Categories > Original > Romance > Dreaming of Revelry

Anticipation

by EmmaFollowill 0 reviews

Emma has always wanted to go to Nashville, her whole life. Will it be everything she hoped for?

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover,Humor,Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2011-06-30 - Updated: 2011-06-30 - 1505 words

0Unrated
Chapter One – Emma’s Point Of View

I groaned at the harsh beeping of my alarm clock. I rolled over sluggishly, cuddling up to the doona. I tried to block out the sound of the alarm and go back to sleep, but I didn’t last long. I dragged myself out of bed to turn it off. I tried hard not to trip over all the clothes and crap on my floor, and almost failed.

The glowing red numbers hurt my eyes as I reached over to hit the button. 5am, ugh. I definitely wasn’t a morning person, and looking out the window at the darkness, I wished I could just go back to sleep. As excited as I was for the concert, I had no energy to show it.
I sighed and walked out of my bedroom into the kitchen to get some breakfast.

It was a warm morning though, which was nice. I hated winter. Only a few more weeks till summer, I couldn’t wait. Also, only a few more weeks until my 19th birthday. There were so many things to be excited for. Finally, my life was starting to become more than just school and crap. I stretched my arms and decided to go find something for breakfast.

As usual, my dog came running up to me to say good morning as soon as I walked into the living room, wagging his tail like mad and jumping all over me.
’Hey, baby.’ I said quietly, even though the others were meant to be up by now. I couldn’t help but act like it was the middle of the night and I was sneaking around. It was just a habit I had, being up this early was unnatural for me.

I swung the doors to the pantry open, expecting to find nothing too spectacular as usual, but my eyes widened when I saw Fruit Loops on the bottom shelf. I smiled to myself and I knew that this was going to be the fuel for my excited freak outs all day.

Just as I began pouring the Fruit Loops into the bowl, Kirrah stumbled out of her room with extremely tired eyes and bed hair. She was just as much of a morning person as I was.

’Morning,’ I said, smiling. ‘You look tired.’
’Morning,’ she replied in a weary voice. ‘I am. I couldn’t sleep last night from excitement.’
’Me neither.’ I laughed, pouring the milk into my bowl and then getting a spoon.

Just as I sat down and turned on the TV to eat my cereal, Amelia came out of her room, looking perfect as always. She took a lot more care with her appearance than Kirrah and I. She was rarely seen without make-up, and today was no exception.

’Good morning,’ she smiled enthusiastically. ‘How are you two this morning?’
’Tired,’ we replied at the same time. We did that often, we really were too similar sometimes.
’I know how much you two hate mornings, but today is special remember?’ she said. ‘And I bought some Fruit Loops just for you, to help you get a bit more enthusiastic.’
’It was you!’ I exclaimed. ‘Thank you!’
’I can see they’re kicking in already.’ She laughed. ‘You’re welcome.’

We all had breakfast and got ready for the day.
I thought about putting on some make-up, just because it was such a special day, but I resisted. I never wore make-up, ever.
I didn’t like it, and even if I wanted to, I couldn’t apply it without looking like an idiot.
The other girls always wanted to put it on me, but I never let them.
I brushed through my belly-button length, blondish-brown hair after I’d finished straightening it, and looked in the mirror. I looked okay, considering the lack of sleep I’d had. My eyes were green with a little bit of brown around the edges today, but that could change within the next hour. I wished they’d just stay green, it suited me better. My eyes were crazy.

Making a face in the mirror, I made sure the straightener was off and unplugged before I left the room.

’Your hair looks so nice straightened.’ Kirrah commented as I walked over to the kitchen bench.
’Thanks,’ I smiled.
’You should wear some make up!’ exclaimed Amelia, ‘Please?’
’No way,’ I protested. I knew this would happen.
’Please, please, please?’ Kirrah pleaded.
’Guys, we’re going to be on a plane for ages, there’s no point.’
’But…’ Amelia started
I looked up at the clock; we were running late already, shit.
’Guys, we have to go, we don’t have time.’ I said, cutting her off and hoping they would give up.
’Oh, shit.’Amelia replied, looking at the clock herself ‘Okay, let’s go.’

I grabbed my keys and bag, and double checked that the door to our apartment was locked before we left. We all packed our bags into the boot and then piled into my treasured Holden Gemini.
I loved my car more than anything. Amelia and Kirrah didn’t really care about cars, something I could never understand.
As long as theirs worked, they weren’t fussed.

’Everyone got everything?’ I asked with a motherly tone in my voice.
’Yes.’ They replied in unison.
’Are you sure?’
’Yes.’ They replied again, this time sounding a little annoyed.
’Absolutely everything?’ I teased.
’YES!’
’Okay, okay.’ I laughed.

The car started with a beautiful chugging sound, and I put my ‘Only by the Night’ CD in and turned the volume almost all the way up.

’Jesus!’ Kirrah yelled above the amazing opening bass line of ‘Closer’. ‘Turn it down a bit, would you!?’
Amelia nodded in agreement with her hands over her ears.
I sighed before turning it down to a reasonable volume. Sometimes I didn’t know why I was so close to those two. They didn’t like cars, or loud music, which were pretty much my two favourite things.

I pulled out of the driveway and drove through the familiar streets a little bit faster than I should have been, but we were running late, and there was no way I was missing that plane.

Even though it was a one hour drive to the airport, time flew by, and before I knew it we were there, boarding the plane to Nashville. It was the first time I’d ever been out of Australia, and I was fairly nervous, for some reason.

I looked around the plane as I walked down the aisle to my seat. The interior walls and floors were a combination of cool blue and white, with three ugly beige seats on each side of the aisle. I reached my designated spot, and with Kirrah and Amelia right behind me, I shuffled between the seats and sat down next to the window.

I rested my bag on my lap and put on my seatbelt. We were due for take-off in only a few minutes, and I was so excited my cheeks hurt from smiling.
I’d never been overseas, and Nashville was the place I’d always wanted to go first. Ever since I’d gotten a job, this was what I’d been saving up for.

After a short while of driving slowly around, the plane moved onto the runway. I grinned in anticipation, excited for the slight adrenaline rush of the take-off. I loved flying. I hadn’t done it often, but the few times I had, I’d been fascinated.

I gripped the arm rest as we sped up, going so fast the trees were a blur. Then suddenly, I felt the plane tilt upwards and leave the ground, a feeling I loved so much, but I didn’t know why. It was a surreal feeling of freedom. Despite the confining walls of the plane, I felt so opposite to confined, so liberated.

I looked out the window at the clouds in awe for at least half an hour. They were so much more beautiful when you were in close proximity of them.
Eventually, I decided to try and get some rest before we arrived. It was about 18 hours flight, so I was going to need a bit of music to get me through.

I dug through my bag for my iPod and travel pillow; once I found them, I put my bag on the floor so it was out of the way.
I went through my artists on my iPod, but as usual, nothing interested me other than Kings of Leon. I decided just to play all of their albums on repeat, and go to sleep.

I pulled my knees up to my chest and lay slightly on my side, propping my travel pillow up on the wall and resting my head. I closed my eyes as I listened to the soothing opening guitar of ‘Milk’, and by the end of the song I had fallen asleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story