Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Separation and Reunion

So Long, Too Long

by brynn_parker 1 review

...

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Alphonse Elric, Edward Elric, Elysia Hughes, Envy, Gracia Hughes, Izumi Curtis, Pinako Rockbell, Riza Hawkeye, Rose Tomas, Roy Mustang, Winry Rockbell - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-06-13 - Updated: 2006-06-14 - 2604 words

2Moving
Separation and Reunion

Chapter 9: So Long, Too Long

----

Listening to: "Come Around Again" - Jet

----

Roy couldn't believe what he was seeing.

He'd thought that one of them would end up dead...never had he thought he'd see them both together, in the flesh.

The Elric brothers.

Of course, Ed was now taller than Al...which was bizarre. Ed was taller than a lot of people now.

Roy had only seen pictures of Al when he had his body, and this was a shock as well. It was amazing that they looked exactly the same as they had all those years ago.

Except that now, Ed was about nine years older than Al.

Ed gave Roy a grin the minute he saw him before giving him a less-than-dignified hug. It was amazing that he could detach himself from Winry long enough to embrace anyone else, but he quickly went around the room, reuniting with everyone. Al followed behind the couple, and Ed glanced back every few minutes with an overjoyed look in his eyes to see his brother back the way he should've been. Roy was too shocked to even ask how he'd gotten back, and didn't want to ruin the moment anyway. There would be time enough for that...

The Fullmetal Alchemist was back.

----

Annaliese Hilliard hummed to herself as she put up some books in her father's magic library. The journal that Edward had had in his keeping until his disappearance was on the front desk, waiting to be shelved again.

Her father told her what she'd already guessed herself: that Edward had probably gone back to Amestris and was back with his loved ones again. Annaliese couldn't help but be a little jealous of that girl, Winry...Ed hadn't been like the other men she'd met; he'd always been kind and considerate, not arrogant and demeaning to her. At the same time she felt happy...she looked forward to find someone who belonged here.

"Annaliese..."

Annaliese jumped, glancing behind her shoulder and frowning. The shop was quiet in the room outside, the lamps lighting it warmly. She walked out into the empty bookstore with her lamp, looking around. "Hello?" she said, surprised to hear her voice trembling.

"Where is he Annaliese?"

She turned again, dropping her lamp. Whatever it was, the voice came from behind the desk. She stayed where she was, looking at the desk cautiously. "Who are you!" she said, frowning. Her hands shook as she backed up and took up her coat, opening the door quietly.

A ghostly white hand took hold of the far side of the desk and Annaliese took another step back.

Violet eyes rose above the wooden surface, sharp teeth flashed, and ebony hair glinted in the small amount of lamplight left.

"Where is Edward Elric?"

Annaliese ran out of the door and slammed it shut behind her before running down the street back to her house.

----

"Ed?"

Ed turned around to look at Winry. He was about to leave her room and go to bed; his hand was on the doorknob already, ready to open the door.

"Yeah, Winry?" he said, smiling. He'd missed her so much...but Pinako had told him that Winry needed space, and that he should leave her alone tonight. No matter how much he wanted to be with her, Winry needed space and time to adjust.

"Stay with me..." she murmured, "I know Pinako told you to give me time...but I need you more than anything else."

He took off his boots and placed them by the door before walking back to Winry's bed and lying down facing her. She reached out an arm and wrapped it around him, staring into those unusual golden eyes she thought she'd never see again. "I want to tell you everything."

"You don't have to...it's fine."

"Rose told me that you didn't tell her to tell me anything," Winry said, biting her lip but still staring him straight in the eyes, "You know, before you..."

"Winry, my brother had just died...what else was I going to do?"

"It's alright Ed..."

"My brother died to save me...and I had to finish what I'd started...I was crazy with grief..."

"I know how that feels," she said, using her free hand to take his flesh one, "But it's over and done with now...nothing we can do to change the past."

Ed's eyes slid away from hers. He was ashamed to admit that he hadn't been thinking of her, but all that had been on his mind was Al. Suddenly he thought of the baby...what she would've looked like if she'd made it. He reached towards Winry's stomach hesitantly, making eye contact with her again. "May I?"

Winry nodded, guiding his hand to her stomach. Her shirt had slid up a little to where he could feel her soft flesh. His hand met with small cuts all over her skin, and finally a large cut with stitches in it. She winced as he ran his hand along it, and he pulled back quickly.

