Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

The Reckoning

by StopThePress 1 review

Will the be saved? Can they be saved?

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Horror - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2010-08-30 - Updated: 2010-08-30 - 3379 words - Complete

0Unrated
Seven hours and exactly Seven hundred-four undead carcasses have been plowed over by the death vehicle we planned to escape in. Gerard and I sat stark and awake hearing them screech and moan with anger as they decided to jump in front of the bus with such vigor. It was as if they thought they'd become some kind of unbeatable force. Like they could put a hand in front of the vehicle and cause it to halt. Ken revved the engine and with a bored sigh he plowed through his seven hundred-fifth zombie. Five hundred had been the milestone two hours prior and now the one thousandth would call for a proper celebration. I jerked forward as I still felt the collision of the body hitting the bus.

Gerard sighed impatiently next to me as I reassured him we'd get somewhere in time. We were finally out of Monroeville and somewhere outside of Philadelphia, a suburb, what have you. I tried my best to stay calm. I hated long rides--car rides, bus rides, whatever--I wanted to get out just as much as he did. Although, I knew we were probably in the safest place we could be at that time.

The other two buses followed ours in uniform. We were clearing the path for them so they could get through easily. Soon enough, it was becoming monotonous counting the number of zombies while the people on the bus behind us probably slept soundly.

I twisted in my seat realizing that I had to go to the restroom. It was too bad we forgot to build one in there. I ignored it trying to do the unthinkable--sit back and fall asleep.

"Are you seriously trying to go to sleep?" Gerard asked bothered by my optimism. I sighed knowing that it was a bad idea. Even though, my eyes were burning with fatigue. I was sure that my head was going to explode if my bladder didn't first. I could feel my eyes drying with red cracks deep into them.

"I guess not." I sighed annoyed. I clenched my jaw angered that I couldn't even accidentally just slip into a small coma. I squeezed the bridge of my nose as I sat up alertly.

"I know you're tired but if something happens and we have to get off immediately, I don't want you to be half-sleep and trying to protect yourself." He reasoned.

"If something happens? We've been driving aimlessly for seven-fucking-hours and I have to piss like a race horse!" I honestly didn't intend to get angry with him but I was getting death trap fever. I crossed my legs trying to suppress the urge. I sighed situating myself in the seat comfortably. He looked away waiting to receive an apology. I was sorry, I just didn't feel like telling him. It felt like if I turned my attention to something other than my bladder, I would have to go worse.

I looked to Frank and Serena who were cuddled up next to each other in the seats across from us. They were sleeping peacefully. My eyes glared with envy. They weren't even shaken by the persistent pounding of dead bodies. Terry and Nicole were the same way. I looked around the bus noticing that Gerard and I were the only people not sleeping (excluding Ken). I turned back to him seeing sunlight through the slits in the sides of the shuttle. It was bright, mostly meaning that it was the early afternoon or the late morning. I huffed sitting back once again. Becoming frustrated trying to add and subtract hours to figure out what time it really was. Then I gave up. What would be the point trying to find out the time when you don't have a clue what day it is?

I smoothed the chocolate brown bangs out of my face. My eyes slowly closed on their own as my body unwound. A long sigh was exhaled next to me. I felt his body do the same as his head lied effortlessly on my shoulder. Our breathing slowed as the urge of having to go slowed and then stopped. My head slid sideways feeling his soft hair on my cheek.

For at least thirty three minutes, it felt as though nothing in the world mattered. That what was going on around us really wasn't happening. Our bodies flowed through short dreams like sand through fingers. Nothing mattered then and that was the most beautiful thing about sleeping.

