Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Go Ahead and Burn it Down.

How Would You Feel If I Only Sang Sad Songs

by XxLiveyourlifExX 1 review

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2011-02-10 - Updated: 2011-02-11 - 1614 words - Complete

1Ambiance
How Would You Feel If I Only Sang Sad Songs

“What’s up Austin. We’re Fall Out Boy.”

The venue was different. Something bigger. It was packed. It was loud. It was incredible.

**

Chris’ friends had literally dragged her here. She didn’t even know who was playing. Sara just kept gushing that she “had great tickets” and she wasn’t going to let them go to waste.
That’s how Chris ended up here. On the barricade. Like old times.

***

The boys did their normal set. Not really looking at the faces in the crowd. Just performing. Then it was time for the last song.

“We know you guys are here to hear some of our new stuff, but we have a tradition when we come to Austin, so we hope you don’t mind us ending with something older.” Pete said into the mic.

It was tradition now. They didn’t expect her to be there. She hadn’t been for two years. What would change her mind now.

Joe started the rift. Patrick started singing

My heart ticks in beat with these kids that I grew up with.
Living life like’s going out of style.
And you came to watch us play like a big shot talent,
But at the end of the day you know where we come from
And where we call home.


***

Chris had tears in her eyes as she looked up at her friends. She missed them.

***

Hey Chris, you were our only friend.
And I know this is belated, we love you back.


***

The words registered. Chris was full out crying now. Sara and Becca next to her couldn’t figure out what was wrong. “Tina, what is it?”

***

While Patrick was singing the verse, Pete habitually scanned the crowd. It wasn’t until after the next chorus that he saw her. Center stage, right in front. Crying. He went to Patrick. To the crowd it looked like he was just joining in on the harmony as usual, but he was nudging Patrick to look down.

I know you would be there either way
So glad it seems like these times would never fade


Patrick signaled for Joe and Andy to play a filler bridge and he offered his mic to Pete.
Pete shook his head. He couldn’t talk. He would cry. So Patrick took the mic. “Would you guys like to meet Chris?”

The crowd roared. Pete, for the first time that show reached out into the crowd.

***

Beside her Becca and Sara were freaking out. Chris reached out her hand and let Pete pull
her on stage and directly into a hug. She was sobbing now.

Patrick spoke again. “This is our friend Chris. We haven’t seen her in a very long time and we missed her a lot.”

The crowd cheered again. The boys started the song again. Chris stood there in disbelief.

The show was over. The crowd was screaming. The boys freed themselves from their respective musical instruments and descended on Chris. After a few moments they left the stage, none of them able to speak.

Once in the green room there was so many “I missed you”s and things of the like that it would be impractical to list them.

Then Chris remembered. “Oh my gosh, Becca and Sara! I left them out there!”

“I bet they’re still there. We can send security to get them.” Andy said. Chris nodded.

***

Poor Becca and Sara. They had no idea what was going on. They walked into Fall Out Boy’s green room (after a few minutes of freaking out when a security guard came to get them) to find Tina, their best friend, their roommate, the girl they knew so well, sitting on a couch, tucked under Pete Wentz’s arm. PETE FUCKING WENTZ.

“Tina,” said on of the girls nervously in a southern accent, “What’s going on?”

Chris sat up a little, but she didn’t leave her spot on the couch. It had been too long since she had been there, between Pete and Joe. There was no way she was moving. Not even for a second. “These are my friends. My best friends.”

“No way! You don’t even like Fall Out Boy.”

“Ouch,” said Andy, pretending to be hurt. Chris smiled at him.

“It’s-“ Chris’ smile faltered. “It’s complicated.” She remembered how terrible she had been to them. She turned to Pete. “I’m so sorry.”

He saw the tears in her eyes. He wrapped his arms around her. “Don’t worry about it. We’ll talk about it later.”

She nodded and wiped her face, but didn’t move from him embrace. Becca and Sara were standing awkwardly in the doorway. Joe got up and stepped forward.

“I’m Joe,” he said, bowing. “And who are you lovely ladies?”

