Categories > Original > Fantasy > Darkness Rising

Seperate Ways

by HazyDreams91 0 reviews

Things didn't turn out as planned, which isn't a surprise. Oh well, time to bring out the big guns...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2010-11-24 - Updated: 2010-11-24 - 1627 words

0Unrated

[The story, setting and characters have been made by the author HazyDreams91 and all rights are reserved.]






Chapter 6



For a moment it was silent, I thought I had gone deaf. But Zephyr was moving his wings a bit so I could hear him ruffle his feathers. It was at that moment, I felt a weird, cold chill run up my spine. Immediately I knew this had been a bad idea. The silent tension was growing so thick you could probably cut it with a knife. The only other time that had happened was when I had been so mad at Kim that the very air around us was swirling with a disturbing pressure; and that was a while ago. “Get out…” She responded finally, narrowing her eyes at me, then turning to look at Zephyr. “Get him out,” Kim pointed up at him, then looked over at me. “Then let yourself out.” I was surprised as hell to hear those words coming out of my supposedly best friend. She was always considering me her best bud, so I assumed she would help me in times of need; and boy was I need of her assistance.
I didn’t turn to look at Zephyr when she pointed, instead I narrowed my eyes as well. “Get out? Is that all you have to say? Aren’t we best friends?” Kimberly stood up, walking over to her door to let us out. “You know that’s true, but I can’t help you.” I scowled at that, what the hell did that even mean? “So we’re best friends and you’re kicking me out of your own house? Explain to me in detail, because I sure as hell am not leaving without an explanation up to my standards.” I crossed my arms over my chest, leaning on one leg, hip pushed out on one side. If any of you recognize that pose, you also know that when a female does that, she means business. Don’t get in her way.
Kimberly narrowed her eyes even further, her aura brimming with irritation. She obviously expected me to leave without anything to say. “It’s my house, you can’t just decide to stay here!” She yelled at me, I simply ignored her rather harsh use of tone. “And you can’t just kick out your ‘best friend’ just like that for no reason. So either you tell me, or we’re going to have a serious problem.” I responded, continuing to stare her down. She walked over to me, her short stature barely reaching above my shoulders. “Is that so?” Kim looked up to stare at me straight in the eyes, obviously trying to make me loose my nerve. Too bad it wasn’t working. I smirked and turned away, but not because I got nervous, but because I walked back to her couch and sat down to wait for her to explain herself.
“Believe me when I tell you, you’re not my favorite person right now and I would like to leave, but not because you told me to but because you’re being stupid.” I continued. “ So if you could explain to me the reason why I’m being kicked out in a few words, I’ll be out of here and on my way to someplace I’m wanted.” I could hear Zephyr start to walk towards the door from beside me, I stood up, blocking his way. “Wait.” I told him, keeping my eyes on Kim the entire time. Surprisingly, he stopped advancing further. “The young maiden retracts her invitation. We should honor this and be on our way.”
Kimberly glowered at Zephyr, the hate was very strong in her. I could tell. “This…thing. Tell it to be quiet. Take it with you. Its presence is not welcomed.” She said, walking back towards the door and opening it. A cold breeze blew yellow autumn leaves through the door, they danced an elegant melancholy waltz. Then it clicked, it wasn’t me she had a problem with, it was Zephyr. “Why don’t you like him?” I asked her, walking towards her, I still hadn’t looked back to see if the winged man was still there. Kimberly lowered her gaze to the floor, trying to hide the expression in her eyes. I figured, by the way she was acting, if he was here, she wouldn’t talk. After ignoring him for a while, I finally turned to look at Zephyr.
He was standing there, his wings gone. He knew she wasn’t too fond and considered Kim’s feelings on this. “Zephyr…” I began to say softly, it was hard to tell someone they needed to be gone for a moment and exclude them on the conversation that had everything to do with them. But it had to be done. “Could you wait outside? I need a moment here.” I waited for him to move, and he did. He didn’t hesitate, and bowed on the way out as an apology I assumed. Who knew what it meant, but at least he was gone.
“Can you explain to me now why you don’t like him?” Kimberly lifted her gaze from the floor, looking me in the eyes, a serious expression plastered on her face. “You have to leave him. It’s not safe.” She whispered, looking outside to make sure he wasn’t lurking about to eavesdrop on us. “Why?” I asked, raising my eyebrow involuntarily. She sighed, it looked like she was trying to find a way to say what she wanted to say. “He’s…evil. Can’t you see he’s a demon? Angels can’t come down here….I told you that already.” She frowned, the concern in her eyes. I brushed that off. She’d still kicked me out of her house for a reason that didn’t make sense to me. “He’s no demon, and he’s not evil…so far. I’m going to help him Kim, and I came here to ask for your help.” Her eyebrows furrowed in clear anger, she was not pleased. “You can’t!”
“I can…” I countered. Taking a step towards the exit. “You’re siding with the devil…you can’t be saved after that. He’ll steal your soul and you’ll go to hell.” It was my turn to show my anger. “You know what, I can do whatever the hell I want. You can’t dictate peoples lives with fear. I know he isn’t evil and you’re too full of your self righteous bullshit you can’t understand what’s right and wrong in this life. There’s many forms of it, not just one clear straight line. And the bible says it too. Every life is imperfect, and living on the sidelines to keep it ‘perfect’ is not living at all. God knows this, but like you’ve said many times over, he forgives if you repent. I hope you repent Kim, because you’re heading for a great tragedy.” I turned around to storm off but stopped halfway, I was hoping I would be too far to hear her but I wasn’t. “You’re wrong you know! You’ve fallen from grace! God is not on your side! And I’m on his!”
I rolled my eyes in irritation, she just wouldn’t quit with the BS that she fed people in order to manipulate them to follow her. I turned right back around and stopped in front of her door. “You know, if that’s the case then good bye. You’re the one who wants to end this, fine, it’ll be a load off of me anyways. And you know what else? Who do you think God is with? Only you Kimberly? The purest one of all? He’s all around us, with me and with you. You don’t own him, and you sure as hell don’t judge for him. He’s my judge and he’ll decide where I stand, not you.” I turned around and ran back before she could say anything else. Kimberly always had a way of making religion annoying; she always brought it up in every occasion. It never failed.
I walked towards the car, sliding into the passengers seat, resting my head on the steering wheel. I sighed heavily. It was always like this with her. Stress after stress after stress. I couldn’t get a break. Thank god I didn’t live next door to her. I would’ve died.
“Is everything well?” I heard a silky voice say coming from the passengers seat; I’d forgotten about Zephyr completely. “I guess…” I replied unenthusiastically, almost monotone. He didn’t question any further, probably suspecting it was best to give me some space. Good, I needed it.
I quickly turned the engine on, driving towards the exit of the community. Half way down the street, I realized something odd. I had just ended a friendship over some guy who for all I knew, could actually be a demon in disguise. Well that was lovely, at least it was a legitimate reason. She was on crack and I needed a drug free friend to help me. Next on the list was Alexis, but I didn’t talk to her much. Hmm….maybe…Desirea?
I turned the corner to head over to one of my chosen friends house, this ride was going to have some serious turbulence. And by the way things were panning out, it was only going to get worse. Great. Just great….




[Do you think I should continue my story? Then say so. Review and Rate please.]
Sign up to rate and review this story