Categories > Games > Zelda > Childhood Dreams

Wishing for Neverland

by Pata-Hikari 2 reviews

Saria is a quiet girl who lacks nothing in her life... yet still is unhappy. What happens when a strange vistior shows up and takes her to a land of magic and wonder?

Category: Zelda - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Characters: Link, Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-01-14 - Updated: 2006-01-14 - 4205 words

1Original
Childhood Dreams

By Pata Hikari

Chapter 1: Wishing for Neverland.

It was raining, as usual. The dull grey sky released it's neverending supply of water in a sheet. The citizens of Seattle walked through the streets, ignoring the all too common rain.

A young girl was looking out her apartment window. Watching with a dull look on her face. Her black hair dropped down over her eyes. She let out a bored sigh.

"Saria, brush your hair out of your face." An adult woman said, walking into the room.

"OK Mom." Saria answered, brushing her hair back.

"That's my girl." Mom smiled, "Now, get yourself ready, because we're going to a party soon. It's very important that Daddy go there."

AKA: Dad needs to suck up to some executives Saria rolled her eyes, "OK Mom, no problem."

"Remember to look your best!" Mom said sweetly.

"I will." Saria sighed.

-------------------------------

Another day, another boring "party."

"There ought to be a law against calling such things parties." Saria muttered. She was wearing a soft green dress that flowed out from her, ending with white lace. A golden star shaped locket hung from her neck while her hair was tired back into a bun. She looked absolutly adorable to any and all adults that got near her. Which was exactly what her parents wanted. Sometimes Saria felt like little more then another bargining chip, a "sweet little girl" used to get her dad bussiness deals.

The only good side to all this was that she was able to wear her favorite green dress. She loved green, and liked to fill her life with it. She remembered when she had asked her mom if she could dye her hair. Mom had said yes... until she had found out that Saria wanted the color to be green.

"Hello there." Another voice said, it was an asian girl about her age.. Her long brown hair flowed down freely. Her dress was pure black. She was giving Saria a smile that reminded her of the smile of that shark from Finding Nemo. "What is your name?"

"Saria. Saria Larson." Saria answered quickly, getting a bad feeling about this girl.

"Oh, my name's Mimei Saotome." Mimei grinned, "My daddy's the one who's putting on this party."

"How nice..." Saria shrugged, "Can you tell me where the rest of the kids are?"

"Oh, I think we're the only kids here." Mimei answered, "Most of the people here are old and boring."

Saria shrugged, a lot of old people were interesting. Like Mr. Johnson who took out their garbage, he was always so nice to her. Of course, she doubted that Mr. Johnson would go to this "party."

"My dad's pretty important, just last week a Senator came over to talk to him." Mimei continued, as if the fact that her dad had money reflected highly on her. "What about your parents?"

Saria shrugged, "I'm guessing my dad came here to meet your dad... or one of your dads friends. We've never had a Senator come over I'm pretty sure." Saria was grateful for this, because who know's what horrors would be inflited on her in the name of "looking good" for a Senator.

Mimei nodded, "Well, my big brother isn't here, he's off at Harvard. You have any brothers or sisters?"

"No." Saria was beginning to wonder if this girl expected her to be impressed.

"Oh, pity." Mimei gave Saria that shark grin again, "Well, this is boring, how about you help me have some fun?"

"Really?" Saria smiled, finally something to do! "Do you have a Gamecube or something?" Maybe Mimei wasn't so bad after all.

"Video games? Yuck." Mimei made a face, "No, I'm talking about some /real/ fun. Follow me." She winked and moved underneath one of the tables.

Saria paused, there was something about Mimei that she didn't like... but still, it was either that or die of boredom. She crawled after her.

"So, what are we doing?" Saria asked, crawling behind Mimei.

"Oh, just going to have some fun." Mimei giggled.

"What kind of fun..." Saria's eyes narrowed, "Look, if you're going to do something stupid then I don't want a part of it."

"Oh where's your sence of adventure?" Mimei said lightly, "No fun is without risk."

"Tell that to my books." Saria muttered.

"Paper cut." Mimei countered, the shark-grin returning, before peering out from the table. "OK... the coast is clear!" She dashed out quickly, and Saria was forced to chase after her.

They were standing in front of a table with plenty of glasses on it filled with a clear liquid. Saria peered at the glasses, "What are they?"

"Champange." Mimei answered, "And all the adults are over there..." She grabbed a glass, "Let's have some!"

Saria's eyes widened, "But... it's alcohol..."

