Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > Have Faith In Me

Someone Else's Heart

by coffeeaddict 0 reviews

This starts the drama. How does Ikkaku feel about Michiru's interactions with Renji?

Category: Bleach - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Abarai Renji - Published: 2010-10-07 - Updated: 2010-10-07 - 2584 words

0Unrated
*Michiru*

I needed to talk to someone. Not Rangiku, not Renji, not Orihime. I needed Yumichika and Ikkaku more than anything. Rangiku was making me incredibly uncomfortable now that I had seen her talking with Renji, and I knew what they had been talking about. It's not like I was blind.
I knew that she was pressuring Renji to talk to me. That she was taking everything I said not to do and turning it around, maybe as a sick game on her part, or as some twisted way of trying to help. I didn't WANT her help. I didn't want anything to with her help, or even Renji at this point.
He didn't want anything to do with me, and I had to deal with it.
I rushed out of Orihime's apartment, fighting tears as I searched for Yumichika's spiritual pressure. They weren't very close; in fact, they were at least a mile away. I sighed, breaking into a jog in their direction.
Rangiku was not to be trusted, I decided. Even if she was trying to help in her own way, I didn't want to chance it again. I had Yumichika. I had Ikkaku. They had been better friends than anyone, and I didn't understand why I hadn't just talked to them about it.
Well, then again, I did. Because Ikkaku wasn't one for friendly advice, and of course Yumichika didn't understand why I had fallen in love with Renji to begin with. He deemed him unattractive. And he apparently couldn't get past that, even though he tried to give me advice. Ikkaku, though... he seemed so angry when I mentioned it, like I was annoying him, so I didn't talk about it in front of him.
But at least they would listen and not blab to everyone in the whole Soul Society.
As I neared them, a good ten or eleven blocks from where I started, I slowed down. I didn't want them thinking I was so desparate I had to run and find them. I could hear them talking close by, murmuring something about a rice ball. I pretended to be casual.
Yumichika rounded the corner first, and I grinned. "Hello, beautiful," I said, watching him nearly squeal with delight. Ikkaku stumbled into him, shoving him out of the way.
"Don't I just make your day more gorgeous?" Yumichika beamed, flipping his hair. He gave Ikkaku a very slight glare. "I knew you were around. Didn't know you were looking for us, though."
"You need anything?" Ikkaku asked suddenly, shoving himself in front of Yumichika. Yumi peered over his shoulder angrily.
"I believe she was talking to me, baldy."
Ikkaku ignored him. "Really. I mean, I was just wondering."
"I just wanted to come hang out, I guess. I'm not on any sort of watch so..." I tried, attempting to sound innocent.
"Of course. If Ikkaku doesn't want to be a bitch," Yumichika muttered, prodding Ikkaku. Ikkaku growled and shoved him again.
"Ok. I'll just follow you around, then."
And so they kept walking. This was the normal routine; I just followed them around, and they included me when I wanted to be included. They didn't pressure me, and they didn't expect anything spectacular out of me. Which was FINE by me. But Ikkaku glanced over his shoulder at me nervously.
"Michiru, who braided your hair?" Yumichika asked as they walked. "I want one feather braided into mine. Just one. No more, that would be tacky."
"Rangiku, actually," I answered. Why in the world did she have to exist at this point? I silently wished her into obvlivion.
"It's lovely. Why don't you do--"
"MY HAIR," Ikkaku cut in.
For a moment, I thought he was serious. I stopped and gave them the most dumbfounded look until Ikkaku cracked a grin.
"You weirdo," I told him, and I found myself laughing. For the first time in a while, I was laughing. And it wasn't fake.
Ten seconds with them and I felt better.
After a few mintues of Yumichika's relentless no-hair teasing, we continued on. Yumichika rattled on about the rice ball from earlier. As he babbled, I began to settle. This was what I was used to. This was what felt right, and for a moment I considered enlisting in the 11th company just to be with them. I could get used to the rest of the guys there, and probably hold up pretty well sparring. Maybe.
I stayed a few steps behind them though, giving them room. I didn't want to feel like a pest.
Again, Ikkaku glanced over his shoulder at me.
"What are you looking at??" I questioned, and he ignored me. "Ikkaku. What did I do?"
"Nothing. Just making sure you're back there," he said, still looking ahead. Something wasn't right with him anymore.
"Whatever. Yumi, where are you guys staying?"
"Right now? ...Probably that kid's house. Keigo or whatever. It's free and he doesn't bother us."
"Can I stay with you guys?" I asked, pouring on the sweetness.
"Sure. I don't mind. But you'll have to sneak in because the kid is insane. He'll pounce on you."
"Why?"
"Because you're obviously as beautiful as I am, that's why, and I'm not exactly sure he doesn't want to pounce on me," Yumichika answered. "Just don't let him see you."
Ikkaku muttered something I didn't catch, but I was pretty sure I caught "I'll tear his balls off". And I cringed.

