Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Change of Fate

chapter 7

by razial 3 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Fleur,Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2011-07-22 - Updated: 2011-07-22 - 3081 words

4Original
A Change of Fate

Chapter 7

(Sunnydale)

Willow continued to look through the records trying to see if there was any matches to the names on the list, Jenny had sent to her. So far she had found none and she was getting slightly bored having been at this for a while in between breaks. She looked back at the list of names and noticed the next one was Abbott, she ran it through the family tree she had created for Xander and then leaned back in her chair and waited.

She let out a sigh and then got up to make herself a cup of coffee whilst she waited. The search engine sometimes took a while as there were a lot of names to go through, a few minutes later as she returned to her chair she let out a scream as Xander, Jenny and Tara suddenly appeared in her room. She dropped the cup of coffee she had made and stared as the three newcomers shared amused glances. She could see Tara was trying not to giggle.

"How?" Was all she could manage to say.

"Sorry Wills," Xander replied, having not considered what Willow could have been doing when they arrived, thinking back to Tara's interruption of him and Jenny he was relieved she was awake and dressed. "Didn't mean to scare you," he added, as he walked over and gave her a quick ‘hello' hug, which seemed to break her out of her stupor.


"You stupid jerk, I could have been getting out of the shower or with Oz," she hissed, although they all could tell she was not serious about her anger.


"Oh I think Tara would have liked a free show," Xander said teasingly and glanced at both girls, who blushed. Tara gave him a glare, before he held his hands up and apologized, especially after Jenny had slapped him around the head.


"Jerk," Willow muttered again, before she went slack jawed again as she watched Tara pull a wand out of her sleeve and mutter a word, which caused her smashed cup to repair itself. "How?" she asked looking at her friends.


"Remember what we told you before? About the other way we can do magic?" Jenny reminded her. "Well that is it," she added with a smile, as she picked up the repaired cup and handed it to Willow.


Willow looked it over and noted there was not a single crack in the cup and that impressed her and made her wonder just how the magic behind it worked. She also couldn't help but wish that she could do this kind of thing as well.


"That was amazing," she finally said. "So you can do that now too Xander?" she inquired.

"Not yet, I've just found out I can do magic like that and I've just bought my wand," Xander replied and took a seat on the bed, joined a second later by Willow on one side and Jenny on the other. Tara sat down at the work desk where Willow's PC was.


"So how long will it take you to learn?" she asked.


"Hopefully not too long, the British magical world is at war and I'll need as many spells as I can learn and learn quickly to survive," Xander responded with a sigh. "Jenny and I also have to adjust to being parents to a teenager during all this. He's a good kid from what I've seen so far and he has been handed a shitty hand," he added.


"Like Buffy with some kind of destiny thing?" Willow inquired, not liking how dangerous this was sounding any more than she had when Jenny had contacted her and filled her in before.


"Yeah something like that," Jenny answered, as she remembered what Harry had said about a prophecy been involved in the whole Voldemort thing.


"I know you'd be interested in doing this kind of magic Willow, but you can't" Tara said, reading the expression on her friends face. "You have to be born with it," she added and hoped Willow would heed her advice and not try and force the issue.


"Then how can Xander suddenly do this kind of magic?" Willow asked, slightly annoyed she could not do this magic as well.


"I was born with it, but someone bound my powers according to Jenny," Xander answered and ran a hand through his hair. "We don't know why and we don't know by whom," he added, as Jenny leaned her head on his shoulder. "When the barriers were broken I feel ill for a while, but I recovered and now I have access to all my magic," he explained.


"Cool," Willow said excited for her friend who had always wanted a power to help the group protect the Hellmouth and now he had gotten his wish.


She wondered what Buffy would think of all this once she was told as well as Giles and Oz. She was sure there would be a lot of questions, especially for Jenny and Tara about why they had kept this quite for so long. She almost winced as she recalled the last time Jenny had kept a secret and how well that had gone down, but then she also recalled that Buffy had brought a lot of what had happened then, down on herself for not being more careful.

And Jenny was not the only one who had kept secrets from the group, she, Buffy, Giles, Oz, Tara and Xander. None of them were innocent of that and each time it had caused chaos and in fighting. She guessed it was always that way with groups of people who were close. Secrets were natural to people, the damage they could do to relationships no deterrent to keeping them.


"So what do you plan to do?" Willow asked, wondering what plans they had already come up with.


