Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > "Bad Things Happen for a Reason" (I Hope)

Proof

by stargate-lover 1 review

Dan arrives. But can they even make it back to the house?

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Hatori,Kyo,Shigure,Tohru,Yuki - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2011-10-02 - Updated: 2011-10-03 - 2898 words - Complete

0Unrated
(A/N): So I decided that even Dan is gonna have (these). So anything in (these) they’re saying in English. I think that’s a little simpler, again if anyone has a problem with that let me know and I can try to work something else out! :) ( ) =English
**
Dan was quiet the whole time they were waiting for his bags and going out to the car. Inora knew that he felt bad, but mostly embarrassed, for trying to punch Hatori. Hatori had said several times that he understood why he would want to punch Shigure and that he didn’t blame Dan in the least. Inora was a little less forgiving. Who was he to say who she could and couldn’t be with? She was 20 now, that wasn’t his place, and she made sure to make him feel as guilty as possible. Inora was the first to break the silence as they got into the car.
“Hatori it’s four in the morning, are you sure you’re ok to drive? You look really tired,” she said looking at his drooping eyelids.
“I’ll be fine it’s not that far,” he said after a big yawn.
“Right,” Inora said unconvinced. As they made their way back to Shigure’s house Inora couldn’t help but notice all of the mistakes Hatori was making in his driving. She thought it could just be that she was paying more attention now, but she didn’t remember him swerving as much on the ride there as he was now. She kept her eyes glued to the road and when they were about five miles away from the house the car started going into the oncoming lane. She kept her mouth shut at first hoping he would correct it himself, she didn’t want to be an annoying backseat driver, but she broke once the car was halfway over the line.
“Hatori?” she asked trying to still sound calm, she looked over at him. His head had slumped backwards and his hands had fallen into his lap. “HATORI!?! DAMN IT, WAKE UP!”
“Unh,” he grunted, still not awake, they were now fully in the other lane. She did the only thing she could think of; she reached over and slapped him in the face, hard. He jerked awake and immediately grabbed the steering wheel and stomped on the breaks. They all jerked forward and Inora would have hit her head on the dashboard if her hands hadn’t slapped against it first.
“Your fine huh?” she asked him sarcastically.
“(What the hell was that?)” Dan asked sounding confused; Inora realized that she was the only one that had been awake in the car.
“(Hatori fell asleep, we’re lucky there’s no one else out at this time of night,)” she explained. She got out of the car and walked around the front to the driver’s side and opened the door. Hatori stared at her blankly for a few moments, and she rolled her eyes at him. She smiled in an effort to look like she didn’t blame him, and said, “Get out, your too tired.”
“Maybe I should get on the right side of the road before I walk and wake myself up,” he said, he sounded very calm for what had just happened.
“No, no, no,” she said shaking her head. “I’m not asking you to walk around to wake up. I’m asking you to walk to the passenger’s seat so I can drive.”
“Do you have a license?” he asked raising an eyebrow.
“Well not from Japan,” she said with a wink. “Don’t worry about it; I know the way from here. Plus I already figured out your traffic symbols, I don’t have to be able to read them.” He seemed very unsure but he got out of the car anyway and stretched.
“If you’re sure,” he said quietly and walked over and got in the passengers seat. She got in the drivers seat and smiled at him.
“You worry too much,” she said with a flirty wink. ‘What’s with me and winking all of the sudden,’ she asked herself. “I’m the best driver you’ve ever seen. See? Dan’s already passing out again.” Hatori glanced in the back to see Dan perfectly at ease with the new driving situation, with his eyes already closing lazily again.
“Ok, I trust you,” he said smiling back at her.
“Good,” she said and put the car in drive. She got back on her side of the road began to take the curvy road at a much faster pace than Hatori had. She knew that he could have probably gone the rest of the way after what had just happened, but she wasn’t going to take that chance seeing as she had been more awake than him in the first place. She saw him visibly relax as she took the sharp turns with ease.
“I thought you were just exaggerating,” he said watching her.
“About what,” she asked blushing when she glanced over and saw him staring at her.
“About being the best driver I have ever seen,” He explained.
“Oh, well I was exaggerating,” she said blushing even more.
“I didn’t notice you had been going fifteen over the speed limit until I just looked. I’d say that’s a pretty good sign that you’re a good driver,” he said with a smile.
