Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The (Not So) True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys (And Their Cool Friends)

Chapter 3: SING

by RebelDevil2019 0 reviews

Jess and Grace finally leave Battery City behind them with the Fabulous Killjoys.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Sci-fi - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-04-24 - Updated: 2011-04-24 - 952 words

1Exciting
I sat in the back of the Trans-Am, hardly daring to believe my luck. Here I was, about to drive out of the city’s limits for the first time in my life and into the desert I had always dreamed of. I watched as we sped along the highway leading into the outside world, full of radiation, sandstorms and god knows what else, and I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else. In fact I was finding it hard to keep the grin off my face as I tried to keep Grace seated securely on my lap. No longer scared stiff, Grace was enjoying the ride – we had never driven so fast before, thanks to the carefully monitored Speed Setters around the city. I could see her wide smile reflected back at me from the Trans-Am’s rear-view mirror and I wrapped my arms more securely around her waist, smiling into her shoulder.

Fun Ghoul was no help as he insisted on tickling her sides every five minutes, causing her to squirm around in her seat, which happened to be me. Jet Star didn’t bother to help, just watched on in amusement. Party Poison was smiling at us in the mirror, and leaned forward to turn up the radio, WKIL blasting from the speakers. It was one of my favourite bands from the airwaves, Mad Gear and the Missile Kid and we were all singing along with the words. All except Kobra Kid. I’m not gonna deny, he was brilliant with Grace (she’s almost as stubborn as me and that’s saying something), but as soon as the small issue had been cleared up, he had gone back to being moody and stressful. He was currently staring out the window, looking almost bored. Party Poison noticed and playfully jabbed him in the ribs. Kobra shoved back, annoyed, but when he settled back, I thought I saw a hint of a smirk shared between him and his fellow Killjoy.

“Here we go!” announced Jet Star suddenly. I looked up and my face split into a huge grin. There it was. The City Border. Right now, we were surrounded by suburban houses, with smart looking hedges and tidy front lawns. But beyond all that, the desert beckoned. I had never been so excited in all my life. Apparently, neither had Grace, for she stood up to lean through the sun roof to get a better look at her surroundings. Of course, now I couldn’t see. So, I didn’t really see the harm of standing up behind her to gaze as the desert approaching us. I leaned over, the top of her curly head just brushing my chin. I laughed into the wind and the dust, feeling more free than I ever had in my life. Poison only laughed and pressed his foot down harder onto the gas, throwing the car forward and me and Grace back into our seats. Kobra had been watching us with an amused expression on his face and smirked as we fell backwards. Grace just laughed and struggled to pull me up with her so we could both stand.

“Killjoys, are you ready to leave this shithole behind???” yelled a voice from the front as the gap between the city entrance and the Trans-Am grew shorter. I smiled everyone from the back seat shouted together “HELL YEAH!!” Poison grinned and slammed his foot down, clearly enjoying our elation. “Then make some fucking noise!” He yelled over the roar of the engine.

Grace threw her arms into the air and I grabbed them and held them with my own as we reached the border. Any minute now, closer and closer, towards freedom, so close now. I could already feel the sun beating down on me outside of the city’s Climate Control, the dust on my face and the sticky heat that came with the powerful sun. I took a deep breath . . .

YYEESS!!” We both yelled in triumph as the battered Trans-Am steamrollered into the desert and away from the prison we had been raised in for all our lives. I turned back one last time and yelled, “THIS IS ALL FOR YOU, FUCKERS! THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!” I slumped back down in my seat, grinning and suddenly tired as the guys howled with laughter at my parting words to Battery City. I felt Grace flop down into my lap and turned around so she could smile widely at me. I grinned back, thrilled, because I had never seen this kid smile so much in one day.
“We don’t ever have to go back, right Jess?” I smiled at the glee I saw in her eyes and hugged her tightly.

“Never, Gracie. Never,” I closed my eyes, content and finally at peace. Well, until Fun Ghoul ruined it.

“Well, that kinda depends on how annoying you girls are,” he smiled jokingly as Grace looked dramatically over offended and turned away towards Jet Star, who plucked her out of my lap and set her on his, for which I was extremely grateful, or else my legs would have dropped off due to pins and needles. I sighed and leaned back against the head rest, allowing my eyes to flicker shut. I was completely exhausted. This had been the longest day of my life, in good ways and bad ways. On the one hand, we now had Korse and his entire band of Draculoids scouring the desert for us, but on the other hand, we were with the Killjoys, we were free and Grace was safe and happy. I smiled again as I felt myself drifting into unconsciousness. Maybe a little sleep wouldn’t hurt . . .
Sign up to rate and review this story