Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Playhouse

Wide Awake and Breathing

by Wicked_Lovely 4 reviews

Life and death, will always lead you into love and regret.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-10-27 - Updated: 2011-10-28 - 1901 words - Complete

0Unrated
Spencer rested with his head on Jon's stomach, talking mindlessly about things that didn't mean anything to the older boy. In all honesty, he was just happy to have the company. So he listened; he listened to Spencer talk about his adopted family, his friends, how he was going to University, all of the little things that made up his life. Spencer never spoke a word about Jon; he never mentioned his cold skin, the way his eyes looked, or how his heart didn't beat. They were little things that didn't seem to bother him in any way. Time seemed to be at a stand-still as the twp boys stared at the starry ceiling, admiring the tiny silver lights in a calm stillness. For Jon, the only sounds in the room were that of Spencer's voice and heart; two steady rhythms that told him he wasn't completely alone; but rather they were alone in their own world of his design.
"Jon?" Spencer's voice was soft and tired, his eyes closed as he held onto Jon's cold hand.
"Hmm?" Jon looked at Spencer, using his free hand to push stray strands of light brown hair out of the younger boys face. He didn't know why but it seemed that he was growing attached to the blue-eyes wonder he had in his arms.
"What happened to you? Like, what did that man do?" Spencer re-positioned himself so he could look in Jon's dark eyes, trying desperately to read the other boys expression.
"I suppose I got changed, into a creature of sorts. No longer living, but not yet dead." Spencer stared at him for a few seconds before speaking once more.
"What does it feel like?"
Jon thought for a moment, his voice soft and dark as he chose the perfect words to describe it. "Like you're falling. It's almost as if you jumped off of a bridge to fall into a river; the bridge is life, the river death, and your falling, waiting for that moment when you hit the water. But it's not there. You can never reach the river below."
"Does it hurt?" Jon smiled at Spencer, whose voice sounded cautious.
To this, Jon replied, "No."
"What would you call yourself?" Spencer looked as if he regretted the question the moment it started to come past his lips, but Jon didn't seem to mind at all. He had asked himself the same question a million times over, and always came up with the same answer.
"I don't know. Why?" Spencer looked tired and he shut his eyes, resting his head on his two arms on Jon's chest.
"I think you're a vampire." Jon stayed silent for a minute as he let Spencer's soft words sink in.
"Like the kind that kill humans?" Jon asked the question, only to find that Spencer had already fallen asleep. His breathing deep, his heartbeat slowed. In that silence all Jon could hear was the sound of the blood that pulsed through every vein in Spencer's body, and the word that echoed in his ears.

Ryan stood outside his place of work, pulling out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Letting it dangle between his lips, he slid down the brick wall behind him, sitting on the wet pavement before having his head fall in his hands. He was almost too tired to think, every minute was a fight to stay awake. He had been like this for over a week now, taking almost every break he had to drift off for a few minutes before coming back to do more work or waking up because of a nightmare.
He had spent all of his time away from work sitting next to Spencer's hospital bed, waiting for him to wake up, talking to him to force himself to stay awake. The doctors all said that the chances of Spencer waking up was next to none. The thought did nothing to console Ryan, who was already in a weak state of mind thanks to the fight he had with Brendon. He hadn't had the chance to try and apologize. In fact, he hadn't even seen Brendon since the first day Spencer was in hospital.
Giving a soft sigh, he rose from his spot on the concrete. He took one last, long drag of his cigarette before flicking it on the ground, stepping on it and twisting his foot to turn out the small red embers. He walked back into his work, timing out before walking down the street.

