Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Or Would it Be Forever

A Hero of War

by KimmaLoveLaugh 2 reviews

At the young age of 23, Gerard Way had found that is biggest fears were coming true. The draft had come back to America and it was taking the fine young gentlemen of the nation. There had been rumo...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way - Published: 2011-05-11 - Updated: 2011-05-25 - 1877 words - Complete

2Original
At the young age of 23, Gerard Way had found that is biggest fears were coming true. The draft had come back to America and it was taking the fine young gentlemen of the nation. There had been rumors in the papers about the draft returning but nobody took them seriously. It was just a scare tactic to get people to sign up willingly. Everybody in Jersey thought that the draft would never return to take the men of the next generation. That is until the draft card came in the mail addressed to Mr. Way.

Mr. Michael Way that is. Gerard had not received the draft card, much to his mothers somewhat relief. But his younger brother, who was only 19, had. His thin, scrawny younger brother was about to be sent overseas to fight a war that shouldn't have started in the first place. And ironically, that wasn't even the worse part. Yeah, the possibility of losing your brother in a stupid war was horrible. Tragic even. But what about the possibility of losing your lover and your brother in a stupid war. That's the predicament that Gerard was facing.

After he heard his mothers shrilled cry from the living room, Gerard had made his way up from the cave of a bedroom he lived in and saw his mother crying and his brother trying to hold her steady. When he saw the piece of paper clutched tightly in his mothers hands as she sobbed he knew that the papers were right. He joined in on the family hug, letting only a few tears fall from his eyes. He needed to be strong. He was the man of the house.

And Gerard was strong. He helped his mother to the couch and made her a cup of tea while she held her youngest son. Later that night he also made dinner for his family, watching as they all just pushed around their food, too upset to have an appetite. And he was strong when he helped his mother in bed and kissed her head, assuring her that everything would be alright. When he went back to his bedroom and saw that he had two missed calls and one text message from his boyfriend, who lived twenty minutes away from him, he began to worry. Not because of the missed calls, though, but because of the text message. It read: “Gee, I have something I need to tell u. Call me back ASAP.”

He knew something was wrong. He knew that this phone call would change everything for him. So he punched in the familiar numbers and waited as his phone connected to Franks. Once he heard the sad, raspy 'hello' of his boyfriend he knew that it was the same news that plagued the Way family that afternoon.

“You too?” He couldn't help but ask. Gerard felt his world falling to pieces around him and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

“Too?” Gerard could hear the confusion in his boyfriends voice. “You mean...you got drafted?” Frank spoke the words slowly and carefully. This couldn't be real. He didn't want his boyfriend in the same danger that he was about to face.

“Not me. Mikey.” Gerard spoke expressionlessly.

“Mikey?” Frank started. “Fucking Mikey?” He sighed. Gerard just nodded, which obviously couldn't be seen by his boyfriend.

“Gee, I don't wanna leave you.” He heard Frank's small voice through the phone. How could Gerard be strong when his boyfriend was hurting and was leaving and there was nothing he could do? How could Gerard be strong when the two smallest people he knew were going to fight in a war where they had to wear gear that probably weighed more then them and needed to be able to fight off enemies. It didn't seem fair. It didn't seem right.

“I know, baby.” Gerard whispered because, well, there was nothing else he could really say. Then he heard Frank sigh and shuffle around in his sheets. “So what happens now” Gerard just had to ask. With all of the commotion that happened in his house today, he didn't know what the next step was. Or when his two best friends were leaving.

“Well I have to go to the army base Wednesday and get a physical and if I pass I get shipped to boot camp Thursday and I train and they said in two months I'd be overseas.” Frank's voice trailed off toward the end. They both knew what overseas meant. It meant fighting and guns and bombs and terrorist and the possibility of death.

“So if you don't pass then you don't go?” Gerard asked, sounding hopeful. The kid did smoke about twenty packs a day. There was no way he could handle this.

“Gee, I think everyone passes unless you have like flat feet. Which I don't.” Gerard sighs at this because Frank is right. There is nothing to stop the inevitable, except...

“Wait! You're gay!” Gerard exclaimed, sitting up in bed.

“Yeah, what gave that away, Gerard? The fact that I like to take in the ass or that I like to suck you?” Frank responded sarcastically, obviously not understanding where his boyfriend was trying to get at.

“No! I mean I know that you like both those things but listen!” Gerard groaned, frustratedly. “They don't allow gay men in the army. It's like a law.”

