mother."
"I think it's lovely. It's turquoise," she continued. "You've never cut it?"
I could feel her playing with it, probably marvelling at the length. It was long; I sat on it accidentally a lot. "I only cut it once, and I didn't like it. so I just let it go."
"Renji, yours is almost just as long," she said, and Renji scoffed.
"My hair is nowhere near as long," he argued. "Look."
My breath caught in my chest. I'd only seen him with his hair down once, and it was beautiful. I watched helplessly as his deep red hair spilled down to his shoulders, framing his sharp face. He noticed my look, his eyes locking with mine. I snatched my eyes away to my necklace, catching my breath conspicuously.
"It's close," Rukia said.
"No it isn't! No offense to her, but only women should have superlong hair, I think."
"What about Captain Ukitake?"
"He's different--"
"No he isn't!"
They were obviously bored, or trying to make light of the situation. They knew that when the Arrancar came there wouldn't be time for joking. I knew it too, but I was trying not to think about it. And trying not to stare as Renji tied his hair back up.
It silenced for a moment, and I felt as if they were watching me work on my necklace. I nearly jumped when Rukia spoke.
"Do you think we should do a quick patrol?" she asked, obviously aiming the question at Renji. "I don't feel any changes in the pressures, and I feel everyone is ok. But do you want to just check everything out?"
"Sure. You stay here and I'll take Michiru around the district," Renji said simply. Rukia almost glared.
"I meant for all of us to go," she said lowly.
"Well, somebody has to stay and look after Isshin and the girls. They like you. Why don't you stay?"
"Why don't we leave Michiru then?"
"Because they don't know her, and I think she needs to go out on a patrol. Just to get her used to Karakura."
"Then we should all go."
Suddenly, his tone changed. "I won't say it again. I'm asking you as a superior to stay here, Rukia."
She glared. "Of course."
Renji motioned for me to follow him. "Change clothes in the bathroom and follow me," he said, opening the door for me. My nerves began to kick into overdrive. He pointed at the bathroom door, so I quickly shuffled in and began to peel out of my uniform.
Isane's clothes had been tucked into my robe and when I noticed them I realized they weren't what I expected. And I began to question if they were Isane's, or Soi Fon's.
Black tanktop. And not a normal one. A black t-shirt that had been snipped and cut down to the shape of a tanktop, the front snipped low to my boobs. It definitely fit well, a little tight, but I had to make do. The pants were skinny fit, ripped in the knees. And what shoes? I left the bathroom, searching for Yumichika's bag. He had forgotten to leave my shoes. Which wasn't a good thing.
"And you said you didn't like Rangiku? Aren't those her clothes?" asked Renji, who was waiting on me at the bottom of the stairs.
"Yumichika said these were Isane's--"
"Yeah, well, it looks nice. No shoes?"
"He didn't leave them for me. They're still in his bag."
He snickered. "Figures. Well, come on, we probably don't have much time."

For the first few minutes of walking, Renji was silent. The night air was cool and comfortable, and even though I was walking barefoot, the sidewalk was smooth. My zanpakuto was slung over my shoulder, bouncing against my back as I walked. His was slung over the opposite shoulder, and he made no noise as we plodded through the night.
"Is Rukia angry with me?" I asked as we went along, shoving my hands in my pockets.
"No. She probably just wanted out of the house. Which, I don't blame her for, but if we left you there and Isshin found you, I'm not sure what he would think. Although he probably wouldn't care. Rukia is better suited to dealing with Kurosaki's father." He gazed up at the moon as he walked, giving me a gorgeous view of his profile. For a moment I was able to study his tattoos, but I forced myself to watch the sidewalk ahead. "I really hate making her mad though. But, whatever. Hey, how long have you known Ikkakku and Yumichika?" he asked.
"For a while now. Since I was new in the Academy. They're my best friends," I answered. "I know it's odd for women to befriend people in the 11th Company and all but I think Ikkakku kinda kept me as a pet, to be honest."
He chuckled. "Probably. He used to talk to me a lot about the newest students. He liked you. Said you had potential." My eyes widened. "Told me you were pretty and extremely headstrong. Even Yumichika was jealous."
"Yumichika is jealous of me?" I asked incredulously. "I thought he was only jealous of Rangiku and Orihime."
"Apparently not. What's your class rank right now?"
"...first, I think," I said bashfully. Was he hitting on me? No. Just being honest.
"So you really are Assistant Captain material. As if I should doubt Ikkakku's judgement. I think he should step up to take Aizen's spot myself. He's the only other Assistant Captain who's achieved Bankai beside me. And possibly you, if you can externalize it."
"I'm not an officer yet, sir," I said quietly.
He touched my shoulder gently. "I think you'll make it. Don't worry about it so much."
We rounded the corner, and suddenly I realized that the rest of the sidewalk and road was under construction. It was all gravel and chunks of concrete. And of course, I was tender footed. I searched for a way to avoid it, like maybe a retaining wall I could walk on, but there was nothing for me to walk on. I supressed a whine.
"No shoes. I forgot," he said, laughing. "Maybe you could have worn Rukia's?"
"I don't think she would have liked that--"
He stepped in front of me, stooping a bit. "Here. Hop on my back, I'll walk across."