I can remember feeling like my soul was dancing carelessly in blackness without a care in the world. My arms swayed back and forth with my eyes completely closed. My surroundings developed into a vast forest. I comfortably let my body fall to the ground where tulips and sunflowers grew in between my fingertips. I laughed seeing that I was completely naked. I rolled around laughing joyfully. My revolutions ceased as I felt familiar skin meet my shoulder. I opened my eyes to meet a hazel pair with a gleaming white smile. He, too, was completely bereft of any type of covering. He took my hand and brought it to his face. I felt the soft flesh slowly as my thumb brushed his bottom lip. Our faces edged closer as our smiles grew wider against each others lips. His lips were as soft as the peddles of the roses we graced. As moist as a desert after a long rain. His hair I grabbed with my free hand felt like pure silk. He stroked his hands through my hair that nearly met my hips. His hands felt like heaven and his taste like fresh air. We pulled back noticing that the sky had grown darker and the clouds began to hover heavily. We jumped up feeling something within ourselves urging us to run. Hand in hand we ran without knowing where we were going. It was as if we knew what it was but at the same time, had no clue. Our hands grew clammy with fear as our surroundings began to dim and the mood became dreary. We kept running until we were forced to stop. We heard the ghastly moans. The screech filled our ears as the sound of uncoordinated running came toward us. We looked into each others eyes knowing our destiny. Standing close together, facing each other, our lips moved in unison.


"Until the end of everything..."

In unison we looked up to the opening sky as rain drops fell on us. Cascading down our bodies. I could feel it burning on my arms and shoulders and some on my legs. I flinched toward him as it started to feel like acid running down the sensitive creases of my skin. I refused to scream. Then, I felt a cold, ghost-like hand pulling me away. We were still surrounded by them but this person who grabbed me didn't seem bothered with the fact that we were being surrounded.

"No..." I urged pulling back with greater force. I looked up to see the iciest blue eyes I've ever laid mine on. His face grew with anger as I didn't want to leave. This was where I belonged. This was my destiny. I looked into his chilling orbs and finally recognized the face that went along with it. This short brown hair that spiked up an inch and a half. His eyes looked less vacant than usual as he took a final pull and ran with me.

"No!" I screamed as they parted way to make room for us to run. I looked back at him just standing there. He knew what his destiny was all along. I didn't want him to go alone.

We ran into the black abyss of dead trees and crabgrass. My feet splintering painfully under me, when I noticed that there were no more dead trees or trees for that matter. Darkness surrounded us. Pure darkness.


"Shane! Come on! Get up now!" My eyes pried themselves open to a panic-stricken Gerard trying to wake me. I saw a stray tear run down his face.

"Wh-What?" I said totally discombobulated from reality.

"We gotta go!" He urged yanking me from the seat and running outside of the bus where everyone stood armed. My hand graced my hip, feeling the pistol in the holster. I pulled it out gaining strength and balance. My eyes scanned my surroundings as I noticed that only the people on our bus were standing around.

"Gee, where's everyone else?" He turned to me with his green eyes dimmed. Tears running freely down his childlike face. His mouth parted to say but I embraced him with everything I could. I saw the flames rise from behind where our bus sat. "I'm sorry." I whispered. His body went weak in my arms. He refused to sob but bowed his head down and bit his lip. I rubbed his back reassuringly. I couldn't tell him that everything was going to be alright. I couldn't even tell him everything was going to go as planned. Well, for one thing, there was no plan. We had no idea where we were and everything was just completely unpredictable from that point on.

I felt his warm tears cascade the sleeves of my shirt.

"I'm sorry." I said once more as he took his fingers into mine and squeezed tightly. Normally it would have hurt but that day, whatever day it may have been, nothing physically effected me anymore. I knew how he felt, though. Not only could I feel it, I've lost quite a few people. Not in the way he lost Matt, but loss, nonetheless. I ran my fingers through his silk-like hair. He rested his head deep in my shoulder. I saw Frank and Mikey huddle far ahead just standing there with their heads down. They, too, felt that Matt was an important component of their band. Even though he was a tech for them, he was still apart of them. As a friend, a member of the band and a brother.

