Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Business Affair

Business Affair

by KimmaLoveLaugh 5 reviews

Frank and Gerard met two years ago when Frank first got hired. Now after they both got promoted and Gerard is now Frank's boss can their relationship last?

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Published: 2011-05-01 - Updated: 2011-05-02 - 3618 words - Complete

4Ambiance
Working in the same office as your boyfriend has it's ups and it's downs. When Gerard and Frank first met, Frank freshly hired as a paid intern and Gerard a low level editor, it was love at first sight. Literally. Frank walked into the office, tattoos covered by dark cotton and vacant holes on his face where metal used to pierce, and saw Gerard, dressed in dark blue slacks and a pressed white shirt, he stopped, his heart pounding. He wasn't quite sure how so much beauty could be packaged into one person; it didn't seem fair. So Frank, being the forward person that he was and still is, immediately began to flirt with the beautiful man. Finding out that Gerard was single and gay was the best thing he had heard in his entire life. Well except for when Gerard said yes to going out with him or when Gerard first said I love you.

Yes life in the small publishing firm in New York City was good for Frank and Gerard. Over the past two years Gerard had been promoted to a more management position and Frank got the newly vacant low level editor position. Their relationship honestly had nothing to do with Frank's promotion. He was a damn good editor, one of the best maybe, but he was young and he needed to work his way up. Gerard didn't need people to think that he had given Frank a better job just because they were fucking, Frank needed to earn it.

During the two years Frank and Gerard moved relatively slow. They wanted the relationship to mean something. They wanted it to last. It took them seven months to have sex and even after two years they still weren't living with each other. They both had had relationships that ended badly, nothing more tragic than a heartbreak, though. And to Gerard, Frank was young. He was fresh out of school when they first started to date, he didn't need to get corrupted by a nearly thirty year old man. So the couple took things slow. The first date was horribly cliché, awkward hand touches, unexpected glances from the dinner table at the somewhat fancy restaurant, and Gerard chivalrously opening doors for a blushing Frank. The date ended with a sweet kiss to Frank's cheek in the hallway of his small one bedroom apartment.

Things gradually escalated from there. There were less awkward moments during the dates, more kissing, and lunch everyday together in Gerard's office, Frank always having a homemade salad, and Gerard always having a deli made sandwich. Their lunch hour was the only time that Frank and Gerard got to be together on the job; they tried to be as professional as possible and making out pressed against the glass of Gerard's office didn't really deem professional.

After two years of perfection, sans a few fights mostly about not being able to see each other enough, the couple were finally past the thought of the destruction of their relationship. In fact, Gerard was even planning on asking Frank to move in with him. He knew it was the perfect time; Frank's lease was up and he spent most of his time at Gerard's roomy two bedroom apartment anyway. Gerard saw no reason that Frank would say no, but also Gerard couldn't see how his employee's, who included Frank, where wanting a raise in benefits and would do everything in their power to get those benefits. You see, being a low level editor didn't come with many benefits and Frank and the rest of the low level editors had to spend a lot of money for doctors and prescriptions. Frank wasn't really in need of the benefits, having a pretty rich boyfriend who loved you dearly could have something to do with that, but he wasn't against standing for what was right. He had made friends with these editors, he was one of these editors, and they deserved it.

So tonight, Frank laid in bed at Gerard's apartment curled up next his lover remembering the events that had occurred at their office. The editors had made a meeting with management, which included Gerard, and told them their demands. Better medical and dental coverage. It wasn't unfair and the company had been doing well. They could afford it and there weren't that many editors that were on this insurance plan. The management diplomatically said that they would talk it over and have their answer at the end of the week. The tones in their voices made the editors hopeful and they all left happy. Frank was especially happy and he made Gerard aware of that, that night in bed.

Snuggling up close to his boyfriends bare chest, Frank smiled and inhales the scent of mens body wash and sex. It was a scent that he loved.

“So, Gee, now that I'll be getting better insurance maybe we could go get massages together.” Frank joked lightly, sure of events that would soon take place. With Gerard's high position in the company he got certain...benefits with his health insurance that did indeed include a massage package.