The house we eventually made it to was small, wedged onto a crowded streetcorner. I obviously hadn't kept up with the time and it was already night. But then again, when I had left Orihime's, it was later in the day. So I was ready to turn in for the night, tired from walking all over Karakura Town and dealing with Rangiku. I questioned Yumichika about sleeping arrangements.
"We were sleeping on the floor," he said. "Well, I went and bought new sheets, but we sleep on the floor in the guest room. You can sleep there too, if you like."
Ikkaku fidgeted. "There's a separate room too. I'm sure we could sneak you in there."
"Trying to get rid of me, Ikkaku?" I asked. He seemed... flustered.
I glanced at Yumichika, who shrugged. "It's up to you," he said. "I'm going inside to brush my hair. Find your way inside."
And he left. Ikkaku glanced at me, scoffing suddenly and taking off after Yumichika. So weird. And so unlike Ikkaku.
I ignored it and searched for a side entrance, finding that the door on the side of the house led directly into the laundry room. I squirmed my way in and down the hall to what seemed to be the guest room, where Yumichika was curled on the floor, running a large paddle brush through his perfect hair. "Is Ikkaku bothering you?" he asked, and I stopped.
"What do you mean?" I glanced around to look for Ikkaku, but he was nowhere near. "He's not annoying me. I'm just really creeped out, to be honest."
Yumichika smirked. "The way he acts around you is ridiculous. And this is a recent development, or either he has lost all self control."
"You aren't making any sense to me."
He laughed. "I shouldn't be. Don't worry about it."
I sighed, banging my forehead on the doorframe. "I don't need anything strange from you two. I already have enough to worry about," I groaned. "And I want to go home. Yumi, take me home."
"Aw. Come here," he said, patting the floor next to him. "And you know I normally have no sypmathy, but it's you. Sit."
I curled up next to him. "I'm tired already, Yumi," I sighed.
"Look at me." He grabbed my chin delicately with his slender fingers, forcing me to look into his face. "You are not going to give up now. I don't care how much of an ass Renji or Ikkaku is, you still have me, and I say you better stick with the program. This is your chance, Michiru," he said lowly. His deep burgundy eyes were fiercely serious. "Make that captain position and you'll have made it farther that me or Ikkaku or even Renji. Don't you dare give up."
He released my chin, his expression settling into a more serene look. "Now let me take your hair down. It's dissheveled."
I turned and he began to separate the plaits in my hair, brushing them as he went. This began to feel like a recurring theme, people playing with my hair. I wasn't going to tell him to stop, though. "Do you still like that jerk anyway?" he asked suddenly.
"I don't know."
"What do you mean you don't know?"
"I just don't. I don't know what his problem is and I don't want to talk about him," I snapped.
The door cracked, and Ikkaku stepped in. His eyes travled over my face for a moment before he proceeded to lay down on the mat next to us, staring up at the ceiling.
"Where did you go?" Yumichika asked.
"I had to go stake out that rice ball place. It's just too suspicious," he said quietly. "Are you making Michiru play dress up or what?"
"I'm just fixing her hair."
Ikkaku rolled his eyes, and rolled over so that he wasn't looking at us. "I'll never understand you, Yumichika. But I guess that's ok."
"It's perfectly fine, cue ball. Now get some rest. And you too, Michiru."
I nodded. It was about time to rest, anyway, and I didn't feel like thinking anymore.

