Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and unfamiliar power

Chapter Six- Embarrassment and Encounters

by claire13524 0 reviews

He wondered how many potions he had been given. Did they have side effects e.g spilling secrets? Or was he just so tired that he would say anything to get some sleep or at least put some pants on.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Humor - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Lupin - Published: 2011-10-23 - Updated: 2012-03-04 - 2768 words

5Exciting
Chapter Six- Embarrassment and Encounters


Disclaimer- All Characters belong to Rowling, not me. I am just sort of playing around with them and making a story for my own (and hopefully your) entertainment. No copyright infringement intended.



Remus stood suddenly, leaning slightly on the wall. Shock and confusion clearly evident on his aging face, his eyes looking squarely into Harry’s. Harry looked down absentmindedly; he couldn’t stare into them for too long. The bubbles seemed to have disappeared a lot since when he had last looked and the fact that Remus was now standing made Harry feel rather uncomfortable again.

“Erm…Remus” Harry began gingerly. Hoping Remus wouldn’t move at all.

“Harry, what were about to say before, you have to what?”

“Er…no. Can you make –.”

“No don’t try and change the subject.” Remus said taking a step forward.

“NO, it’s just…Can you…the bubbles” Harry said rapidly, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

The man considered this for a moment, “On one condition.” Remus said smoothly although he had stopped walking now and was only just far enough away.


“What?! That’s evil and… cruelty.” He wasn’t that mean, was he? Then again he was a marauder, which answered the question.

“You want some more bubbles then you tell me what you meant.”

“And if I refuse?”

Remus now thought and answered with a grin. “I’ll wait until all the bubbles are gone and then I will suddenly have important matters to deal with elsewhere which need my immediate presence and so will be forced to leave. Meaning that Molly will have to assist you instead and we both know she having had raised six sons will not be shy about helping you.”




Harry now had fear on his face. As he was thinking hurriedly there was a knock on the door.

Remus then got up and unlocked it, standing in the doorway, which was out of Harry’s line of sight.

“Here’s his pyjamas and stuff. Oh yeah and mum sent up his food, but there is a warming spell on it.” Said a voice belonging to Ron.

“Ok, thank you, Ron” Remus said, closing the door as Ron’s footprints sounded down the corridor.

“Er…Remus, the lock” Harry said slowly, he looked down again and even through his steamed up glasses he could see his -. “Fine” He said hurriedly.


“You’ll tell me?”

“Yes, ok, deal” As Harry finished saying that, more bubbles appeared and Harry felt vaguely relaxed before he realised what he had to say next.



He briefly wondered how many potions he had been given, usually he would have been much more against even contemplating sharing the prophecy, and did the potions interfere with that some way? Did they have side effects like spilling all your secrets? Did Remus know? Or was he just so tired that he would practically say anything to get some more sleep, or at least put some pants on. “It will put you in danger”, he warned.


“If you hadn’t noticed we are all pretty much in danger, Harry” Remus responded, sitting back down against the wall, having put Harry’s pyjamas down on the stool.

They were blue stripy ones; on top of the pile Ron had put a pair of green underpants. ‘Thanks Ron’, he thought sarcastically. He hoped the girls hadn’t seen them.


Harry closed his eyes and sighed deeply before telling Remus the prophecy. The room was deadly silent. Harry had still not opened his eyes and after about 20 minutes he was fairly sure he was in fact alone. However when Harry opened his eyes Remus was still sat where he was before, a distant look on his face.

“Have you told anyone else this?” Remus asked in a slow faraway voice.

“No.”

“Not Ron or Hermione?” Remus asked, his eyes now focusing on Harry.

“No.”

“Are you going to?”Remus asked steadily, still not moving.

“Probably not” Harry replied expressionlessly.

“Why ever not? I think you should.” The teacher replied in a serious voice. His expression unreadable.

“I don’t want to scare them, or put them in danger…which I just did to you…I'm sorry.” He realised.

“No, don’t be sorry, I am glad you told me, it’s just a lot to take in.” Remus said firmly, “Just remember Harry your not alone.”

“I am, who else is the only one who can kill him?”

“Just because you are the only one who can vanquish him, doesn’t mean you’re alone. You can’t separate yourself from your friends, you need them.”

“But I don’t want them or anyone else to die for or because of me.”

“Harry, this power that Voldemort doesn’t know I'm rather sure it’s love. Think about it, what else could it be? You need them, Ron, Hermione and Ginny.” Harry was momentarily confused by the man’s mention of Ginny but ignored it. “Think about it Harry and we will talk about this in more detail at another point. I’m sure your friends are waiting to bombard and look after you and you look as if you are going to fall asleep and collapse in your bath.”