Spencer woke up in a completely white room. He let his eyes open slightly, taking in the white walls and the window that had white paint over it. The flower vase set delicately on the pure white vanity, the flowers painted a harsh white. For a moment he was all too confused as to his whereabouts. And then the memories of the night before flooded back to him and he smiled, pulling the blinding white sheets off of him so he could wander over to the shinning white door. A foul stench overcame him as he walked to the door; the smell matching that of rotted meat, a dash of asbestos and formaldehyde. He ignored it as he continued on to the door, trying to hide the fact that he could visibly smell it getting worse and worse with every step he made.
The let his hand capture the pure white door handle, turning it before pushing the wood door open so it would moan on it's hinges. On the other side was Jon, seated on the floor so that Spencer could mostly see his back, and only a tiny sliver of his face. Around the room were dead rodents, their blood dripped onto the dusty tiled floor along with their innards. Jon sat there, his mouth to one of their backs as blood dripped down his pale chin. A hand flew up to Spencer's mouth to catch himself from gasping, the other still clutching the door handle. This made Jon stop, his head slowly rising and turning to face the younger boy.
Jon licked his stained red lips with his blooded tongue, wiping stray beads of blood that dripped down his chin with the back of his now un-gloved hand. "I suppose you want to leave now." Spencer bit his bottom lip, staring at the other boy for a few seconds. His deep and dark eyes watched his every movement, boring into him to see what Spencer was thinking.
"No. I don't want to leave. At least, not yet." Spencer spoke the words slowly, almost as if he was still debating saying them aloud or not. Jon looked socked before his face turned into that of confusion and the rested on being entirely pleased.
"Really?" Spencer gave a short nod and a grin spread across Jon's face. "I think you were right about me, Spencer." Spencer sat down next to Jon, crossing his legs and leaning against the older boy.
"Yeah, I figured." Spencer breathed the words, having Jon move the hair from his face and neck. His fingertips brushed the pulsing vein on Spencer's neck, resting on it as he stared down at the temptation. "But I don't think you'll hurt me. You seem far too nice." Spencer moved so he was smiling up at Jon, getting a grin filled with a childlike splendor right back at him.

The hospital was almost completely empty, but Ryan figured it was because of the time. You really don't want to be walking around a hospital in the middle of the night. It's one of the creepiest damn things ever. The windows had no light past the street lamps coming into the building, and the florescent lights hanging from the ceiling seemed dim and flickered with each step Ryan made. There were a few nurses walking around here and there, half of them having heavy amounts of blood on their scrubs. It made Ryan sick. He hated hospitals. He hated them more than anything in the world. It brought back all of the memories of his father. Of his life when his only family member was alive, and all of the torture that he had put him through.
Ryan pressed on, moving through the halls as he tried to ignore his empty stomach wanting to throw up the smoke from the cigarettes he had been using for food. He found Spencer's room, collapsing into the chair next to his bed. "Why do you have to keep sleeping Spence?" He went silent for a few minutes, staring at his friends still face. There was no acknowledgement in it. No face contortions, no twitch of one of his long fingers, just stillness.
"Do you remember, when my dad died, and you told me that life wasn't a fairy tale? That sometimes bad things happened to good people, and other times things never had a happy ending?" Ryan leaned against the bed, resting his head next to Spencer's still body. "I don't want you to end up like that Spencer. You're my only friend." He looked at Spencer's closed eyes, wishing once more that they would open. "Please just wake up."
Ryan fell asleep like that, practically curled up on Spencer. He was awoken an hour later, when the steady beat of Spencer's heart monitor went out of control. It went from being calm and soothing to being erratic and almost unidentifiable. Nurses came flooding in, and despite the change in atmosphere, Spencer still didn't wake. It wasn't until the last nurse flooded through the door that Spencer's eyes shot open, a piercing scream coming past his lips.
Everything else was silent as it echoed through the halls.


~~~~~

TheAnonymous:Why thank you. It should get pretty good, and I am hoping that you will keep on liking it even as the plot thickens and unfolds.

XxPerfectTomorrowxX:But it's the update after this that will really put you on the edge of your seat. Trust me, it's going to get ridiculously intense.

patdfan01:That's so kind of you to say, I'm glad you're liking it.

AnotherKnifeInMyHand:For some odd reason, I really love this story. I think that's why everyone else is also enjoying it, because I myself really like it.
So, I'm happy to hear you're excited to read the next installment. I myself am happy to write it when I get time. It's going to be shocking.


Okay, I'm putting my authors note down here today. So first thing's first; I really want to have this oneshot that I'm working on to be finished by October 31, but I don't think that's going to work out since I have zero time and have hardly started on it. But, what I really wanted to do was a cute fluffy Rydon/Ryden/Joncer oneshot on the day when the world's population reaches 7 billion.
Wouldn't that just be amazing?
But since I don't think I'll be able to do it in time, then I'm just going to tell you now that it's what I wanted to do. And if I get time then I will try to get it up before it happens, though I'm sure I won't be able to.
So, happy Halloween, and I want you all to know that I think you're one in 7 billion. (Individually, of course.)
-xoxo Pansy.
Oh yeah, and my birthday is on the 31. So, that's cool.
Sign up to rate and review this story