The giggled. “I’m Sara,” the tall brunette with the accent said. “This is Becca.” She gestured at the shorter blond girl at her side. “We’re huge fans.”

“Ya,” Becca chimed in, “The show was amazing.”

“Thanks,” said Patrick, blushing. “I’m Patrick.”

“We know,” the girls said together. Then they laughed.

Chris was watching the exchanged interestedly. Patrick blushing? What was with that? While she was curious, more important things were on her mind.

“When do you guys have to leave?” She asked.

The boys exchanged looks. “We have a couple days here,” Patrick said slowly.

Chris smiled excitedly. “My parents are flying in tomorrow night. I graduate in two days. Will you guys be here for that?”

“I guess we could make that work,” Pete sighed, but he was smiling. Joe and Andy were giggling.

“What?” Chris asked.

“Did you really think we’d miss your college graduation?” Pete asked, a wicked grin on his face.

“You planned this?”

“There may have been a call to your mother to ask the date…and then we may have manipulated tour dates so we would be in Austin around the time of your graduation…and we may have also given ourselves a week off after our show in Austin.” Pete replied.

“You showing up to the show was a surprise though,” Patrick interjected, “We really didn’t
expect you to come after three years.”

“But we weren’t gonna let you graduate without us. Matt would have killed us,” Andy added.
“Stacy is flying in tomorrow too.”

Chris smiled. She was crying again. “What did I do to deserve friends like you?”

“There was nothing you could have possibly done to get rid of us.” Pete said smiling, tightening his grip on her.

“Ok,” Becca said, “While I have no idea what’s going on here, I’m gonna go ahead and say it’s adorable.”

Chris nodded, “You have no idea.” She looked up at Patrick. “Where are you guys staying?”

“We were gonna get a hotel room, or stay on the bus. We hadn’t decided yet.”

“That’s ridiculous. You’ll stay with us.”

“We don’t want to impose…”Patrick said.

“Liar. Impose all you want,” she was smiling. “Of course, only if it’s ok with my roommates.”

“Like we’re gonna say no to Fall Out Boy,” Sara scoffed.

“They are absolutely welcome to stay with us,” Becca added.

“See. It’s settled.”

“Excellent,” Joe said.

“Do you have anything else to do, or should we go home?” Chris asked.

“We’re done,” Andy said, “But I’m starving.”

“Me too,” Joe said, “Can we stop and get pizza?”

“Sure,” Chris replied, “There’s a place on the way home.”

They went to the bus to get some of their stuff then they walked through downtown Austin. The pizza place wasn’t too far, just a few blocks and on the campus of the University of Texas. The boys got recognized. Some freshmen girls (you could tell by their obscene amount of sorority gear they were wearing) gushed over the boys, making a bit of scene. They were good about it. They took pictures, they signed autographs. By the time they were done, the pizzas were done and they continued the walk home.

“Look at my famous friends,” Chris jested as they walked. “Soooooo important.”

“You’re just jealous,” Joe shot back, joking. “You wanted our autograph and you didn’t get
one.” He stuck his tongue out at her.

She responded by sticking her tongue back out at him.

Becca and Sara were pretty quiet. They were still in shock that Tina knows these people.
When they were still a few blocks away, Chris announced she was tired.

“You didn’t run around on a stage for two hours,” Pete said, “Why are you so tired?”

“I took my last two finals ever today,” Chris explained. “Annnnnd I’ve been up studying for like two days at the library.”

“You’re crazy.” Andy told her.

“Crazy? Maybe, but I did ace my finals.”

“Such accomplishments must be rewarded!” Pete declared. “Would m’lady like a ride home?”

He was referring to a piggy back ride. “Awwww like when we were little,” Chris replied. “Yes please.”

Chris and Pete spent the rest of the walk home terrorizing the other people with them. Just like the used to. Patrick smiled, things were normal. He was afraid when they first decided to surprise her at her graduation that she would be mad and yell, or, worse, she would ignore them and just walk away. He wondered what had changed, but he agreed with Pete, they would talk about that later.

A/N: See look, you hung in there and it got happier. Congrats.
Sign up to rate and review this story