Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Secrets of the heart

another close call, how many times does Frank have to scare them??

by adrenaline_bomb 2 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2011-04-29 - Updated: 2011-04-29 - 2619 words - Complete

1Moving
“What do you mean?” I asked, shaking with fear.
“We thought we’d lost him, when you brought him in, he was already dead. He was lucky though, he’s a fighter that boy, his body responded well to the shocks and adrenaline and his heartbeat regulated again. But, there is a chance that he will have bouts of amnesia, depression and possibly retreat back into the other health issues of his teenage years. He may also slip in and out of a comatose state. If he is okay for the next two weeks and his stats remain stable, he will be able to go home. ” She told us, looking solemn. What problems in his teenage years?
“What problems?” Bob asked, looking as confused as the rest of us.
“You don’t know? I suppose it is in his best interest if I tell you.” She paused, “He was sick a lot as a teenager and as a child, he was also extremely bulimic, had serious insomnia and depression with suicidal tendencies. His mental health after this hit is questionable.” She told us and my jaw dropped.
“He’s going to live though? Right?” Gerard asked, sounding panicked with thick layers of worry lacing his voice.
“Yes he is, whoever was looking after him before you managed to get here, did exactly the right thing.” She said and I breathed a sigh of relief, Frank was okay.
“Can we see him?” I croaked and she nodded.
“He’s been asking for a Mikey? Is that you?” She asked me and I nodded, getting out of the chair and following the woman (the guys following behind me) to the room in the intensive care unit where Frankie lay, his face pale still and stained with tears, wrapped up warm in blankets and a hospital gown as the IV penetrated his tattooed arm. He was staring at the ceiling, his face blank and vacant.
Taking a deep breath, I pushed open the door and Frankie’s gaze turned to me, a huge smile snaking across his fragile features and crinkling his eyes in the adorable way that I love.
“Mikey.” He breathed and I went straight to him, his lips pressing firmly and loving me against mine for just a second before we pulled away.
“Frankie, oh Frankie.” I cried, tears of joy streaming down my face as he sat up and hugged me tight to him. I was kind of hoping the guys didn’t see the kiss.
“You gave us a scare hon.” Ray said, hugging Frank as well.
“Group hug bitches!” Frank screamed, his voice still weak and scratchy as we all hug him tightly, even though he could only hug us with one arm because of the IV, he still hugged us tight. We pulled back and Frankie shuffled over, patting the space in the bed next to him so I got in, resting my head on Frank’s shoulder.
“You did so good Mikey, so good. You saved me.” Frank said, his smile audible in his voice and his joy radiating off him.
“I’m just so glad you’re alive.” I whispered, and he leant his head on my shoulder.
“Meh, it was close for a second there.” He laughed darkly but I didn’t… he nearly dies, and he still laughs? That is another one of the reasons why I love dear little Frankiekins.
“It was man. That’s two times in your life you’ve been dead.” Ray said and Frankie giggled, smirking devilishly.
“Yeah, how are you guys anyway?” Frank asked. So, he’s critically ill in hospital and he still thinks of others before himself? I may start making a list here.
“Well, you scared the living shit out of us Frankie, poor Mikes was hysterical, when they carted you off he was just like some sort of lost soul, wandering around with glazed over eyes and not taking any notice of the surrounding world. We’re just so happy that you’re okay.” Gerard said and Frankie smiled sheepishly. He took my hand under the blanket and laced our fingers together, making me smile straight back at him.
“You didn’t have to do what you did Mikey.” He said softly, eyes swimming with love.
“Frank! How can you say that!? You nearly fucking left me!” I nearly shouted and he shrunk back slightly, looking scared. “Sorry.” I whispered and he bit his lip, looking guilty but he snuggled down in the covers, resting his head on my chest.
“Never ever do that to me again Frankie, never leave me like that. I need you.” I whispered, stroking his hair softly.
“I need you too Mikes, I love you.” He whispered back.
“I love you too.” I told him, meaning it with all my heart, soul, mind and body.
