Categories > Anime/Manga > Pokemon > Made of Stone

Challenges

by IWCT 2 reviews

Mel and Lapis train against some spearow.

Category: Pokemon - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Other - Published: 2006-06-10 - Updated: 2006-06-10 - 2482 words

2Original
Author's note: I can't believe that I have managed to summarize a chapter in one sententce. This is a personal first for me. I can't summarize very well, so this is pretty cool. It probably only worked out this way, since this is not a plot heavey chapter.

I'd also like to thank my most recent reviewers, especially awussede who gave me my first flame -- which made me laugh for the rest of the afternoon. Thank you for being so agressively hateful that it was entertaining.

Disclaimer: I don't own either the pokemon manga, anime, or games, or the ideas behind them. If I did own either of these three there would probably be some changes towards the gothic. As it is, I only borrow the ideas and return them at unspecified times.



Lapis was less sanguine about the prospect of fighting a whole bunch of spearow. Spearow were annoyingly aggressive. They reminded Lapis of the charmander Corazon, and the boy with the bulbasaur. He hardly wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon fighting them. He was feeling much stronger after the earlier battles, however, where there was one visible spearow there were twenty invisible ones.

"Alright," Mel still had some bread left from her sandwich. She crumbled a bit of it, and dropped it under the tree. "Here, birdy, birdy, birdy!"

The spearow on the branch chirped, and then swooped onto the bread.

Mel grinned. "Lapis, tail whi-,"

The tree rustled and spearow poured out, falling upon their comrade, and the piece of bread he held in his beak. A few saw what was left of the crust in Mel's hand. The flapped after her, with glints in their eyes. Mel did the only sensible thing she could. She flung the bread away, and ran in the other direction, Lapis following her with commendable speed.

She stopped several yards away, and sat down with a sigh. Lapis sat down with her. "So, what do we do now?" Mel asked. "I only wanted one at ground level."

Lapis shrugged. "Squirt, squirtle," he said stoically, meaning, "it's probably all for the best."

"Yeah," Mel agreed. "Hey, that's a good idea. Okay, Chrono, on, got any suggestions?"

The hologram flickered into life, repeating Lapis's exasperated response to "Hey, that's a good idea": "Squir, squirt, squir. Vocal processing, and analysis commencing," Chrono paused. "That's not what I meant."

"Huh?" Mel asked.

"Your squirtle just said 'that's not what I meant,'" Chrono explained his actions.

Mel looked embarrassed.

"Anyway, you needed me?" Chrono asked.

"Er, yeah," Mel told him. "Look, see that flock of spearow over there?"

Chrono nodded, not looking. "Yes, the pokedex has scanned them."

"I want to train Lapis against one or two of them, not the whole flock," Mel told Chrono. "But when I tired using bribes, they all came."

"And you want to see if I have an idea?" the machine asked brightly.

"Pretty much," Mel replied.

"Squir squirt-tle, squirtle squirt?" inquired Lapis.

"Why are we doing this anyway? Spearow are loud, annoying, and should be avoided at all costs," Chrono translated.

"Because I want to make you stronger, Lapis," Mel explained. "As a trainer's pokemon you'll be in lots of fights, and battles with wild pokemon toughen you up for the real thing. The reason why it's good to train against spearow is because they are aggressive, and quick."

"Squirtle squir," the water pokemon grumbled. "Squir, squir, squirtle."

"I knew I was crazy to have attached myself to a trainer. Alright, let's do this, then," Mel was ready to hug whoever programed Chrono with this translating function.

"You mean, you actually want to fight them? I mean, I can completely understand not wanting to, spearow are nasty creatures."

"Squirtle. Squir squirt, squirtle squirt. Squirt, squir," Lapis informed her coolly.

"I am a pokemon, you know. Getting stronger is the only way to become an independent person. I am your partner, not your pet," Chrono relayed, before signalling the he wanted to say something. "And before you two run off to confront the whole flock, the easiest way to get a single spearow is to insult one particular one. The rest of the flock will find it hillarious, and it's only up to that spearow you insulted to defend his pride."

"Alright, Lapis, I think I can insult someone, and then you can be my proxy for the challenge," Mel said, getting up and walking purposely towards the gathered flock. Lapis followed, hopping Mel wasn't going to get him into a big mess.

At a safe distance from the birds Mel cupped her hands over her mouth, and yelled: "Hey! You oily-feathered buffoon with the chipped beak! That was my bread you stole, you theiving son of a murkrow!"

