Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Mistake:Revised

Back to Britain?

by Chshre 5 reviews

It's been five years since Harry left Britain and he's happy now right?

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2010-12-09 - Updated: 2010-12-10 - 2243 words

0OOC
Chapter 6

“Potter, my office now!” came a familiar voice, bellowing through the intercom.

Heaving a sigh, Harry lay down the paperwork he had been perusing. Such a summons was not uncommon, especially since yesterday he had closed a huge case. He assumed it was just a briefing, par for the course after each mission. Trudging down the hall, he nodded to a few people, many of who congratulated him on a successful mission.

Knocking on the door before him, “Come in, Potter” said the voice calmly.

Stepping inside, “You wanted to see me sir?” Harry asked.

“Yes, sit down. Debrief me,” he said.

“Well, after all the intelligence we had on Tom Sly, there was no picture of him that we could match anywhere, only last known whereabouts. We tracked those locations and posed as customers ---“ Harry started.

“No, I don’t want to hear about the small details. I want to hear about you and your team’s performance!” he yelled.

“Jackson Cafris was very thorough with intelligence gathering about Sly, even if it was lacking a picture.

Madison Chu and Graham Masters were the surveillance at point A and they immediately radioed for help upon spying our target, and tailed him till we got to point B.

There, Kelsey Anderson and Sawyer Cadwallader assisted Chu and Masters with tailing the suspect, stealthily. Although, before the suspect could head to the meeting point, he spotted Chu and Masters on his tail and they lost him.

This is when Nigel Yates and Christian Blythe arranged a slow-sweep and nailed the target heading to the meeting point, they radioed the coordinates and the entire team with backup managed to get the entire upper hierarchy.

We also pulled Aiden Wallace back from undercover, who found out about the meeting point to begin with. He’s currently undergoing treatment for his time undercover, making sure there are no adverse side effects,” Harry said, as brief and concise as he could.

“And Potter, what about you? I’m surprised you didn’t give yourself a more active role in this, “ he said.

“Sir, we are all part of a team in making sure this guy never gets back on the streets to harm people again,” Harry began.

“Are you sure? This isn’t about not making headlines again?” he asked.

“That never factored into my planning when arranging for this takedown,” Harry replied.

“Good, I wouldn’t want to see one of my best holding back because of what people thought, but you still have not told me your assessment of yourself,” he said.

“I was the one in charge of coordinating each meeting point for all the agents, arranging safe houses and the like for Wallace, and ensuring everything ran smoothly. There was little to no collateral damage because I maintained clear lines of communication.

From a more of less objective point of view, my team and I performed this mission successfully, going above and beyond what was required,” Harry finished.

His boss sat back in his chair and nodded to himself, “I’m quite aware that you and your team are the best there is out there.

That is why I’ve been arranging for differing team positions for each position, I need to know you all can adapt successfully no matter what you’re assigned. Seeing the success of the past ten missions, it stands to reason you all are able to adapt and coordinate according to the team and not to yourself.

Though that brings me back to why you’re here, the British Ministry is asking for our best attack team, to take care of a problem they’re having. They need the problem to be taken care of discreetly, and efficiently with minimal collateral damage. They’re willing to pay top dollar.

Will you take the job?” he asked.

“I will have to talk it over with my team, before I can give you an answer,” Harry said.

“No, Harry, I’m asking you - the current head of the team. You’re the only one here that might have a conflict of interest! Make a decision and don’t hide behind your team,” he said.

“I…I’m not sure, personally if I should return to Britain yet. But professionally, my team and I have no issue with this. We could use the experience of working in different environments. I will take the job, though I’ll require a complete dossier about the situation before my team will give a definite answer,” Harry stated firmly.

“Good, good I’m glad what I’ve taught you hasn’t completely gone to waste. That’s what I hoped you would say. I have a dossier here, as well as a representative on call to arrive when you have finished,” he said with a smile.

“Sir, if I may be excused. It seems I’ve homework to complete and a team to inform,” Harry said.

“Yes, go ahead. Oh and by the way, tell your team there will be bonuses and keep up the good work. They’re the ones to watch around here, you included,” he said before dismissing him with a wave of his hand.

Striding out the door, Harry walked to his office and at the same time signaled his team to meet him there; there were important decisions to be made.

When he got there, his team was already there. Jackson Cafris, Graham Masters and Christian Blythe were sprawled on the couch. Madison Chu and Kelsey Anderson had taken over the two plush chairs meant for visitors. Nigel Yates and Sawyer Cadwallader were leaning against his bookcases and Aiden Wallace, who looked half-asleep, was perched on his desk.

“Hello, everyone,” Harry said when he walked in the door.

Echoes of, “Hey Harry”, reverberated through the room, before the questions started coming.

“How did the meeting go with the big boss?”

“Where’s the food?”

“Anything good for the next one?”

Harry held up his hand, “The big boss said we all get bonuses and keep up the good work, especially for the next case.

We’ve got a good one coming up, but it’s in Britain. They need the best, and we’re the best. The question is, are you up to it? I’ve answered affirmatively, but if there’s anyone that doesn’t want to go, now would be a good time to speak up.”

Nigel Yates spoke up, “I think I speak for all of us - we’re ready to go, but Harry, are you?”

There were nods around the room before glancing back at Harry, waiting for an answer. This would decide the course of the mission; the team would not go without his express okay.

