Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Simple, The Beautiful, and The Valiant

Rooftop Sanctuary II

by shamefullyyours 0 reviews

It is the night before the beginning of the week long celebrations that would mark the King's victory in ending the war. Fayette once again avoids her father's orders in her only santuary...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2006-05-14 - Updated: 2006-05-14 - 683 words

0Unrated
A girl lay on the sloped roof of her father's mansion, dreaming of youthful ideals and gazing into the endless ocean of stars. She sighed, absently toying with the long dagger she usually kept concealed in her belt. A breeze picked up, stirring the stray hairs that dared to sprout from the two, waist-long braids that lay dormant beside her.
"He is furious."
She startled, but alarm quickly faded to a second sigh and a thin smile. There was only one person who could sneak up on her undetected. The girl's attention returned to the limitless expanse above, and she was slow in her effort to respond.
"Yes."
The girl's mother approached and sat down beside her daughter, all without a sound. Their faces held similar beauty despite the difference of age; the elder wore a simple frock and kept her feet bare, while the younger wore comfortably loose pants that tied tightly at the knees and a skin-tight halter that allowed for silent and flexible movement.
They shared a quiet moment of thought, but their speech was slow and at ease, as if they had all the time in the world to converse. The breeze picked up again, sending the mother's unkempt hair into a liquid frenzy about her face as she spoke.
"I read the letter."
"And what do you think?"
There was a short pause as the girl's mother pieced together the wording. "Such an invitation is no small matter. You are no threat to the chancellor; if he does in fact know of your... occupation, then the job he has to offer may very well be legitimate." There was a slight pause. "Except..."
"Except a pawn is never used twice." She recited the old mantra as her mother had first taught her, so many years ago. "I know the risk of working for someone in his position."
Her mother smiled faintly, but the smile was cut short when they both heard a noise from the trellis that they had both used to climb onto the roof. The mother's next words were said in rushed whisper. "Janus sends for you. Your brother approaches."
Without another sound, without a creak from the rooftop or a rustle from her garb, the mother disappeared down a different side of the roof, completely vanishing into the night's winds. The daughter had learned everything she knew from her mother, including how to soundlessly scale the walls of buildings.
She heard someone climbing up the trellis, and she heard them trying to be quiet in doing so. Her brother was skilled, but he could not better his sister or mother.
"What is it?" She questioned in a relaxed voice once he was fully on top of the roof, if only to remind him that she excelled.
He furrowed his brow and tossed a parcel of clothing beside her.
"Father is looking for you. You had better come up with a good excuse for when he finds you." It was his usual, coarse and slightly muffled voice. He spoke through a simple, tightly-bound cloth mask; where she had been blessed with an angelic face and voice, her brother had received the opposite.
She picked up the parcel and examined it. "What is this?"
"Your disguise. I also have business at the castle tonight, so we should depart quickly."
She unfolded the garment and examined it. Rather, she examined the lack of it. "Who am I supposed to be tonight?"
The brother snickered. "Entertainment." She craned her neck to give him a raised eyebrow, so he elaborated. "An infamous dancer was hired to perform tonight, although she is late. It seems as though a band of rouges have hijacked her and her escort, although no one from the castle will recognize the difference." She scoffed. "I will be waiting. We should make haste." He left the roof quietly, although not silently.
Alone again, under the night sky, Fayette gave one last sigh to the stars before following her mother and brother into the manor below. She quickly changed clothes and prepared for a night of shadows and whispers.
Sign up to rate and review this story