Categories > Books > Outsiders > One Summer Dream

Chapter 16

by Darkpurplepen 0 reviews

Category: Outsiders - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2010-11-17 - Updated: 2010-11-17 - 403 words

0Unrated
After hanging out with Sodapop and Steve at the DX for a little while, Ponyboy decided to leave and said good-bye to Two-Bit as they walked in separate directions.

As he walked down the sidewalk, Pony reached into his jean pockets and fumbled around, craving for a cigarette. When he found one he leaned against a building and lit it up. Just then his head when he heard a clicking against the slab of concrete. He turned his head and to his surprise, it was Cherry Valance.

Ponyboy’s shoulders tensed as she smiled when she recognized him. Her red hair was blowing around her head from the wind and her cheeks were flushed pink.

“Hey Cherry.” He greeted. “Fancy seeing you again.”

"Hi Pony." She smiled back. "How are you."

He shrugged.

"Okay I guess."

They both stood in an awkward silence for a minute before Cherry cleared her throat and spoke again.

"Ponyboy, listen, I've been thinking lately…about this whole Bob thing, and us, and...I just, I don't know. I just don't think I was very...fair."

Pony’s brows furrowed.

“Why do you say that?”

“I don’t know…I guess maybe I should have visited Johnny in the hospital when you asked. I should have talked to you in school.”

“Forget about it. You spied on the socs for us and testified at my trial. You did a lot for us. And you can’t help the way things are between us. You know…me being a greaser and all…”

“But I don’t want it to be like this anymore.” Cherry responded while shaking her head. “I don’t like it…but I do like you Ponyboy. It’s just…”

"Not fair?" Pony finished.

"Yeah."

"So, um, what do you, like, want?"

Cherry sighed heavily.

“I don’t know.”

She brushed a piece of stray hair away from her face, and the simple gesture made Ponyboy's stomach churn. He knew he shouldn't feel like this, but he wanted to reach out and tuck it behind her ear for her. But she was a soc and he was a greaser, and there was nothing anyone could ever do about that.

"If you don't mind, I uh, I think I'm going to go. It was nice seeing you again Ponyboy." And then she was gone, a flurry of red hair disappearing off into the darkening East Side streets.
Sign up to rate and review this story