Categories > Cartoons > Great Mouse Detective > Love isn't necessarily always at first sight...

Beta: Walking, Weddings and Whimsy

by Shego2Drakken 0 reviews

2 of 5. Rated R for mentions of M/M sex, alcohol, blood, m-preg. Brief x-over with Hellsing.

Category: Great Mouse Detective - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Crossover, Drama, Fantasy, Humor, Romance - Characters: Basil, Ratigan - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-06-09 - Updated: 2006-06-10 - 1875 words

0Unrated
Ratigan: And my abuse continues...

Disclaimer: Basil and Ratigan belong to Eve Titus and Disney, references to Hellsing belongs to Kohta Hirano, and Veeken and Des are mine.

------------------------

#01 - Walking: What was supposed to be a simple stroll in an attempt to clear his thoughts was blown to pieces as soon as Ratigan joined him.

#02 - Waltz: "Someone's been working on their disguises", Ratigan whispered teasingly into his partner's ear, his hand resting on the "woman's" hip as he gently spun "her" around.

#03 - Wishes: "Listen", Ratigan said, planting himself between his arch-foe and the young teenager, "I'm not demanding /anything/, but I'm certainly /asking/. Unless you want another defeat, leave Veeken and Des alone."

#04 - Wonder: The sight of the Aurora Borealis as part of the London skyline left an amazed look on his face, but it wasn't so impressive that he didn't feel Ratigan's kiss on his cheek.

#05 - Worry: "Basil, when have I given you reason for concern?" Ratigan asks, and Basil merely glances at the ceiling, not wanting to answer.

#06 - Whimsy: "Wait, look at /this/!" Basil exclaims as he points at the picture of the fish collector tank unit in the weather machine, Ratigan looking over his shoulder.

#07 - Waste/Wasteland: "/Oh my god/...", Ratigan thought as he thought of how Basil had discretely turned London into a police city, "/What has he/... /What have I done/?"

#08 - Whiskey and rum: She sighed as she watched the two men: /THUMP!/ "Beat that, Professor!"; /THUMP! THUMP!/ "I just did!"; /THUMP! "I'm still ahead of you!"; /THUMP! THUMP!/ "No, you just lost count!"; /THUMP! THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!/ "HA!"; Veeken merely groaned, knowing she wouldn't envy /them in the morning.

#09 - War: Basil grinned wickedly as the dæmon battalion faced down the 9th Crusade, "Shall we dance, Professor?"; Ratigan drew his sword: "Yes, let's."

#10 - Weddings: "Oh, please", Ratigan scoffed, "We don't need some elaborate ceremony, some humongous party, or great honeymoon, though it would be nice."

#11 - Birthday: "So, is there anything you don't want?", Basil asked over his shoulder; "Aside from extremely bad age jokes?", Ratigan replied, smiling.

#12 - Blessing: "Well, good luck", Basil says as Ratigan moves to the door; "Don't need it", Ratigan replies confidently as he exits, coming back briefly, adding "But thank you, either way."

#13 - Bias: "I don't get it... Why does he hate you?", she asks, and Ratigan suddenly finds himself no answers, but a multitude of questions; /Why did he turn rogue/... /Why would he become so obsessed with hunting down anyone associated with me/... /Why did I do this to him/...

#14 - Burning: The moment he knew Ratigan was asleep, Basil managed to stand, ignoring the friction-induced heat and the pain in his muscles as he made an immediate beeline for the shower; While he knew that, after all these years, they still inspired blazing passion in each other (something their dæmon natures seemed to amplify greatly), it didn't help that Ratigan could occasionally be so damned /rough/...

#15 - Breathing: "/Not even a sonic pop/...", the tan mouse exclaims (or tries to), and Ratigan replies, "/I think I heard a pop, but I think that was my lungs/..."

#16 - Breaking: His razor-sharp teeth pierce through fur and skin, some dark hunger at the back of his mind cheering at the sudden taste of blood, and he temporarily forgets how fragile and drained his bedmate is at the moment.

#17 - Belief: To find someone you loved and reciprocated your feelings, Ratigan thought, was a good sign that some things went right with the world, no matter what the circumstances.

#18 - Balloon: "All right", Basil snarled, resting a hand protectively on his swollen stomach, "the first person here to say I've swallowed a basketball or something similar gets a lethal overdose of pain, understood?!"

#19 - Balcony: Ratigan laughs at Romeo and Juliet on the odd occasion, partly because he knows it isn't necessarily love at first sight, and also partly because he knows that Basil wouldn't do a "Wistfully Pining Girl In Love" monologue until hell froze over; A "You Annoying, Stubborn Bastard, Why the hell did I fall in love with you?" monologue, maybe, but nothing like Juliet's speech in a million years.

#20 - Bane: The horrible part of being in love with your arch-foe was that you were still supposed to pretend to be arch-foes; They were supposed to be enemies after all, like the Montagues and the Capulets, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, or Father Alexander Anderson and "that egotistical berk Alucard" (as Ratigan so eloquently put it)...

#21 - Quiet: Ratigan glanced up at the usually energetic Basil, who was now staring pensively into space; but instead of asking what was wrong, he merely waited until Basil finally spoke: "I think the girls suspect something..."

#22 - Quirks: Both knew each other's personalities relatively well enough to get along with each other as merely friends, each probably expecting some flaw in the other's personality to keep them from taking an amorous relationship seriously; hence the surprise when they first kissed.

#23 - Question: "Well, the point is..." Ratigan hesitated; "Ratigan?"; Without another word, Ratigan leaned forward and gently kissed him: "Do you love me?"