"Oh come on, you aren't a baby, are you?" Mimei placed her left hand on her hips, "It's just another kind of drink, like soda or water."

Saria frowned... "Well..."

"Come on!" Mimei took a sip of her glass, "It's good, I have it all the time!"

"Well..." Saria shrugged, "You only live once..." She picked up a glass and downed it in one glup. The champange was sweet, with a fizz that reminded her of soda. Yet there was a bitterness to it, some faint tang that burned her throat slightly.

"Nice huh?" Mimei grinned, "How about another?"

"OK..." Saria drunk another glass, it was pretty good...

"See, this isn't so bad." Mimei took another sip from her glass.

"Yeah..." Saria was feeling very relaxed by now, taking another glass. "But what about our fun?"

"Oh, it's going to begin very soon..." Mimei gave Saria that shark-grin.

"Hey... you... haven't finished your glass? Why? It's goooood...." Saria was have trouble talking now, the words just didn't seem to be coming out right. Yet she somehow managed to drink two more glasses of the champange

"Not thirsty." Mimei set her glass back on the table.

"Nnn..." Saria found that she couldn't wrap her fingers around another glass, in fact, everything was getting kind of blurry. "I don't feel sho good..."

"The fun begins now." Mimei chuckled.

Saria burped, what was wrong with her? She tried to walk, but she ended up tripping. "Hey! Help!" She slurred out.

Mimei was by this point giggling, "You look so stupid right now"

"Erk!" Saria struggled to stand up, "What's wrong with me?"

"You're drunk, that's what!" Mimei popped up in front of Saria. "Hey! People! Look at Saria Larson!"

"I feel sick..." Saria muttered as people began to gather around her.

"Saria! Baby!" Her mom's voice called to her, "What's wrong?" She felt her mother's arms pull her up.

"I saw her at the champange table, drinking glass after glass." Mimei said in a know-it-all voice.

Saria would have glared at Mimei, if she hadn't been to sick to move. "You said it was like so- so- sodaaaaaaaghh."

And that was how Saria vomited all over her mothers new dress. Luckily, she passed out right afterwards, so she didn't have to see the reactions of everyone else.

-------------------------------

"What was she thinking?" Saria woke up to hear her fathers voice, "I mean... I thought we had raised her better!"

"I'm so embarrased..." Mom choaked out, "How will I ever live this down?"

Saria groaned as she sat up, she could see that she was lieing down on the couch, both her parents were talking at the table. "Mom... Dad?"

"I see you're awake." Dad said, he did not have a happy look on his face, "Young lady, do you have any idea what you just did?"

Saria paused, "Um... I don't remember, the last thing I remember is talking to that Mimei girl..."

"You got yourself drunk!" Dad snapped, "And then you /threw up/ all over your mother!"

"Oh... that." Saria frowned, "Wait a minute... Mimei tricked me!"

Neither of her parents were listening, "You should have known better!" Dad continued.

"Where could you have gotten such ideas?" Mom whispered.

"Maybe from those people at the public school..." Dad said.

Saria shot up, her eyes flashing, "For the last time, Maple does not do drugs!"

"It doesn't matter anyway," Mom shook her head, "We're pulling you out of the public school, they're a bad infulance on you."

"No they're not!" Saria screamed, "They're my friends!"

"No buts lady! We're pulling you out after Christmas break." Dad folded his arms, "After that we're sending you to a good private school."

"No no!" Saria screamed, "What did I do?"

"Now Saria, this isn't a punishment." Dad said, "We're just thinking about what's best for you..."

"You mean your carrer." Saria snapped.

"Saria!" Mom looked appalled, good.

"I mean it!" Saria growled at her dad, "All you care about is your job! The only reason you had me is because Mom forgot her pill."

"Saria Larson you be quiet this instant!" Dad shouted.

"No!" Saria shouted right back, "I mean it! All I am is another way to show off, to make yourselves look good. I'm sick of it! If you want to go to some dumb party where nobody has any fun... or have some stupid people who you feel like sucking up to come over... or anything like that... leave me out of it!" Saria took a deep breath.

"That's it, go to bed!" Dad said.

"Fine! Good night!" Saria stormed up to her room, slamming the door behind her.

-------------------------------

"They're /what?"/ Maple yelled.

"They're... they're pulling me out and sending me to some dumb private school!" Saria cried.

"But... that's not fair!" Maple growled. Maple was the exact opposite of the people who go to those "parties." She wore nothing but a black dress with some holes torn in it by her own hand. Rings of thick make up were under her eyes while her eyelashes were covered with mascara. She could easily be discribed as "goth." Maple had always given Saria sagely advice about dealing with the world.

