Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > This Is Where It Starts

Date Night

by kenzoid 2 reviews

Gerard finally gets the courage to ask Babette out. Let's hope all goes well...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2010-11-02 - Updated: 2010-11-02 - 1904 words - Complete

1Ambiance
BABETTE
The rest of the week passed with indifference. I posed, helped clean up, and had short, unsatisfying conversations with Gerard. It seemed now that everyday we would stay behind and clean up and he would show me what he had drawn. Then he or I would ask a question that he or I didn’t really want to answer. And that was how it went.

But today, Friday, as I was stowing a light in the closet, Gerard came up to me seeming more nervous than usual, if that was even possible. He didn’t show me his drawing and didn’t talk. We put the lights away in silence and as I was getting ready to leave, he came up to me.

“Hey, I was uh, wondering if maybe you would want to, um hang out sometime?” he asked shyly, his cheeks going totally crimson.

“As in a date?” I asked, trying to look in his eyes, which he had shrouded, in inky hair. He nodded and looked down. I thought about it for a moment. He seemed like a nice enough guy and this might be a better way to get to know him. “Yeah, I think it would be really fun.” I agreed. He looked very relieved for a second and I smirked.

“So…I’ll pick you up at eight tomorrow and we could go see a movie if you want.” He said, his posture a little more relaxed now.

“That sounds cool. What movie?” I asked.

“Well, they have Interview With The Vampire playing.” He suggested.

“I’ve been wanting to see that one!” I said happily. Gerard smiled the first real smile I think I ever saw him make.

“Cool, I guess I’ll see you then.” He said. I smiled and nodded and then we left.



THE NEXT NIGHT

I was in my bathroom, getting gussied up for my date. Nothing too fancy, but better than just casual wear. I looked in the mirror and fluffed my messy hair. I looked pretty good. But my scar was making me feel more self-conscious than it usually did. I frowned, but a knock at my apartment door awoke me from my thoughts.

“Hey Gerard.” I said, opening my door. He smiled, friendlier than usual. I took a risk and pulled him into a hug. At first he seemed shocked, but hugged back. He smelled like cigarettes and vodka.

“Are you ready to go?” he asked after we pulled apart.

“Yeah, let me just get my bag. You can come in.” I said, going back inside and leaving the door open. I went into my tiny kitchen and grabbed my messenger bag off the counter. I would have to wash my dishes later. I didn’t have a dishwasher and they were piling up fast.

I came back to see Gerard staring around and my bald cat Xerxes meowing meanly at him. I put my bag around my shoulders and went to pick up Xerxes. He mellowed as I scratched his ears.

“Nice place.” He said as he looked around and then at me.

“Thanks.” I smiled, still petting the disgruntled cat. “You want to pet him? His name is Xerxes.” I said, noticing that Gerard was staring at him.

“Nah, I’m allergic.” He said, shaking his head.

“Same here. He doesn’t shed or lick himself because he has no hair.” I grinned. Gerard shrugged and reached out his hand to pet my cat. As if under demonic possession, Xerxes opened his fang filled mouth and hissed at Gerard who jerked his hand back. I pulled Xerxes back and glared at him.

“Bad Xers, you know we don’t treat guests like that.” I scolded. Xerxes just squinted his yellow eyes and jumped from my arms before slinking down the hall. “Sorry, he’s kind of a mean cat.” I said.

“It’s okay.” Gerard smiled. “Are we ready to go?” he asked.

“Oh, yeah.” I said. We headed out the door and were about to get into the elevator when my landlady, Mrs. Ramierez decided to interrupt. She poked out of her door wearing a pink bathrobe with her brown hair in curlers. She had yellow, elbow length rubber gloves on her and a martini in her hand and I wondered what on earth she was doing.

“Holla Babette!” she called, her Spanish accent very thick.

“Hello Mrs. Ramierez. How are you doing?” I asked, trying to be polite. She was a nice lady, but a little bit nuts.

“I’m good. When you get the rent chica?” she asked.

“I will have it tomorrow.” I said, pushing the buttons on the elevator.

“Who is with you? Are you going on a date? Do you have a condom?” she asked, peering through her brown eyes at Gerard, who was cracking up. My face burned.

“Mrs. Ramierez-.” I began.

“Here, I give you one.” she said, reaching into the pocket of her robe and throwing one at me. It hit me right between the eyes. Gerard was really getting a kick out of this. I picked it up, blushing furiously as I put it in my pocket. Thankfully, her husband called for her and she had to leave. Gerard and I laughed the entire trip to the theater.

