Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > This Is Where It Starts

I Can See Your Tracks

by kenzoid 1 review

Gerard finds the sign that he's been looking for.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Published: 2010-11-27 - Updated: 2010-11-28 - 1512 words - Complete

2Insightful
BABETTE
The band carried on the with the album, but in a new direction. Gerard said that the album would be based on all the things that Helena had taught him and Mikey growing up. It was about painting, writing, horror films and his aggression toward the fact that she had died so suddenly, whith any warning. On occasion he would run lyrics by me and I would always have to ask whom he was angry at and he would always reply with "everybody".

“Gerard? What are you doing?” I asked, coming into the living room after picking up some groceries at the local supermarket.

“I’m painting a picture.” He said defensively. There were pastels and watercolor paints strewn across the small coffee table along with numerous paintbrushes.

“Of what?” I asked, craning my neck in a futile attempt to see as I put away the food.

“Of us. Now stop peeking! You can’t see it until its finished!” Gerard said, shooing me away. I rolled my eyes and continued organizing the food and he continued work on her latest piece.

I was rather happy today. Gerard hadn’t taken too many pills and hadn’t touched a single drink all day. Not that he could’ve even if he wanted to; I’d dumped all the booze in the toilet in anger after our last spat.

“Okay, come here.” Gerard called once he’d finished. I cautiously sat beside him on the couch and he handed me the painting. “What do you think?” he asked, looking up at me eagerly.

“Its beautiful…” I mumbled, staring at it. It was a picture of two lovers, about to kiss. Both of them looked agonized and sad, especially the girl.

“And this is supposed to be us?” I asked, turning back to Gerard. He nodded shyly. “You didn’t paint my scar…And the hair is a bit short.” I said, looking back at the painting. I wasn’t mad about it. In fact, I was relieved.

“Well, it’s from the other side so you can’t see it. I didn’t want it to be too obvious that it was you.” Gerard informed me. I nodded.

“You should show this to the boys. It could be the cover for the album.” I told him, handing him back the painting.

“Ya think?” Gerard asked. I nodded again. “I also drew up this once while you were gone.” Gerard said, showing me one of a girl with a bloody sheet over her chest.

“Who’s this?” I asked. It certainty wasn’t me. She didn’t have a scar at all.

“That’s my ex. She happened way before I met you…” Gerard said. “She’s dead to me now.” he added bitterly, setting the painting back on the table.

“I can see that.” I said, raising my eyebrows. Gerard never mentioned her before. I wondered what brought it up.

“Well, I should start cleaning up.” Gerard said, starting to gather his supplies.

“And I should go get Elodie.” I said. Elodie was with Mikey and Benny…again.

“She’s been spending a lot of time with Mikey. I hope he’s not getting the wrong idea about it.” Gerard said as he picked up.

“Me too. Of all the people to have a crush on, he chose Ellie.” I agreed, shaking my head as I grabbed my car keys. Gerard chuckled and I headed out the door.

It was a beautiful, gray and rainy day in New Jersey. The pavement was shining and wet, jet-black from the rain. The sky was overcast and milky white in some spots. I admired the loveliness of it all as I approached the front door. I felt slightly elated for the first time in days.

“Hello? Is anybody home?” I asked, peering into the house. The door was slightly ajar and I pushed it open gently. Elodie might have forgotten to close it; she did that a lot.

I stepped into the living room and heard laughter and off-key singing. I looked around the corner to the kitchen where I saw Mikey holding Ben and dancing around while Elodie laughed, clapped and sang “Across The Universe” by The Beetles. Benny had a huge smile on his cherub-like face. Instead of interrupting such a joyous moment, I stood there and watched from afar, wishing Gerard was here to see this.

“Oh! Babs!” Mikey exclaimed, when he saw me. He handed Ben to Elodie and both their faces went scarlet. I just smiled and laughed.

“I’m here to get Elle and Ben.” I said, still smiling. Elodie kissed Mikey’s cheek before leaving with me.

“We should talk Elle.” I said as she strapped Ben into his car seat and sat next to him.

“About what?” she asked. I started the car and drove down the road a bit.

“I don’t think you should be doing this to Mikey. It isn’t fair to him. He really likes you and I know that you aren’t always the most likeable person and with Benny and all…” I said, my voice trailing off.

“And all of what?” Elodie asked a tad angrily.
“Well, I just don’t think he needs the responsibilities of taking care of you and Ben the way he does. It isn’t fair for him to be dragged into such a serious commitment. I mean, he has albums to do and tours to finish Elle. He won’t always be there.” I said, explaining it as best as I could. Elodie huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

“It isn’t like that. I’m not making him do any of this. He wants to be with Ben.” Elodie fired back.

“I know he does, but-.” I began.

“But what? If you feel so strongly about it why don’t you talk to Mikey about it!” Elodie snapped. I sighed heavily and focussed on my driving.

“Y’know what, forget I ever mentioned it.” I said in a defeated. I really wasn’t in the mood to argue with Elodie right now. We drove home in silence expect for Ben’s baby babble.

“I think Benjie needs a diaper change.” Elodie said as we walked in the front door. I glanced to the living room to see that it was all cleaned up. Elodie took Ben back to her bedroom to change him and I went into the kitchen to find Gerard sitting at the table, writing.

“Another song?” I asked. He nodded and continued writing. I looked in the fridge, trying to find the milk but it was nowhere to be seen.

“Shit! I forgot to get milk while I was at the store.” I cursed under my breath. Gerard looked up from his writing and stuffed the paper in her pocket. “You wanna come with me and get some?” I asked.

“Sure why not.” Gerard shrugged. I went and told Elodie we were going and then left with Gerard.

At the store, while I was looking at milk to see which was cheapest Gerard called me over.

“Babes! Come look at this!” he called. I grabbed a half-gallon and walked over to him. “Did you do that?” he asked, gesturing to the foggy glass freezer window in front of him. I looked and saw that in the fog, Gerard’s name was written perfectly, as if it had been typed up on a computer instead of hand written.

“No, babe I haven’t even been over here.” I said truthfully.

“Do you think somebody could’ve recognized me when we came in?” he asked, peering over his shoulder. As the band became more and more successful, their once tiny fan base had spread throughout the local music scene.

“No, babe. This place is deserted.” I said, putting my hand gently on his arm. He bit in lip in deep thought.

We were both thinking it, thought none of us said anything about it. This had to be a sign from her, from Helena. How else could this have gotten here? Maybe we were just being stupid as we stood there, admiring her spiritual hand writing, but we felt as though she wanted to tell him something. Maybe to assure him that she was alright and that she wasn’t angry with him for being on tour or that she was happier in the after life. Whatever it was, it caused a small and watery smile to creep its way onto Gerard’s mouth.

“We should go check out.” He mumbled in a hoarse voice before clearing his throat. He was smiling, smiling genuinely for the first time since she had died. I looked at the clock above us and realized we had been standing there in deep thought for almost ten minutes.

We checked out and when we got home I cooked up some chicken and dumplings for dinner. Gerard went into the bedroom and I heard him tell Mikey excitedly about what we had scene at the store.
Sign up to rate and review this story