"They say this place is a 'bad infulance.'" Saria sighed, slumping against the wall.

"B-b-but that isn't f-f-fair." Likel whispered. Likel was a quiet girl with a tendancy to stutter who was found hiding behind some manga most of the time. Somehow she and Saria had become friends as well.

"I know it isn't... but try telling mom and dad that." Saria shook her head, "They still have the stupid idea that you're a druggie." She glanced at Maple.

Maple snarled, "Why would I do that? Putting chemicals in my body wouldn't do anything other then throw my energies out of balance."

"Maybe it's be- because you... d- d- d- d- dress different..." Likel said quickly. "They might not g- get you."

"So it's because I express my indivduality in other words?" Maple glared at Likel.

"I'm not saying i- i- it's b- bad!" Likel held her manga in front of her to protect herself, "I'm just saying they may not understand you."

Saria sighed... "I wish my parents were like yours Maple. Then they wouldn't be doing stuff like this." Saria looked up at the ceiling, "This is going to be the worst Christmas ever... Because I know that after it, I'll never see you guys again."

"We can v- visit." Likel said, trying to cheer Saria up.

"You think they'll let the 'bad infulances' into my house?" Saria asked.

"Hmm..." Maple grinned, "I know! Run away! Don't come back until they agree to let you stay! You can stay at my place!"

"Except that our h- houses will be the first place that Mr. and Mrs. Larson look when they look for Saria." Likel pointed out, "And they'll just t- take it as us being some b- bad infulance."

"Oh... crud." Maple folded her arms, "Well, I'm at a loss."

Saria sighed, "I'm sorry guys... I just wish... that I didn't have to deal with this kind of stuff..."

"D- don't worry about it." Likel smiled, placing a hand on Saria's shoulder, "I'm s- s- sure that your pa- parents will realize that they're wrong. After all, you have t- t- two weeks until Christmas Break."

"Hey, how about you come over for a while?" Maple asked, "Come on, it'll be fun."

"I'm grounded." Saria said with no small ammount of bitterness.

"Oh." Maple looked away, "Sorry."

Then the bell rang, signaling that it was time
to go to class.

-------------------------------

Saria entered her room, not giving the fact that she had arrived to an empty home a second thought. "They're too busy with their 'carrers' to welcome me home." Was all she had to say about it before stomping into her room.

It was an old hurt, really, the fact that she often lived alone. Her parents being gone for hours at a time. Most of the time she went to Maple's or Likel's houses after school. However, Saria was grounded, and there was always the chance that one of her parents would come home early. So, she was stuck in her room.

Saria's room was a strange mixture of different styles and displays. From the various pictures of simple landscapes to the posters of anime to the multicolored crystals hanging on the door. (Given to her by Maple as a good luck charm) The room reflected a style that Saria concidered to be uniquely hers. By the small window that allowed her to see the rained upon city beyond there was a computer and a television. Saria noted dryly that while the T.V was still there, all her DVD's and video games were gone, plus her computer was missing it's keyboard. Just another sign that she was grounded.

"I hate my life." Saria fell down face first onto her bed. "Hate it hate it hate it!"

-------------------------------

The hours passed, and neither mom nor dad came home. Saria ended up heating up some leftover pizza for dinner, other then that and a shower she didn't leave her room.

"Geez... I don't think they've ever been this late before." Saria thought aloud as she pulled her light green nightgown over her. "Good riddance." Yawning, she looked at the old fashioned alarm clock by her bed, "Ten O'clock? Wow, it's past my bedtime and I didn't even realize it." She grinned, pleased for this small, in unintentional, act of defiance. She turned off the lights and pulled herself under her covers, preparing to sleep.

Some time later, not enough for Saria to fall asleep, the door opened and some light from the hallways came through. "Saria?" It was Mom.

Saria kept her eyes closed and her mouth shut, she did not want to talk. A moment later the door shut, "She's asleep." Saria heard her mom say.

Saria sighed quietly before finally managing to fall asleep a half an hour later.

-------------------------------

Saria woke up to a bright light shining in her face. It seemed to hover over her, peircing though her eyelids and shining straight onto her retinas. "Nnng..." Saria muttered, swatting at the light, "Go away."

The light moved, "Hey! How about I whack ya 'round a bit, see how ya like it!" A woman's voice said.

Saria's eyes shot open, "Who's there?" She asked quickly.

"Over here, dufus." The voice was coming from the ball of light hovering in front of her. Saria sat up and got a closer look at the light.

