Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH21 - Take Five - The Veela Colony

by GuardianOfLight 1 review

Harry, Fleur and Dimirti go to get their first recruits

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Fleur, Harry - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2006-06-15 - Updated: 2006-06-16 - 2189 words

5Original
Chapter 21 - Take Five: The Veela Colony

Dimension: 563 - Earth
Date: 31st July 2001 AD
Country: Romania - Carpathian Mountains
Location: The Veela Colony
Time: Morning


This was Harry's fifth repeat of the 31st and today it was one of the few days when it wasn't just he, Fleur and the trainer (whoever it happened to be that time around).

Today he was going to start building his army, a prospect that he found more than a little scary.

Dimitri and Fleur had portkeyed them to a secret location, high up in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania.

It was the first time since being in mainland Europe that Harry actually felt cold, he was dressed in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with numerous layers of jumpers and fleeces on top of that in an attempt to keep himself warm.

Fleur had decided that she was taking him on a shopping trip to get some new clothes as most of what he was wearing right now were Dudley's old things, with the exception of his Hogwarts jumpers and his school shoes.

The Delacour's on the other hand were dressed in a lot less, Dimitri was wearing just one jumper and a long black cloak that had a permanent temperature charm on it to keep your body at optimum temperature.

Fleur was dressed in a full length silver dress covered by a long matching coat with a fur collar and lining, also with another permanent temperature regulating charm on it, and while they both looked comfortable the warming charms they had cast on his clothes were not quite up to Carpathian Mountain standard.

They were currently walking up a deserted and very rough mountain path that apparently led to the largest of the Veela colonies in Europe.

Harry had spent a bit of time researching Veela in his forth year, after discovering that Fleur was one quarter-Veela, he hoped he would find a way to stop Ron staring at her every time she came into sight, but unless they managed to find out that somehow they were blood relatives, Ron had had it.

He had discovered a book called 'Magical Menagerie'. It was full of a complete listing of all magical creatures and beings that flew.

Flipping through the book until he reached the 'V' section he had ran his finger down the list until he reached the entry he wanted.

- Valkyrie's
- Vampyre's
- Veela

Veela are a race of humanoid shape shifters, European folklore says that they can assume the form of falcons, hawks, snakes, swans, horses and wolves to name a few, but these are all theoretical forms as no living person has ever seen a Veela become one of these animals. One form that there is no doubt that Veela can transform into is that of a flying birdlike creature capable of throwing fireballs, this form is rumoured to be a close resemblance of their original appearance, it is not known whether the fireballs can be thrown when in human form.

Veela, distant relatives of Nymphs, are always women and although men can posses the gene they are merely carriers and do not posses any Veela traits.

It has been noted that Veela are always exceptionally beautiful, possessing silvery blond hair and are one of the most desirable species of mate on the planet, they have the ability to temporarily become totally irresistible to men, women are however immune to their charms and tend to dislike Veela for the popularity with the opposite sex.

Veela are very loyal to their partners and have never been known to cheat on them with others, this is true no matter how much Veela blood is present in their veins as the Veela gene is 'super-dominant' and surpasses all other genetic codes.

Veela are occasionally known to 'mate' with their partners. Despite what this sounds like it is actually a very deep magical bond that binds the souls and magical cores of the pair to each other for all time. It is a great honour to be chosen as a Veela's mate as less than one in ten of coupled Veela's mate.

Mating prevents either partner from ever even wanting to cheat with another being. While it considered something that never happens for an unmated Veela to cheat, for a mated Veela or Veela's partner to cheat is considered impossible.

Veela are reported to be able to tell if they have found the person that would be their perfect mate and the few mated Veela this author has met all mated because they knew they had found their Soul-Mates. Considering the worlds population, this does help to explain the very limited number of mating's as it must be virtually impossible to find one person in the entire world.

The link provides a telepathic bond between the two as well as a significant increase in power to both parties, the bond is a great strength as it allows the flow of magic, emotion and feelings between the two, but while it has its advantages the disadvantages must also be considered, if the link is broken or if one of the pair dies, the other will quickly follow the same fate.

If a Veela is physically separated from her mate it can also cause death as the pair needs to be able to feel each other constantly.

While Veela's are generally very kind and benevolent towards humans as well as being very desirable to men, they must also be treated with caution as while they are gently most of the time, if they get angry they can transform into their bird form and become a real threat.

Veela are now very rare and only exist in small colonies in hidden locations in mountains around the world, this is because of xenophobia in the Wizarding World, during You-Know-Who's first reign many humanoid and non-humanoid species joined his side in hope of gaining better rights, while Veela were not among them they were treated with caution thereafter, forcing them into remote locations.


The book had then spoken at length about the origins of Veela, which was when Harry had begun to drift off.

Returning to the present Harry saw that they were approaching a village.

It appeared to be filled with what could best be described as round-houses.

Circular buildings with pointed roofs made out of natural materials filled the valley they had just entered.

