Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > A Knightly Tale of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Mines of Moria

by SixxLuver94 0 reviews

The fellowship have an encounter with watcher of Moria, and find out that what everyone calls a mine is really a tomb.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Aragorn,Boromir,Frodo,Gandalf,Legolas - Published: 2011-04-13 - Updated: 2011-04-13 - 619 words

0Unrated
The Fellowship are walking along the far shore of the dark lake directly below great looming cliffs. They all look up at the great wall surrounded by two trees. “The walls of Moria!” gasps Gimli. The footing is treacherous on the narrow strip of greasy stones. Gandalf touches the smooth rock wall between the trees. Charlotte looks up into the sky as the moon slowly comes out from behind a cloud shining onto the wall. Faint lines appear like slender veins of luminous silver running through the stone. The lines grow broader and clearer, forming a glowing arch of interlacing ancient letters and symbols.

“Itidin. It mirrors only starlight and moonlight,” Says Gandalf. “It reads, "The door of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter." Frodo looks up at it. “What do you suppose it means?” asks Merry. Gandalf looks at him then back at the wall. “It's quite simple. If you are a friend, speak the password and the doors will open.” He says raising up his arms. “Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!” The wind blows cold but nothing happens. Charlotte shivers. They decide to make camp until Gandalf could figure out the password. Charlotte watches Aragorn and Sam unsaddle Bill. “Mines are no place for a pony, even one so brave as Bill.” Charlotte looks over to where Gandalf and Frodo were. “I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.” Says Frodo. Gandalf looks at him. “So do all who lie to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Charlotte looks away as soon as she hears sounds of splashing. Merry and Pippin were tossing stones into the lake. Black Rippling rings slowly fan out. Pippin is about to throw another stone, but Charlotte stands up and grabs his arm. He looks at her. “Do not disturb the water.” She says quietly sharing a look with Aragorn and Boromir. They decided not to question her warning. Charlotte’s hand creeps down to her sword. Frodo stands up peering at the elvish inscription. “It’s a riddle.” Frodo says quietly causing Gandalf to raise an eyebrow at this. “Speak, friend, and enter. What's the Elvish for friend?” asks Frodo to anyone who was listening. “Mellon.” Answers Gandalf eagerly looking up at the wall. With that, the rock face divides in the middle and two great Doors swing outwards revealing a blackness deeper than the night. As the Fellowship enter the mines, something moves in the water.

“So, master elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the dwarves; roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone. This, my friend, is the home of my cousin, Balin and they call this a Mine... A mine!” snorts Gimli as they walk deeper into the mines. Gandalf mutters something and a glow from his staff lights the chamber. Skeleton’s of dwarfs are scattered about, clearly some old battle happened there. “This is no mine. It’s a tomb.” Says Boromir. Gimli shakes his head in horror. “Oh...no...no..no... !” Legolas pulls an arrow out of one of the skeleton’s. “Goblins.” He says in disgust.

Charlotte draws her sword along with Aragorn, Boromir, and the Hobbits. They back away to the entrance. “We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here.” Says Boromir. Charlotte turns around to face the Hobbits just as Frodo is suddenly pulled down the ground. A long sinuous Tentacle is wrapped around Frodo's ankle, dragging him towards the lake. “Aragorn!” Charlotte calls out. Frodo cries out. Aragorn and Boromir rush forward.
Sign up to rate and review this story