Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Things You Never Told Me

Chapter 6

by fueledbyPanic 2 reviews

A shock for everyone, especially Gerard

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2011-07-07 - Updated: 2011-07-08 - 2524 words

1Exciting
I'm feeling nice so you guys get a long chapter - in celebration of my birthday. Nah, I'm just kidding XD






"He doesn't remember any of it!"

Donna Way sighed and leaned back in her chair. Mikey had told her everything he'd found out about Gerard, including the fight he'd had with Parker. Gerard's condition was worse than they'd thought, and the way he had acted earlier this morning only increased their worries. 


~A few hours earlier~

Gerard came down for breakfast seemingly happy and cheerfully took his seat at he table. As they ate their pancakes, Mikey peered at his brother out of the corner of his eye, only to lose his appetite. Gerard's eyes had that weird look again, the same as last night, and his smile seemed a bit unnatural. Gerard noticed Mikey staring at him. 

"Is something wrong, Mikey?" he asked a little too brightly. 

Mikey didn't respond. 

"Oh, I know what it is. It's probably just the new house and stuff, isn't it? You'll get used to it soon enough." Gerard still had that cheesy grin plastered on his face. 

What the fuck? thought Mikey. 

Gerard, having finished his breakfast, cleared his plate off the table and lightly bounced up to his room. 

Donna gave Mikey a questioning look. Mikey then let everything spill out and felt as if a huge weight was being lifted off his shoulders. 

~

"So he doesn't remember anything at all about last night or beating this boy up at school?"

"Nothing! He remembers nothing!"

Donna looked down at the floor as she silently came up with a plan to figure out what was happening to her oldest son. 

~

"C'mon Gerard. We're just going out to take a look around the city like we planned last night." said an exasperated Mikey.

Gerard came down the stairs while pulling on a hoodie and nearly crashed into Mikey. 

"Sorry." he muttered. 

Mikey tensed as he chanced a quick glance at his brother, expecting those poisonous green eyes again, but relaxed after seeing that Gerard appeared to be his normal self at the moment. Mikey hoped that he would stay that way for at least the rest of the day. 

The boys and their mother got in the car and began their little adventure. They first took a look around the high school Gerard and Mikey would go to in a few weeks. Then they examined the stores in the main shopping center. The boys were pleased to see that there was a music shop that sold merchandise from some of their favorite bands and knew immediately that it was a place they would be visiting often. Gerard seemed to be enjoying himself, and Donna felt a small twinge of guilt at the thought of what she had planned for him. 

"Alright boys there's one more place I think we should visit before we head back home." 

"Where are we going?" asked Gerard. 

"I-uh, you'll see when we get there." Donna responded a bit hesitantly. She had a feeling that it was going to be rather difficult to get Gerard to go in and see the therapist she had scheduled an appointment with. 

Gerard frowned slightly as they arrived at a cold, grey building. He shivered slightly - he didn't like the look of this place. 

"Mom, where is this?"

"Honey, I'll explain when we get in there."

As they walked through the automatic doors, Gerard slowly took in his surroundings. There were a few comfortable looking couches along the walls with some small shelves full of old, boring magazines. Most of them appeared to be about gardening and furniture. Donna Way walked up to the lady behind the front desk and quietly exchanged a few words with her. Mikey took a seat at one of the couches and apprehensively watched his brother. Gerard looked rather uncomfortable and was fidgeting and nervously shuffling his feet. 

"Gerard Way?" The lady looked rather old and tired but had a kind smile. 

She gestured for Gerard to follow her. As Gerard nervously trailed behind the lady, he turned his head and shot a questioning look at his mother. Donna had taken a seat by Mikey and was avoiding Gerard's gaze. She knew Gerard wasn't going to be very happy with what she'd set him up for. 

The lady led Gerard through the door on the other side of the room and into a hallway lined with many other doors. Gerard was wondering what could possibly be going on and what might be behind the doors when the lady suddenly stopped short. 

"Here we are." She knocked a few times on the door they were now standing by. 