Gerard tensed, unbeknownst to Frank and held him a little tighter, “I don't know if that will happen, babe.” He let his hand run up and down Frank's bare back, feeling the vague bumps of his spine.

Frank furrowed his eyebrows together and looked up at Gerard, letting his chin rest lightly on the bare chest below him, “What do you mean?”

“Well it just might not happen. Not that it's definite, I just don't want you getting your hopes up.” Frank frowned as he listened to the words leaving his boyfriends lips, lips that he loved to kiss. He thought for a few moments before he stared back into Gerard's eyes.

“I won't give up without a fight.” Gerard knew this. He knew his small boyfriend fought for everything he believed in. Frank fought until he won, too. Like this one time, Gerard was getting into the stage of the relationship where things were getting too serious and he started to retreat. Frank sensed it and fought Gerard. Hard. He told him that he was being stupid and this was the best relationship he'd ever get. He told him that he needed Gerard and Gerard needed him. They fought for days and each day Frank would return to his small apartment with a hoarse voice and red, swollen eyes. Gerard finally saw that he was being stupid and he and Frank spent the entire three day Labor Day weekend naked in Gerard's apartment.

The next morning after Frank's declaration of his will to fight til the end, found both men tucked away at their desks working. Gerard had already had a meeting that morning with the management to converse about the employee's demands. The meetings were brief and mostly ending in the same decision. By the end of the week, when the management had their final decisions, the editors were restless. They all felt like they had a huge chance and were already plotting a celebratory drink at the local bar after work.

When Gerard and the rest of the management walked onto the floor where low level editors worked, Frank already knew the news was bad. The look on Gerard's said it all. The owner of the company, Mr. Strasson, stepped forward and asked for the attention of the room, although every eye were already on them.

“After careful consideration and deliberation we've come to the decision that we have to reject your offer for more benefits. As of now there is not enough money in the budget for the raise in benefits.” Frank knew this was a lie by the way that Gerard's eyes dropped to the left and he bit the inside of his lip. “We will recheck the budget in another six months when your insurance plans are up. Thank you for your understanding.” Mr. Strasson left immediately after his speech with a fake smile and was soon followed by his team. Gerard's eyes locked with Frank's for a brief moment in an apology before he followed the parade of suits.

Frank's floor and colleagues were in an uproar. They were almost positive they were going to get the benefits. It really wasn't that much to ask for. Frank sat quietly at his desk thinking for a plan of action. Something needed to be done. After a few minutes of zoning out of the heated conversation that was going on around him he got an idea. After getting the attention of his colleagues he told them they needed to meet outside of work. They decided that instead of heading to the bar for a celebratory drink, they would meet at the bar to plan against the management.

That evening after work, Frank told Gerard that he was going out with friends and no Gerard was not invited. It wasn't so much that Frank was mad at Gerard, he was mad in general and Gerard just happened to be part of general. At the bar Frank treated everyone to drink, he felt somewhat guilty. Everyone knew of his relationship with Gerard and in a way he felt like he was responsible for not pushing Gerard further. None of his colleagues felt this way though.

“So I have a plan.” Frank announced after the drinks were delivered. “I say we do a slowdown.” Everyone looked his him strangely and Beth spoke up.

“How do we do that?” She asked what was on everyone's minds.

“Well we simply work slower. We have the shit jobs in the office. We're on the low rank and nobody else wants to do our jobs.” That was true and luckily for them there were no interns that could take over at the moment and firing all of the editors would cost more than just giving them the benefits. To Frank and the rest of the editors it seemed like a perfect solution.

On Monday the team of editors would slow down. They wouldn't work as fast and efficiently as possible. They wouldn't put their best work in. They wouldn't do anything to violate their contracts or anything, like taking extra long breaks or taking personal calls, they would just simply slow down.

For the first few weeks of the slowdown the management didn't seem to realize. Frank and Gerard went back to normal and everyone was happy. Well not everyone. The editors were still pissed that they weren't getting the benefits but this would surely do the trick.

After two months had gone by, Frank and the rest of the editors started to feel like their plan wasn't going to work. Frank especially was disheartened by the whole thing. He was sure that the slowdown would work without all losing their jobs. Finally, though, on a particularly stormy Wednesday in April, a week after Gerard's twenty eighth birthday, Gerard came onto the floor where Frank and the rest of the editors worked and called for a meeting.