There was a tiny person in the light. She was wearing a silver dress that hung tightly against her figure, while hair of the same silver color hung loosly down to her shoulders. Oh, and she had wings, was only about three inches tall, and was flying. "Yo." She said with a wave of her hand.

"Gah!" Saria pushed herself back, not that it did much good, seeing as she was already against the wall.

The... woman folded her arms in irritation, "What's tah matter, ain't ya ever seen a fairy before? Oh, wait. Ya probably haven't." She held out her arm, "Name's Navi, what's yours?"

Saria stared at Navi in shock for a moment, "Wait... you mean like in the fairy tales?"

Navi rolled her eyes, "What a surprise, a /fairy/ tale had fairies in it. Yer a genius!"

"Hey!" Saria glared at Navi, "You don't have to be rude."

"But I /want/ to." Navi winked.

Saria glanced at the fairy, "You aren't acting like what I thought a fairy would..."

"Stereotypes annoy me." Navi retorted.

Saria paused, "Fair enough..." She tilted her head to the side, "What's a fairy doing in my room anyway, not that I mind."

"Humph." Navi folded her arms, "I was forced here against mah will."

"Huh?" Saria blinked, "What-"

"Hi, I see you're awake." A new voice said as a face jumped in Saria's view. It was a boy's face, about her age. He had a soft face with bright blue eyes that seemed to see everything. Reddish blond hair seemed to frame his face, though most of the hair was covered by a strange green hat that extended down his back. He was rather cute... so Saria thought.

Wait.

Boy.

In her room.

At night.

"Eeek! Out!" Saria suddenly screamed, pushing the boy away, "Out of my room!"

"What the heck?" The boy jumped back, "What's wrong with you girl?"

"You're a boy!" Saria shouted.

"So?" The boy asked.

"I'm in my pajamas!" Saria growled.

He shrugged, "So?"

"I'm a girl!"

"So?"

/"Out!"/ Saria threw a pillow at him.

"Alright, I'm leaving I'm leaving." The boy muttered before leaving her room.

"Wow." Navi commented, "Ya have tah magic tough fer dealin with tah male gender."

Saria glanced at the fairy, "What?"

"Neva mind." Navi grinned.

Saria paused, "Wait a minute... how did you people get into my room?" It somehow scared Saria deep down that she had already gotten used to talking to a creature she had thought to be fantasy just a few minutes ago.

"Through tah window, duh." Navi said.

"Oh..." Saria blinked, somehow she had expected some magical explanation, "What did you mean by you were forced here?"

"Oh," Navi shrugged, "Link here, that's tah boy ya chased off, needed ta look fer his dumb Shadow. So, me, bein' Link's gaurdian, had to go with him."

"His shadow?" Saria shook her head, "How does someone lose their shadow?"

"Link did." Navi answered flatly, "Now if ya'd excuse me, I have ta make sure that Link doesn't break anythin'. By tah way, I'd get dressed." Navi flew off out the door.

Saria sighed, she had to admit, the fairy was right. She got out of bed, checking the clock to see that it was Three A.M, and then walked over to her closet. "OK, first get dressed, then deal with the weird guests." Saria pulled open her closet doors.

"Here you go ma'am." A boy hanging from the closet's ceiling handed her a skirt and blouse.

"Oh, thank you." Saria took the clothing and shut the closet door.

Wait.

"What?" Saria pulled open the closet doors again to glare at the boy in it. He looked remarkably like that Link boy... only colored differently. He looked somewhat like an albino with the pale skin and red eyes, except that his hair was a metalic silver color that seemed to shine. He was wearing clothing that Saria realized was just like Link's; A long shirt that went down past her waist, leggings that fit loosely over him, boots, and the same long hat. The only difference was that this boy's clothing was a strange shade of black. At the moment he was grinning at her sheepishly.

"What are you doing in my closet?" Saria asked slowly.

"Hanging out." He answered.

Saria punched him.

"Ow!" He winced, "Oh fine, I'm hiding from Link."

"And you are?" Saria raised an eyebrow, giving the boy a glare.

"Link's Shadow. Shadow for short." He held out his hand in greeting.

"Um... can you get down?" Saria asked.

"Oh, fine." Shadow leaped down, making an aerial flip to land on his feet.

"Wait..." Saria paused, "Are you the reason those other two are here?"

"Yup." Shadow smirked.

"I see..." Saria said thoughtfully.

-------------------------------

"What's with her anyway?" Link asked, taking a bite of a sandwich.