Harry hesitated; this meant a lot that his team was looking out for him. Granted, they were close - being the closest each had to family, ever since Jackson found Harry lounging at the bar that fateful night.

Harry walked in the bar that night not knowing what to expect. He had never done this before – walking into a strange bar. He headed to the bar and ordered a beer.

Sitting at the bar, he amused himself with people watching and occasionally glancing at the flat-screen TV hanging in the corner, with a game playing.

This was where Jackson Cafris found him, “Harry! I didn’t think we’d see you out tonight! We’ve about given up on you coming out with us!”

“Yea, I needed to unpack my apartment,” Harry asked.

“I hear you, it took me about two months to unpack more than my bed and some clothes. And I only did that much because my mom was coming to visit me.

Come, the rest of us are in the back. Let’s go!” Jackson said.

Jackson pulled Harry along, who managed to hang onto his beer as they made their way through the maze of people – dancing, playing darts, chatting or just plain drunk.

“Hey! Look who I found lost up front!” yelled Jackson as soon as they walked in the door, which opened up to a completely different room altogether.

Graham Masters and Christian Blythe were sitting sandwiched between Madison Chu and Kelsey Anderson, Nigel Yates and Sawyer Cadwallader were sitting across from them with Aiden Wallace and Wyatt Grec standing by the door.

Everyone looked up when Jackson walked in with Harry in tow. A chorus of greetings came from everyone there.

“Hey, it’s the new guy”

“Don’t be mean, welcome new guy.”

“You’re one to talk about being mean, not calling him by name”

“If you’re so smart, what’s his name?”

“It’s Harry if you must know.”

“Fine, hey it’s Harry”

Harry couldn’t help but feel comfortable around these people; they were completely at ease with each other, probably from the two weeks of initiation working with each other. Though in this profession you learned to play nice with your co-workers.

Harry smiled and said, “Hey everyone, sorry I’m late. I told Jackson here that I had to take care of some stuff first.”

Nigel Yates asked with a chuckle, “Something more important than getting to know your newest mates, as you British call it?”

Kelsey Anderson hit Nigel on the shoulder before saying, “Don’t mind Nigel, he’s the original missing link. Don’t answer that, it’s nice you came out anyways.”

Harry held up his hands, “No, no it’s alright. I just had to unpack my entire apartment. I was getting pretty sick of living out of my suitcase, besides I’ve been here for three weeks. I thought it was time.”

Christian Blythe spoke up, “I guess it’s an overall problem, I just unpacked this past week and I’ve been here a month already. The department needs to stop piling on the work already.”

Sawyer Cadwallader shook his head, “Christian, you know we wouldn’t be here if the people upstairs didn’t believe we had the potential to be the best.”

Graham Masters replied, “Dave, chill out Christian’s just kidding. We came here to work but it doesn’t hurt to take time out to play.”

Wyatt Grec said, “Hear, hear, Harry we have a motto here – Work hard, party harder!”

Aiden Wallace clapped Wyatt’s shoulder, “Well, that is if you’re up to taking that hangover the next day, work or not.

Jackson remarked, “We’ve all done it. So Potter take a load off and introduce yourself!”

Throughout this entire conversation Harry was amused, by the easygoing nature of everyone. Just banter, conversation and laughs, everything he had been missing in England.

Harry started, “Well, I’m from London, Britain. I recently applied for a transfer over here because I was getting pretty antsy. I was just sitting on my hands waiting for something to do. And I had some personal issues that I don’t want to talk about.

I heard this was one of the best places for to get right to the top, that’s what I’m shooting for – the top.”

Madison was the first to remark, “Harry, that’s what all of us are here for – the top position. The chance to have everything.”

Nigel and Aiden nodded in agreement, “We left everything behind to gamble on this.”

Kelsey said, “Who knows, someday in the future we could be working for each other.”

Christian said, “I don’t know about you guys, but I want to be the one giving orders.”

Wyatt laughed, “Christian, that’s a no brainer. We all do, but we gotta work for it.”

Madison said, “We can all be friends too, it’ll be better with as a friendly competition than if we all hated each other.”

Sawyer said, “That’s what we’re doing here right?”

Jackson bounced up, “Of course, let’s drink many beers to our competition!”

Harry raised the beer to his lips, yes; this was a good place to start afresh.

“Thanks everyone, but my personal issues aside, professionally we’re obligated to take the case. We’re the best there is! And it seems as though Britain’s own personnel is not enough.” Harry said.

“Let’s go over there and show those Brits how us Americans do it!” yelled Nigel.

Sawyer and Christian slowly reached for Nigel to restrain his enthusiasm; no one wanted a repeat of the last time’s office wrecking by Nigel’s enthusiasm.

Jackson looked at Harry concernedly, “Are you sure Harry? We could split the team and have half of us go over there to take care of things.

Harry looked at Jackson gratefully, “Jackson, thanks for the concern. But if I’m really that bad I’ll hand over command to someone else.”

Will got up, “Harry, promise us if there’s anything wrong, we’re here for you. The slightest twinge you have we’ve got your back.”

Harry nodded at everyone, “Thanks everyone, I mean it. You guys are the great for the concern. But I promise I’m fine. Now everyone should go home, get some rest and get everything together we’ll meet back here in three days for the briefing.”

As everyone filed out, Madison came over and hugged him tightly, “If you need anything just give me a call,” she kissed him softly before walking out the door.
Sign up to rate and review this story