Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Change of Fate

chapter 6

by razial 2 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Fleur,Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-07-19 - Updated: 2011-07-19 - 3082 words

4Original
A Change of Fate - Chapter 06


(12 Grimmauld Place)


Harry watched as the Order returned slightly worse for wear, but he was relieved to see all of them were still alive and even more so that the old man had not come with them. At the moment he did not want to see or deal with Dumbledore.

He nodded at Remus, as he went and sat at the kitchen table and Mrs. Weasley quickly began to make everyone a drink. He soon noticed that Hermione, Ginny and Ron joined them, as well as the twins. It was beginning to get a little crowded he thought, as Xander and Jenny remained standing near the door. They were all curious how the fight had gone and what the damage had been.


"What happened?" he finally asked, as Mrs. Weasley began to place cups of tea down for everyone.


"The attack was already underway when we ported in and as we had split up on Dumbledore's suggestion we had some trouble moving, but we finally got going when we hooked up with Moody and his team and then we pushed into the centre," Remus began, as he ran a hand through his hair. He looked tired and worn from the fight. "We found Bellatrix and a couple of guards there, torturing two of you classmates," he added, noting the darkening in Harry's eyes at the mention of the woman who had killed Sirius.


"Who did they get?" Hermione asked, as she placed a hand on Harry's arm as she noticed the expression on his face.

"It was the Greengrass sisters," Remus responded. "From what Snape found out, Daphne has chosen against following her parents in following and helping the dark lord and so was ordered to be killed," he explained at the teens surprised looks. "They were torturing them both very badly when we arrived and managed to drive them off," he pressed on.


"It has to be a trap," Ron spat out, as he noted Harry was looking thoughtful and that was a bad thing. Dumbledore had given him orders not to let anyone get close to Harry, especially not anyone who might make Harry question things. "The Greengrass family are all Slytherins and Death Eaters, we can't trust them," he added.


"You are so blinded by your own prejudices," Harry countered. "Not every Slytherin is evil just like not every Gryffindor is good, we know this for a fact," he added, looking his traitorous friend in the eye, recalling what Sirius had found out about him and the rest of his family. "No sane person would allow themselves to be tortured, not even for Voldemort if they could help it. Now while it is possible they could be here on his orders, the question would be why? And then again it could be that Snape's intelligence was correct and she is on our side," he finished.

Snape who stood at the far end of the kitchen was a little surprised by Potter's little outburst. It was far more insightful than he would have expected from the boy. He was beginning to show the signs of insightfulness his mother had been famous for and as he looked at Potter's eyes, he couldn't help but to recall how Lilly had defended him, until he had slipped up and called her a mudblood, which forever ended their friendship.


"You can't be serious Harry," Ron argued, stood up and tried to keep his temper in check.


"I'm very serious Ron. Daphne and her sister have never been a part of Malfoy's little group of idiots," Harry shot back a little angry himself, but he remained seated. "They have never attacked us verbally or physically and have remained out of the constant house rivalries," he reminded not just Ron but the others as well, who were listening. "Not everything is as black and white, as you seem to believe it is," he stated.


"Very true Harry," Tonks cut in, before the argument could get any more heated. "And you made some good points, but until we know a little more don't be too trusting about them," she cautioned him.


Harry turned and looked at Tonks, before he glanced at Remus and then at Xander and Jenny, who all nodded in agreement with that statement. A glace at Hermione confirmed she agreed with the caution as well, so he nodded his own agreement. If it was one thing he had learned from third year, it was that not everyone was as clear cut as the houses suggested. It made him wonder just who was truly on their side and who was not.

Fleur watched all this from her own chair and was pleased to see Harry was thinking a lot more clearly now, given what he had told her she knew they would all need clear heads, if they were to come out of this alive and in good health. She glanced over to where Bill stood and wondered yet again if he was using her to get to her inheritance like Ginny does for Harry's. It was a troubling thought and one she intended to eventually find the answer to, but for now she intended to gain some distance from the young man, as soon as possible.


"Were there any other people injured of killed?" Tara asked from beside Jenny, worried this may the beginning of the true war.

"A few of the people in the alley were injured, but strangely there were no deaths this time," Sturdis responded, his tone clearly indicating he was somewhat suspicious of this fact.


"Is that truly that unusual?" Xander inquired, truly trying to work out if this attack had been a faint and a trap or a genuine strike against the local population.


"Most of the time they only kill," Moody was the one who answered. "It's what they love doing, very rarely do they not kill anyone in their attacks," he informed them.