The group sat in the conference room, where Gerard placed charts on the table for all of the employees to see. “I brought you all in here because we have seen a serious lack of efficiency in the last two months.” He points to one chart. “This chart is from January and the production has been equivalent to previous months.” He then points to a second chart. “This is from last month and there is much less production than from January and February.” He takes a deep breath, looking around the room, letting his eyes linger on Franks. “Now this may be a coincidence but production seems to slow down right after your health insurance demands were rejected. Is there any correlation between the two?”

Nobody in the room moves a muscle, not that Gerard thought that they would. He sighs and leans back in his chair looking around at his colleagues, friends, and boyfriend. “Listen, I know it sucks that we couldn't do anything about insurance but there was no room in the budget.” Frank snorts at this comment and Gerard looks at him incredulously before he continues. “We'll try again next cycle but for now you can't keep slowing down.” Again nobody says anything all staring at Gerard like he's the devil.

Gerard sighs again, “If nobody can agree to try and work at their original speed I'm going to have to take disciplinary action.” Frank snorts again, arms crossed tightly across his chest, his knee bouncing with anticipation and anger. “Mr. Iero, do you have a problem?” Gerard asks Frank, squinting his eyes.

“Actually, Mr. Way, I do. We have done nothing wrong. Production must be slow because of the weather. You know April is the rainiest month. Maybe next month will be better. You know what they say 'April showers bring May flowers'. I'm sure production would be right up to par. But you know what I'm certain would make production up to par?” He glares at Gerard as he sits up in his seat.

“And what's that, Iero?” Gerard asks harshly, his anger starting to take over.

“Better health insurance.” He retorts just as harshly glaring at Gerard still.

“Well, Mr. Iero, I can assure you that this is not the way to get your way and if I don't see improvement within the next week disciplinary action will be taken. Do I make myself clear?”

“Oh, yeah? What 'disciplinary action' will you take, Mr. Way?” Frank uncrosses his arms and sets them on the table rolling his chair closer to it.

“The employee that does not follow my instruction will get fired.” Gerard says defiantly. The tension is so tight in the room and all of Frank's colleagues are watching him for a response.

“And if I refuse?” He asks after a minute or so of silence.

“Then you're fired.” Gerard stares straight into Frank's eyes as he says the words. Frank swallows, feeling his heart slowly start to break. His boyfriend, the person he loves with all of his hear just fired him.

“I'm what?” He asks softly, his face going pale and his hands beginning to tremble.

“You're fired. Pack up your desk; you will get paid for the rest of the week but that's it.” Gerard says harshly. Frank has never seen his boyfriend act so mean to him. After a moment or so of sitting in shock, Frank stands up without a word. He looks around the room and his friends and sends them all an apologetic look, which he gets in return, and makes his way out of the conference room to his desk.

He packs up all of his personal things into a box that sat under his desk since he first got the job. Once the box is full and all the is left on his desk is a small picture of him and Gerard from their first Christmas together, Gerard had his arm wrapped tightly around Frank and had pressed a wet sloppy kiss to Frank's cheek just as the picture was being snapped. Needless to say, Frank's smile was huge. Gerard's mom had made them both wear a Santa hat that clashed with Gerard's reindeer sweater that his great aunt knit him. Frank took the 4X6 picture into his hand and took a deep breath before shoving it into the box. He didn't know where they were going to go from here.

Walking out of the office for the last time that day Frank held back his tears and made his way to his apartment that he would now be definitely living in. The option of moving in with Gerard was now out the window along with his job. When Frank reached his apartment he felt like the the walls were closing in on him. Two hours ago he had everything he wanted. He had his dream job, yeah it was the bottom level but everybody needed to start somewhere and Frank happened to love it. He had the worlds greatest boyfriend. Up until two hours ago, he was sweet and caring and loving and everything Frank has ever wanted in a lover. He was moving out of this shitty, small apartment and moving into a beautiful one with the man of his dreams. But now all of that was gone and he was going to be jobless, which would mean going back to Jersey and living with his mother. There was no way he could use his previous job as a reference and you needed a reference to get a job. So Frank tossed the box of his things onto his cracking kitchen counter, grabbed a beer from the fridge, undid his tie, and sat down on the couch, lighting a cigarette. He may as well enjoy the freedom now. Once he was back home it was back to smoking and drinking outside when his mother was at work or asleep. Just like a fucking teenager.

