Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Go Ahead and Burn it Down.

Broken Lines

by XxLiveyourlifExX 1 review

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2011-07-07 - Updated: 2011-07-08 - 3081 words - Complete

0Unrated
Broken Lines

Chris was woken up the next morning by Pete’s phone ringing. Pete didn’t wake up to answer it, so Chris leaned over him to get it off the nightstand and answer it sleepily, “Hello?”

“Chris?”

“Yup,” she replied softly, so she wouldn’t wake Pete.

“It’s Patrick.”

“Hey, Trick,” she said smiling.

“Is Pete still asleep?”

“Uh huh.”

“Ok. Well we’re all hanging out at Joe and Andy’s house.”

“What’s today’s adventure?”

“Usually me and the guys spend the first couple of days after tour just hanging out
recovering from exhaustion. So probably that. Unless there’s something you wanted to do?”

“Nothing sounds great,” Chris replied. “I’m not gonna wake up Pete though. I know he doesn’t
sleep well on the bus. We’ll call when we’re on our way?”

“No rush. We’ll see you soon.”

“Bye, Trick.”

“Bye, Chris.”

Chris put the phone down and cuddled up next to Pete. She closed her eyes and drifted back asleep. About an hour or so later, she felt Pete shift beneath her. She opened her eyes and looked up at him. She smiled up at him and said, “Morning.”

“Hey,” he replied, tightening his arms around her, pulling her up to meet his kiss. “How did you sleep?”

“Excellent. You?”

He kissed her again. “I always sleep well when you’re around.”

She smiled at him, “Glad I could be of service.” He kissed her again and then got out of bed, going into the bathroom. She called after him, “Patrick called earlier.”

“Ya? Where are they hanging out today?”

Chris smiled. They had habits. It was adorable. “Joe and Andy’s.”

“Wanna go over there?” Pete asked, poking his head out of the bathroom, his toothbrush in hand.

“Ya,” she replied getting up and joining him in the bathroom to brush her own teeth. She squeezed toothpaste onto her brush, took a deep breath, and said, “But can we stop by my house first?”

Pete looked at her warily, his mouth full of toothpaste. He spit into the sink. “You want to go over there?”

“I don’t have any clothes, so I guess I’ll have to.” She stuck her toothbrush in her mouth and started to brush vigorously.

“If you want to go, I’ll take you,” Pete told her, kissing her temple. She gave him a tight smile and kept brushing. Pete went to go get dressed and then went to the living room to call Patrick.

“Hey man.”

“Hey Pete. You guys on your way over?”

“Actually, Chris wants to stop by her house.”

“Really?”

“Ya.”

“Do we need to be there?” Patrick asked, concerned.

“I don’t think so. Maybe she’ll do better without so many people around.”

“Ok. Let us know if there’s anything we can do.”

“Will do. I just wanted to let you know that if we get her in the house, we might be a
while.”

“Whatever needs to be done.”

“Well, we’ll talk to you later.” Pete hung up the phone and went back into his room. Chris
was dressed in her clothes from the night before sitting on his bed. When he walked in, she looked at him curiously. Pete explained, “I just called Patrick to let him know we were
stopping by your house.” She nodded. “You ready?”

She nodded and Pete held out his hand. She took it and they left the apartment. Again they pulled up in front of Chris’ house. Pete turned off the car and turned to Chris. “If you don’t want to go in, you can tell me what to get and I can do it.”

She shook her head. “No. I’ve got to go in.”

He smiled supportively. “Alright. Take your time. We don’t have to be anywhere else today.”

She gave him a small smile back and nodded. She sat there for a while, looking at the floor, then she changed her gaze to focus on the house. Well, at least that’s an improvement, Pete thought to himself. Then, without warning, she opened the door. Pete got out of the car expecting Chris to be leaning against the car or standing in her lawn. But she wasn’t. She was striding up to her front door, a determined look on her face. Pete hurried to catch up.
Chris only paused momentarily at the door before shaking her head and turning the doorknob. She walked into the house.

“Hello?” her mother called from the kitchen.

Chris didn’t answer, she just walked straight upstairs. Pete looked in the direction of the kitchen and then at Chris’ back as she went upstairs. He was torn. In the end he decided to wait for Mrs. Henry to come out to the foyer so he could explain. He’d go after Chris then.

“Peter?” Mrs. Henry asked, confused.

“Hey, Mrs. H. Chris and I just stopped by to get some clothes.”

“Oh. Is Chris in the car?”

“Um. No.” Pete’s eyes drifted towards the stairs.

“Oh.” She said surprised. “Should we go check on her, then?”

“Ya. Probably.” Pete led the way upstairs. He went to Chris’ room, but the door was closed.
He opened it and no one was there.

“Where is she?” Mrs. Henry asked, worriedly.

“I know,” Pete said. He turned and continued to walk down the hall. He reached the open door
and took deep breath to steel himself against what comes next. He turned the corner into
Matt’s room. Once through the door he stopped dead in his tracks. Upon first glance, it looked like Matt’s room hadn’t changed since the last time he had hung out there with Matt more than three years ago. The only change was that the bed was made and there wasn’t the usual layer of dirty clothes on the floor. The sight of it made Pete slump against the door, his head in his hands, crying. Mrs. Henry stood behind him and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. After a few minutes, Pete managed to pull himself together, telling himself that no matter what he was feeling, it was way worse for Chris. She needed him. He needed to be there for her. He loved her.

