Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > Witness

Espadas

by Will2672 0 reviews

Now staying at Urahara Shoten, Kawada is present during the Espada assault on Karakura Town.

Category: Bleach - Rating: G - Genres:  - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2010-12-05 - Updated: 2010-12-05 - 1105 words

0Unrated
It had been a month since I observed the battle between Ichigo and the arrancar. I had later found out that the arrancar was a member of former captain Aizen’s elite force, the Espada. Apparently he held the number six. His name was Grimmjoww Jeagerjaques.
Sitting outside the ‘Urahara Shoten’, I continued to clean the blade of my nameless zanpakuto. I had been attempting to learn it’s name for the entirety of my time in the store. My efforts, however, were to no avail. Still, I was unable to hear the screams of my blade. Still, it’s voice did not reach me.
Assistant captain Abarai was down in the underground training area today. It was only after I arrived at the store that I discovered that he, too, was living there. Unfortunately, we didn’t interact much. Urahara was having him spar with a human by the name of Yastora Sado. There was no time for me to question him on the nature of learning the name of my zanpakuto.
Staring up at the brilliant blue of the sky, I was reminded of the Espada. The colour of the sky was identical to his hair. Just thinking about Grimmjoww, I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I could still remember that terrifying, crushing, sensation of his spiritual pressure.
Despite the warm, sunny, weather a chill was sent running down my spine. The mere thought of an arrancar scared the crap out of me. It was a wonder why Urahara still kept me around. I was of no further use to him.
Still looking up at the sky, I allowed the morning light to pour over my face. As the glare of the sun caught the material of my shihakusho, the black cloth began to shimmer, like liquid tar.
“Hey there Kawada,” arose the familiar voice of Kisuke Urahara, behind me.
Turning around, my gaze fell on the figure of a man wearing a hat, pulled low over his eyes, and a pair of wooden sandals.
“Morning Mr Urahara,” I said, breaking into a strained smile.
“Lovely day, isn’t it?” he asked, attempting to make conversation.
“I guess,” I muttered in reply.
“Come now,” he said, sitting down next to me. “Life’s too short to go around not appreciating the little things.”
“You and I both know that that’s not true,” I stated, sheathing my zanpakuto.
“Very true,” Urahara chuckled, raising his cane into the light. Changing the topic, his voice suddenly grew serious. “Have you learnt the name of your sword yet?”
“No…” I mumbled in reply, shame welling in the undertones of my voice. “No matter how hard I try, it wont reach me…”
“Don’t worry…” Urahara said. “It’ll reach. It always will. You just have to open up your soul to it.”
Sitting there, perplexed, I attempted to interpret what he meant. This man had a habit of never giving a straight answer.
Chuckling to himself, Urahara regained his goofy attitude. Reaching up with his right hand, he straightened his hat and broke into a smile.
“It’s hard to believe that in a few months, the Hogyoku will awaken and Aizen will attack…” he muttered, apparently to himself. Melding into the ambiance, I attempted not to be noticed and listened. “It’s hard to believe that… in a few months, people may die…”
Thinking back to my comrades in the soul society, I voiced my concerns: “Do you think…any of my friends will be killed?” I asked.
“Presumably not,” ha said, again serious. “Arrancars…even those created from gillian level menos, can only be killed by those with a seated position. I doubt that even yourself will have to fight.”
It wasn’t the answer that I expected. To be honest, I thought that he would tell me that there would be a chance that I could die. It was unexpected. To be honest, I was disappointed. I wanted a chance to fight…to protect the soul society. However…this was all I deserved. Me, who knows not the name of his own zanpakuto.
It was then that it happened. The terrifying, crushing, sensation assaulted me again. It was spiritual pressure. There were arrancars in Karakura town.
“Four…” Urahara mumbled to himself. “I’m guessing that they’re espadas…all of them.”
“What?” I stammered, eyes opening wide in shock.
“Hmmm…” he hummed in response, standing up. “I’d better go inside…”
“Why?”
“If I don’t stop them, Mr Abarai and Mr Sado may do something rash… I need to inform them that their services are not required. I will handle this one myself.”

*

As soon as Urahara had left, I had begun to follow him. He was fast. Unbelievably so. But, with determination to spare, I eventually caught up to him.
Upon arriving at the site of the arrancar arrival, I felt a familiar presence. Grimmjoww was near by. I was sure of it.
But….there was a more pressing matter at hand. Above me, suspended in midair as it standing on some sort of invisible surface, was a grotesque form. Eight long limbs, much like an octopus, were connected to the form of a small, effeminate looking individual. And…several of these appendages had hold of three soul reapers.
Assistant adjutant Ikkaku Madarame, 5th seat Yumichika Ayasegawa and Assistant captain Rangiku Matsumoto were all being restrained by the monstrosity. Was this the power of an Espada?!
All of a sudden, a high toned whistle filled my ears. It resembled the noise a firework made as it soared into the sky. As the noise persisted, a wave of crimson spirit energy soared through the air and sliced through the appendage that was wrapped around Matsumoto.
Jerking my head to the side, I caught sight of the source of the blast. Urahara was standing, sword raised, several dozen metres away.
All I could do was watch as the Espada and Urahara conversed. I didn’t even know why I followed. With powers like this, I would be easily crushed.
Suddenly, I noticed it…behind Urahara.
“KISUKE, LOOK OUT!!” I screamed, alerting the candy store owner to the impending danger.
Wheeling around on the spot, Urahara raised his blade and struck out at the arrancar which had, somehow, managed to creep up behind him and lunge at his head.
“Uuuhhh…” sighed the arrancar, staring down at it’s hand in mild surprise.
“Whoa,” I heard Urahara say, mock surprise behind his voice. “This one’s kind of weird.”
Then the unthinkable happened. The small, barely human, creature surprised Urahara.
Sign up to rate and review this story