Categories > TV > House > Unconditional

A Big Change

by IvoryAlchemist 0 reviews

Love takes off masks that we think we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.

Category: House - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Allison Cameron, Gregory House - Published: 2006-06-02 - Updated: 2006-06-03 - 2181 words

0Unrated
House wakes up, his head throbbing, a sharp, desperate cry piercing the night air. He sits up suddenly, and then looks over at the small bundle on the other side of his bed. He sighs, and hangs his head. The bottle is ready on his nightstand, and he snatches it up, grabbing a few Vicoden along with it.

"Sam, come on." He whispers, cradling the baby in his arms and offering him his meal. He accepts eagerly, stops crying and starts nursing noisily. House looks at the calendar. 3 more days until Cameron returned from her mandatory conference, and House had no idea why he volunteered to care for the boy.

He's your son, you idiot.

He shook his head. The idea seemed foreign to him, even now, 6 weeks later. He is a father, and will be for the rest of his life. The prospect is terrifying. Cameron had been hesitant to leave her baby with him for 5 days, but preferred him to Wilson. He asked her why; she said Sam needed to be with his Daddy more often. He didn't bring it up after that. She went nuts trying to coach him in caring for Sam, teaching him rules and giving him hints he never would have thought of on his own. He thought Sam lucky to have a mom like Cameron.

It takes a few minutes for him to realize Sam is asleep again, and he carefully maneuvers the infant over to his side of the bed, far enough away there's no risk he'll roll over him. House sighs, and lies back down. For the first time in 6 years, sleep comes easily.

8888888888

The next few days, House is in a sleep-deprived fog. Sam requires his almost constant attention, something House has never offered another before. He remembers Cameron's words:

Sam comes first. Always.

In his world, House had always come first, and it was a huge change.

First thing after he wakes up: feed Sam and change his diaper. Then use the bathroom. Dress and wash Sam, put him in his baby carrier and take a quick shower and get ready for work. Every move, every action, every decision, based on Sam and his needs. Always.

He gets to work, baby carrier in one hand, cane in the other, and is relieved to find his office empty. No Wilson, no teasing. He sets Sam on his desk (in his carrier) and sits heavily in his chair, popping a few Vicoden.

10 minutes later, Sam is whining and House realizes he probably needs to change his diaper. He sighs. Oh, joy. Just as he is putting on the new one, Wilson walks in and coughs noisily to alert House of his presence, startling Sam, who starts to cry. House growls in frustration, scooping up the baby and bouncing him gently.

"Shhh, easy, Sam. Come on, Sammy," He soothes, and Wilson can't help but laugh. Chase and Foreman stroll in and announce that they have a case.

15 minutes later, House finds himself awkwardly cradling Sam in his left arm while scribbling symptoms on the board with his right, constantly pacing to keep the baby assuaged. Suddenly, Sam is being lifted from his arms and he snaps around, ready to fight the intruder, and is face to face with none other than a joyous looking Allison Cameron.

"Aw, sweetie, did you miss me? I sure missed you!" She giggles at her young son. He whimpers and flails his arms. House could die with relief. "Looks like you're Daddy took good care of you." She glances up at House and gives him an approving smile, and he can't help but feel a swell of pride.

When he goes home after work today, he won't admit that he feels oddly alone and quiet. He was already used to the screaming, the worry, and the frantic affection. Mostly, however, he misses having his son with him all the time. His Sam.

The call comes at midnight, or a few minutes after. Cameron's voice is strained and tired, and as she explains her situation, he can't help but feel a spark of hope to be reunited with his boy.

"Dr. House, sorry to call so late...my apartment was flooding...you still have all his stuff...can we stay at your place? 15 minutes sounds great-thanks so much." His memory is fragmented, but the message is clear: Sam and Cameron were crashing at his place. He didn't know why that was such good news.

When she comes over, she looks as uncomfortable as he feels. She thanks him profusely, bouncing the baby softly, and he grunts a few times. He gives her a blanket and a pillow and motions toward his couch, and then sets up the cradle next to it. He makes her some chicken noodle soup, and almost drops the bowl when he turns around and gets an eyeful of breast. She's nursing him, and apparently assumes House won't mind that she lifted her shirt to shoulders in his house, on his couch.

My God, she's beautiful. God, so is Sam.

He stops and stares for a moment, watching this tiny piece of him, his baby son, nursing his mother, and feels a milky warmth spread through him, and welcomes it. It has been a long time since he felt that.

Sam. His Sam. His baby Sam. He hands Cameron her soup, and she gasps in surprise, shifting the baby to her other breast. He whines and wiggles, but relents.

"He likes my right boob better than my left, though I have no idea why. There mostly the same, I think." She takes the bowl and smiles a 'thanks', saying this entirely straight-faced. House snorts and laughs in surprise.

"They both look great to me." He says with his usual sexual sarcasm, and she rolls her eyes. He looks away quickly when he realizes the inappropriateness of the comment, and limps into the kitchen. "Well, you guys look all set. I think I'm going to call it a night." He nods to himself, and turns toward his bedroom. Cameron nods as well, but calls out to him.

"Wait, House," She stands up and walks over to him, and he stiffens nervously, unsure of what she may do next. She leans over, baby in her arms and offers him to House. "He wants to say goodnight." House sighs with relief, and picks up his son. He holds him for a moment, unsure what to do, then decides to nuzzle him softly on the forehead, and hands him back to Cameron.