The bird who had first flown at her crumbs hopped through the grass and glared at her. The other birds reguarded the scene with their heads cocked to one side or the other.

Mel thought fast, looking for new insults. "Anyway, featherbrain, me and my squirtle demand satisfaction!" Okay, so not the best insults, but if they did the job, who cared?

Chrono coughed delicately. "Spearow aren't known for their sense of honor."

However, the spearow did feel insulted enough to step forward and screech his name angrily at the sky.

Mel grinned.

"Lapis, tail whip!"

The squirtle stepped in front of his trainer, and spun on one stubby paw to thwack the spearow with his fuzzy tail. The spearow gave voice to an indignant "Row!" as the suprisingly heavy tail slammed into him, knocking away his wind. He pecked the squirtle, his heavy beak bouncing off the smooth armor of the red shell.

"Spin the opposite way for another tail whip!" Mel intructed.

Lapis' tail crashed into the side of the spearow's face. As he completed the pivot, turning to face the spearow, the bird leered at him, nearly cross eyed from the recent blow. Lapis just snickered, and then dove at the disoriented creature just as Mel yelled "Tackle!"

The strong attack, on the tail, as it were, of two tail whips, did the trick. The spearow, grounded, lay gasping and heaving on the short grass under the elm tree. His flock jeered at him, as Lapis felt the muscles in his legs build in the aftermath of his dual tail whips. The defeat, now that he had time to savor victory, felt good.

Shadows of clouds were cast over the ground by the bright sun, and Mel felt exhilerated. The wind had picked up, moving the shadows quickly over the field, which meant that it would be harder for spearow, who weren't strong fliers, to fly.

"Alright, we'll also fight the peabrained scum who leads this flock!" she exclaimed. "We aren't afraid."

A large female and a smaller, but probably more agile male hopped out of the flock. There was fire in both their eyes.

"Spearow leaders usually come in pairs," Chrono mentioned. "It's rare for a flock leader not to have a mate, since, as with most pokemon, leading spearow get their choice of mates."

"Oh," said Mel weakly.

"Spearow?" the tone of the female was cold and deadly.

"Spear, spear," added her mate, who seemed more sardonic.

"Squirtle," Lapis' voice was contemptous.

Both spearow glared again, and then pouced, fluttering awkwardly in the stiff breeze.

"Tail whi-" Mel began, but Lapis withdrew like lightning into his shell.

The sharp beaks landed on red plate armor, and skidded off, leaving only small scratches on the enamel.

"I would guess that your squirtle knows withdraw. Usually they don't think to use it in battle until several levels on," Chrono said in Melamine's ear.

"Yes, but this isn't helping him do any damage," Mel replied. "In fact, those spearow are making their scratches deeper."

The searow were indeed attacking the divits they had made in their initial assault. Lapis, inside his shell wasn't budging an inch. The rough armor on his stomach kept him firmly fastened on the ground.

Mel bit her lip. If only he knew some projectile attacks, she could have him squirt water at the spearow while keeping inside his shell. She looked at his bird opponents. Both were fairly bold, now that their target wasn't fighting back. Mel sized them up, and came to a strategy of sorts.

"Tackle left!" she cried.

Lapis popped out of his shell as quickly as he could and ran sideways on all fours. The lighter male was caught off guard, and Lapis' tackle lifted him from the ground to slam him into the solid female spearow. They tumbled backward in a ball of feathers, and cawing screeches.

Lapis rushed forward again, delivering a wide sweeping tailwhip as the two lay on the ground, tempting to scramble upright. Wings and beak lashed out at Lapis as he finished the tail whip twirl, scratching the shell plating on his chest.

"Tackle!" Mel was standing in the grass, watching everything, her heart in her mouth.

"Squir," the tiny turtle confirmed, racing toward the heap and crashing into it.

Feathers exploded into the air. Then Lapis backed up frantically, as a large beak stabbed at him again and again.The female spearow had regained balance on the ground, her eyes blood shot and angry. Her mate had taken the force of Lapis's blow and was now out cold.

"Tail, no, bat that beak aside!" Mel screamed, the heat of battle surprising her.

Lapis slapped out with his stubby paw, forcing the savage hooked bill aside, the head turning with it. He got a close look at large orange orb of the bird's eye, veined with red. Then he rushed forward, delivering a final tackle.

