Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > A Knightly Tale of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Ring goes South

by SixxLuver94 0 reviews

The Fellowship and Charlotte began their journey down South.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Aragorn,Frodo,Gimli,Legolas,Pippin,Sam - Published: 2011-04-13 - Updated: 2011-04-13 - 2070 words

0Unrated
Charlotte walks down to the Rivendell Valley where the rest of the Fellowship were waiting. She was frustrated that they had to leave so early in the morning. She carried a small dagger which was strapped to her ankle, and an elven sword that Lord Elrond insisted she take that was strapped to her belt hanging down by her side. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun, she wore a light green thin tank top, with sequins embroidered on it, white skinny pants that were so thin that it reminded her of leggings in her world. She wore black boots that came up over her knees. “Charlie!” Pippin greets her with a cheery personality. Charlotte smiles. “Hey. Sorry I’m late. Arwen..” at the sound of her name Strider looks up. “.. held me back.” She says simply. Gandalf nods. “On we shall go then.” Says he.

Gandalf begins to walk towards the gate of Rivendell, Frodo by his side. Strider walks next to Charlotte. “So shall I call you Aragorn or Strider?” she asks. Strider chuckles. “No sense in hiding who I am. Aragorn is fine.” Charlotte sighs as she looks back at Merry and Pippin who were arguing about something, Sam was walking Bill the Pony, Boromir and Gimli were talking amongst themselves and Legolas who was listening to any sounds of trouble. “Excuse me.” She walks away from Aragorn and over to Legolas. He looks at her before he scanned their surroundings again. “What I don’t understand is, how come no one has asked me how I know what I know. Shouldn’t you be very suspicious of me?” she asks. Legolas walks in silence. Charlotte frowns. “We have other things on our mind right now. Like the Ring for instance. We have no time to worry about if you are who you say you are.” He says. Charlotte thinks about what he said. “Well if it makes you feel any better, I will not betray the fellowship.” She says. Legolas smiles. “That’s good.”

The Fellowship climb up the long steep path out of the cloven vale of Rivendell. Charlotte hung out with Merry and Pippin while they told her stories of the Shire and their experiances. They trekk through a land of Deep Valleys and turbulent waters, the misty mountains rise sharply to their left. They decide to rest for a bit. Sam and Frodo starts up a fire, Aragorn and Boromir are giving Pippin and Merry sword lessons, and Gandalf, Gimli and Legolas were having a discussion. Charlotte sits down on the ground, her back up against a large stone. She closes her eyes for a bit. “Charlotte.” Sounds of raspy breathing are right there as though that person was breathing into her ear. “What?” calls out Charlotte opening her eyes. Gandalf, Gimli and Legolas look at her. “Did you say something, dear?” asks Gandalf. Charlotte shakes her head. “No. nothing.” She pulls her legs up to her chest resting her chin on her knees.

“Get away from the blade, Pippin. on your toes. good, very good. I want you to react, not think.” Boromir tells Pippin. “Should not be too hard.” Says Sam. Charlotte smiles at his comment. She looks over at Frodo and Sam. “I miss the shire.” Says Sam. “Always talking about how I want to leave but now all I want is to go back.” Says Frodo. Charlotte sighs shaking her head. “If anyone were to ask for my opinion, which I note they have not, I would say we are taking the long way round. Gandalf, we can pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin, Balin, would give us a royal welcome.” Says Gimli. Gandalf clearly thinks that is a bad idea. “No, Gimli. I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice.” Says Gandalf sternly. Gimli looks over at Charlotte. “Why don’t we ask the girl. She knows things. Sees them like a spy.” Says Gimli. Charlotte looks over at them. “I am not a spy. Don’t think such foolish thoughts.” She stands up, just as Boromir thrusts his sword at Pippin and Merry catching them on the hand. “Ow!” they both yelp in unison. They look up at Boromir before tackling him to the ground. Aragorn laughs.

Legolas’ eyes are fixed intently on a distant dark patch which darts about the sky. Charlotte stands up. “What is that?” asks Sam. The laughter stops and everyone gets serious once again. “We need to hide.” Says Charlotte. Gimli gulps. “Nothing. it's just a wisp of a cloud.” He says. Boromir frowns gazing at it. “It’s moving fast.. against the wind.” He says. Charlotte rolls her eyes. “We. Need. To. Hide.” She repeats. Legolas’ eyes widen as hea realizes what it is. “Crebain from Dunland!” he says. “Hide!” orders Aragorn.

Everyone scrambles to hide. Charlotte gets pulled underneath a bush with Legolas. She strains her neck to look up as the large regiment of crows fly low and overhead at great spead. As their dark shadow passes over the fellowship, a single croak is heard and the crows suddenly wheel away, back towards the south. Everyone staggers to their feet. Charlotte dusts herself off just as Boromir harshly grabs her arm. “Spies of Saruman. The passage South is being watched.” Says Gandalf. Charlotte tries to yank herself out of Boromir’s grip. “She’s a spy. How else would the Crebain know where we are. For all we know she is Sauraman’s worker.” He says disgustingly. Charlotte drives her knee up right into his groin area. He releases his grip on her and tumbles to the ground. “Like I said before I am no spy. Don’t you dare touch me again.” She backs away from him.

