Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Deaf Heaven

Love's Best Habit is in Seeming Trust

by chem_x 1 review

I gulped, “Where we just friends before the crash or…?” “You’ll find out when you look in your pocket.” She said, biting nervously into her lip.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2010-09-10 - Updated: 2010-09-10 - 1216 words - Complete

1Moving
“Violet… What’s going on with Laurie and you?”
She gulped at me, looking down at her knees, it had taken me a week to find her and get her to talk to me. She was acting like I was a ghost, every time she saw me her eyes widened and she paled.
“Jared, please just give me time.”
“I don’t have time Violet.”
“Please.” She cried, looking away. We sat in a hotel suite, her apartment was scorched, and I didn’t want to bring her to my place in case my mother got involved.
“Violet, I need to know.”
I moved over and sat beside her on the bed, holding one of her hands lightly. I looked down at her, my stomach flipping suddenly, my chest burning instantly, “Jared, what’s my surname?” She asked quietly.
“Madden, why?”
“I never told you that Jared.”
“Oh.”
“You’ve known me for longer than you think Jared.”
“How long?”
She blinked at me, slowly and unsurely moving her hand up to my face; at first the scars scrapped across my skin but then it was almost relaxing. With her other hand she reached for her pocket, rummaging slightly and pulling out a small item. I didn’t move to see what at first; I was memorized by her huge eyes.
She took my other hand and placed something in it, “Put it straight in your pocket, and don’t look until you go home.” She whispered. The object was cold and small, it felt plastically, but I nodded.
“Okay.” I murmured.
She smiled lightly at me, the light of the moon shone in the window and made her eyes sparkle in front of me, “One more question.” I asked.
“Yes?”
“Why did you leave after nine days?”
She looked at our linked hands and smiled, “I didn’t think you’d remember me.”
“I don’t…” I sighed.
She moved closer, only slightly, tracing her lips against mine. I wanted to force her closer but she would have been still sore and delicate. I shut my eyes and breathed slowly, feeling her warmth by my side.
“You knew my name.” She smiled.
I opened my eyes and blinked at her, “Yeah… You’re right…” I grinned.
“I’m sorry that I’ve been so secretive but- I don’t want to hurt you again.”
“Again?”
“I made a mistake the last time- by telling you I mean.”
“How did I react to what you told me?” I said uneasily.
She smirked; her lips looked smoother than when her sister did it, “You flipped.”
I told myself to breathe, contain myself, CALM DOWN MAN! I wanted to pull her closer but I shouldn’t, I couldn’t, I wouldn’t!
I gulped, “Where we just friends before the crash or…?”
“You’ll find out when you look in your pocket.” She said, biting nervously into her lip.
“Always the riddler…” I commented bluntly, grinned.
“But wherefore says she not she is unjust?” She smiled.
“And wherefore say not I that I am old? O! Love’s best habit is in seeming trust.” I replied, a watery smile crossing my face like waves onto a shore.
In front of me, a piece of paper, dried, crumbled and covered in blood, beside it, another sheet with the words ’Sneck Up’ written boldly. I had my hand in my pocket, waiting to pull out the small trinket size item but I was nervous. My head was pounding in pain- I had had another flash back- but all I remember from it was screaming and loud noises fading around me.
I panted lightly and fiddled with the small object. I was nervous, what if it proved she was a past enemy or what if she was a lover? So many possibilities I was shaking over it. “Sh- Shannon?!” I yelled out my door.
“Yeah?”
“Just c’mere will you?”
“What?” Shannon said, peering through the door with a toothbrush in his mouth.
“Violet gave me something that she said will tell me how long I’ve known her.”
“And that would be…?”
I inhaled deeply, snatching it out and closing my eyes quickly.
“Impossible!” Shannon gasped.
I sprung my eyes open and panted, “What is it?” I mused.
“You don’t know?! That’s Nan’s wedding ring!” He shouted.
“We lost that what two years ago- no?!” I yelled, leaping from my bed and jumping into the air. “I’ve known her longer than two years!”
“You gave her Nan’s ring?! Jared!” Shannon barked at me.
I threw my hands in the air, “Sorry but I wasn’t informed either.”
“Maybe she stole it on us two years ago?” Shannon suggested.
“She said it would… Show our relationship status when I saw it… Does it look different to you?”
“Shinier…” Shannon whispered, digging his front teeth into his lip. “Jared I think you purposed to this girl!” He said quickly, breathing uneasily.
“What?! I- No! I mean- Yeah- No!!”
“You don’t remember this right?” he mouthed, tilting the ring at me, showing inscribed words, ‘Love Jared…x’
“Not at all!!” I panted, smiling on the inside.
“Maybe she’s just some freak fan!”
“Never,” I hissed, “Violet is not a freak fan.”
“So you’re going to marry her?” He said drolly.
“No…” I mumbled, seizing the ring back from his, “I don’t remember her at all…”
“Stop hanging out with her.”
“That- That’s just not an option.” I winked, tilting the ring towards him.
“I want to meet this girl. I need to know she’s not a psychopath.”
“I don’t know…” I glared, pacing two steps, “You might intimidate you. She’s not the type to let people who scare her live…”
“I’ll risk it.” He grunted, gurgling and walking away.
I sat alone once again, gazing at the tiny ring; it shone silver but looked gold. My dad always told me that one day it would be some lucky girl’s- that was before we lost it. I couldn’t believe that I had once given this ring to Violet. I smiled at it, she had kept it safe and radiant looking, I didn’t know why she couldn’t tell me what I wanted to know before but maybe it was because she lo-
No… Maybe she just didn’t want to drive me away. I lay back into my pillow and held the ring and the sheets over my head, squinting at the. I was still missing pieces of the puzzle, I was desperate for them.
I shut my eyes and imagined being back in the hotel room with Violet, imagining what I should have done. How I should have held her, how she might have reacted. I could see her smiling- all her scars had vanished and a little trinket ring on her finger. “Triumph in love; flesh stays no farther reason.” popped into mind, all I needed was her. I didn’t need her to look different. Why couldn’t I just remember being in love?
Why couldn’t I remember her face when she said… Yes? So many more questions, but I could feel the memories inside me. They existed, I just couldn't see them.
Sign up to rate and review this story