Navi folded her arms, "Her name's Saria. And ya wer buggin' her."

"Excuse me, Link,that is your name right?" Saria, who was still in her pajamia's Link dully noted, walked out of her room, "Is this yours?" She asked, pulling Shadow out from behind her by the ear.

Link glanced at Shadow for a moment. "Hey there Shadow, what's up?"

"Help me..." Shadow squeeked out, "She won't let me go..."

"Yup, she has tah magic touch." Navi snickered.

Saria let Shadow go, he quickly dashed away from her, rubbing his sore ear. "Did you have to do that?" Shadow asked.

"No, but it made me feel better." Saria quipped, "Anyway, can you people mind telling me who you all are?"

"We told you." Link pointed out, "I'm Link, she's Navi, and he's my Shadow."

Saria stormed up in Link's face, "That's not what I meant! Must you be so rude and difficult!"

"I'm not difficult, you're just too sensitive." Link smirked.

"Don't get her mad..." Shadow whispered.

"You... you!" Saria growled, as the two stared at eachother for a moment. "Ugg!" Saria turned away, "You're impossible."

Link shrugged and took another bite of his sandwich.

Saria spun back around, "Where did you get that sandwich?"

"I made it." Link took another bite.

Saria closed her eyes and counted to ten for some reason, "OK, where did you get the stuff to make the sandwich?"

"Oh, I got the bread from the breadbox over there and the fillings from the frige. It's ham and cheese, want some?" Link said casually, holding out the sandwich.

Saria's left eye twitched, "You stole my food?"

"I perfer the term 'borrowed,' Saria. 'Stealing' places such a negative spin on it." Link smiled and finished off his sandwich.

"OK, ya shut up now Link." Navi flew in between them, "Before ya make her go inta a murderous rage."

"Oh fine..." Link pulled away, "You girls talk, I'm going to have some of that pizza. Come on Shadow."

Saria's jaw dropped, but before she could say anything Navi stopped her, "Just let it go..." She said gently.

"OK..." Saris sighed, "Sorry... I've had a bad week..."

"Let me guess, Parents." Link added in.

"Didn' I say go away!" Navi snapped at Link. "Anyway," She turned back to Saria, "In truth, I'm surprised ya can see me. Ya felt pretty world wearly and cyncial... didn' think there was enough room in ya tah belive in tah unbeliveable."

"What?" Saria blinked.

"Ah... well..." Navi scratched the back of her head, "I guess tah simplest way tah discribe it is that reality is defined by a person's belief... or potential to believe. Fer example, if ya were ta believe that the world is flat and were ta gather a bunch of people who had the same belief, ya could probably reach the edge of tah earth and even take pictures. But no one else would belive ya, and those pictures would be seen as fake. Plus other people would never be able to reach the edge. Why? 'Cause everyone else believe's tah world's round, Make sence so far?"

"Sort of..." Saria shrugged.

"Well, anyway, say ya showed these pictures ta someone who knew nothing 'bout tah world. Ya told him that ya had found tah end of tah world and would be willin' to take him. He /would/ be able ta see tah world's edge, because he had the potential to believe."

"I see... I think." Saria shook her head, "Anyway... that still doesn't explain what Link is..."

"I'm a Kokiri!" Link interjected, "And proud of it!"

"Link! Oh, never mind." Navi sighed, "Yeah, Link's a Kokiri, but really... all that is..."

"I'm never going to have to deal with the junk adults have to deal with!" Link smirked, "Won't have to deal with jobs or taxes or anything like that."

"What?" Saria shook her head, "Information overload..."

"What Link means," Shadow butted in, "Is that he'll remain a kid forever, and never have to worry about adults."

"Yeah." Link put a arm around Saria's shoulder, "I'll never have to deal with growing old or senile. I'll be able to do whatever I want forever!"

Saria pulled Link's arm off her, "That sounds rediculous."

"Fine." Link shrugged and held his hands behind his head. "Believe what you want to believe. Come on Navi, Shadow, let's go." He started to walk back to Saria's room, "Well, it was nice talking to you Saria, I'll come check on you when you're all grown up... if you can still see me."

Saria looked at the strange group of people... a sudden thought came over her, a crazy thought. One which would change her life forever...

...I know! Run away!...

"Wait!" Saria called out.

"Huh?" Shadow turned back around, "What is it?"

"Link..." Saria paused, "A Kokiri... how do you
become one? Can someone become a Kokiri? Or are they born that way?"

Link slowly turned around, a big smile on his face, "I thought you'd never ask."
Sign up to rate and review this story