“So you think I should tell them?”

“As for the dream, it will help them understand why you are upset. As for the prophecy, they have a right to know when your ready of course.”

Harry thought about it for a moment then asked “What about the order, won’t they want to know what happened- with the dream?”

Remus deliberated this carefully. “They probably would like to know a reason, but understandably it is extremely personal and-”

“I don’t mind them knowing, it’s just that I don’t think I can tell them all…would you…you know…mind?”

“Ok, I will do that. If you… promise to tell your friends…both things, when you’re ready of course.”

He carefully considered this. Ron and Hermione were in trouble anyway. Everyone knew they were friends; maybe knowing the prophecy would make them go; safer away from Harry and danger.

“Fine.” Harry sighed. His stomach then rumbled loudly causing Remus to chortle and rise.
There was still something off about Remus though. He didn’t look relaxed as he was making out; he looked very tense.

“Come on Harry. I think it’s time to come out, while you don’t resemble a prune.” Remus said grabbing a towel. Remus closed his eyes and helped Harry with his pyjamas.
Harry couldn’t help but notice that since telling Remus… everything, Remus hadn’t given him a single sheer smile.










A small while later, Harry was sat up in his bed with a tray of soup on his lap. Hermione was sat on the end of his bed, Ron was sitting on the edge of the bed, near Hermione and Ginny was sat next to Harry, and to his embarrassment, feeding him again.


“So how was your bath?” Ron asked with a grin. Both girls said nothing but smiled.

“Fine” Harry said stiffly, ignoring their smirks.

He sighed heavily, “I suppose your wondering about the other night.” He said in-between mouthfuls of soup. Suppose I may as well get this over with.

The room was then silent for a moment until Hermione answered “You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to Harry.” Even though it was obvious she was curious. Ron remained silent as did Ginny, but she had momentarily stopped feeding him.

Harry swallowed audibly and then, looking down, he said “Voldemort. He took me into one of his memories- the one… were he… killed my-” Harry couldn’t say anymore but they all seemed to understand judging by their actions. Hermione practically launched herself on Harry in a fierce embrace. It was painful, but he didn’t wince. He didn’t want to make her feel bad. She was followed by Ginny, who was gentler and hugged him for nearly double the time. Ron then came over and patted him delicately.

“Are you alright Harry?” Ron asked with concern.

“Of course he is not alright, Ronald!” Hermione interrupted, sitting on Harry’s other side.

“I’m sorry, Harry” Ginny whispered in his ear. “Thank you for telling us.” She said normally before giving him a kiss on the cheek, causing her to blush slightly and Ron and Hermione to raise their eyebrows.
He still felt bad; he thought he would for well a very long time. However he felt less bad. Tiredness was now a concern as well. He tried to stay awake. Getting up had tired him, but Harry thought it may have helped.

Ginny carefully fed Harry again; he even managed some bread this time. When he finished Ron took the food tray down for him, however when he returned he was not alone. Behind him in the doorway stood none other than Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.


The wizard had the familiar winkle in his eyes, it wasn’t shinning as bright as previous times but it was definitely present. He was wearing magnificent robes of burgundy.

This was the first time Harry had seen his professor since he had tried his hardest to destroy the headmasters most prised possessions, Harry now felt quite guilty. Hermione and Ginny were still by his side. Hermione was the first to get up and smiled at Harry then went out of the door to give Dumbledore a chance to talk to Harry alone. Dumbledore bowed his head to her. Ron followed quickly behind. Ginny rose slowly clambered over him awkwardly and slightly ungracefully then gave him a sincere smile and left slowly, closing the door quietly behind her.

For a moment the room was silent and still then Dumbledore sat quietly on Ron’s pathetically made bed and looked at Harry. Harry would have found the image of the usually so neat professor sitting on Ron’s abysmally made sheets.

Harry felt the feeling like he was being x-rayed and then came out with what was most on his mind. “Sir, I think I owe you an apology, for last term and your office-” Harry began in a quiet voice when he was interrupted.

“The fault belongs with me Harry.” Dumbledore said in an equally quiet voice, staring squarely into Harry’s eyes, although he had the feeling Dumbledore was deliberately not looking at Harry’s body. Harry was silent again, not really sure how to respond, but the tone of his headmaster’s voice told Harry Dumbledore would not permit him to argue or disagree.


“Can you tell me what happened over the summer, before you were taken here?” Although it has phrased as a question Harry knew it was not. The headmaster looked… sad. Harry didn’t know why but didn’t have too much energy to try and find out.