The sudden tense atmosphere that came over the room made Willow aware something was in motion, but from the looks exchanged between her three friends they were not sure how to bring it up. This made her even more worried about what it was they were not willing to say. A sudden beeping noise interrupted them and broke the building tension.


Willow quickly made her way over to the computer, taking the seat Tara had just vacated. She looked at the screen and noted what it was that had caused the beeping. The search routine had found a match.


"Xander, I found a match," she said, turned around and glanced at the others, noting the surprise and then intense concentration appear as they joined her at the work bench. "According to this someone called William Abbott changed his name to Harris in 1912, my search engine has found all the paper work that was filled to do it," she explained. "He is your great grandfather, so your grandfather must have been magical as well and it was he who bound your powers," she speculated.


"I guess that is possible, though I only vaguely remember him," Xander said. "So this means I am connected to the Abbott family, a small family who has a seat of the Wizengamot and if I remember correctly Harry is friends with a Hannah Abbott in that defense group, he and Hermione started," he added.


"We can not let Dumbledore or any of his followers learn about this," Jenny quickly stated. "If he does, he could try and use them as leverage against us," she warned him.


"The same goes for Voldemort," Tara continued, seeing where Jenny was going. "He will eventually learn about us and our connection to Harry and the less he knows the better off we will be," she added.


Xander nodded as he asked Willow to print everything out. This was important and it would take him a bit of time to think how to respond to this news. Jenny and Tara's warning were also clear in his mind and he knew they were dead right. He would have to be very careful on how he would approach the Abbott's so he did not endanger them.


"So what is your plan, that you think I won't like," Willow asked, as she handed over the printouts. She hoped she would get an answer before they left, so she could discuss it with the others.


Again there was an unsure exchange of glances between her friends, which just doubled her uncertainties, she prayed whatever it was it was not dangerous.


"Better that you don't know for now Willow," Xander finally said, thinking it best not to let the gang know that he was planning on breaking Faith out of jail within the next hour or so.


The plan was to meet up with Remus and Kingsley who had already port keyed to the jail, where Faith was been held, to scout it out. He hoped and prayed Faith had recovered enough of her true self to be of help to them, as a lot was going to be riding on her. Using some glamor's and magical constructs they were going to fake Faith's death in jail. That way there would be no police search or report of a breakout. They were convinced they could create a facsimile of Faith, which would fool the guards, sometimes he truly loved magic.


If Faith aided them he was willing to help her set up a new life for herself. No matter that when Buffy, Angel and the others found out he was sure to face a lot of anger. But in his mind the war in Britain was more important to deal with than keeping Faith behind bars for crimes, which could have been avoided had they been more alert. Part of what had gone down with Faith was their fault. He knew this, as did Giles and the others, although Buffy still refused to acknowledge that fact. He guessed that there was to much bad blood between the two Slayers. Willow also was still touchy on the Faith issue and he did not want to argue with her.


"We'll let you know later on, but not now," Jenny said, reading her husband very well.


She knew just how badly he felt about the whole Faith issue and she knew the deep scars the actions during that year had caused within the group. If Buffy learned what they planned to do she knew the blond Slayer would play holy hell and even give away their plans. They could not afford that right now, there was too much at stake. She was concerned how Faith would respond to all this, but she was confident Xander could convince her to help them.


Willow looked at each of them in turn before sighing and letting it go. She knew she would not get an answer right now and she hoped whatever it was that they were planning they knew what they were doing.


Xander stepped forward and hugged her and thanked her for her help and then she watched as they all grabbed what looked like a can.


"Thanks again Willow, tell the others we'll be in touch," Xander said, before they vanished just as quickly as they had arrived.


She sat down and wondered what they were truly getting involved in and what plan could make they so tense and unwilling to share with them. She decided she would bring this up with Giles when she saw him later. After letting out a sigh she got up and made herself another coffee and looking at the repaired cup she was reminded how impressive their new kind of magic was.


She decided to do some research on it and see if there was any way she could possible pick it up. She knew Tara's warning was out of concern, but she just wanted to be sure that there was not a way she could use to learn their kind of magic.


+++

(Hogwarts)


Dumbledore looked between the various Weasley's who had shown up and reported things he was not very happy to hear. First it sounded like Harry was moving more and more away from his influence and was no longer listening and trusting Ron, whom he had charged with keeping Harry distracted and seeing things his way. Then there was the report from Molly that Remus and Kingsley had left with Alexander and Jenny for some reason and finally Bill had reported that Fleur had broken off the relationship that had just begun a few months before on his suggestion.