“Yup, they’re together.” Bob said and I looked up, seeing my brother, Bob and Brian standing at the sides of the bed with smug looks on their faces and Ray’s expression tinged with slight apology even though he hasn’t told them anything.
“No.” I said sternly.
“It’s okay Mikes, they were going to find out anyway.” Frank mumbled, clearly sleepy.
“Okay, in that case, yes, we are.” I said, never taking my eyes of Frankie.
“Why didn’t you tell us?” Gerard asked.
“Gee, it was new to us too, last night. Last Goddamn night!” I said.
“Gee, you don’t have any idea how long I’ve loved your brother.” Frank murmured, looking up to meet his eyes, “So, so long.” He said, dropping his head back onto my chest and closing his eyes.
“This is so sweet.” Gerard said, beaming down at us with something similar to pride burning deep in his eyes.
“So you’re okay with it?” I asked and they nodded.
“Why wouldn’t we be?” Brian asked and it was my turn to shrug.
“Because we’re in the same band and Gerard and Franks little crush thing going on…” I left off.
“Nah, it’s cool.” Gerard said, still smiling.
“We’ve seen him work the magic with your bother every night on that stage, so looks like you’ve picked a good one their Mikes.” Ray said, laughing slightly.
“Yup, but when it comes to the PDA on stage, I am officially handing over the flaming torch to you , little one.” Gerard said.
“Gee, I’m two inches taller than you.” I pointed out.
“But still the youngest.” He countered, crossing his arms with his weight shifted more to his left foot.
“I don’t think that I could do that though, being so open about it, I just…no, you two carry the act thing on. Tolerance needs to be promoted, but I just can’t.” I said, shaking my head slightly.
“Are you sure? We could always stop it completely?” Gerard suggested and I shook my head once more.
“No, Gee. It’s a big part of our stage shows and a big part of My Chem is just accepting people for who and what they are, you have to carry it on, it’s fine.” I said and he nodded, though still looked slightly apprehensive. I looked down at Frankie who looked so peaceful just lying there, sleeping soundly, I stroked my hands through his hair and his chest heaved. I quickly took my hand away but his breathing became more rapid as he started to shudder violently, chest heaving and contracting in motions so rough I was sure his insides were shattering.
“Quick, call a doctor!” I said and Gerard rushed to the door as I leapt off the bed, we were all ushered out as machines were pulled into the room, ten or twenty doctors rushing around and shouting orders for drugs and machines I have never even heard of. They pulled the blind down so we couldn’t see and we all slumped in the hard plastic chairs that were lined up outside the room. I tried not to listen to the noises coming from the room, people shouting as we heard the electricity charge, a cry of “Clear!” as they took the pads down to his chest. We could hear his body slamming back down onto the hospital bed with every buzz of the pads.
“We’re losing him!”
“Heart rate below fifty!”
“Blood pressure dropping.”
“Clear!” People were barking orders and observations as it became obvious they were fighting for Frank’s life. Fighting for my life too, without him I’m sure I’d be nothing. He wouldn’t leave me like that though, would he? We’ve only been officially together for less than a day but we’ve been in love for years.
“He will be okay, won’t he Gee?” I whispered, hugging my knees to my chest and leaning my head on my brother’s shoulder.
“I hope so Mikey, but Frank’s a fighter, he wouldn’t let a sickness take him, I’m sure.” He said, his voice quiet and though he tried to sound like Frank would pull through, none of us knew.
“He’s had an after shock.” I whispered, I’d heard about them from somewhere before. When someone is resuscitated or brought back to life, the results can say they will pull through for definite, but in some cases there is an aftershock that no one sees coming. People react badly to things they’ve never reacted to at all before, penicillin or adrenaline for example, both of which Frank has been treated with. They can go into a coma, or die, only five per cent of people that suffer an aftershock pull through. I remembered, I was reading a book on medical mysteries because there was nothing else left to read. Oh God!
“What?” Ray asked and I let a few tears slip down my face.
“After shock affects people who have been brought back if they have reacted badly to something like adrenaline or penicillin and they can often go into a coma or even die. Only five per cent of people who suffer an aftershock survive.” I whispered, choking on my last words as I began to sob.