The movie was good. Gerard paid for popcorn and our drinks. He was a perfect gentleman to tell you the truth. Unlike most guys I dated, he didn’t try to cop a feel or pinch my ass. We just sat and watched our vampire movie quietly like the rest of the people in the theater.

But then when I reached into the popcorn bucket to grab a handful, Gerard did the same and our fingers touched. We whipped our hands out of there so fast we sent the bucket flying onto the people whom sat in front of us. But at least our stifled laughter was able to cover up the awkward moment.

Then during the middle of the movie, when Claudia was about to kiss Louis on the balcony, I felt Gerard’s arm slowly creep across my shoulders. I was a bit surprised by this act of affection. I could feel his tenseness. Just as Claudia kissed Louis, I leaned my head on Gerard’s shoulder, hoping to show him it was okay to touch me.

We stayed like this the rest of the movie. I couldn’t help but feel slightly distracted by Gerard’s arm. He had loosened up and was holding the top of my arm with his callused hand. I, in truth, was very comfortable. I couldn’t remember the last time a boy had been so sweet to me. It was a nice change from the bums I usually dated.

When the movie was over, Gerard and I were both reluctant to leave our comfy position. But we stood up and walked outside to his car. The night air stung my bare skin and I’d wished I brought a jacket with me.

“Well, it’s only ten. We could go walk around if you want.” Gerard offered as we settled into the car.

“Sure.” I smiled. I hadn’t been on a date in a long time, and I was having a good time. As we drove, Gerard put a CD into the radio. Poison’s “Nothing But A Good Time” started playing and I grinned.

“This band is my guilty pleasure.” Gerard admitted, seeing my smile. I laughed.

“I actually really like this song.” I told him. He nodded, impressed. We drove on into the city, listening to a cocktail of Poison, Black Flag, and Iron Maiden. I wasn’t so into the thrashing and bashing. I preferred softer, easier music like Marilyn Monroe and Frank Sinatra.

Gerard pulled into a parking space and opened my car door for me. It was freezing out side and as we started walking I began to shiver.

“Hey, you’re shaking.” Gerard mentioned. I shook my head.

“I’m fine.” I insisted, but my chattering teeth gave it away. Gerard then pulled off his jacket and handed it to me.

“Here, I’m wearing two shirts.” He said. I took the jacket and put my arms through the sleeves. It was far too big for me, but it was warm and soft inside and smelled like Gerard.

“Thanks.” I said, smiling. Gerard smiled too. He had a pretty smile. He should show it off more often.

We walked down the streets, seeing all sorts of amazing sights. There was a fire breather and a person walking on stilts. The city seemed to be teeming with life. There was a street festival going on for something. Gerard and I walked through it all. Then we saw this emptied out parking lot lit by hundreds of lanterns on strings. There was a cover band playing and lots of people dancing.

“Hey, let’s go check this out!” I said, taking Gerard’s hand and rushing across the street.

We dove headfirst into the massive swaying crowd. The band started playing Tiffany’s “I Think We’re Alone Now”. Everybody was slow dancing and there was an awkward pause. Then Gerard put his hands on my waist and I put mine on his shoulders. We swayed to the music with the rest of the crowd. As the song went on, I found myself getting closer and closer to Gerard, as if he was magnetic. Soon I found my head resting on his broad shoulder and my eyes closed.

“This song is really lame.” I mumbled. Gerard laughed and I did too. Way to kill a moment.

When the song ended, we left the crowd and headed back to the car. Only when we were there did I realize we had been holding hands the entire time. Gerard opened my door and I got in. He turned the music back home and I fell asleep.

Gerard shook me gently when we got to my apartment complex. I awoke and he walked me to my door.

“I had a lot of fun.” I said as we stood in front of my door.

“Me too. Would you want to hang out again sometime?” he asked shyly.

“Of course!” I said, perking up at the idea despite how sleepy I felt. Gerard grinned.

“I could pick you up tomorrow at twelve if you want.” He offered.

“That would be really nice.” I smiled, flashing him my flirty eyes.

“Awesome. I’ll see you then.” He said.

Then he did something very unexpected. He leaned down and planted a very tiny, very sweet little kiss on my left cheek. I think I gasped because I wasn’t expecting it at all. But it was sweet and simple, just like Gerard. He pulled away, blushing just as much as I was.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said. I opened my door and watched as he walked away. “Gerard! Wait, your jacket!” I called, realizing I was still wearing it.

“Keep it!” he called back. He waved and I waved back.

That night after I took off my make up and fed Xerxes, I crawled into bed wearing the jacket. Xerxes was ignoring me because it smelled so strongly of him. Tonight had been a lot of fun, but before I even had a chance to savor it, I fell asleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story