“Isn’t me going over the speed limit a sign that I’m a bad driver?” she asked glancing at him again, he was still staring at her.
“Depends on how you look at it,” he said simply. She pulled up to Shigure’s house and turned to nudge Dan’s knee.
“(Dan we’re here. You're gonna be in the living room for now at least, they have it set up already,)” She said as he woke up.
“(Well this is a nice house at least,)” he said looking out of the window. She rolled her eyes; she hoped his whole trip wouldn’t consist of him analyzing everything about their life. She looked back at Hatori.
“I am not going to let you drive home. You are sleeping here,” she said and got out of the car to help Dan with his bags.
“I can’t stay here, Akito would be angry if he found out I wasn’t within earshot for a whole night,” he said quietly.
“Forget Akito,” she said. “Your safety is way more important than that (bastard).” He stared at her with an odd look that she couldn’t quite place; she decided that he must be afraid of Akito. She didn’t blame him; most of the family seemed to be afraid of him. “Look, just tell him it was my fault. It doesn’t matter as much if he’s angry at me right?” she said putting on a fake smile, she had to admit she was a little scared of Akito too, she didn’t want her brain messed with.
“I wouldn’t do that,” he said softly with the same odd look. “But I’m sure he’ll forgive it this once given the circumstances.”
“Good,” she said beaming at him; she knew he didn’t really think that. “I thought for a moment I was going to have to kidnap you!” They both laughed and went inside with Dan following them looking suspicious; Inora thought that she should explain before he tried to punch anyone again.
“(I convinced him to stay the night here. He’ll probably crash on the couch in the living room with you ok?)” she asked.
“(That’s good; I can keep my eye on him then. So where is this…um, Shigure?)” He asked looking around him as though he thought Shigure was hiding behind a plant. ‘Well at least he tried to get the name right this time,’ she thought.
“(He’s in bed man; it’s four thirty in the morning!)” she said laughing at him. He grunted at her as they set his things down in the living room. Someone, probably Tohru, had put away the blanket and pillow Hatori had used earlier so Inora went and got them out again. When she came back Hatori and Dan were sitting on the couch in an awkward silence.
“Oh Inora, can you ask your uncle if he would like the couch?” Hatori asked.
“(Dan, Hatori wants to know if you want the couch,)” She said with a sigh, now she knew how Hatsu felt.
“(No, I’m good with the floor,)” he said smiling at Hatori. She relayed the message as she started to make Hatori’s bed for him. She really didn’t notice what she was doing until Hatori grabbed her hand and made her look at him.
“Thank you,” he said softly, looking into her eyes. She felt the heat creep up on her face as she heard the emotion in his voice. ‘God, I wish I could control my blushing better,’ she thought franticly. Hatori let go of her hand and she glanced over to see that Dan was looking in his suitcase and had thankfully missed their moment. Suddenly she became very confused, ‘That can’t be right,’ she thought. She pushed the thoughts to the back of her mind for the time being.
“No problem. Is there anything else you need?” she asked beaming at him, he simply shook his head, she looked over at Dan who had found his toothbrush. “(Anything else you need Dan?)”
“(Just need to know where the bathroom is,)” he said looking around.
“(Down that Hallway to the right,)” she said pointing to a doorway. “(So I’ll see you in the morning then, night!)” She said and looked at Hatori and told him the same thing.
“Good night Inora,” He said smiling at her. She backed out of the room and practically ran upstairs. She didn’t know how long she could keep her act up around Hatori, the act being not acting like some lovesick school girl. She knew herself, she was entirely capable of doing the whole ‘not speaking and trying to blend into a wall’ act that 13 year olds do around their crushes. It was worse than that though, he wasn’t a crush, he was something more. She wasn’t stupid enough to believe that it was love but it was defiantly something.
She climbed into the bed as softly as she could so she wouldn’t wake Tohru. As soon as her head hit the pillow she knew that she wouldn’t be able to sleep, her mind was too full. Her mind seemed to be having a battle.
Could Hatori like me?
Why would he?
The way he looks at me is… odd.
Maybe he just thinks you’re odd.
What about the almost kiss yesterday? He didn’t pull away…
You probably just surprised him.
But what about the way we stare at each other?
He probably just stared at you because you were staring at him. Of course that would creep him out.