“Mikey, Mikey, Frank is going to be fine. You heard what the nurse said, he’s a fighter and he’ll pull through this.” Gerard assured even though he sounded like he was trying to reassure himself too.
“I don’t know Gerard. I don’t think he’s as strong as everybody thinks he is. We all have insecurities, some of us are just better at hiding them.” I whimpered, clutching onto my big brother.
“Frank is going to live. I’m sure of it.” Brian spoke up, voice burning with conviction.
“How the hell do you know?” I spat, not meaning to come across so aggressive.
“I know Frank.” He replied simply.
“No you don’t! None of us do, not really. We didn’t know about his bulimia, his depression or his insomnia or anything! I just can’t understand why he didn’t tell us!” I cried, upset that my best friend, band mate and boyfriend had been keeping his past from me. I grew up with him! How the hell did I not notice?
“Mikey, please calm down, you’re scaring me.” Gerard begged and I looked up at my elder sibling, his eyes full of fear and glimmers of hope like a small child left alone in the rain. I always should have been the older one, I thought bitterly.
“I’m sorry Gee… but, we grew up with him! Why didn’t we notice?” I asked, desperate for answers.
“Frank only got sent to the Catholic school for a year, and a lot can happen in a year. Just think back Mikey, did we ever really see him eat? And when he did what happened afterwards? He’d spend a long time in the bathroom. His depression he probably hid with his hyperactivity and many cans of red bull, finding a release in the bulimia and the self-harm, which I assume is what the nurse meant by suicidal tendencies. I guess he never told us because he didn’t want us to worry about him any more than we already did, what with him being sick all the time.” Gerard said, looking deep in thought as memories flicked through his brain like a photo album, different emotions and expressions flitting through his eyes, disappearing as quick as they came.
“What about his insomnia?” I asked.
“He was always just the hyper kid who never wanted to get to sleep. I think that the hyper thing was what he used as a mask, too hyper to sleep or concentrate or eat.” He explained and somehow, the jumble in my brain began to clear.
“Does he ever think of himself? Sounds to me like all he does is put everyone else first.” Bob wondered aloud.
“That’s my Frankie.” I giggled, my laugh and half hearted smile dropping as soon as the nurse walked out of the door.
“Mr Iero suffered what is most commonly known as an after shock. However, because he has experienced this before, his body knows exactly how to react and with the help of our doctors and medical team, he has pulled through. He’s resting now and he should be able to go home in a week. I mean home though, he will be able to leave but he will need constant care, and the stress of touring will affect his mind and body greatly. I’m afraid it will take four months, maybe more until he is able to tour again. So you and your band have two choices, leave now and get to your next date and finish the tour without him, or leave the tour to look after your friend. If he has no family- which I have checked and I know is not true- he will have to go into residential care for the next four months.” The nurse explained and I looked at the guys, helpless.
“He does have a family, us. His biological family refuse to even acknowledge his existence.” Ray said, his voice icy though filled with relief.
“I think I can speak on behalf of the band that we will cancel the tour to look after Frank.” Brian said.
“Yeah, we can’t play without him, my guitar sounds rubbish without his rhythm backing it up.” Ray said.
“Yup, who’s going to crash into my drum kit and nearly kill me multiple times a night if Frank isn’t there?” Bob backed up.
“Who the hell would we promote gay tolerance with? I can’t kiss my brother and Ray’s straight.” Gerard reasoned and I nodded, smiling thankfully. I don’t think I could cope on tour myself if Frankie was being taken care of by complete strangers.
“Okay, I suppose all of you are going to stay here for the next week?” She sighed and I nodded.
“You guys can go if you want, but I’m staying.” I said.
“No way! We’re staying too.” Bob said and I smiled at my friends, giving my brothers hand a squeeze as he slipped it into my own, the way we always used to do when we were kids and we were worried.
“Okay, we’ll set up the family room with the beds.” She said chirpily, giving us a fake smile and walking away, her cheap black patent shoes squeaking on the unnaturally clean white floor.





Please R&R and then I will update more!!
xxx
jackie
Sign up to rate and review this story