Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and Unfamiliar Power

Chapter Eleven-Shadows

by claire13524 1 review

Just when you thought it couldn't get any darker... BAM.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2011-10-30 - Updated: 2011-10-30 - 3417 words

5Insightful
Chapter Eleven-Shadows.


Almost simultaneously from falling asleep Harry found himself in a dream again. He was sitting in Malfoy manner again. He/ Voldemort were in a different room this time. A big round table was in the centre of the room. The ceiling of the room was so high and the room so dark, that it couldn’t be seen. The room was dirty and musty. A large assembly of people were sat around the handsome mahogany table; Voldemort was at the head. Harry recognised some of the people; Nott, Crabbe, McNair, Bellatrix, Wormtail. Some others he didn’t recognise. Nagini was slithering along the table making a few of the death eaters uncomfortable. Her fangs were visible; dry blood plastered them.
Everyone around the table was silent. Harry thought they looked like they were waiting for something.
Voldemort then spoke, “Death eaters, I would like to start by informing you Fudge cannot deny it anymore, we are in complete control of the dementors; it will be in tomorrow’s prophet.”
Several of the followers cheered. A look from Voldemort silenced them.
“The ministry is in destruction. Fudge is running to Dumbledore more frequently than previously. Dumbledore’s order has stopped trusting the ministry but the rest are relying on it more than ever. I shall take over the ministry shortly when it’s lost its usefulness.”
No death eaters commented on it they seemed at a loss as to what to say on response. Harry saw that some death eaters looked less pleased than others. Wormtail in particular.
“Also you won’t know, but I have sent Severes and…Lucius on a mission at the ministry, they are due to return impedingly.
Voldemort seemed pleased and happy as he was quiet again and looked happily at the door. At that point a scream came from down below; Harry presumed it was from the dungeons. Voldemort laughed a high mercifulness laugh.
“Wormtail, bring our newest guest to me.” Wormtail leapt up at once and walked as quickly as possible out of one of the side doors. Several of the followers shifted nervously as the screaming got louder and nearer. Most of the followers, however, laughed or cackled. Wormtail was then back at the door, his figure partially hidden by shadows, his wand clutched tightly in his chubby fist. In his other he was holding a chain and attacked to the other end was a woman. She was in her late- twenties. She had the appearance of someone who had not eaten in a very long time. Voldemort watched gleefully as she was dropped at his feet.
“Ahh… How nice to see you, I believe your husband should be joining us shortly” Voldemort said plainly. Harry could feel Voldemort’s sheer delight, it felt sickening to Harry.
“Noo” The woman screamed and started to trash under the chains tried around her. She looked very frail and as though she hadn’t seen the light in some time.
“Silencio” Voldemort said slightly irritably. Harry sensed Voldemort was becoming impatient.
There was then a loud band and yelling out behind the door which Voldemort’s eyes had flickered intently back and forth from. Voldemort stood quickly; the woman at the bottom of his robes had silent tears dripping down her face and was shaking slightly.
The door opened as Voldemort fired his wand at it. Snape and Lucius and a man entered. Snape and Lucius had disarmed the man. He looked severely beaten as he looked in recognition at the woman lying on the floor.
“Ahh…I see you have found your wife, those must have been an agonising last four days, I expect you are quite relived she is alive…for now anyway.” Voldemort said walking towards Voldemort, Harry was reminded of the way an animal stalked their prey before they caught it.
“What do you want from us?” He man asked, he would have sounded quite confident is it weren’t for the way his voice shook.
Voldemort ignored him and looked towards the two standing. “Well?” Voldemort said clearly, looking angrily at them.
“My lord, forgive me for making you wait longer than agreed. It took a while because Percy Weasley got in the way, asking our business for being there, and Lucius made a rather long winded excuse.” Severes Snape said clearly, returning his wand to his robe pocket. Voldemort looked over at Lucius.
“Forgive me…m-m-m-y lord.” Voldemort just stared t him in disgust.