"Come in!" a man's voice responded. 

Gerard was ushered into a room he immediately disliked. A slightly pudgy man with glasses and a rather large nose sat behind a wooden desk and there was not much else in the room except for a chair on the other side of the desk facing the man. The walls and floor were a dreary grey color and there was a small window opposite the door with a view of the nearly empty parking lot outside. 

"Hello, Gerard. Have a seat." The man motioned toward the chair across from him. 

Gerard reluctantly did as he was told. 

"So, how are you doing today, Gerard?" the man asked cheerfully. 

The first thing that came out of Gerard's mouth was, "Who are you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't even introduced myself yet, have I?" the man chuckled. "I am Doctor Joseph Langford. You may just call me Joseph. Now, why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself?" Joseph Langford wanted to start out by learning a bit about the boy's personal life, see how things were going for the boy at home and school. 

Gerard was beginning to dislike this guy more and more, especially after he had called himself a doctor, but he decided that he should do whatever this "doctor" told him to do if he wanted to get out of this place as fast as possible. 

"Well, um... I'm a junior in high school, and I'm turning seventeen in April... I've got a younger brother, Mikey, and he's fourteen. Umm...I like listening to music, and I also like drawing..." Gerard felt rather uncomfortable describing himself to a stranger, especially when the stranger was a chubby balding man who called himself a doctor. 

"Hmm...interesting." Joseph nodded and studied Gerard as if he was some kind of insect he hadn't seen before. "Would you like to tell me what kind of music you like to listen to?"

This is none of your fucking business. Gerard thought to himself. 

"Well, I like Iron Maiden a lot, and the Misfits..."

"Mm, I see. And if I may ask, are you on good terms with your brother?"

"What?" Who the hell is this guy? What's he trying to get at?

"Do you two get along with each other, or do you fight a lot?"

"Oh no, we get along really well. He's like my best friend. We hardly ever get mad at each other."

"That's wonderful." Joseph smiled falsely. "You say you two are like best friends?"

Gerard nodded.

"Now, do you think could you explain that to me? How is he like your friend? Do you have any other friends? Maybe at school?"

Gerard was finding this man extremely nosy and his questions were rather irritating.  

"Why are you asking me all these annoying questions? What are you trying to do?"

"Gerard. I am trying to help you-"

"Help me with what? I don't need help with anything!"

"Gerard, all you need to do is answer my questions and you'll be out of here soon enough. Now, would you explain to me why your brother is like your best friend?"

"I haven't got any other friends, alright?!" Gerard burst out angrily. 

"And why do you think that is?" Joseph said quietly as he leaned the tiniest bit forward in his seat. 

Suddenly, Gerard leapt up out of his chair and stood glaring down at the man on the other side of the desk in fury. Joseph now understood what Donna Way had described to him over the phone earlier that day as he witnessed this sudden change in the boy himself. The boy's eyes had changed from its warm hazel-green color to a venomous shade, and his complexion seemed to darken as if a cloud had passed over the sun. The doctor decided he had seen enough. 

"Gerard, I think that's enough for today. Why don't you go wait in the hall a few minutes and I'll be right out with you."

Without a word Gerard stormed out of the room and slammed the door shut. 

Joseph Langford sat at his desk and went over what he had just seen. He thought about what Donna Way had told him, how the boy had had a fight and a complete breakdown and didn't remember either event. He remembered what she had told him about the boy being unusually happy this morning and becoming his normal self again later in the day. He then made his decision; what he had seen a few minutes ago confirmed the prediction he had made when he first heard from the boy's mother. Joseph Langford got up and went into the hallway. Gerard was nowhere in sight so he assumed the boy went back to the waiting room. Sure enough, when he exited the hallway he saw the boy sitting with his brother and mother. He appeared to have returned to his normal self once again. Donna Way looked up anxiously at the sound of the door opening. 

"Mrs Way, may I speak with you for a moment?"

The addressed got up quickly and scurried into the hallway as the doctor held the door open. As soon as they were out of earshot of the others the doctor began to speak. 