He had put Bill onto the French girl hoping to first distract her from being too supportive of Harry, who he knew was friends with the girl, but the money is what he wanted most.


Gaining access to money that could support his plans and the Order was not always easy, but he had managed so far. He planned to use Bill to gain access to Fleur's inheritance, which he knew would be large as the Delacour family was very wealthy and influential in France, as well as Britain and other magical countries. He also planned to use Ginny to gain access to Harry's inheritance as well, although getting Ginny close to Harry had not been easy and only just begun to seem to be working this year.


To many problems were cropping up this year and it would take him time to work them out and counter them. He was still puzzling over the events of Voldemort's recent attack, even after trying to put it to one side. It would not leave his mind and kept replaying as he tried to work out what the dark lord hoped to gain from it. He stood up and paced a little as he worked through what to do.


"Molly, I want you to keep an eye on them when they return, see if you can overhear what they have been up to," he ordered, even as he wondered what Remus was thinking. He would have to have a face to face with the werewolf soon and remind him of where his loyalty should be. "Bill, I want you to see if you can change Miss Delacour's mind about a relationship, but if you cannot we will have to think up some alternate strategies to correct this problem," he continued. "As for you Mr. Weasley do what you have to and ensure Harry distances himself from Miss Granger, also see if you can seed some discord between him and his new guardians," he stressed the importance of this task as Ron nodded wide eyed, to think Dumbledore had given him this important task.


"Is there anything else Headmaster?" Molly inquired, not even once questioning the orders the man was giving.


"The Greengrass sisters will be joining you at headquarters as soon as they recover. Do what you must to keep them away from Harry," Dumbledore answered. "It is imperative no more people get close to Harry and begin to influence him. We have to much to deal with as it is," he reminded them and frowned a little. "If that does not work, other options will have to be considered," he continued. "Oh and Molly, tell Ginevra to pick up her attempts to get close to Harry. We must ensure no one else can get into such a relationship with him," he added after a few minutes of more thinking about what to do.


"Of course Headmaster," Molly agreed. She knew Ginny would have no problems with that, as she wanted to be in the position of the boy who lived's girlfriend.


Dumbledore sent them on their way and then sat back down, wondering if his plans were still going to be workable when he considered all the problems that were creeping up. He sighed and then went back to reading the reports he had been handed by Poppy on the Greengrass sisters and also the ones Moody had given him on recent Death Eater movements.


+++


(Riddle Manor)


Bellatrix quickly joined her fellow Death Eaters in the meeting hall at the Dark Lord's summons. She wondered what was going on. A lot of the more prominent Death Eaters were missing, thanks to the mistakes at the Department of Mysteries. She noted that her sister was in attendance along with her nephew Draco. In fact as she looked around she noted a few of the younger followers in the hall, clearly they must be here to be marked, but what was Narcissa doing here? She quickly looked up as the Dark Lord walked into the room and took the throne. He looked around with a cruel smile which frilled her.


"Plans are been drawn up to recover our imprisoned brethren. I want you all to prepare yourselves to attack Azkaban by the end of the week," he ordered, his eyes having an almost unearthly glow about them, as he looked them in the eyes. "The dementors should hopefully join our cause and aid us in taking the island and prison. Once we are at full strength we shall launch a raid on London itself and kill as many muggles as we can, as well as damage to the area. I want to cause mistrust and anger to build between the Ministry and the muggle leadership," he explained. "Now you shall bear witness to these new recruits receiving their marks," he said after a small pause.


One by one they watched ten teens take the mark alongside seven new Death Eaters. Bellatrix only recognized one of them, but when she considered things it made sense that Martin Higgins would take the mark. A long time supporter of the Dark Lord, but he had never taken the mark although his wife and son had left the country from what she had found out since being freed.


Finally the meeting broke up, but as she left she noted Narcissa had not left and was now speaking to their lord.


+++


(LA)


Xander looked around the area the portkey had brought them to and quickly found the large prison where Faith was being held. He also soon noted where Remus and Kingsley were waiting for them and made his way over to them, followed by Jenny and Tara. This was not going to be easy, as he looked the prison over. Pinpointing which cell was Faith's and whether she was alone would not be too hard, but getting in and out without being seen would not be so easy.
Sign up to rate and review this story