I slept soundly back-to-back with Yumichika, his warmth comforting me. Ikkaku was on my other side, tossing restlessly. Sometime around 3 in the morning, I heard him stir, and noticed that he got up.
Worried about him, I slipped out of the covers and followed him outside.
He perched himself near a brick retaining wall, kicking his feet back and forth. His hand rested on Hozukimaru as if he was waiting for battle. I wouldn't doubt that he had sensed something he didn't like, but he seemed different.
"Ikkaku. What's been bothering you?" I asked, hopping up next to him.
"Nothing, really."
"Don't lie to me." I touched his hand gently. "I know something is bothering you."
He looked over at me, flinching under my touch. "You don't want to know."
"Why?"
"I don't want to piss you off."
"You won't."
He sighed heavily and stared up at the moon for a moment. Then he looked back to me, his eyes locking on mine. "I can't tell you how angry I am at Renji. For being such an ass to you."
Did everyone and their mothers know about this? "Don't. Just don't worry about that," I muttered. "I can handle it."
"And it's not just that, I just don't see why he can't.... I don't know. He had you. You were there for him, and he just... turned you down so quickly. I don't understand."
"What did he turn me down on, Ikkaku??? It's not like anything serious happened. Everyone is freaking out because Rangiku said all that--"
"It's not Rangiku's fault. I'm pissed at Renji and no one else, because..."
Suddenly, his calloused hand was on my cheek. Confused, I wasn't sure how to react, so I sat still. He cupped my cheek gently, then reached up to brush my hair out of my eyes.
"Because he had the most wonderful woman at his fingertips, and he chose to ignore her. And I think he's stupid," he said quietly. "I hate him for not taking the chance to be with you. He ignored you. I don't understand what... what he was trying to say."
"Does it matter?"
"Yes, it matters! He's stupid! He doesn't know what you're worth! And I don't know why he can't see it. I don't know what he's missing about you. I see everything about you. And so does Yumichika. We believe in you and he's so blind he can't see how...Argh, I don't know how to say it," he nearly shouted.
"Ikkaku. Just..." It began to click inside my head, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to sound stupid, and I didn't want to assume anything. But...
"Nevermind. Forget I said anything," he snapped, turning away from me. "Yumichika is probably looking for you."
"Don't try to get rid of me, please," I begged. "I just want to help."
"It's OK, Michiru," he said, nearly angry now. "Drop it. Now."
I sighed. "Alright... But when you decide you want to tell me about it--"
"I just want to forget about it."
He was tense again, his dark eyes glaring out into the darkness. I could feel the frustration dripping off him and I decided I should probably leave him alone, so I bailed off the wall, muttering a good night before going back into the house.
It seemed like Yumichika hadn't moved. I slid under the covers carefully, trying to find my original spot. He didn't notice. Which was ok, because I didn't want him to know about what had just gone down with Ikkaku.
"Did you think I didn't hear all of that?"
I nearly screamed. Yumichika laughed quietly, rolling over to bombard me with his smug expressions. "You scared the sh-"
"I know. I just love doing that to you, but anyway. You really didn't think I would notice? Silly girl," he continued. "And I have to say, if you haven't figured out what he meant..."
"I think I have, but I want to drop it, like he asked me to," I said quickly. "I really don't want to push it."
He grinned. "I think you should push it."
"No. There's obviously something he doesn't want to tell me and I don't want to bother him about it, so I won't. You stop being nosy."
He pulled the covers up around his shoulders, peering out from under them childishly. "Or what?"
"I'll tear off one of your feathers. Just one. Then they'll be uneven, and you'll be hideous."
He gasped. "You would do no such thing! I would NOT be hideous..."
"I'll do it."
"Ok, I'll stop..."
I glanced down at him. Was everyone being odd tonight? Yumi was being unusually...goofy. And in a strange way. He was almost happy. Maybe he was just super tired, but really. There was something up with EVERYONE.
I sighed, pulling the covers over my head. "Yumi, I worry about him sometimes," I said quietly.
And it was true. Ikkaku worried me quite a bit. I wondered where he went when he wandered off, what he got himself into on the way there, and I worried that he was going to get himself hurt one day. He loved a fight but to be honest, I was scared one day he was going to encounter someone that would be his end.
Ikkaku had to stay around. I needed him.
Yumichika peeked under the covers at me. "I do too, you know."
"I know you do, he's your best friend."
He silenced for a moment. "Yeah, he is," he replied quietly, as if I had thrown a damp rag on his emotions.
"What? Am I wrong?"
He rolled over onto his back, staring up at the ceiling. What had I done now? Had I managed to piss everyone off in twelve seconds?
"Yumichika, what did I do?" I asked, nudging him.
"Sometimes you're too right," he murmured, and rolled over away from me.
Sign up to rate and review this story