My head snapped up once I heard those fleeting footsteps. It was as if they moved quicker in bunches than singularly. Gerard suddenly tensed and grabbed the gun on his hip.

"We need to try and move everything out of here before they come!" CJ warned with worried eyes.

"I don't get why we can't keep driving. The further we get, the harder for them to follow us." Nicole said weak with fatigue. Her eyes drooped with fear and the crimson of her hair seemed to fade softly.

"We can't keep running!" Ken exclaimed.

"Well we have to do something soon or else we're fucked. They're coming!" I turned the safety off of the pistol and readied myself for the unexpected. Gerard did the same beside me as ten of them spilled out of the trees. Screeching and hissing their way to us. I fired two shots seeing Ken get back into the bus. He hopped in the driver's seat and started it up again.

"Come on get in!" I was preoccupied with aiming for the head as Gerard leaped passed me and grabbed my arm. One of them was gaining its speed as we were almost three feet apart from each other. He shot it in the head as he pulled me in and we all took off once more. I tried to collect myself on the floor as Ken put his weight on the gas. He helped me to a seat as I put the safety on the gun once more and stuck it back into the holster.

"Are you okay?" He panted out of breath.

"I'm fine. Thank you." I focused on Ken's speed and direction. We were following a small road with trees surrounding either side. He was going at least eighty miles per hour in a straight direction on a narrow road. I knew this wasn't going to go well. And as soon as you knew it, before we could stop, we reached a dead end. The vehicle came to a screeching halt before it flipped and made three revolutions into a ravine.

It all happened so fast. I grabbed Gerard's hand in hopes that the bus would just stop. Instead, I was thrown on my back to the floor of the bus, then to the sides. I saw everything in the back fly out of the doors along with CJ, Nicole and Terry. My hands remained laced with Gerard's who felt lifeless besides me as it made it's last revolution. When it stopped turning over, I caught my breath and screamed in pain as I arched my back inward making it worse. I turned on my stomach trying to catch my balance as Gerard's bloodied face met mine and tried to help me up. We both failed, falling back to our stomachs and gasping for air. We crawled out from the back seeing everything we packed spilled everywhere. I sobbed hopelessly as I could feel the pain in my back increasing. Putting my hand to my hip and feeling nothing. I rolled flat on my back and winced as Gerard stood over me. I saw that his nose was broken and he had a gash on his head that bled profusely. He bent down to me giving me his hand. I sobbed louder as the pain went from my shoulder blades to my lower back.

"It hurts! It hurts so bad!" I pleaded in agonizing pain. "I don't think I'm gonna make it, Gee." I shook my head.

"You will! You will, just hold on. You're all I have." He whispered beside me sobbing harder. My head rolled around seeing Mikey's lifeless body beside me. I tried to catch my breath with my sobs seeing his face so pale, so unsettled, killed me inside to look. I knew it was doing much more damage to Gerard. For, he lost another brother. Although, this time, it was his biological brother. For at least three minutes I forgot about how much pain I was in seeing Gerard plead and sob for his brother to come back. I thought that was probably the worst thing to wish for at this point and then the pain came back.

"Shane. Listen to me. If we go, we go together." His pleading eyes dimmed by sorrow and fear. I heard Frank and Ray's voice near us. I saw Ray bend down to Mikey and test his pulse. He paused as Gerard looked to him for hope. Ray took a deep breath and shook his head. Gerard collapsed next to me as he still held my hand. The pain was much worse now but my throat was tight and soar from sobbing, I couldn't cry any longer. I straightened my head looking straight up into the sky. I smiled faintly as I saw the clouds part and the sun break through. As if on queue, the whipping of helicopter propellers filled our ears as the wind caused by the strong propellers whipped passed us as if it was a sign of safety. Gerard raised himself carefully beside me as they landed. I saw a familiar pair of sneakers brush past me as Serena bent down by my side. I turned to her and smiled a small smile.