The flock cawed its vexation as the squirtle stepped away from the unconcious bird. Lapis felt much stronger, the air blew over his shell and across his face, reviving and refreshing him. The world seemed to sparkle, even though it was now overcast. He was alive, and the world seemed somehow knew, after the cleansing intesity of the battle. He was covered in scrapes and a few cuts which bled slugishly, yet he knew for a fact that he was invinsible at that moment.

Mel wiped sweat from her brow, and then eyed the jeering flock, where were hopping around, pecking at thin air, shrieking and crying.

"Chrono, do you know why they're doing that?" Mel wanted to know.

"Um, don't be too worried. They're not goning to work themselves into much of a frenzy before --," the pokedex program stopped when he saw Mel's face. "Really don't worry!" he exclaimed. "If the barometric pressure keeps on dropping then they won't have time to attack."

Mel was already running to Lapis.

"C'mon, let's go," she told him, scooping the turtle up in her arms.

As soon as Mel moved, the floock flapped into the air as one being. Chrono flickered in beside Mel, staying close to the pokedex in her pocket.

"That wasn't the brightest idea," he told her conversationally, his image gliding along the grass, although his les did not move. "Now they'll chase you just because you ran."

The caws here getting louder, and Mel picked up her pace. "Really?"

Rain began to fall, heavy warm summer drops, which moved from the skies obeying only gravity. Mel risked a glace behind. The drops, while not pounding or aggressive, were slowing the spearow down.

"Once it gets really heavy they will be unable to fly," Chrono informed her. His hologram sparked and crackled as the water hit it. "Mind if I shut myself off?" he asked. "The pokedex is waterproof, but it's using up a lot of energy to keep this hologram stable in the rain."

"Sure," Mel panted. "Am I going in the right direction of Viridian?"

Chrono nodded, "Just continue South until you hit the motor road," he winked out of existance.

Wet grass whipped at Mel's bare legs as she ran on. The rain worsened, the big fat blobs suddenly deciding to invite friends along, and race to see who could hit the gorund first. Most of the spearow turned back, but there were about five who continued on, battling rain wet feathers.

Mel didn't understand why they were acting in such a crazy manner, however, the water pokemon in her arms realized that the spearow wanted to challenge them again. It made sense, in the flock hierarchy whoever beat the leaders would become the next leader. So, whoever could beat him would lead the flock.

Mel saw the dip in the medow, and the fence indicating that the road to Viridian cut through this section of the field.

She ran for the fence, jumped it, and came down on the other side of the embankment on her hands and knees. She winced as grit from the pavement embedded itself in her skin, but she leapt up again, and kept on going.

"Hey? Are you alright?!"

Mel skidded to a halt, and turned to see Adam under the sign indicating only a quarter of a mile to Viridian.

He had a pidgey who was ruffling her feathers against the wet, and Bolt who was sparking brightly as he danced a little pichu dance in the downpour.

"I've got a couple of spearow on my tail," Mel told him, letting Lapis down on the ground. Like the pidgey the blue turtle kept his distance from the electric type.

"Hey, no problem," Adam grinned. "With all this rain, Bolt can make a thundershock."

The cawing was audible through the pattering of the rain. "Be my guest," Melamine invited, standing clear of Adam and Bolt, who ran up at his whistle. Noticing that Adam returned his pidgey Mel decided to do the same with Lapis. Even she knew that Pichu's electric attacks were mostly unpredictable.

The spearow's shapes were visible through the rain. Only four were left now, and they looked confused, now that they could no longer see Lapis. Adam didn't give them time for a decision.

"Bolt, thundershock!"

"PiiiiiiCHU!" the little yellow mouse leapt into the air and blasted raw energy from his body. The spearow came down like lead weights. Their bodies landed on the wet pavement with soft sounds, and Bolt landed among them, breathing heavily, his eyes over bright.

"Wow," Mel admitted, looking.

Adam walked over quickly and scooped the pichu up. "He'll be out of it for a while until he builds up more energy," the large boy searched his pockets, and came up with a few squashed berries. These he fed to Bolt, murmuring how brave and powerful the young pokemon was.

Mel released Lapis again. "C'mon, we have to get these birds off the roadway before a car runs into them."

Her squirtle looked at her as if she was just a little weird, before shrugging.

"After that, we're going to Viridian in order to get a hot bath," Mel sighed.
Sign up to rate and review this story