“I think it is time to hear Charlotte’s side of the story out.” Says Gandalf giving her a slight smile. Charlotte sits down on a rather large stone. “My name is Charlotte Knightly, I am twenty-two years old and a huge J.R.R. Tolkien fan. I am not from around here. Middle-Earth does not even exist in my world. I wish it did but sadly it does not. Anyways, Tolkien wrote a series of books called the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Right now I am living it. I know if Frodo gets the ring into the fiery pits of Mordor, who dies, who we will meet along the way and every path we take. I do not know why I am here but I do know that I want to stay with you until the very end.” she looks directly at Frodo. “You knew.” He says.

Charlotte nods. “I did. That’s why I knew I had to intervene.Besides the Morgul Blade wasn’t that bad.” And just as she said it her side started to burn in pain. She grips it. “Okay that is probably an understatement. But please, you do not have to trust me, just don’t treat me as though all I am is liar.” She says. Gandalf steps up to her. “I knew you were something special, dear. I am glad to say that I am happy you came along.” Says Gandalf then turns to the others gesturing towards a high mountain pass. “We must take the pass of Caradhras!”

Pippin comes up to Charlotte as they began their walk once again. “Does Frodo make it by chance in Lord of the Rings?” he asks. Charlotte laughs. “Pippin, I will not say. It could change the outcome.” She says. Pippin looks down. “Do we even make it?” he asks in a low voice. Charlotte stops walking. “Pippin..” she kneels down in front of him. “What does your heart tell you?” she asks. Pippin thinks about it. “No.” Charlotte raises up an eyebrow. “Yes?” Charlotte smiles. “If you believe that then we will all make it. Don’t give up hope.” She stands up and turns back to the group. Legolas looks away. Charlotte frowns
The Fellowship are clambering through rock and snow. Charlotte shudders as the cool air surrounds her. Why did she not bring a cloak? Frodo suddenly slips on some shale, as he scrambles to his feet the ring falls on the ground. Aragorn helps Frodo up. Charlotte watches as Boromir picks up the ring by the chain, dangling it in front of his face. Aragron approaches Boromir warily. Boromir is transifxed on the ring. “Boromir?” Aragorn calls out.

“It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. such a little thing.” Says Boromir. The fellowship has now stopped watching the scene play out. “Boromir! give the ring to Frodo.” Aragron says quietly. Boromir snaps out of it, looks at the ring then hands it back to Frodo. “As you wish. I care not.” Says Boromir, he gives Frodo a smile then ruffles his hair. Aragorn unhands his sword. The fellowship trudges through the snow while Legolas walks above it, not even his footprints could be seen. Charlotte catches up to him. “How do you do that?” she asks him. Legolas looks at her. “Do what?” he asks. Charlotte points down at his feet which were above the snow. “I’m an elf. We do not walk in snow. Should you have not already known that?” Charlotte shakes her head. “I do know that but I mean how can you do it. How do elves do it?” she asks.

Legolas looks her over. “Hold on, alright?” Charlotte nods. Legolas lifts her up out of the snow and before she sinks back into it, He hooks his arms underneath hers keeping her from sinking back into the white cold snow. “I’m rather surprised you cannot walk on snow. You are light as a feather.” He says. Charlotte raises up an eyebrow. “Is that supposed to be a compliment?” she asks him. Legolas chuckles. “Alright now..”

A fell voice fills the air. Legolas suddenly pauses, and before Charlotte knew it she fell to the ground. “Holy shit, it’s cold.” She says. Aragorn helps her up. “What is it?” asks Aragorn. “There is a fell voice in the air.” Says Legolas walking forward. Thunder rumbles. “It’s saruman.” Says Gandalf. Rock and shale fall from above. Legolas pushes Charlotte and Aragorn over back up against the mountain as the rock and shale fall. “He's trying to bring down the mountain. Gandalf! We must turn back!” Aragorn says urgently. “No!” says Gandalf raising up his staff and he begans to chant into the wind. “Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho I ruith.”

Charlotte wraps her arms around herself. “It’s getting colder.” She says. Legolas looks at her before taking his cloak off and wrapping it around her shoulders. “No, you’ll freeze..” Legolas shakes his head. “Keep it.” He walks to the edge of the mountain peers up into the sky. A lightning crack explodes on the mountainside above them. Frodo looks up in horror as an enormous snow avalanche thunders down towards them. They all throw themselves against the cliff face as snow crashes onto the narrow legde. Legolas pulls Gandalf and Charlotte to safety, Aragorn shields Frodo and Sam as snow piles up around them. Within moments, the pass is blocked and the fellowship are enveloped in snow. Legolas pulls Gandalf and Charlotte out of the snow. Charlotte frantically digs for Merry and Pippin, as Aragorn pulls Frodo and Sam out of the snow who were shivering. Legolas helps Gimli out, and Boromir helps Charlotte look for Merry and Pippin. She finally pulls Merry out and Boromir pulls Pippin out of the snow.

“We must get off the mountain! Make for the gap of Rohan and take the West road to my city.” Says Boromir. Charlotte shakes her head. “The gap of rohan takes us to close to Isengard.” She and Aragorn say in unison. “We cannot pass over the mountain. Let us go under it. Let us go through the mines of Moria.” Says Gimli. Gandalf looks at all of them a concerned look on his face. “Let the ringbearer decide.” He says. Everyone looks at Frodo, who looks at Charlotte. She gives him a small nod. “We will go through the mines.” He says. Gandalf slowly nods. “So be it.” The fellowship began their trip down the mountain.
Sign up to rate and review this story