Winry let out a deep breath. "That's where they took the baby out," she said quietly, taking his hand again. "She was just about ready...if I'd have waited a few more weeks..."

He moved his head closer to where their foreheads touched, his face in shadow. "Winry, don't," he said firmly, "It's not your fault...please, don't blame yourself. Blame me if you have to blame anyone."

"No..." she said. She realized that he was actually crying, and she lifted the hand on his shoulder to brush away his tears. "I guess...I guess there's really no one to blame."

Kissing her softly and then pulling away to smile at her, he wrapped bother arms around her. "Good."

Her eyes started to glisten before she pulled his mouth back to hers passionately, her hands going to the hem of his shirt. Kisses moved from her mouth to her neck before...

"Brother?"

Ed sat up straight, blushing furiously. Luckily, Al couldn't see much in the moonlight. Winry sat up as well, the same expression on her face.

"Yeah, Al?" Ed said, his voice hoarse.

"I was wondering why you hadn't come to me and Aunty's room to sleep...uh...would you mind if I stayed in here with you guys?"

Ed smiled and looked over at Winry before lifting up the covers to make room for Al. Al grinned widely and crawled in between them. It was just like old times...except now these people were more like his parents than his brother and sister.

Little did Al know that just as Al was thinking this, Ed and Winry were wishing that it was their little baby girl between them.

----

It seemed even worse to see it in the daylight; the stark reality of little Trisha's death weighed heavily on both of her parents, staring at her grave the next morning. Pinako watched them anxiously from the house, barely even able to see their figures from where she stood making breakfast for the guests. Roy and Riza had already arrived back from the inn, and everyone was impatient to talk to Ed. Pinako had a hard time holding them back from stampeding all over the poor boy.

"Aunty?"

Pinako looked away from the window to see Ed standing there looking at her. He was tall for his age...already as tall as the old woman. Just as it had been all those years ago.

"Yes, Al?" she said, looking back to the window.

"I know that brother and Winry's baby died...but why hasn't he been spending much time with me?"

Pinako sighed. "You know that your brother loves you, Al," she said, "He just needs time to work things out with Winry. I think he's worried that she won't love him anymore if he doesn't spend time with her."

"But we know Winry couldn't stop loving him."

"Oh, everyone does," Pinako said, letting out a long breath, "It's just that Winry has been very different lately; you know that perfectly well."

Al nodded before leaving the kitchen, and Pinako left the window to bring some pancakes to the table.

----

"It's so small," Ed said quietly, "So many flowers."

Winry just stared at her daughter's grave with a sad look on her face; as if she'd already used up all of her tears. "We weren't ready to be parents anyway," she said, trying to make it alright.

"Still miss her though," Ed said, kneeling down to put his own flower on the grave. He still wore his white shirt and black slacks from the other side of the gate, and the apparel already seemed strange to him. This was so much his home that he had just returned to fit right back in to the puzzle.

"Ed?"

"Yes, Winry?"

She kneeled down next to him, running her hand over their child's name affectionately. "Do you think we'll have another chance at this?"

He looked over at her. "You mean...?"

"Yes."

"Winry, I promised you I'd stay with you forever after I found the stone," Ed said, taking her hand. She smiled, anticipating what he was going to say. "Come on, let's go."

She hadn't been expecting that, but he glanced back at her, laughing, before leading her down the hill and to the river. Getting down on one knee, he took her hand.

Now she knew what he was going to say.

"I don't have diamonds or anything...but...here." He let go of her hand and clapped his own together before reaching down and drawing a small stone ring out of the ground. "Winry Rockbell...will you marry me?"

She rolled her eyes and Ed grinned, glad to see a sign that the old Winry was still in there somewhere. "Of course I will, moron."

----

Meanwhile, Roy had something similar on his mind back at the house as he sat back in his chair at the dining table, smiling at Riza...

For so many years, she had always been there for him, standing up for him, protecting him, supporting him, and inspiring him to do his best. He'd had feelings for her for the longest time, and now, for the first time ever, he was able to do something about it with his freedom from the military.