“You are excused Lucius.” Voldemort said turning away, back to the two tied prisoners. Snape sat down at the table and Lucius left at the watchful eyes of the table; his wife looked the other way, concentrating very hard.
“Now to those of you who do not know this is Croaker. He is an unspeakable at the ministry and has been for nearly the last 17 years.”
The man Croaker caught eyes with his wife they both exchanged a meaningful stare as though they had been expecting this.
“Now when Croaker, here, was new he made a big mistake of being in the wrong place at the wrong time or the right place at the right time, in our case. You see, he was working late one night; the night of my downfall incidentally enough. When I had gone, the prophecy concerning myself and another boy was changed. The name of Harry Potter was inscribed onto it. And Croaker here was made to remove the enchantments protecting it as he put Potter’s name on it. So I think he knows more about the contents of the prophecy than he is meant it.” Voldemort said as he circled around the two people on the floor.
The death eaters all had surprise on their faces, then to be replaced by grotesque smiles.
“I cannot tell you it” Croaker said, more confidently, but also carefully.
“Yes, I suppose you would resemble Bode if you did, your old friend I believe.” Voldemort said as casually as if he was disguising the weather. “I wonder your response if I were to say I was not going to make you tell it to me.” Voldemort finished plainly, taking his seat.
The wife and husband exchanged glances; they were knowing glances Harry noted. In fact the man, Croaker, seemed to all ready know what Voldemort wanted to do.
“It shall not work” The man responded, meeting Voldemort’s eyes. He appeared to already know Voldemort’s plans.
Voldemort appeared calm, but Harry could feel his annoyance at the man’s peacefulness and Voldemort’s hate filled curiosity.
“What won’t work, then Croaker?” Voldemort said, although it was phrased as a question, Harry knew it wasn’t. The man then closed his eyes and breathed slowly. Harry felt sorry for this man; he looked as though he had accepted something. Through out his arrival his eyes hadn’t strayed from his wife or Lord Voldemort; not even towards the door or his eager audience.
“Legimens” Croaker replied calmly. His wife was shivering slightly but looked into his eyes and smiled slightly.
Voldemort smiled falsely and looked around at his death eaters who laughed and jeered as if on queue at the man’s obvious incompetence, “Why won’t that work then?”
“Employees of the Department of Mysteries are forbidden from discussing their jobs or disclosing any information about their department. We are forbidden with the promise of instantaneous curses; I would suffer insanity at the least before you could find the memory.”
“No, at the hand of an ordinary wizard performing occlumency you would die before the memory was found, but I am not an ordinary wizard.”
“No” The man replied slowly “your worse.”
“Well we shall find out, won’t we? But in case you need more…motivation.” Voldemort said simultaneously as he flicked his wand and the woman was lying at his feet, Nagini slithered closer and circled her, hissing enthusiastically.
The man breathed heavily but shook his head.
“No?” Voldemort said with a sneer, the table laughed readily. “Well then I suppose we should just dispose of her. Nagini, dinner.” Voldemort finished as he watched the man who was staring blankly into his eyes.
Harry fond it sickening to watch the snake devour the woman. She didn’t make a sound. As if not to give anyone more incentive. Crimson Blood was flowing freely on the floor towards the husband’s feet. Pleasure was evident in Lord Voldemort’s eyes. The only sound that could be heard was the snake and the breaking of bones and the woman’s horse breathes as they got slowed. Within mere minutes the snake was curling up happily on the floor beneath the table. Several death eaters shifted uncomfortably.
“Legimens.” Voldemort said breaking the silence. As he did this, the only action the man did was let a sorry traitor tear drip down his face.
The company was thoroughly silent. Some had stood to either get a better look; or to escape the snake that was hissing and watching from under the magnificent table.
The man appeared to be trying to block him but his eyes rolling in the back of his head was a clear indication it wasn’t successful.
Voldemort had beads of sweat of his forehead as he realised the man, who fell to the floor dully, Nagini then slinked over to the body of the man. Voldemort walked barefoot through the blood.
His eyes gleaming wildly