Frank laughed at his boyfriend, softly and sadly, “Not anymore, Gee. They passed the law allowing gay men and women into the army now.”

Gerard sighed and and slumped back against the pillows on his bed. “Why the fuck would they do that?” He grumbled and let his eyes shut. He really didn't mean it. He was happy that gay men and women who wanted to fight were able to. He just didn't understand why nothing could save his boyfriend.

“It'll be okay, Gee. Me and Mikey will come back to you.” Frank spoke reassuringly into Gerard's ear after a few minutes of silence. And Gerard really wanted to believe him. He really wanted to believe that maybe the two most important people in his life were just going on a vacation and they'd come back with some amazing tan and they'd have their own inside jokes about the time they spent together. But Mikey and Frank weren't going on a vacation together. They were going to war. They were going to risk their lives for their country.

The days leading up to Wednesday were...different. Frank and Gerard felt the need to spend every waking minute together and they did, but there was this underlying issue that neither of them were mentioning and it was taking a toll on Gerard. He was dreading the news that Wednesday could bring and it was making their days together awkward and he did not want Frank being shipped off the boot camp with memories of his awkward boyfriend being exceptionally...awkward.

So Gerard did his best. Playing video games, reading comics, listening to music, going to the movies. Trying to make things as normal as possible, and trying to hold on to the last string of hope that Frank wouldn't be healthy enough to go to war. Which was weird for him. He never wanted to see Frank sick, which he was a lot, but this time he wished there was some curable illness that would come and keep his boyfriend safe in his arms.

Wednesday was a bittersweet day. Mikey, the lucky bastard, was not able to go into the war. His eyesight was bad enough that even with glasses it still wasn't perfect. Also, the acute asthma that he had, which really didn't stop him from doing anything, was a second reason he would not be well enough to fight. So he was rejected and sent home.

Frank on the other, who has struggled with sicknesses his whole life, was given the stamp of approval and was sent home to back his things and would be shipped off bright and early the next morning. Gerard, who once hearing the news about Mikey, assumed the same thing would happen with Frank, was ecstatic, waiting for Frank's phone call. The phone call, though, never came. Instead Frank showed up on the Way doorstep a sad smile on his face once he saw Mrs. Way.

Mrs. Way immediately let Frank in as she hugged him to her chest, rubbing his back. She gave a nod to Mikey, telling him to go get his brother, as she walked Frank to the couch, sitting him down.

Mikey, who was understandably upset, make his way slowly down the stairs to Gerard's basement room, not bothering to knock.

“Hey, Gee, Frankie's upstairs.” He spoke quietly, not wanting to have to be the one to tell his brother that his boyfriend of three years was leaving for Iraq. To fight. In a war.

Gerard looked up and smiled widely at his brother. “He is? Really? Great.” He stood up and made his was up the stairs and into the living room, completely ignoring his brothers somber look. When he saw his mother hugging Frank, he assumed immediately that it was good news. That his mothers tears were happy because Frank, who had become like another son to her, wasn't going to fight. He was going to stay in Belleville and go to college or start a band or just play video games every day with Gerard. But once Gerard saw the red face of his boyfriend he immediately knew that his mother was not shedding happy tears. That Frank was not staying in Belleville. He would be leaving. Tomorrow.

When Frank saw Gerard standing a few feet from the couch, he immediately stood up and walked over to his older boyfriend, wrapping his arms around the slightly pudgy waist and pressing his face into the familiar chest of the man that he loved. Gerard immediately wrapped his arms tight around Frank's small body. His eyes searched for his mother unsure what to do. His mother just let out a small sob and covered her mouth with her hand. Gerard didn't know what to do now. Frank was going to war alone. He didn't even have Mikey now. He was going alone and there was a possibility he was going to die.

Taking a deep breath, Gerard held Frank close to him and buried his nose in the dyed hair of his boyfriends. He inhaled the scent and closed his eyes, rocking them side to side. “It's going to be okay, baby. You're going to be okay. And I'll be right here when you get back. I'm not going anywhere.”

And in that moment that was all that needed to be said, because it was true. Gerard would be waiting for his boyfriends return. The question was, however, how long would he have to wait? Would it be a year? Two? Three? Or would it be forever. Gerard wasn't sure.
I got the idea for this story from this heartbreaking video that I watched. "Watch with tissues":http://nooneseverwhotheyremeanttobe.tumblr.com/post/5381470725/mychemicaljill-orange-night#notes
Now I don't know if it'll have the happy ending that these amazing soldiers have. But we'll see.
Comment Please :D
Sign up to rate and review this story