A few days flew past and then a few weeks. Those weeks only found Frank on his couch, now wearing sweatpants and an old tee, beer bottles scattered along the coffee table and cigarette butts woven between them. He had gotten twenty seven missed calls from Gerard, and twelve text messages. Not that Frank knew because his phone had been on silent since the first drunken night when the phone would not stop singing to him. And that was all in the first few days. Frank hasn't even turned on his phone since the first full week of being unemployed. Fran didn't feel the need to call Gerard. He was in the wrong. You don't fire your boyfriend. That's like in the rulebook.

Gerard was no better. At work he moped around, snapping at people and eating salads to remind himself of Frank. He called his (ex?) boyfriend's cellphone every morning, lunch hour, evening, and a few drunk dials past midnight.

Today when he got to work and saw that the new employee had taken his boyfriend's old desk, he cracked. He told his boss that he needed a personal day and he left the office without getting an answer. He walked the familiar route to Frank's apartment building and made his way up the stairs, two steps at a time.

Once arriving at the door he knocks hard over and over again. Not stopping until he hears movement coming from the apartment. He swallows when he hears Frank's soft, tired voice asking who he was.

“It's me, Frankie. Let me in. Please.” Gerard asks softly, fingering the key ring in his pocket that holds the key to his boyfriend's place. Frank and him had exchanged keys around their one year anniversary.

After a painful minute of silence he hears Frank's broken voice, “Gerard, just leave.” Gerard leans his forehead against the door and shakes his head.

“I'm not going to do that, baby. Please. I want...I need to talk to you. Please.” Gerard pleads with the strong door that's keeping his weak boyfriend away from him. Again Frank doesn't answer but he can hear Frank's quiet sobs coming from the floor of the apartment. Gerard's heart breaks when he hears the pain of his boyfriend coming through crack under the door. “Baby. Open the door. Come on. We can get through this.” His voice cracks as he continues his plea.

Much to Gerard's luck or Frank's misfortune, a man came up the stairs and to the door with a hand-truck. “Um, is this Frank Iero's apartment?” the man asks keeping his distance from the seemingly crazy man pleading with a door.

“Yes, who are you?” Gerard asks looking at the man confused.

“I'm with the moving company.” He speaks hesitantly. Gerard swallows stepping away from the door. Frank, hearing what's going on outside of his small apartment, opens the door and steps back from the doorway.

“The boxes that needs to go are in the living room and the bedroom.” He speaks softly, not looking up at Gerard. The man nods and wheels his hand-truck into the apartment, starting to pile boxes onto the truck.

“You're moving?” Gerard asks and finally gets a good look at Frank. His eyes have dark bags underneath them, his skin is pale and he looks thinner. Not that Frank wasn't skinny before but now... he couldn't even finish the thought.

“Uh, yeah. I, um, can't afford to live here anymore. I'm going back to Jersey. Moving, uh, back in with my mom.” Frank mumbles

“Frankie, no.” Gerard steps forward and takes Frank's hand, that was still on the door handle. “No, baby, you can come move in with me.” Frank pulls his hand away from Gerard's and shakes his head.

“No, Gerard. I can't. It's been a month since you fired me and this is the first time you've come here. Please, just go. You've had weeks to try and fix us but now it's too late.” And with that Frank stepped back into his apartment to help the mover with the rest of his things that were going on a truck and heading back to Jersey. Just like he was.

Gerard watched from the hallway as the love of his life, packed his final things and carried them out of the apartment. Then he watched as the man he wanted to spend eternity with got into a taxi that would take him out of Manhattan and back to Jersey. He watched as his normally strong-willed lover left their relationship without a fight. Sadly, Gerard didn't fight either. He just watched as the yellow taxi took away his life, leaving him standing on the sidewalk.
Sign up to rate and review this story