Categories > Movies > Beautiful Thing > you're beautiful

2

by xx__ilovemikey__xx 0 reviews

gbbrfgbrf

Category: Beautiful Thing - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2010-09-06 - Updated: 2010-09-06 - 846 words

0Unrated
Act 3 Scene 3

This scene is the most crucial and anti-climactic in the play and plays a large part in the unfolding of the events afterwards. Othello, Desdemona and Iago play the most important roles in this particular scene as it shows the build up of Othello’s suspicion until breaking point, Desdemona’s naivety and helplessness in the situation which make it worse and Iago’s constant encouragement and deceit towards Othello as he watches the events of his handiwork unfold in front of him.

Scene 3 opens with a conversation between Cassio, Desdemona and Emilia. Desdemona further shows her naivety in this scene by attempting to help Cassio get back his position as lieutenant. However, in the current situation while Othello is put under the suspicion that Desdemona is cheating on him with Cassio, Desdemona’s persistence towards Othello about Cassio worsens his doubt in his wife’s fidelity.
‘I’ll watch him tame and talk him out of patience’
This shows how unaware Desdemona is of her close friendship with Cassio and what affect it could have on her relationship with her husband if he were to doubt her. She lacks the understanding of what Othello is feeling and by pushing him and Cassio together will inevitably pull them apart.

Iago plays a minor role in this scene, although the small part he does play is extremely important to the following events of the rest of the play. Iago continues to be the voice of doubt in Othello’s ear until Othello begins to develop the doubt into growing suspicion and finally, accusation. However, the way in which Iago carries out his plan is in such a way so as not to get himself in any trouble. He does not directly accuse Desdemona of infidelity but simple plants the seed of uncertainty in Othello’s mind in which it grows into something ugly and explosive.
‘Dangerous conceits are in their natures poisons, which at first are scarce found to distaste, but with a little act upon the blood burn like the mines of sulphur’ –Iago.
This shows that Iago knew all he would have to do was to plant the small ideas in Othello’s mind and let him go from there, knowing Othello would not be able to forget about the thought until it destroyed everything else and it was all he could think about and he would become paranoid. Yet, if found out, Iago would not be to blame because he never directly accused Desdemona or Cassio of anything and continues to play the innocent and helpful friend to Othello, only wanting to aid him in his search. Iago’s façade as the innocent friend is dramatic irony as Othello sees him as an honest and loyal man yet the audience know how opposite this character is.

At the beginning of this scene, we witness Othello’s love and pride for Desdemona as he gives in to her every desire even though she does not treat him as fairly.
‘Prithee no more. Let him come when he will, I will deny thee nothing’
This shows a contrast between what Othello thinks of his wife at the beginning of the scene- love and compassion beyond anything –and what he thinks of her by the end- disgust and loathing-.
Iago begins to arise his suspicion and Othello begins to doubt his wife showing the first signs of distrust.
‘Set on thy wife to observe’
From this part forward, Othello’s faith in Desdemona goes downhill and his suspicion only grows. His lack of faith in his wife begins to drive him over the edge with the unknowing help of Iago pushing him to believe she is being unfaithful. In a state of rage, Othello orders for proof of Desdemona and Cassio together and we seem him change as a character drowning in suspicion and obsessed with knowing. Othello’s unstable state of mind and order for evidence gives Iago the perfect opportunity to mention the handkerchief- a crucial prop throughout the play- which throws Othello over the edge. This is climax at the end of the scene which shows Othello overcome with anger and rage where he orders Cassio to be killed and curses Desdemona, no longer feeling any love for her.
‘Her name, that was as fresh as Dian’s visage is now begrimed and black as mine own’s face’
This shows Othello’s opinion of Desdemona and how his image of her has changed from something that was ‘fresh’, innocent and pure to something he compares to his own face, using his skin colour to express how dark and dirty he thinks she has become.

There is a large contrast between the beginning and end of this scene which shows how quickly the events took place and how little it took from Iago to change Othello’s outlook on his wife so dramatically. This scene is the pivotal moment in the play which shows the beginning of the end for Othello as he lets his anger get the better of him.
Sign up to rate and review this story