"Guess we'll just have to keep our eyes open," Tonks put in, after a small silence had descended to which the others nodded in agreement.


The group broke up quickly, beginning with Ron storming out of the kitchen unable to believe what Harry had said to him, before Sirius had died he would have had no problem in convincing Harry to share his views on things, but now it seemed Harry was determined only to see things from his own perspective. He would have to talk to Dumbledore when he visited headquarters again, as he was sure the headmaster would not like this turn of events. A part of him just wished this whole deal was over and done with and his family had the money Dumbledore had promised them, when they had agreed to this whole thing.


The plan was simple as far as he was concerned and had so far had been easy to ensure it went smoothly. Harry was easy to manipulate and was kept separated from most of the school or he had been before this year and the events that followed it. As the years progressed it seemed Harry grew more and more rebellious and more prone to doing his own thing. He was still surprised that Harry had agreed to form and lead the defense group Hermione had suggested to him. Dumbledore had allowed it, but had been concerned what this could do to his control of Harry. It seemed he had been right to worry.

Fleur headed for Bill and made him follow her into the nearby study and before she entered she shared a long look with Harry, who was about to head back upstairs. Finally breaking the contact which had lasted longer than she intended, she entered the room and locked it down with a few spells, so that no one could listen in. She decided to be on guard just in case Bill reacted in a bad manner to what she was about to do.


+++

Harry entered his bedroom and sat against the wall instead of on his bed, his mind drifted first onto Bellatrix. The mere mention of her name brought back memories of the battle at the department of mysteries and Sirius's death, which brought back all of the anger and hatred he felt for this woman. It almost surpassed his hatred of Voldemort and Dumbledore combined together.


His mind then shifted to the long look he had just shared with Fleur, he loved looking into her eyes, something he had not been able to do since the end of the Tri-wizard tournament and not something he had been aware of at the time. Only when he received her first letter did his mind latch onto this fact. His feelings for the French girl were rapidly changing into something he did not yet want to acknowledge. A soft knock made him look up and tell whoever it was they could come in. Seeing that it was Xander he stood up and went and sat on his bed.


"You okay Harry?" Xander asked as he leaned against the door and looked at the teen.


"I'm fine," Harry assured him. "Was there something you wanted?" he asked.

"I just wanted to let you know that Jenny, Tara, Remus, Kingsley and myself are going back to the alley for a few things," Xander informed him. "Tonks is staying behind to keep an eye on you, Hermione and Fleur, so if you have a problem go to her ok?" he added.


"I suggest you keep an eye out, as another attack could come at anytime," Harry cautioned him. "Something tells me now that Voldemort's return is public he will strike far more often than before," he continued.


Xander nodded his head taking the warning to heart and then he turned and left Harry to his thoughts. He also intended to slip into London and using a portkey Remus had made to visit Willow and see if she had come up with anything yet.

+++

(Hogwarts)


Dumbledore sat in his office thinking over the attack they had just repelled and wondered what Voldemort's true motives for it had been, something about it just seemed off to him. He leaned back in his chair and thought it over some more, but no matter how he looked at it he did not see what it could be. Snape had said the main targets of the attack had been the Greengrass sisters and so it appeared he had been right.


According to Pomfrey the school nurse both sisters had undergone multiple Cruciatus curses and some cutting curses as well. He knew that the Death Eaters loved to torture their victims and it was likely Bellatrix had just gotten carried away, allowing them to get to the alley in time to save the two teens.

However a small part of him could not discount this was all a set up, but he could not see what use the two teens could be do Voldemort, as far as he knew they had little contact with Harry or his friends bar in classes and even less contact with Malfoy and his cronies within their own house.


It was a puzzle and usually he loved such things, but at the moment he did not enjoy this new twist. Things were not exactly going to plan, especially with the arrival of Alexander and Jenny and their guardianship of Harry, which curtailed his own control of the boy. He stood and began to pace his office and wondered what he was missing. Oh well he guessed it would come to him, but for now he had other things to worry about. First was on how to get control back of Harry, as so far his search had not given any clues on how to gain leverage over Alexander and Jenny. Maybe he should step up his plans of having Ron and Ginny get closer to Harry and manipulate him and push Hermione away.


He was confident he could rely on Miss Granger's respect of her elders to keep her on side, but she also had a way of making Harry think for himself and gain more control of his life, which he did not want to happen at this time.