"Mrs Way, after analyzing what you told me earlier todayband what I saw a few minutes ago, I am extremely sorry to have to say this, but I am afraid your son Gerard may have Dissociative Identity Disorder."

Donna Way let out a small cry. She unfortunately knew exactly what the disorder was and was on the verge of tears. 

The doctor saw that she understood what the disorder was and wanting to comfort the distressed woman, continued to speak. "There are a few options though."

Donna Way looked up, her eyes red from crying. 

"We can prescribe some medications for your son to take that will keep things under control, if you like."

"Is that all? Are there any other ways you can treat it?" Donna asked, sniffling. 

"You can choose not to treat the symptoms with the medication, though I wouldn't recommend it. However, if his behavior without the medication becomes a problem and puts those around him in serious danger, I'm afraid he will have to be put into an asylum."

"Oh, dear. How-where can I get the prescription?"

"I would be more than happy to have Gerard come for weekly sessions. I can make notes of his behavior from what I see and what you report to me and if you like, we can get him the correct medication right here."

"Would you really do that? That would be wonderful. Thank you so much, Dr Langford."

"You are quite welcome. Now, would you like me to inform your son of his condition or would you rather do it yourself?"

"I-I think I can manage. And again, thank you so much."

"My pleasure."

Donna Way exited the hallway and returned to her sons, who were on the couch talking quietly. 

"Alright boys, let's go home now."

~

When they got back home, Gerard felt angry at his mother for what he had just gone through. 

"Mom, what was that all about? Why the hell did you make me talk to that guy? He was so annoying and he kept asking me weird questions!"

Donna didn't answer him directly. "Why don't I get you boys something to eat? We'll talk about this in the kitchen." Donna fixed up a couple of sandwiches and set them on the table. Neither of the boys took one. 

"Gerard, you do realize who that man was, right?"

"Some sorta doctor or something." Gerard grumbled. 

"Yes. Well, that doctor, he - I took you to see him because, well, you haven't really been acting like your usual self lately." Donna couldn't find another way to put it. 

"What do you mean?"

"You've been doing some things that are a bit, out of the ordinary, I guess. Gerard, that doctor..." Donna couldn't bring herself to say it without bursting into tears. She gulped. "He said you have Dissociative Identity Disorder." Her voice cracked. 

"The fuck is that?" exclaimed Gerard and Mikey simultaneously. 

Donna willed herself not to cry in front of her sons.

 "It means that you have multiple personalities, each quite different from the other. It's almost like you're several different people in one body, but the thing is, those different personalities are completely unaware of each other. That's why it can be so dangerous - you act like a completely different person for a period of time and afterwards you don't remember any of it."

Gerard looked like he was going to be sick. "You-this is all some sort of sick joke, isn't it?"

Suddenly Mikey, who had been silent for a while, spoke up. 

"Gee, do you remember last night when I came in to talk to you?"

"Yeah. You were asking me these random questions, kinda like that annoying doctor guy, now that I think about it."

Mikey nodded. "When I asked you what happened after school on Thursday, what did you say?"

"It was just like any other school day, right?"

"No. Gerard, that day after school, you had a fight with Parker. You beat him up pretty bad. Remember when you asked me about the bruise on my face? That's where it was from. And last night, when we were eating dinner, you totally flipped out. You almost knocked the whole table over and you nearly stabbed me with your fork."

"No... There's no way I beat up Parker. You're lying."

"You did. And this morning you were all overly happy, to the point where it was creepy. And later when we were leaving the house, you were normal again. All of this, you really did it. But you can't remember any of it because it was caused by that disorder thingy."

Gerard opened his mouth to protest but his mother cut him off. 

"Gerard, all of what Michael said is true. Everything you did that you don't remember was the result of the different personalities inside you coming out. The only way you can control them is by taking the medications that the doctors give you and if you decide not to do that, you could end up in an asylum."

Gerard, finally accepting that his mom and brother were telling him the truth, could only say,

"But why?"
Sign up to rate and review this story