As Harry awoke his scar was burning more painfully than ever before. The pain felt excruciating. With his last ounce of self control Harry cast a silencing charm of his bed so none of the boys in the room could hear his screams. He was familiar with what the cruciatus curse felt like, to familiar he sometimes thought. This pain, Voldemort’s delight hurt more painfully than he could have ever imagined. Deep inside Harry didn’t know what was worse this pain or the fact that Voldemort now knew the entire contents on the prophecy.
Harry felt like he was drowning in the pain. It was like it was wrapping around his limbs like changing fabric pulling his body in all directions. Harry briefly thought of his friends and the pain was over. His covers were at the foot of his bed. Darkness filled the room. As Harry got out of bed it felt like the whole of his body was bruised and battered. He also felt half dazed as he pushed on his glasses and got his wand, marauders map and debated whether to bring his invisibility cloak or not; he decided he didn’t need it if he was bringing the map.
When he was down in the common room it was empty as expected as the clock on the wall told him it was nearly quarter to one in the early morning. Harry also decided to go straight to Dumbledore rather than waiting, after hadn’t last time Dumbledore said it didn’t matter what the time.
The map showed Filch wandering around the second floor corridor and Mrs. Norris was at his feet, Harry momentarily found this unusual as usually she roamed on her own. Harry also checked as to where Snape was lurking; it was safe he was in his quarters. Harry made sure the route was clear; it was so he cleared the map and put it back in his pyjama pocket. Then he made his way for Dumbledore’s office.
The corridors were empty and quiet. As he passed the many portraits on the wall he noticed they were also all asleep. The corridors were also completely free of ghosts, even of Peeves, which was rather strange. Harry could see a full moon shining brightly through a passing window. The candles were dimly lit and so Harry couldn’t see more than a few feet, but he had his wand out in his hand so he felt safe as he walked through the lonely hallways.
As Harry was nearing the end of the corner, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up and he couldn’t see an open window anywhere. Hs hand was moving towards his pocket for his map as he walked straight into something around the corner. He was knocked backwards to the floor, his hand tightened on his wand. The thing he walked into then said “Hasn’t anyone told you not to wander around the school at night.” It was Professor Desdemona. Unlike Harry he was standing statue still as if a pupil hadn’t just walked head first into him.
Harry jumped straight up, his hand ready. “Er…I wanted to see professor Dumbledore, Sir.”
The teacher had a long black cloak on, his hood was up and completely covered his face, and Harry couldn’t see the man’s hands which put him on edge. Harry then thought about how vulnerable he would be now; he couldn’t even see more than a metre away as the corridor was so dark, “At this time? Why now? Not morning? Surely it can wait.”
“No, it’s important.”
“What is it then? I’ll pass it on” It might have been his imagination but Harry thought it sounded as if the professor was fishing for information.
“It’s private, Sir.” Harry replied plainly, his tone clear he had no intention of telling the professor.
“Very well” the teacher responded. Neither person had moved. They were both positioned so Harry could only make out a silhouette whereas Desdemona could see him perfectly; his face, his wand. “You are going to have to see him later today as he had an urgent owl from Cornelius Fudge and left.” Harry felt quite alone and was feeling oddly self conscious. His mind went back to his first year when the headmaster also had an important owl and had to leave just when Harry needed him most.
“How do you know?” Harry asked quickly, determined to go anyway, just to check.
“I was just there; I am on my way back now as it happens.”
“At this time?” Harry asked again, wondering if he was pushing his luck slightly by questioning the DADA teacher.
“Yes”, came the response without hesitation. Harry thought the tone sounded different this time, as if he was amused? “Now, Mr.Potter, I suggest you go to your dormitory as Mr. Filch is headed this way”
Harry nodded and unwillingly turned his back on the professor as it hit him, “How do you know tha-”, he asked the empty space. The hallway was vacant. Harry got out his wand, “Lumos”, there was no one anywhere. Even Harry knew he couldn’t walk the length of the passage that fast. If Desdemona had been on his way back from Dumbledore’s then he should have walked the same way as Harry was going now.