Harry was silent for a few minutes, not knowing what to say and where to start. Harry had not honestly told anyone-ever- about the true Dursleys and how he was treated. Harry knew it wasn’t really that important and that he had to have stayed there, otherwise he would be an extremely spoilt arrogant boy, an image of Draco Malfoy suddenly popped into his head.

“I don’t remember much professor.” Harry said lamely not meeting his eyes, although there was some truth in it because Harry had woken up sometimes with no recollection of being there before. Harry heard him sigh deeply and the room was quiet again.

“I went to Privet drive the morning after Remus and Nymphadora brought you here, your aunt and uncle eventually told me that you would kick and scream in your sleep every night without mistake and that you would wake you without memory of it. They also said they believed you hurt or hit yourself in your sleep and clutched your head. Do you agree with this accusation?”

“I… yeah…probably…I saw Voldemort most nights, I think. Sir, why…did I see him so much? Was it because I can’t do occlum-” Harry said changing the conversation.


“No, I believe Lord Voldemort was gaining pleasure and power, somewhat, from your emotions.” Dumbledore said quietly.

“Lucius Malfoy has broken out of Azkaban hasn’t he?”

“Yes, I am afraid so, along with a small number of others. Earlier on I had a meeting with Cornelius, he refuses to publically announce their escape, in fear it will worry the public and discredit him, I presume.”

The room was silent again; Harry felt a surge of disappointment that Azkaban had been semi- cleared.

“How are you feeling Harry?”

Why did everyone keep asking him that?

“Fine” Harry replied without hesitation. Although he noticed his professor’s eyes didn’t have their trademark twinkle. He sincerely hoped his lie was believable; he had been using it so much, he hoped it was still working.

Dumbledore didn’t seem to remotely believe this, but seemed not to argue, “Term starts in two days time, I said last year it was a mistake I didn’t teach you occlumency so I will have private lessons with you, in which I shall teach you so as well as discussing some other matters, which we shall divulge then.” He said vaguely, glancing towards the door.

Harry nodded, only stopping seconds later, realising it hurt his head. “What’s happening with Voldemort?” Harry asked.

“The ministry has, at last, released news of his return, but he appears to be inconspicuous for the time being by not making an appearance, but there has been a noticeable increase in the number of unexplained disappearances and unsolved murders.” Dumbledore replied gravely.


Neither said anything else but the atmosphere was still tense. Harry felt better he was not being kept in the dark like last year, but still felt quite alone. Taking in account he was Voldemort’s biggest target, he wondered how many people were going to die because of him, he effetely had future in his hands. How many people were going to die until he was ready?


“Harry, I do not believe you will have to do anything this year, you’re not ready yet, it’s not time.” Dumbledore said, knowing where Harry thoughts were and where they were headed.

“I have to be.” Harry responded blankly, not meeting Dumbledore’s eyes.

Dumbledore surveyed him, “You will be, just not yet.”

“Well help me be, how do I get ready?” Harry said irritably.

Dumbledore had a knowing expression on his face and a slight twinkle in his eyes. “Give it time Harry.”

What did he know? Harry wondered.

“Harry, if you will excuse me, I have to return to Hogwarts, and I do not want to prevent Molly from her effort of adding bulk to your frame.” Dumbledore smiled slightly at Harry’s blush and then bowed and left.


Ron and Hermione returned as did Mrs. Weasley complete with a warm bowl of treacle tart. Harry managed to feed himself whilst being watched by his friends.

“Private lessons with Dumbledore.” Ron said in astonishment.

Hermione looked excited but curious at the same time, “Oh, Harry, I wonder what he’ll teach you.”

“Maybe it’ll be really advanced magic.” Ron said awe in his voice.

Hermione studied Harry quietly, “I wonder why, I mean, why now, not years ago.” Why did she always as the right questions, or the wrong ones.

Harry just filled his mouth with food so he couldn’t comment, Ron had helped himself to some of Harry’s pudding, “Well, you-know-who is like properly back now isn’t he?”


“Hmmm, I suppose.” Hermione said pensively.

Both friends stayed until Harry had fallen asleep, which was a mere matter of minutes. Hermione left for her room, Ron went to shower before returning and filling the room with his snores.




A.N. Hope you enjoyed it. Quite a short chapter, finished it quickly, all the while well listening to owl city and second-hand serenade, I felt in a mellow-ish music mood. In the next one its time for Hogwarts. Please review and let me know what you think it would make me really happy. Lately I have developed this bad habit of squealing aloud when I see another review, before I have even read it to know if it is a good- I’m really enjoying the story- review or… well… a review filled with criticism.
Hope to hear from you
Claire xx
Sign up to rate and review this story