Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Summer of Secrets

Chapter Two

by godessoftrees 0 reviews

Harry confronts Ginny about his feelings for her.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Ginny,Harry - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2010-11-24 - Updated: 2010-11-25 - 1004 words

-1Boring
Disclaimer: I own nothing except for the plot.




Chapter Two




Forthe next week Ginny stayed in her room, only venturing out for meals and late night showers. Harry knew she was avoiding him. At mealtimes she seemed cheerful enough, but he had enough empathy to know it was just a front.




Following her nightly ritual, Ginny excused herself from the dinner table. After she put her dishes in the sink she kissed her mother and father goodnight, claiming her homework was piling up. Molly and Arthur exchanged a worried glance but didn't voice their opinions.




Harry knew Ginny was finished with her homework, even if it was only a few weeks into the summer holiday. Every night for the past week she had worked on it, and he knew there was no way she had been assigned that much homework. Even Professor McGonagall, the stern Transfiguration professor, wouldn't expect the students to actually complete that much homework over break. Harry decided that enough was enough. For the last week she had hid up in her room, and he wasn't going to allow it anymore. She had to come out of her shell. Something was bothering her; he just didn't know what it was.




H/G




Ginnywas curled up in her bed reading the latest Muggle romance novel that had arrived by owl post. How she desired to have someone love and appreciate her like Jim loved and appreciated Mary Ann. Of course, hadn't Harry said just last week that he liked her? As quickly as the thought had entered her mind she pushed it away. That was preposterous. Harry Potter lusting after poor little Ginny Weasley? Not likely.




Ginny was so engrossed in her novel that she didn't hear the knock on her bedroom door, nor did she see Harry enter the room. It was only when he sat down on her bed that she noticed him. She jumped in surprise and frowned.




“Harry!You gave me fright. What are you doing here? Don't you know how to knock?” Ginny scowled.




Harry nodded. “I do and I did, but you didn't answer. I assumed you were still avoiding me. I apologise for intruding, but quite frankly I've had enough of this.”




“Enough of what?” Ginny marked her page in her book and laid it aside on her night stand.




“You've been hiding up here for the past week. I know you're avoiding me. It's quite obvious. You can't keep doing this for long. I know you've completed your homework.” Harry looked at her seriously.




“You don't know anything.” Ginny turned away from him angrily.




Harry sighed and moved to the other side of the bed so she was facing him.“Why are you doing this? I know something is bothering you. Why won't you tell me? It can't be fixed if you don't get help.”




Ginny knew he was right, but at the moment she really didn't care. “Nothing is wrong and nothing is bothering me, thank you very much.” She glared at him. “Now if you will excuse me I'd like to be alone.”




Ginny reached for the book on her nightstand but Harry grabbed her hand.“Fine, but at least answer me this. Why haven't you said anything to me about what I said last week? I really like you, Ginny. That isn't the sort of thing a bloke tells you and you don't respond to.” He sighed and withdrew his hand, running it through his hair. “I know you feel the same way. Why don't we go to the village, spend some time together?”




“That goes to show what you know. I'm over you, Harry.” Ginny turned away from him again.




“Maybe you've fooled yourself with that little white lie, but I know better. I know you.” Harry moved yet again so Ginny was facing him.




“You know, I'm turning away from you for a reason,” Ginny scowled.




Harry chuckled. “I move for a reason.” He reached for her hand.“I really do want to be with you, Ginny. Why won't you give me a try? Give us a try?”




“I can't . . . I can't do that, Harry.”




“Why not?”




“You'll just break my heart again. I've spent too much time trying to get over you to ruin it all in one moment of weakness. Anyway, all blokes are alike. They always get bored with me and decide I was just awaste of time.” Ginny pulled her hand back.




“I'm not like other guys. Surely you of all people would know that,” Harry mumbled.




Ginny's eyes widened. “Oh, Harry. I didn't mean it that way.” She sighed. “Look, I'm just going through a lot right now. I don't think entering a relationship would be the best idea.”




That was when Ginny noticed Harry staring at her wrist. Self-consciously, she tried to discreetly pull her sleeve down over it. This didn't go unnoticed. He gently grasped her hand and pulled the sleeve back up.




“What happened?” Harry gasped when he saw the slash on her wrist. It was clearly infected. The area around it was bright red and inflamed, and the wound itself was covered in a yellow scab.




Ginny jerked her hand back and pulled her sleeve back down. “Pig. You know how he is, always so excited. He got a bit carried away the other day.” The lie came easily, and Harry seemed to accept it.




“You need to have your mum look at it. It's infected,” Harry said kindly.




“I will tomorrow.” Ginny shifted awkwardly on the bed.




“I'll leave you alone, but please, just consider it. Just one date. If Ifudge it up, I won't pester you again.” Harry stood up.




Ginny sighed. “Fine. One date. Tomorrow, we'll go into the village.”




Harry's face lit up. “Really? You mean it?”




Ginny nodded. “Yes. Now get, I was just at the good part.” She grabbed her book and cracked it open.




Harry laughed. “Fine, I'll go. Until tomorrow.”




Ginny looked up from her book to glance at him. “Until tomorrow.”
Sign up to rate and review this story