Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > In A Hail Of Bullets

All About The Doctor

by HippieSlacker_ 0 reviews

Taryn, gets to know her somewhat strange neighbor, Gerard.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Published: 2011-06-28 - Updated: 2011-06-29 - 1044 words

1Ambiance
Taryn hurriedly pushed the up button on the elevator as she glanced at her watch. Fifteen ’til nine. She was still good on time. The door finally opened and she quickly got in and pushed the 6 button. Luckily for her, there were no stops and she was able to ride right up to her floor. Karma must be on her side tonight. She power-walked to her apartment door and struggled to unlock it. After dropping her keys twice she finally got it open.

The clock on the kitchen counter read 8:50. She still had ten minutes to change before the new episode of Doctor Who came on. Yes, this was such an important matter that she left the restaurant she worked at 20 minutes early in order to be home in time. She turned the tv on to BBC America, only to find out her cable had been cut off.
“Shit!” She said to herself as she threw the remote on her couch. Karma must have changed her mind. She rummaged behind the t.v for the cable cord. Time to do what she did in college. Bum cable off her neighbor for the night. Not bothering to take off the black half-apron she wore to work every evening, she walked to her neighbors door, and knocked four times.

Gerard was startled by the knock on his door. Who would be here at nearly nine o’clock at night? He figured it was his little brother Mikey, here to check up on him as he often did.
“Just a minute” Gerard called as he kicked a beer bottle that was on the floor under the couch. Mikey didn’t exactly approve of his drinking habit.

Gerard opened his door to see a girl standing there. She was holding a tv cable, her hair was messily thrown up in a bun on her head, and was wearing an apron.
“Hi.” She said, “I’m Taryn, I live next door, and I was wondering if I could bum off your cable for just an hour or so. You see, my favorite show is about to come on, and I didn’t pay my cable bill and…yeah. Would you mind?” She said it all in one breath.

Gerard was taken back for a moment before mumbling a “Sure.”
He stepped aside so she could enter. “I’m Gerard, by the way” He said as she walked in.
The apartment was cluttered, but not messy. There were movies and comic books on the coffee table, along with sketch pads and various art supplies. Taryn noticed that Gerard had his tv turned onto BBC America.
“Wait.” She said “Are you going to watch Doctor Who?”
Gerard nodded.
“Would you mind if I just sort of, watched it with you? It’s kind of a pain in the ass to hook my cable up to yours anyway. I promise, I’m not as annoying as I seem right now.”

Gerard was conflicted. He didn’t normally let people into his apartment. Let alone girls. But, he didn’t want to come off as a complete asshole.
“Yeah, I don’t see why not.” He said
“Thank you!” Taryn exclaimed, “It’ll be like I’m not even here, I promise.”

“It’s eight fifty-nine.” Gerard said as he sat down on the couch. Tayrn sat down on the other end. Gerard, remembering his manners, said “Do you want anything? A drink?”
Taryn shook her head, and that was good enough for Gerard.

The two watched the tv program in silence. Taryn noticed she was still wearing her work clothes half way through the show and excused herself to change during a commercial break. While she was gone, Gerard got himself a beer, and figured he’d grab her one as well.
Taryn came running back in the apartment, wearing Sweatpants and an Iron Maiden t-shirt. “Is it back?”
Gerard shook his head as he handed her the beer. He took notice of the t-shirt she was wearing. Iron Maiden was one of his favorite bands. Maybe he could get along with this girl.
After a few awkward seconds of silence Taryn spoke up.
“So, you’re into art…”
Gerard swallowed a sip of beer and ran his fingers through his greasy black hair.
“Yeah, I mean, it’s probably my biggest passion.”
Taryn smiled. Passion. That wasn’t a word most guys used to describe a hobby. Then again, Gerard didn’t seem like most guys.
She took a drink of her beer “I suck a drawing.”
Gerard smirked “Well, art isn’t all about drawing. It’s about…emotion. Expressing yourself…”
He stopped mid-sentence as they both turned at the sound of the show returning and got silent again.

They didn’t talk much during the remainder of the show. Other exchanging theories on how the Doctor was going to save the day, they were both quiet. Taryn was intrigued by her strange, yet somehow charming next door neighbor. Gerard was confused as to why this girl was talking to him, and why she seemed to genuinely enjoy their conversation.

After the show ended, they both sat on the couch as an episode of “Top Gear” started. Neither one said anything for a moment. Gerard finished off his beer. After a few more seconds of silence, he went to the fridge to get another.
“You want one?” He asked.
“No,” She said “I had a long day and need to get to sleep.”
She stood up, “Thanks for letting me, you know, watch Doctor Who…”
Gerard walked over to the door with her.
“No problem” He said with a smile.
And with that she walked out. Gerard shut the door behind her. This evening had turned out differently then he had expected. He thought it would be like any other night. He’d drink, draw, and then pass out. But tonight, he fell asleep sober.

Taryn locked her apartment door behind her and walked straight to her bedroom. She threw herself on her bed and made sure her alarm clock was set. She hated that she had be up early to cover another waitresses shift in the morning and contemplated calling in. Before ever reaching a decision, she fell asleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story