I faltered. "I...I-I weigh a-a lot are you sure???"
"Michiru, don't be so nervous. I won't drop you. And there's nothing Rukia can say to you about it anyway." Why was he involving Rukia in this? "Hop on," he ordered again. So I did.
Carefully, I wrapped my legs around his waist, letting him loop his arms under my legs. I wrapped my arms around his neck, peering around his hair to look ahead. And I nearly fell off his back. Just because I realized I was clinging to Renji Abarai.
"Hold on. But don't choke me," he said. I tightened my grip on him slightly.
He started to walk across the gravel and the motion made my body bob up and down against his back as if this was meant to tease me. I could feel his perfect build through his button-down shirt, and he smelled like fresh oranges and flowers. I could feel my face and neck flush brightly as I settled my head next to his, so I tried to avoid looking at him. Our cheeks brushed together lightly as he walked.
I struggled to make conversation. "Do you like Captain Kuchiki?" I asked suddenly.
He sighed. "I do. I really do. He's an amazing Captain and sometimes I regret trying to cut him down like I did during Rukia's execution. But I understand his conduct now," he answered quickly. "Whose Company did you apply for?"
"Eighth, under Captain Kyoraku. Even though he has Nanao I thought I could be a great third seat. I also applied for second, simply because I like Soi Fon." Wondering if he would notice, I leaned a little farther forward against his shoulders. For a moment, I thought I felt him shift as if he knew what I was doing, but I wasn't sure. "I also thought I might like to take Izuru's place. But I know there hasn't been anyone selected for Ichimaru's spot yet."
"You should apply for eleventh or sixth," he said. "I'm sure you could take the fourth seat under Ikkakku well or you could be my Adjutant."
Renji's Adjutant. My mind reeled at the thought.
"I'm not sure, at this point," I said as we reached sidewalk again. He sat me down gently, turning to make sure I was stable. I balked at our close proximity, nearly falling backwards.
I'm still not sure what happened. I began to fall, reaching out for something to hold onto, so he grabbed my arm. And yet I still stumbled backward, through the gravel, landing flat on my back with Renji not far behind.
I expected a hard hit from Renji falling on me, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Until I looked up. He had landed face first in my cleavage, making me nearly scream. How stupid of me. How ridiculous.
"Assistant Captain! Sir, I am so sorry!" I rambled, sitting up to help him up. I didn't care that there was dirt and gravel stuck to my back. I had just embarrassed and probably traumatized the Assistant Captain of the Sixth Company. If I had been bleeding from every orafice I wouldn't have cared.
"It's ok," he said calmly. He brushed himself off quickly. "That wasn't a bad landing."
He said it so cooly that I was wondering if he meant it. "Are you ok?'
"Fine. You, on the other hand, are bleeding. Come here."
I hadn't felt a stab or scratch, but when he reached up to wipe the side of my neck clean, I felt an intense burn. And not the romantic kind. His expression darkened.
"Michiru, you're bleeding a lot. What did you land on?"
I looked down, my eyes immediately going to a broken bottle. "That, I guess," I said. "A few more inches and that might have gone through the back of my neck."
"It almost did. Let's head back and get you patched up...I don't want you to get that infected or anything."
I touched the scratch, wondering how bad it was. I had learned a kidô to fix shallow wounds, so I murmured it to myself, feeling it close up slowly with only a slight twinge of pain. Renji heard me muttering to myself.
"Did you ask me something?" he questioned.
"No, I just used a kidô. Nothing big," I said, and then realized how arrogant I sounded. "I mean...it's not really a big deal because I fixed my scratch and--"
"You fixed it?"
I nodded slowly.
"Like really healed it over?" he asked again. "Let me see."
He yanked my head over, studying my neck. I could only stand there, slightly in pain from his grip in my hair, until he had inspected it thoroughly.
"You did. Where did you learn that? That's Fourth Company stuff," he said, releasing me. "Like, first and second chair Fourth Company stuff."
"I watched Isane one time, and that's all. I looked it up and taught myself," I answered. He gawked at me.
"You just watched her?"
"Well, I had to look it up and read about it..."
He laughed, turning to walk farther down the street. "I can't believe this. I've been outclassed by a student!" I almost felt insulted, until I felt his tone. He was joking.
And I had never seen him so lighthearted. He laughed and told me all sorts of problems he'd had trying to learn kidô in the Academy, and how Rukia had always outdone him there. Normally one of the most serious and determined of all the officers, he was joking with me and telling me all sorts of silly things about living outside the Seireiti. I wasn't entirely sure what to think. Or how to react to him.
When I stayed silent, he noticed. "Something bothering you?" he asked.
I listened to our feet against the concrete for a moment, contemplating my answer. "No. I'm just listening," said slowly.
"I like that. You're going to have a great evaluation. And something tells me that--"
We both felt it. There was an immense change in pressure, somewhere, and it was strong. We stopped dead in our tracks. And I knew exactly what it was and where; the pressure washed over me like a humid breeze and it scared me.
"Espada. In the park, just around the corner," I said, spitting it out like a robot before I could stop myself.
Renji looked at me with wide eyes. "Are you sure?"
I fished in my pocket for the Soul Candy that Yumichika had given me. "Absolutely."
Sign up to rate and review this story