Pete straightened up and went to the girl collapsed in a heap on the floor in the middle of the room. He looked back at Mrs. Henry. She was standing at the door, tears streaming down her own face, not able to set foot in her dead son’s room. Pete smiled reassuringly at her to tell her that he would take care of Chris. Mrs. Henry nodded gratefully and walked away.
Pete sat on the floor next to Chris. He reached out to pull her towards him so he could hold her. She smacked away his hands and shouted a strangled sounding “No!”

As much as it hurt him, Pete sat back against Matt’s bed and did the only thing he could do. Sit there and wait. Chris sobbed quietly on the floor for what must have been an hour. Pete hadn’t moved either, he just sat there watching her, crying from time to time. He cried for Matt and for the girl on the floor in front of him and for the feeling of helplessness he was feeling at that moment, not being able to do anything about anything.

Chris looked up at him. Their eyes met. Pete saw something change in hers. She crawled toward him, pulling herself into his lap, sobbing, “I’m sorry.”

Pete’s arms went around her and crushed her to him. “There’s no reason to be sorry.”

Her sobs got louder now that she was in Pete’s arms. He stroked her hair and rocked her, trying to sooth her. She eventually calmed down, her sobs quieted and her breathing evened out. Pete realized that she had fallen asleep. Pete was careful not to wake her as he redistributed his own weight to be more comfortable. After a while, he, too, fell asleep.
Someone’s lips kissed his. Pete opened his eyes to see Chris. She whispered, “Hey.”

“Hey.” He pushed the hair out of her face. “How are you?”

Her head fell to his chest. “Sad.”

“Me too,” he said into her hair, his arms again tightening around her.

“I’m sorry.”

“Why?”

“I didn’t realize this would be so hard for me. Or for you. I half expected all of this stuff to be gone.” Pete could hear the tears in her voice again.

“It’s ok.” His hand went through her hair. She shook with silent sobs. “I know it’s
difficult, but you did it. You’re in the house, you’re in here. I’m so proud of you.” She nodded and he asked, “Do you want to get up now? Go to your room and change then go to Andy’s?” She shook her head no. “Ok. Do you want to change? I can go get something for you…”

Chris just stood up and went to Matt’s dresser. She opened up the third drawer and pulled out a pair of his sweatpants. She pulled off her skinny jeans and slipped into them. Then she walked over to his closet and reappeared wearing Matt’s old soccer sweatshirt that was about four sizes too big. Pete watched in awe as she walked passed him and pulled back the covers of her brother’s bed and crawled in. She pulled the covers around herself.

Pete stood. He didn’t know what to do. He wanted to lay down next to her and hold her, but he couldn’t really stomach the idea of being in his best friend’s bed with his little sister. She turned to look at him. “Peter?”

“Chris. I don’t know if-“ he stuttered “-if I can.” She nodded, but her eyes filled with tears again. Pete swallowed hard. “But I think I can sit…” He went over and propped himself up against the headboard next to her. She put her head in his lap. They sat that way, talking. About Matt, about stuff they did as kids.

It was eight thirty and Pete’s phone went off with a text. Chris asked lazily, “Who is it?”

“Pat. They’re going to 24 for food. They want to know if we wanted to go.” She sat up. “Do you want to go?”

“I could use some cherry pie.”

He smiled sadly at her. They got up. Chris went to the bathroom while Pete went to tell Mrs. Henry where they were going.

“Are you coming back here after?” Mrs. Henry asked Pete in the foyer.

Pete shrugged and Chris’ voice came, “I don’t know mom.”

Mrs. Henry’s eyes went to her daughter coming down the stairs dressed in her brother’s clothes. The tears started to fall again, “Oh, Christina.”

She went to her mother and let her envelop her in a hug. Chris pulled away and said in a shaky voice, “It’s too hard to be here.”

Her mother nodded. “Where will you go?”

Chris shrugged. Pete cut in, “She can stay with me.”

Mrs. Henry nodded again.

“I’m sorry mom,” Chris said, starting to cry again.

Mrs. Henry hugged her close. “Oh, no, baby. It’s ok. You do what you have to do. I’m just happy you’re close.”

“Chris, do you want me to get your stuff?” Pete asked. She nodded into her mother’s embrace. Pete went up to Chris’s room. Her stuff was still packed in her bags, sitting next to her door. Pete brought them downstairs and out to the car. When he came back in to say goodbye to Mrs. H., Chris wasn’t there.

“She ran upstairs to get something,” Mrs. Henry said to his questioning glance. Then she pulled him into a hug. “Thank you Pete. Thank you for taking care of her. Without you, I don’t think she ever would have come back.”

“No problem, Mrs. H. I promised Matt I would.”

She released him, smiling knowingly. “We both know it’s more than a promise to Matt.”

Pete looked shocked and stammered, “What?”