The door unfolded and a small man jumped out and held a gun out in front of himself. I felt my whole body losing its feeling at this point.

"Are any of you bitten?"

"No, but she's hurt. We need help!" The man seemed completely unaffected by Gerard's plea.

"Which one of you is Ethan Zane?"

"H-He's dead." I squeaked feeling the pain rush to my head as I turned to him.

"Okay...Which one of you is Shane D'Angelo?"

"I am." I said weakly. The man nodded and went back inside. Without leaving the doorway of the chopper, he gave his men orders and six of them spilled out of the chopper. They all wore a solid hunter green uniform with no Army fatigue. Five of the men searched around the bus and grabbed some bags looking through them. A very tall one with short dirty blond hair and burning blue eyes bent down beside me. He flashed his reassuringly white smile at Gerard and I. For some odd reason, he was nervous.

"What happened?" He looked to Gerard's, now fully, bloodied face for answers.

"We were in that shuttle and we reached a dead end but before we could stop, the car flipped into this ravine. She has an injured spine." The medic responded with a nod. He went back to the chopper and pulled out a gurney. I breathed feverishly with relief, grabbing Gerard's hand and smiling faintly. I wanted to cry joyfully but the cries for pain were going to come first.

The medic rushed back to the two of us rolling the flattened gurney on its wheels, laying it beside me.

"You're gonna have to help me get her onto this." He looked to Gerard who, as he could see, wasn't all there at the moment. He nodded his head anyway and grabbed my feet. I looked to the body of the medic and saw a sewn on name tag. His name was Alex. He grabbed under my arms.

"Now, Mrs. D'Angelo, you have to keep your back completely straight." He assumed that I was married seeing the engagement ring on my finger. I didn't bother to correct him. "The straighter you keep your back, the less pain, okay."

"Yes." I weakly stated as they lifted me up six inches from the ground as he strapped me to this gurney. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw another man go up to the first one with a black duffel bag. I noticed that the bag was Ethan's seeing the embroidered initials on the side. The first one opened it and nodded his head as the man with the bag carried it on to the chopper. Alex, the medic, raised the gurney as they wheeled me in to the chopper. I saw two men examining Mikey's body. After seeing that he was gone, they suited him in a body bag. Gerard watched intently. I grabbed his free fingers and forced a smile. His trembling bottom lip folded itself into a makeshift smile. Frank, Ray, Serena and Bob filed in, taking seats and strapping in. Alex, who had grabbed Serena's attention unintentionally, walked passed to give Gerard a cloth to clean his face off. He stood waiting for him to give him room on the bench that went around the sides of the chopper. Seeing the thread and suture needle in his hand, Gerard hesitated but knew he had to be stitched up.

"Scared of needles, are we?" He didn't respond. "Don't worry, I was too. Hence the word was." He gave a nervous laugh seeing that Gerard didn't find any of this hilarious. Alex's smile could light up a room. The truth behind it made me feel a lot better about the situation we were in.

With the wheels on the gurney secured in place, the helicopter lifted slowly and took off. I looked to Gerard smiling again. This smile wasn't forced this time. This was a genuine smile.

"Forever." I tightened my grip on his hand.

"And ever." He replied.

We were saved.

{Author's Note: Well, that was the end of Early Sunsets. I hope you liked it as much as I loved finally finishing it! I haven't decided if there will be a sequel as of yet (most likely there will be) but if there is one, it'll be called Salvation. Once again, thanks so much for reading this. It's been a lot of fun writing this as well as receiving amazing reviews. Speaking of which, please review. The sequel being made will depend on your review. Other than that, I'm trying to revamp my love for Lover's End so I'll be working on that along with Hunter which I'm really getting in to.

Thank you guys so much for reading this story, reviewing it and keeping it alive.

No words, just love,

-STP.

P.S.: Here's what "Alex":http://quotes.whyfame.com/files/2010/04/alexander_skarsgard.jpg looks like.
Sign up to rate and review this story