#24 - Quarrel: Of course, they still have their occasional arguments, most of the time having them for show in order to deceive the people who know them as arch-foes, because, in reality, there isn't too much reason to have an actual fight nowadays.

#25 - Quitting: Sometimes they wish they could simply drop everything from their current lives and run away together like in the fairy tales, but they also know that can't happen with the way things are now.

#26 - Jump: "S-/SEX/?!" Basil sputtered in utter shock, then, managing to calm down, added "That is a bit of a gigantic step forward..."

#27 - Jester: "Quit teasing me, James", he finds himself thinking, half from the fading pain and half from the rising pleasure as his lover's tongue runs along the small cut at the base of his neck.

#28 - Jousting: While they are no longer enemies (in secret at least), they still had the occasional debate to keep their minds fresh and prepared for the occasion that they'd have to "fight" in front of anyone who believed otherwise.

#29 - Jewel: Basil slipped his hand into Ratigan's, smiling hopefully as his eyes faded back to their normal colors from the sapphire blue light they had been moments earlier.

#30 - Just: Ratigan sighed as he let himself lean back against the closed door, trying to erase the image of the angry expression on Basil's face and knowing that there was little more dividing them than only the door.

#31 - Smirk: "Well, it seems that someone has had their leg broken", he says with an air of calm, ignoring the tan mouse as the latter blurted out a blue streak; "Undoubtedly it will take quite awhile for that to heal", he continued, pausing as a half smile appeared on his face, "What will you do?"

#32 - Sorrow: "Why didn't he tell me?" Ratigan asks Basil with an air of wide-eyed betrayal, and Basil finds he can't answer, but knows he is feeling the same thing.

#33 - Stupidity: "/What the hell were you thinking?!/", Basil tries (and fails) to say in a calm, rational voice, and Ratigan puts on an expression of faux-innocence: "...Chi?"

#34 - Serenade: The violin is briefly tuned (Ratigan ready to cover his ears at a moment's notice), and he begins a slow, calm piece, Ratigan relaxing as the tune slowly progresses...

#35 - Sarcasm: "Mm... /You're certainly enjoying this/", Ratigan's voice echoes in his mind, his hand slipping down between Basil's legs as he simultaneously nips the back of his neck; "No, the mouse you're torturing with feelings of pleasure is a figment of your imagination and- /Oh! /Ooh... Ah..."

#36 - Sordid: "I-I feel sick...", the temporary-vampire rat stutters weakly, shuddering at the sight of blood on his hands before turning to face him, "-I could h-have killed you and... enjoyed it."

#37 - Soliloquy: Ratigan smiled as the memory faded to dark; It's been awhile, hasn't it...To think it all began so plainly...

#38 - Sojourn: He looks into the detective's eyes, and, seeing no traces of deception, smiles faintly; "Yes, you may stay here, but only for the night..."

#39 - Share: There was a moment of silence before Ratigan leapt at him, the childish shriek of "GIMME!" loud in the small room.

#40 - Solitary: He blinked as consciousness returned to him, blinking in surprise at the sight of brown fur instead of pale sheets; glancing up, he sighed as he let his head fall against Ratigan's chest: So much for a quiet night on New Year's...

#41 - Nowhere: Basil gasped as he felt Ratigan move up against him, his body reacting strongly to the simple feeling of another against his; "Don't worry, Basil", Ratigan purred as he felt these reactions in himself as well, his hand sliding down his soon-to-be mate's leg, "I doubt you'll be escaping for awhile - nor will you want to..."

#42 - Neutral: He tries to remind himself that Ratigan is still a dangerous criminal and that his duty is to justice as well as his emotions, but he glances at Ratigan again, who seems so damned /vulnerable/, and he finds himself unable to make him believe it.

#43 - Nuance: Neither openly expresses their feelings to each other, partly because they (and others like them) are persecuted, and partly because they don't need to be so obvious...

#44 - Near: They find themselves stuck in a ventilation duct after both attempted to retrieve the same device, and a failed attempt of Basil's to reach it results in his body brushing against Ratigan's, sending shockwaves through him to accompany the memories of past times spent intimately together; Later, Ratigan sighs, knowing that he would have to come up with a pretty damn good explanation for that...

#45 - Natural: Both had thought that their student-teacher relationship was normal, then as arch-foes (if not painful), and finally as semi-friends, romance never seriously entering the equation up until now...

#46 - Horizon: "It's too early to get up...", Ratigan sighed, glaring at the rising sun, and Basil sat up, rubbing his eyes sleepily; "Is it 10:00 already? Here I was thinking it was 4:00..."

#47 - Valiant: "And what's more", Basil grinned down at the fallen Alucard, "Ratigan's as powerful as I am", and Ratigan sighed, rolling his eyes; Despite his courage, he could be so freaking arrogant...

#48 - Virtuous: "I don't get it", Basil sighed as he felt the leg set, "you'd be better off leaving me like this, so why save me?", but Ratigan merely smiled enigmatically, not willing to let his secrets go that easily.

#49 - Victory: "Well, now that you've won", Ratigan whispered, grinning seductively up at him, "what do you intend to do with me?"

#50 - Defeat: So long ago, neither would have considered this, and both would have been ashamed of the way they are now, but times had changed, indeed...

--------------

#2: Yes, I make Basil cross dress. evil laughter
#9: Meh, this is an AU version of the Hellsing manga timeline.
#16: Well, I did warn you...
#18: I've pretty much made it my goal to include one male pregnancy sentence for each set here, I think.
#31: A cookie for the one who can guess which Hellsing volume this line comes from.
#47: All right, I think I'll have to post something about the hierarchy of sorts in that world...
#49: Think Nala near the end of "Can You Feel The Love Tonight".
Sign up to rate and review this story