Categories > Books > Outsiders > One Summer Dream

One Summer Dream

by Darkpurplepen 0 reviews

“One Summer Dream”-The school year comes to an end and summer vacation begins. New adventures look on the horizon for Ponyboy and the rest of the gang.

Category: Outsiders - Rating: G - Genres: Humor - Published: 2010-10-01 - Updated: 2010-10-01 - 367 words

0Unrated
“Alright, here we go, three…”

Sodapop reaved up his engine.

“Two…”

He gripped the steering wheel.

“One…”

Soda took a deep breath and waited for the towel to drop to the ground. When it did, he and Victor Roberts, his challenger stepped on the gas pedal of their cars as they began their drag races as everyone who stood behind them began to cheer.

Tires squealed, engines roared as the two cars twisted and turned, the two drivers were neck and neck as they raced down the dirt road, Soda’s competitor seemed to be having trouble keeping control of his machine.

The dirt road they were on curved and both drivers took special care in negotiating the path. They both managed to turn the path and go back on the road to the finish line. It was the last leg of the race and both drivers knew the stakes. On the last turn, however, Victor completely lost control of the car while going for a high speed turn.

The car flipped over once before settling as Soda crossed the finish line.

“Yeah, buddy.” Steve went over and congratulated his best friend, giving him a slap on the back. “Still unbeaten in drag races.”

“Thanks, Steve.”

Some of the other went over and helped Victor out of the car. As they did, Justin Castle, who was holding the money walked over and handed it to Soda. Both boys had put up twenty dollars as a bet to who would finish first.

Standing outside in his backyard, Ponyboy took a cigarette out of his pocket and lighted it as he stared up at the late afternoon sky. As the wind blew lightly, causing the tall grass to sway and dance softly in the breeze, he began thinking about school since he had just arrived home from there, and today was the last day. Tomorrow would officially start summer vacation, and while he was happy about that, his mind just wasn't on it right now.

He was thinking about Johnny, and Dally. This would be the first summer he would spend without them. After the sun went down, Pony threw his cigarette down and went back into the house.
Sign up to rate and review this story