Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > But It's Better if You Do

Paying in Naivety

by GAClive 1 review

It was Spencer. A note had been pinned to his bloodied clothes that read simply, "Regards, Mr. Rogers."

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2011-09-22 - Updated: 2012-07-24 - 845 words

0Unrated
It was getting on show time at the cabaret and the orchestra was in an uproar. "Where is that son of a-" "You seen Smith anywhe-" "The show starts soon, we'll just have to manage..." With all of these things, and more, said there was still one common thought left unspoken. When someone didn't show up for a show, he was usually found in a similar state as "poor Roger". They all feared the worst for Spencer and Clarence had already begun to secretly think of replacements for him.

All the musicians had gathered behind the stage near the back entrance. In a huddled frenzy they tried to arrange the orchestra in a way they hoped would perform without the drums, but they were making little progress. The fiddler had just suggested that the second chair trumpet, much to the trumpeter's annoyance, simply bang out a basic beat when there was suddenly a thundering knocking on the back door, followed closely by the sound of men running away outside.

With trepidation, Clarence cautiously and slowly opened the door. The body that had been slumped against the door tumbled through the portal upon opening. The man was in a bad way and unconscious but thankfully still breathing. It was Spencer. A note had been pinned to his bloodied clothes that read simply, "Regards, Mr. Rogers."

There as a stunned silence as they stood in a circle around the abused drummer, they had never actually had a victim delivered like this before. Brendon was the first to recover. "Stop gawking and someone get a doctor!" he shouted, effectively prompting the bewildered men into action. In seconds they had made themselves busy and dispersed in different directions. One man stayed to help Brendon carry Spencer as Clarence led the way to one of the private dressing rooms.

The hall was crowded with dancers and stagehands but no one seemed to notice the serious group as hey moved through the smoke and perfume-heavy haze. Clarence knocked on one door with a brass star on it. To Brendon's surprise it was opened by the same singer who had talked to him the day before as he played the piano. Thankfully, she was already dressed in her costume and had not been interrupted while dressing.

Upon Clarence's request, she let them in and quickly cleared off the couch for them to lay the drummer down. "My word! Is he gonna be alright? Can I do anything?" She asked. She seemed conflicted, wanting both to help but also not sure what to do. She hovered close by as Brendon fetched items that Clarence called for to clean the cuts on Spencer's face. They tried not to think yet of the internal damage that might have been done.

"Actually, Natalie," Clarence said, "you can go out and tell those men who are already here that tonight's show is canceled."

"No it isn't; we can't afford that and we'd be doing just what those bullies want!" Natalie replied with an unmovable firmness. "Brendon," she continued, "We'll give them a really vintage show, yeah? Just piano and no band!" Brendon looked for approval from Clarence who just nodded. "Go," he said. Brendon spared another glance at the now feverish and groaning Spencer before he followed the singer out into the hall.

They shoved their way to the stage through the congested masses , all the while Natalie shouted orders to those around her. "Tom, get that piano on stage! Phyllis! Why aren't you ready?" Brendon was swept away in the chaos around him and could not get any sensation of calm and control until he was seated on the stage with the ebony and ivory before him.

The warm golden lights shown on him from the oil lamps that were ensconced along the edge of the stage, a spot light formed with mirrors lit up Natalie in her light blue bustled dress as she took center stage. All she had to do was shout a title at him and he played it with expert ease, relying on the memories from when he had worked at the cabaret before...before it had gotten deep in debt and before he had been transformed into something barely human. All these memories brought him back to the "before" and for a short hour he had forgotten all about the mess outside of the glow of the stage.

With Natalie's captivating presence and charismatic voice, she charmed the audience into thinking that tonight's show was no different from other nights in spite of the missing band. The girls sang and danced their hearts out and all was going well until one message destroyed all of Brendon's peace. A stage hand crept on stage and whispered in Brendon's ear, "Spencer is missing!"




A/N: Hey all! Sorry this took so long! But here it is for what it's worth. THanks all so much for the ratings and reviews! Please keep it up and keep reading! You guys seriously make my day (it's so nerdy of me to say it but it's true).
Sign up to rate and review this story