Mrs. Henry just shook her head. “Don’t worry about it. Just promise one thing.”

“Anything.”

“Be good to her, ok? She’s all I have left.” Her eyes filled with tears again.

“Of course. I wouldn’t do anything to hurt Chris.”

She smiled and wiped her eyes. Chris came down the stairs carrying Matt’s pillow. “Mom, can I have this?”

“Of course, baby,” Mrs. Henry replied.

Chris nodded then looked at Pete. “Ready to go?” He nodded. Chris hugged her mom, “Bye mom. I’ll see you soon. You and Papa and I can go get dinner when he gets back in town?”

“Sounds wonderful. We’ll see you soon, too, Peter?” She asked holding open her arms to him.

He hugged her again. “Whenever you want, Mrs. H.”

“Alright. You kids better get going before that Joe eats all the pie.” She forced a smile.

Chris and Pete walked to the car. When Pete started the car he looked over at Chris. She was turned in her seat, staring at the house. “You ok, Chris?”

“I don’t think I can ever come back here.”

He reached out to touch her. “It’ll be ok.”

She nodded and faced forward, but she was looking at the floor again. Quietly she said,
“Just go please. I can’t be here anymore.” He obliged her. When they turned off her street, he grabbed her hand. She squeezed and looked up at him. “Thanks for today, Peter.”

“I wouldn’t have been anywhere else.”

She smiled. The rest of the ride passed in relatively easy silence. They walked into 24 and straight back to the table where everyone was already sitting. Bunny waved as they walked through the restaurant.

“Hey there beautiful peop-“ Stacy said, standing to greet them. She stopped abruptly when she caught sight of Chris’ attire. In a shaking voice, she asked, “Is that?”

Chris looked down at her sweatshirt and then guiltily up at Stacy. “Stace, I’m sorry. I didn’t even think about it.”

“It’s fine. I-” She stopped talking, tears overtaking her voice. She pushed past Chris and Pete, running out of the diner.

Patrick stood. Chris said, tearfully, “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it Chris,” Patrick said. He came and hugged her, then said, “I have to go after her.”

Chris nodded. Patrick followed Stacy. Pete took Chris’ face in his hands, wiped her tears away and asked “Are you ok?”

She nodded again and let Pete guide her into the booth next to Joe. He had previously had his arm around Sara. He let go of Sara to pull Chris into a hug. “How ya doin’ killer?”

“I’m ok. Thanks, Joe.”

He whispered in her ear, “If it helps, I like your sweatshirt. I’m proud that you can wear it.”

She hugged him back and whispered her thanks again before pulling away. Bunny came bustling up to the table with drinks for Pete and Chris.

“Now I heard you two had a long day, so I’ve got Mickey making you pot pies and I won’t hear another word about it,” she stated, leaving no room for argument. “Is there anything else anyone wants?”

“No thank you,” they chorused.

Sara and Becca, in true Sara and Becca fashion, made conversation, and by the time Pete and Chris’ food got there (everyone else had already eaten), they were planning what they wanted to do on their vacation, starting with shopping tomorrow then going to Navy Pier. Stacy and Patrick returned after awhile. Stacy apologized and Chris told her not to worry about it. Stacy smiled, her eyes still red from crying. The girls invited Stacy out shopping and she accepted.

When Bunny brought pie, Patrick spoke up. “So I heard from the company earlier today.”

“What did they want?” Andy asked.

“They like our idea for Dance, Dance, and they want to start shooting next week.”

“That’s so exciting,” Chris said.

“How long are you guys gonna be around? We still want you in the video,” Patrick asked.

“I don’t have plans to go back to Austin yet,” Chris answered.

“I’m not going back until my assignments up in a couple of years, except to move my stuff to
my new apartment,” Becca said.

“And I get to do whatever the fuck I want, when I want,” Sara said with a grin.

“Awesome.” The boys got lost in conversation about the video while the girls interjected. At ten thirty they asked for their check which was mysteriously missing several items that they had ordered. They paid and said brief goodbyes in the parking lot, the girls making plans to meet at Pete’s apartment around noon the next day.

Chris was quiet on the drive to Pete’s. In the elevator, she was hugging Matt’s pillow while Pete carried her suitcase. Once in the apartment, she turned to him. “Is it ok if we just go to bed?”

“Absolutely, starshine,” he replied, wrapping his free arm around her and they walked into the bedroom. Chris went and brushed her teeth then got into bed, replacing her pillow with Matt’s. After Pete had changed and brushed his own teeth, he slid into bed next to her. “TV?”

She nodded and leaned into him. Pete flipped channels. When he settled on some late night
show, Chris spoke, “I miss Matty.”

Pete pulled her closer and buried his face in her hair and whispered, “Me too.”

A/N: Update update update! Just so you know, I'm coming to the end of the stuff I've planned out, so the updating might be a little slower. But I have lots of stuff I want to write in this story. (I have stuff written for wayyyy future chapters haha that's what I do when I'm stuck on something in the present) SOOOO anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter. Also, there might be some sexy time in the next chapter. (and by "might" I mean there is.) Ok. Enough of this ridiculous note. K night.
Sign up to rate and review this story