Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > They Say Quitters Never Win

Chapter Five

by XxIceCreamHeadachexX 2 reviews

The phone call.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Humor - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2010-09-26 - Updated: 2010-09-26 - 696 words

0Unrated
I waited a week.
One might consider that too long of a period to call a girl after she gives you her number, or possibly even consider yourself to be exaggerating the "I don't want to seem desperate" time interval in which you don't call the girl that gave you her number, but this situation was different. Well, different to me, at least. I wasn't exactly calling her for a date. I concluded the only reason to call her was because Patrick told me to, even though that sounded as pathetic in my head as it would aloud. Then again, I felt like any action I would take in this process was desperate.

I felt as though a week was a sensible pace to make a call, considering I was merely just calling her for grocery shopping assistance. After all, that's why she gave me her number. (Despite Patrick's arguments against that, and the accusations of my insanity and/or stupidity). "Pete, I know you're smarter than that. A woman is not going to give you her number so she can just help you shop for eggs." But I decided against my better judgment and continued being an idiot.

Although after thinking about it, I didn't intend on calling her. What Patrick said was right, but I wasn't ready for any kind of relationship with another person, whether it just be friends or not. And I wasn't ready for another woman to walk into Bronx's life just to have her walk out. But on Saturday, after scouring the kitchen for lunch to feed Bronx, I thought that maybe calling this Avery woman wouldn't be as harmful as I imagined. I hadn't a clue as to what to look for in terms of groceries, but Avery seemed to know her stuff. So on Saturday afternoon, as I scanned the fridge for about the thirtieth time, I dialed her number.

"Hello?" Avery answered, as I mentally kicked myself because I had no clue what I was going to even say.

"Um, yeah. Hi. This is Pete. From the grocery store. Like, from last week." I'm an idiot

"Oh! Hi. I was getting the feeling you weren't going to call." she said.

"Yeah, well, listen, I was wondering if you could help me with groceries again because I could really use the help and I don't really know what I'm doing and I have nothing to feed me or my son," Now you're rambling. Idiot. "So, what do you say?"

She was quiet for a minute and the quick silence made me feel even more stupid for thinking this was a good idea. But then she said, "Sure! I'll meet you there in thirty minutes?" She sounded perky and sincere, which made me feel better.

"Yeah. That sounds good. I'll meet you there." and we both hung up. Idiot.

After that, I decided to call Patrick.

"What do you want?" Patrick answered, warm as usual.

"You seem to be in a good mood." I spat, annoyed.

"I was until you called." He retorted, with humor in his voice.

"Are you busy right now?"

"No- why?"

"I need you to pick up Bronx for about an hour."

"Why? Is something wrong?" Genuine concern coming from him.

"No, I just," I sighed, "am going to the grocery store. With Avery."

"Hallelujah." Patrick replied, as I grew more annoyed.

"Can you come pick him up or not?"

"Why? Take him with you. I'm sure she'll love to meet him."

"Are you insane? I barely know the woman!"

"It'll be like a test. If she's nice to him, you know she's worth keeping around."

"I don't want to keep her around, though." I think Patrick just enjoys going against anything I believe in.

"Just take him. And don't act like a douche." and with that, Patrick hung up.

--------
Oy! My sincerest apologies for my absence! I didn't have much time to write since school started, but I'll try to post every weekend. (Then again, I'm sure you've learned to not trust me by now lol)

And I'm also sorry that this is the best I could come up with after so long :(
Sign up to rate and review this story