Categories > TV > House > Unconditional

Default Chapter

by IvoryAlchemist 0 reviews

Love takes off masks we think we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.

Category: House - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Allison Cameron, Gregory House - Published: 2006-06-02 - Updated: 2006-06-03 - 720 words

0Unrated
She'll remember it afterward as a mistake. Too many drinks, too many leering glances and suggestive touches. Snaking his arm around her waist, pulling her backward toward his car. The red corvette. She had dreamed of this moment.

He compensated for his insecurity with pure expertise. He worked quickly and pleasurably, like he had her mapped out in his mind before he even undressed her, and effortlessly achieved his goal. The night was still young when she stumbled out of his backseat, pulling up her jeans, buttoning her blouse. She can vividly remember his cold, barking laugh from inside, bidding farewell.

And now, as she stands in front of her mirror, she knows it wasn't worth it. She doesn't believe in abortion, but she might now. Now that she has a tiny being growing inside of her, depending on her, needing her. This creature is a part of him, she thinks. It will love her like he couldn't. Maybe she would keep this baby.

When she tells him, he says he doesn't believe her, but the way he rushes to Wilson, panic making his eyes an even purer blue, she knows he does.

"Congratulations, House! You're a dad!" Is all she hears before he shouts and the door slams shut and she knows this man could never love her child.

Months pass and her stomach swells to show its inhabitants. House stares, apprehension etched in his features, at her bulge.

"Are you sure that I'm the..." He can't even say the words, and she can't help but be choked by the sadness that she will have to face this challenge alone.

"Yes." She replies, and she is telling the truth. There was no one else, there never will be.

When she has the baby, she is so shocked to find him there she forgets to thank him. He sits by her, twirling his cane, watching her scream and fail and sob. His head snaps up with the soft waaa waaa waaa coming from below the sheets and blankets, and gasps at the tiny, pinched face and spindly arms and bright pink skin. A tiny, teeny version of himself and she is opening its eyes to the new world.

"Here, daddy." The nurse pushes the little bundle of blankets on him, and he stares at the round, blue eyes and pink little lump of a nose and nearly drops his son when he opens his mouth and lets out a sharp, piercing cry, his mouth agape and tongue vibrating with the wail.

House's eyes burn as he sees Cameron openly expose white, swollen breast and the baby latches on, sucking sloppily.

"Ian." She says, and he knows she's speaking to him, "That's a nice name, right? Ian Cameron House?" He can only think of what a regular name that is. He shakes his head, and the name seems to appear in his mind.

"Samuel. Sam for short. Sam Cameron House." He suggests, and she starts to cry. It's not the first time, nor will it be the last.

"Sam sounds good. Will you be his father, though? Raise him like a son?" She chokes, and he looks away.

"I don't see that I have much a choice." And relief floods hers eyes. She cradles Sam closer to her breast, and he continues eating happily.

Later, Wilson walks in to find House cradling the infant in his arms, head twisted at an angle to watch him sleep. Sam has a tiny blue beanie and is bundled in pink blankets, shifting every so often in House's embrace. House has a look in his eyes Wilson has never seen, and he wonders just what kind of father this man will make.

Cameron returns with a baby bag and diapers, and gently lifts her baby from his grasp. Wilson goes unnoticed as he watches Cameron teach House with an everlasting patience how to change his son's diaper. He's repulsed at first, but comes around, and is soon being educated in how to rock him to sleep and feed him formula and swaddle him in blankets and Wilson realizes that for the second time in his life, House is in love.

TBC.

Should I continue? Suggestions for further plot point's welcome. How can House raise a baby? Should Cameron and House hook up? What to do!
Sign up to rate and review this story