Harry walked swiftly back to the common room portrait hole and gave the password (Carpe Diem) to a very annoyed fat lady. The door opened to Harry finding Ginny and Hermione in the common room. They were sat in the sofas near the fire, watching the dying embers. They must have been talking about something secret as they were whispering intently as Harry walked in, all though it may have been that they hadn’t expected anyone to come in at the late hour.
“Harry!” Hermione said as she jumped up. Both girls were in their dressing gowns. Judging by Hermione’s hair she had been asleep not to long ago. Ginny’s however was shoved up into a messy high ponytail. She smiled at him.
Harry came and sat on a chair near the two girls. “Hey.” He said lamely.
“Why-”Hermione began.
Harry not wanting her to voice all her questions simultaneously at him, interrupted, “Voldemort dream, went to go see Dumbledore”
“What happened in the dream?”
“Oh” Harry still hadn’t told them about the prophecy and he really didn’t want to get into it now, “It doesn’t matter.”
“Harry,-” She was about to argue, Ginny also looked as if she disagreed with the statement.
“No the annoying thing was Desdemona was there, in the corner of the corridor in the dark, so I couldn’t ask Dumbledore”
“Why couldn’t you ask Dumbledore, you could have just asked him to move surely” Ginny asked, leaning around Hermione to watch his response.
“No he said Dumbledore had gone”
“Have you got your map with you?” Hermione asked, Harry got it out and gave it to her in confusion. She took it quickly and her eyes searched it rapidly. Ginny just looked at it over Hermione’s shoulder, her brow mirrored Harry’s in confusion. “Well, Dumbledore certainly isn’t gone now; he is sat in his office. Harry did you look at this when Desdemona said he wasn’t there.”
Was Harry hearing her right? Did she not believe a teacher? “No.”
“Hmmm, I think…I am not sure if he was telling the truth.”She said quietly.
“Why would he lie?” Ginny asked.
Hermione didn’t take her eyes of the map, “I don’t know.”
The teenagers were then silent again, all thinking. Why wouldn’t Desdemona want Harry going to see Dumbledore? In all this he completely forgot about the prophecy and Voldemort. “So why are you both down here?”
Hermione looked briefly over at Ginny, before rolling the map up and giving it back to Harry, “Oh, we both couldn’t.” Hermione didn’t meet his eyes and Harry thought she wasn’t being entirely truthful.
“We only need Ron down here and we have a full house.” Harry said quietly. Hermione sighed and Ginny smiled. Judging by her expression Harry thought she was rather touched at being mentioned. Hermione looked ready to fall asleep but Ginny still looked wide awake.
“So what were you talking about before I arrived.” Harry asked curiously.
Both girls stiffened slightly and looked at each other, Harry couldn’t see their expressions but was sure they were giving each other a meaningful stare.
“Oh, Erm-” Hermione began, her face seemed blank, Harry guessed she found it difficult to think quickly when she was tired.
“Voldemort” Ginny said unconvincingly with a smile, which clearly said she wouldn’t even believe herself.
“Sure” Harry replied with a smile.
“I am going to go up to bed” Hermione said getting up, yawning.
“Yeah I should probably go to” Harry said, doing the same.
Ginny also rose. Hermione said her goodnight and left, and as Harry was leaving for his dorm he heard “Harry?”
“Ginny?”
“You don’t have the slightest intention of sleeping do you?”
“No. You?”
“No.” She said with another smile as she also left for her bed.
It seemed as though they had reached an understanding, they both were having trouble sleeping, it felt reassuring knowing someone else was awake, he thought as he, without meaning to, fell into a completely dreamless sleep. His body sprawled across the top of his unmade bed. His wand and map still in his hand.

A.N. Here it is. Hope it was ok. Must confess I completely forgot what i was going to be about until I read my last A.N. Might do Quidditch or Hogsmeade in my next chapter, i'm still deciding. Ok, I give in if anyone wants to help me and beta my story, it would be great (as would another review hint hint) Half term is over tomorrow so don’t expect another chapter until next week or two, I’ll try to post every Sunday-ish so I have a week to type it,but next cahpter shouldn't be until a while because i have a maths exam coming up.

**UPDATE*** Ok my maths exam went well( I think) I am in process of writing the next chapter its only about 3 pages long so give me time. If anyone wants to beta email me claire13524@hotmail.co.uk As you can tell i really like the numbers 13524 :)
Should maybe have it done by the weekend- although reviewing this story will certainly speed up the time it takes me. (HINT HINT) People seem to like it so far- this chapter had 79 views altogether when i last checked 3 minutes ago. Sorry for how long its taking me but i have a lot of history course work- so yeah. Bye ********

OK NEW CHAPTER COMING TOMORROW !!! PROMISE :D
Sign up to rate and review this story