They approached what appeared to be a sentry point, where two females stood in front of an opening in the low wall made out of wood that defined the edge of the colony; no weapons were visible in their hands or anywhere around them but from what Harry had read, they would not be necessary.

The sentries possessed the odd combination of appearing both dangerous and threatening while also appearing incredibly sexy, something Harry was trying hard to ignore, it was probably due the fact that they were dressed in little more than a pair of handkerchiefs and a loin cloth.

"Who approaches?" demanded one of them in Romanian who, thanks to a translation charm, Harry understood.

Dimitri stepped forward.

"Dimitri and Fleur Delacour accompanied by Harry Potter, the Matriarch is expecting us."

One of the Veela gestured for them to follow while the other remained at her post.

As they wandered through the Valley Harry noticed that almost the entire population was female and all of those females had the same silvery/blond hair that Fleur, her mother and sister possessed, they were also as attractive and some could even be considered more so than Fleur, though Harry didn't think so.

Quite a few of the females, Harry observed, were wearing no more than....well the best description would be a fifties cave girl outfit, the attire although very limited appeared to be a sort of uniform as all the females wearing them appeared to be on guard or patrolling.

There were also a large number of females in the village that were not wearing the strange uniform, those that weren't were mostly wrapped in furs like Fleur, though they seemed to be made into dresses rather than coats.

The few males that were in the village appeared perfectly normal, presumably they were either Male Carriers of the gene or husbands to some of the Veela women who lived in the village.

The houses had wooden walls that were carved into ornate shapes and grass roofs, all trimmed immaculately.

They colony itself was several hundred meters in diameter and in the centre there was a particularly large round-house which they approached.

The sentry instructed them to wait outside while she went in.

Several seconds later the sentry pushed aside the cloth covering the doorway and bade them to enter.

The inside of the structure was decorated in rich fabrics and furs; they covered every surface including the sealing, giving the room a warm feel.

At the far end of the circular room was a throne, in it sat a regal looking woman, her white/platinum hair flowed all the way to her hips, this was by far the longest hair Harry had seen so far in the village. She had a look of power about her, as well as the image of wisdom and strength, though she appeared to be no more than thirty five years of age, forty at the most.

Dimitri took the lead, while Fleur and Harry walked side by side behind him.

Upon reaching the throne Dimitri dropped to one knee and bowing his head. Harry did the same while Fleur curtsied.

The lady motioned for them to stand.

"Why have you come Dimitri?" she asked in French, her voice sounding almost ethereal.

"I have come about the matter we discussed two months ago." he explained

"I suspected as much," she turned to Harry, her eyes studying and examining him "This is the boy you spoke of."

Fleur bristled next to him as she called him boy.

"He is no boy Matriarch;" explained Dimitri, aware that his daughter was none to happy at the Matriarchs previous statement "He has been through far too much to be considered as such."

"Indeed," she said raising her eyebrows "Come forward Mr Potter."

Harry walked forward to stand immediately in front of the throne; he bowed his head in respect.

The Matriarch chuckled.

"A boy who knows how to be humble....a rare thing, raise your head."

Harry did so, raising his chin in an effort to look more imposing.

This earned another chuckle from the Matriarch.

"I have been told of your deeds Mr Potter, I have no doubt that you have courage, loyalty and honour, but you do not appear to have much physical or magical power. Tell me Mr Potter how did you manage to escape the Dark Lord during the Triwizard Tournament?"

Harry though of keeping the secret of the twin wands to himself, but rapidly decided that if he wanted the Veela on his side then he needed to be honest.

"My wand and Voldemort's have twin cores, when we attacked each other, our wands connected and battled each other for dominance, mine won causing his wand to regurgitate the last spells it performed. It conjured the images of Cedric, the other Hogwarts champion, my parents and a few others; they distracted Voldemort while I grabbed Cedric's body and recovered the portkey back to Hogwarts."

The Matriarch seemed to be considering what she had just been told.

"Your wand overpowered The Dark Lord....that shows that you have the potential for greatness....but until you can control the power that resides inside you....my people will not follow you."

Dimitri's face sunk in defeat.

They bowed and left in silence, downhearted by the first failure in recruitment.




BenRG and all my reviewers, thank you as always. BenRG I did have a beta but he had to back out, if you could point out some of the mistakes you have spotted I would be most grateful.

Fleur beating Harry, if I had him beating her from the beginning it means that: as Harry's senior by 3 years, even with all the training those years would provide as well as being chosen by the cup (why would she be chosen if she were not good), if after all that Harry still beats her, it makes you wonder why bother, if he can defeat her already he must be almost ready, if she beats him on the other hand it gives him a goal to achieve and a bench mark by which to judge himself, it means that he already has a rough skill level, that of a champion duelist (or almost) it allows me to build from that and for people to judge how good he is getting.

As for Occulmens skill transfer, I though well if you can see each others memories, extract them for use in Pensive's and then watch them, whats to stop you transfering (or copying) them.

As for sap, this is my first full length story and I honestly don't hink I can write sap that well, there will be a bit, I warn you know.
Sign up to rate and review this story