With all the tragedy, he hadn't thought to buy a ring. All that had been on his mind since he'd woken up to see Riza there in the hospital with him was that he wanted to be with this amazing woman for the rest of his life, and yet he hadn't had a good place to propose. Now, with so much joy at Ed's return, maybe...

"Breakfast, anyone?" Pinako said as she walked out of the kitchen carrying two plates with heaps of pancakes on them. That ancient woman's strength was astonishing...

"Yes please!" Al said, immediately piling four pancakes onto his own plate. Everyone took their share and Roy was burst out of his thoughts by the clanking of forks.

"Roy, you want some coffee?" Riza asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Hmm...yes, thank you," he said as she handed him a cup. He frowned. "What's so funny?"

"I asked you that question about five times," Riza said, clearly amused, "What are you thinking of?"

He laughed. "Again, what do you think?" he said. It wasn't the right time for this.

Everyone quieted down when Al sprung up from the table with the customary shout. Ed and Winry had just gotten back from Trisha's grave, and they looked extremely happy considering where they'd just been.

Pinako smiled up at them. "Breakfast?"

----

"I've missed these pancakes..." Ed said through a mouthful of syrupy goodness. Pinako laughed.

"Well, I'm glad you still like my pancakes..." Pinako said, "But there's more important matters that need discussing...I believe Roy wanted to ask you some questions?" She looked over at Roy, giving him the authority to start speaking as Ed swallowed and his expression darkened.

Roy cleared his throat, looking over at Ed, "How did you get back?"

Putting down his fork, Ed looked up at the ceiling, thinking. "I don't really know how I did it," he said finally, "I found this journal on the other side of the gate...and there was a sketch in it of a very bizarre transmutation circle that I was tracing out when I just kind of...appeared here."

Everyone was quietly observing the conversation, and Ed looked around uncomfortably before hissing at Roy, "I'd rather talk about this where people won't get too afraid...just you, Hawkeye, Winry, and Izumi."

"Winry?"

"I can't hide anything from her!" Ed said matter-of-factly, "She'll get me for it later."

Rose, who was sitting on the other side of Winry, looked over at her, "What does he mean by that?"

Winry waved her hand at her friend, but Rose looked at that hand strangely. "Winry...is that...?"

Ed cleared his throat after whispering something in Winry's ear and everyone turned to look at him again. "Uh...I know that we just had a funeral yesterday," he started, "But I really would like you all to stay a little longer..." He blushed and Winry rolled her eyes again, laughing. "Because..."

Winry held up her left hand and Riza was the first to start clapping, immediately realizing what the little stone circle on her finger was. Al looked over at Elysia, who was only a couple years younger than him, and she sighed as if he should know. "It's a ring," she told her poor, misinformed friend, "It means they're getting married."

----

"Annaliese?" Mr Hilliard said, frowning. He'd just heard the door slam, and he went down the stairs to go see who it was. "Is that..."

He rushed towards his daughter, concerned. She was leaning back against the door, breathing heavily, and looked up at him slowly, as if her body wouldn't cooperate. "Father..." she gasped, "There's something in the bookstore..."

He put his hands on her shoulders and led her to the sitting room to place her in one of the lounge chairs. "Annaliese, what is it?" he asked.

"It...it asked for Edward!" she said, her eyes wide, "It just appeared..." She clutched her hands together tightly, skin pale. "I think it came out of the book!"

Hilliard jumped up and walked out of the room, and Annaliese followed. "Father, where are you going?"

"Hohenheim Elric is in danger, and I want you to stay here while I go check up on him," Hilliard said, "Please, it's for your own safety Annaliese."

But she didn't listen to him, as usual. She followed him through the streets and past other people on that Friday night, to the house of Hohenheim Elric. And what she saw there chilled her for the rest of her life.

A mutilated body on the ground, blood everywhere. Books lay in ruin all around, but the culprit was nowhere in sight.

Annaliese turned and fled through the growing crowd before her father could catch her.

----

Author's Note: So all is well in Amestris...but Envy is wreaking havoc in Munich...

I would really like REVIEWS on this chapter, because I'm worried that it's too happy for Trisha's funeral being the day before and everything...but Ed is back, and I figured they should just be married anyway.

About the "syrupy goodness" thing in the pancakes part...I say that all the time, and I just couldn't resist putting it in there.

I hope you liked the fluff, please REVIEW if you did!

--Brynn
Sign up to rate and review this story