She thought about it the rest of the night but never came up with an answer. She knew she kept coming up with counterpoints because she didn’t want to get her hopes up just to have them crushed. That didn’t mean that they weren’t valid points though. She glanced out of the window and saw that the sky was turning grey; she decided to give up on sleeping and go watch the sun rise.
When she climbed the ladder and got up on the roof it took her longer then it should have to notice that there was another figure up there. When she did notice him she almost fell of the roof in her surprise.
“Kyo,” she said once she had caught her breath. “What the hell are you doing up here?”
“Well I was sleeping,” he said sounding grumpy, as he stretched out.
“Oh sorry, I didn’t know you were asleep,” she said walking over and sitting beside him.
“Why are you up here?” he asked.
“I couldn’t sleep. Is there some reason you’re sleeping on the roof?” she asked.
“I couldn’t sleep either so I came up here to think, I finally got tired enough. Why couldn’t you sleep?” he asked sitting up to look at her.
“Well why couldn’t you sleep?” she asked raising an eyebrow at him.
“Yeah, never mind,” they both said at the same time and laughed. They sat together and watched the sun rise; they talked about anything and everything like favorite music, books, and even color. They never talked about real things like what their dreams were, or what caused them pain. Inora didn’t mind, she was just happy to talk to someone at that moment and actually loved that it was so light. ‘There may be a time when we can really talk to each other again like last night. But we both have issues so for now it’s good to get them off our minds for a while,’ she thought.
“We should probably head in don’t you think?” she asked him as voices drifted up to them. He nodded at her and they made their way back down the ladder, when they got inside Inora immediately wished that she had stayed up on the roof. Dan, having found out which one Shigure was, had him pushed up against a wall. Shigure was trying to reason with him but of course Dan couldn’t understand him.
“(YOU DON’T TOUCH HER! YOU GOT ME?)” Dan was screaming in Shigure’s face. Shigure had his hands up in front of his face trying to protect it.
“I didn’t do anything!” he kept whining over and over. Inora rolled her eyes and gave a huge sigh.
“(Dan let him go,)” she made an effort to sound calm.
“(IS THIS THAT SHIGURE?)” he screamed at her, ‘at least he waited to know for sure before he started throwing punches again,’ she thought. She looked around the room; Tohru was standing about four feet from the pair with her hand slightly outstretched as if she was trying to figure out how to stop them. Hatori and Yuki were sitting calmly at the table with their tea, they actually looked bored. Kyo had left Inora’s side and went to sit at the table; he, however, looked more interested then Hatori and Yuki.
“(Yes it’s Shigure but you don’t have any reason to hit him,)” she said as she slumped down at the table with the others.
“(Oh don’t I?)” he asked in a dangerous tone.
“(No you don’t. Think about it, do you even have any proof that I am dating him? No you don’t. And even if you did, is it your place to say who I can and can’t date? No it isn’t,)” she reasoned. He stared at her with his eyes bugging out a little, finally he slowly let go of his grip on Shigure. Shigure promptly scurried out of the room as soon as Dan’s grip was loose enough.
“(I may not have proof now but believe me I will get some,)” he said glowering at the floor, and she smiled at his weird since of honor.
“(Well sit down and I’ll introduce you to everyone,)” she said, as he sat down she suddenly remembered something.
“(Oh! I was supposed to go to Hatsu’s yesterday. I hope he’s not too worried… anyway I’ll call him and see if he wants to come over too,)” She said half to herself. She got up and called him, he did scold her a bit for not letting him know she wouldn’t be there. But he forgave her as soon as she explained everything that had happened.
“Of course I want to meet him! I’ll be right over,” he said cheerfully. When she had hung up the phone she decided that she should try to coax Shigure out as well. She wandered back down the hallway to his study; she poked her head through the door and was dragged roughly inside. It had startled her enough that she let out a small scream; she was instantly silenced by someone’s mouth crushing hers. Her brain took a second to recover but then she realized that it was Shigure. She got an odd feeling in the pit of her stomach but she pushed that to the back of her mind. She was about to push him off of her when there was a crash. Dan stood in the doorway; the crash had been him breaking the door as he threw it open.
“(There’s your proof,)” he growled at Shigure. “(Now you’re gonna die.)” The look on his face even scared Inora.
**
(A/N): Hmmm. Yeah sorry, I couldn’t quite get this chapter to flow right. It sounds a bit choppy to me.
Also I thought that it was only fair to warn you that I am a Kana Hater. There may be some Verbal Kana bashing in later chapters… just so you know. ;)
Sign up to rate and review this story