He also could attempt to push Remus into making Harry see reason and to ensure he continued to trust him, by using the debt Remus owned him for all of his help, first in getting into Hogwarts and then later on when he helped the other man find work. Sitting back down, he quickly began writing down ideas, ignoring the absence of his familiar, who he had not seen all day. He had to be ready for when Voldemort made his next move.


In the hospital ward Daphne was slowly coming around, she quickly recognized where she was, making her groan as this was the one place in the school she did not like. As she became more coherent she gasped as pain ran all over her, pain like never before. Her gasp alerted Pomfrey to her waking up and she quickly moved over and picked up a glass which clearly contained a potion of some sort.

"Nice to see you awake Miss Greengrass," Poppy said with a small smile, as she hated to see children subjected to such lethal curses as the unforgivable. "I need you to drink this all in one. It should help you deal with the pain you are currently feeling," she added and offered the glass to the girl, as she helped her into a sitting position.


Daphne would rather not take the potion, as most of them tasted horrible, but for once she did not argue and quickly downed the potion in one gulp, hoping it would remove the pain she was feeling. Just moving hurt like never before, she cursed Lestrange for she was sure the insane bitch had enjoyed inflicting those curses on her and her sister. Eyes widening she looked around and noted Astoria was laying on the bed next to her, still unconscious. She relaxed slightly at seeing her sister was alive.

"How is Astoria?" Daphne inquired, as she settled in her bed.


Poppy sighed as she turned to the younger teen and ran her wand over her body, doing a simple scan just to see if anything had changed over the last few hours since she had checked them.


"She is still recovering from the curses inflicted on her," Poppy answered. "She seems to have suffered a little worse than you, but I'm hopeful that she shall awaken either in a few hours or tomorrow morning," she informed her, with another small smile. "You both will need to stay here for a couple of days to fully recover, but after that you should be okay," she finished.


Daphne nodded in relief and settled back a little more, as Poppy moved off to her office. She vowed she would get even with Bellatrix somehow. She was sure that Bellatrix had gone above and beyond what she was told to do by Voldemort, thinking of the dark lord made her remember her supposed mission. She had no intention of carrying it out if she could help it. She knew that if Voldemort won the war, the world would become a living nightmare controlled by that psychopath.

Whilst she wanted to help bring about his defeat, she needed to know first that Harry Potter was someone she could trust and so she would get close to him and find out, before she threw her lot in with him. It was not just her life she would be betting with, but also that of her sister as well. She closed her eyes and prayed she was doing the right thing.


+++

(Diagon Alley)


Xander was beginning to suspect that he would never find a wand suitable for his use, as so far they had gone through ten different wands. Ollivander didn't seem to be that bothered, he looked more like he was used to this kind of thing happening. He noted Jenny and Tara who had come into the store with him did not seem surprised either, he watched as the old man came back with another wand for him to try.


"This one might be what you are looking for," Ollivander said and his sharp eyes seemed to look right through him, a very disconcerting feeling to have. "Holly with a Dragon heart string core, 15 and a half inches," he informed them, before handing it over. "It is good for combat and charms," he added with a slight smile.


Xander waved the wand and as soon as he did, he felt a connection to this wand he had not felt with the others. It was almost as if he could feel himself bond to the wand he was holding. He glanced at Ollivander who was nodding with a wider smile, as he retook the wand and moved to ring up the sale.

"That will be ten galleons," he said and Xander quickly handed over the money, having already been to Gringotts for some money before they headed out to buy stuff.


"That guy is kinda creepy," Xander said as he wrapped his arm around Jenny, bringing her closer to him as they walked. "It is like his eyes stares right through you," he added, as Remus and Kingsley rejoined them just hearing the end of his statement.


"Many have said that," Remus said with a chuckle. "I think even Harry had that feeling when he bought his wand," he added, shaking his head as he relieved his own memory of buying a wand from Ollivander.


"Well hopefully we won't have to go back there for some time," Xander said, as they moved on and headed to the nearby pub for a drink and a quick meal, before heading into London.

+++

(12 Grimmauld Place)


Fleur watched Bill leave and was somewhat relieved that she had got through all that without any arguments breaking out. However what had disturbed her was the complete lack of distress in his eyes. What she did see, was worry which made her think that Bill was indeed trying to use her, as Ginny was planning to use Harry, all at Dumbledore's command. She would have to keep a closer eye on her surroundings from this point forward, as there was no telling what they might be willing to do, to ensure they were successful in their goals whatever they truly were.
Sign up to rate and review this story