"Night, Sammy." He seems satisfied, and looks at Cameron, giving her a nod as well. "Night, Cameron." She smiles and nods back.

"Sleep well, Dr. House." But he's already disappeared into the bedroom.

888888888

It's five in the morning when she wakes up, and gasps in horror. It's been over six hours since she has fed Sammy, and he usually wants to be nursed every four. She looks in the cradle, but he isn't there, and is overwhelmed by the flush of panic she feels.

"Sammy!" She cries, jumping to her feet. She freezes when she gets to the kitchen, stunned by what she finds. House is standing, Sammy in his arms, feeding him with a bottle, whispering soft, soothing words. She then realizes he must have been up and feeding him during the night, and she was so exhausted by so many sleepless nights she didn't notice.

"Oh, Cameron. I just heard him crying, figured I'd give you a night off." He looks embarrassed, as if he has been caught doing something he shouldn't. Cameron nods, and sits down on his counter top.

"Thank you." She mumbles, and he grunts in response. Sammy stops suckling, and she leans over and holds him against her chest. "I love you, Sam." She smiles at him, for no particular reason. House sucks in a breath, and feels suddenly out of place, even in his own kitchen. She looks up at him, and then down at Sam again. "We love you." She corrects gently, and he relaxes somewhat. Sam and his mom and then House, it was Sam and his parents. House likes the sound of that.

Sam is asleep again. She holds him for a while longer, and the three stand in peaceful silence. It's a rare thing with a newborn baby around. She eventually returns to the couch, and he to the bedroom.

88888888888

Morning comes, and House is glad for it. Nine o'clock sharp, and Sam starts screaming. He hears Cameron comforting and feeding him immediately, and can't help but be relieved to have her here to do all the hard stuff.

"Morning'." He grunts as he walks down the hall toward the bathroom. She smiles up at him, hair mussed and make-up smeared. She looks like she was thrown in front of a steamroller, but entirely cheery and welcoming the day. Sam is nursing gleefully, in all his pink and wrinkly glory, wearing nothing but a diaper. House nods, and pushes into the bathroom. His hair is also twisting in multiple directions, his face fuzzed and in need of a shave, in his boxers and thick white socks up to his shins.

He takes a long, hot shower, cleans up and gets dressed. When forced to cross the hall, he darts in his towel, but Cameron gets an eye-full. She laughs and waves, holding a sleeping Sammy. He blushes, and staggers away.

Once in the privacy of his bedroom, he dresses hastily. He isn't used to having someone living with him, especially a woman. He pauses before venturing outside, calling out to warn Cameron of his presence. He hears water running, and assumes she's in the shower. When he reaches the living room, Sam is whining in his cradle, and then lets out a wail of impatience. House scoops him up and the baby quiets down.

He makes a quick breakfast of potato chips and chocolate pudding. He is forced to lay Sammy down in order to eat, and he screams the minute he's out of House's arms. House stares, unsure how to deal with the situation. He looks up, waiting anxiously for Cameron to get out of the shower and take Sam.

"Sam, be quiet! Come on, I need to eat, you little brat." He whines, though there is no heat behind his words. "Wahhhh!" He roars suddenly, imitating his son's cry. The baby freezes and stares at the noise, shocked into silence.

"House! You terrified him!" Cameron appears out of nowhere, and House jumps. She holds him tenderly, dotting kisses all over his chubby face. House gobbles up his breakfast quickly, ignoring Cameron's disapproving glare at his choice of foods.

"You are never feeding my baby." She promises, and he grins smugly.

"So, when are you and the lizard moving out?" he asks, watching her as she struggles with the infant and her muffin. She glares at him for not offering to help, too proud to ask for it.

"As soon as I can." She growls, and he laughs, though he sees nothing funny in the situation.

8888888888888

House is shocked when Cameron announces she not going to work.

"House! Sam is 6 weeks old! Of course I'm not going to work. Maybe when he's 3 months, and can last the night, will I start working part-time." She explains, making it clear there no use arguing.

"So you are going to lounge around in my house, messing with all my stuff? No way! I need some privacy, there's no way you are nosing around when I'm gone." He thunders, angry he wasn't alerted to her real intentions before. He wouldn't have let her stay if he realized she planned on staying here all day.

"Fine! Sammy and I'll find a hotel. You ass, you're doing this to baby son!" She cries, grabbing her bag and collecting all Sam's necessities.

"No, you won't." he snarls, his voice low and dangerous. She spins around. "Don't you dare take my son away from me. You," He jabs his finger at her, "You get out, or come to work. Leave the baby." She stares in shocked silence. Finally, face red with rage, she pushes Sam into his arms.

"Then you raise him." She hisses, and before he can stop her, storms out his door with her things, leaving Sam's behind.

He feels something twist in his stomach, shaking his head. A part of him is disappointed, he realizes. A part of him that believed this would work out like some fairytale that the three of them would live happily ever after.

Just like that worked with Stacy.

He pounds his fist against his counter in frustration. He doesn't know how to care for a baby, and admits to himself he's terrified. How long will Cameron keep this up? He never thought she'd go this far.

He looked down at the tiny, pink face.

He could do this.

He could.

TBC.
What should happen next? Should House permanently be stuck with Sam, or should he reconcile with Cameron? Please review with more great ideas!q
Sign up to rate and review this story