Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Orphan

The Way family were eating dinner when finally Lyn-z said “Emily, I was just on the phone to Arianne’s Mother. She says that Arianne told her you pushed her.”
“That’s not true!” Emily cried “We were just playing!”
Lyn-z sighed and looked at Gabriella “Tell me what happened.”
Gabriella just looked at her before signing out ‘She fell’.
Lyn-z rolled her eyes and sat down “Are you sure that’s what happened?”
“I would not lie to you.” Emily told her innocently.
Ryan looked at her, watching Emily cut up her burger into small thin strips. He groaned “Can’t you eat normal?”
Emily looked at him for a second before replying “I am eating normal.”
“Maybe in Transylvania or wherever it is you come from…”
“I come from Poland.” Emily reminded me “Transylvania happens to be in Romania.”
“You’re such a freak.”
“Ryan, don’t say that!” Gerard told him sternly.
Ryan looked at his Dad in frustration “Why? Do you know how much my friends are getting down on me because of how freaky she is?”
“Then maybe they aren’t really your friends.” Lyn-z told him wisely.
Ryan chose not to reply. But Gerard wasn’t finished “Apologise to your sister right now.”
That was the final straw. Ryan thumped his fists on the table and stood up “She’s not my fucking sister.” And with that, he stormed out of the room.
Gerard looked at the door he’d just walked out of and ran his fingers through his hair. Emily looked down at her meal but did not feel upset about what Ryan had said.

Gerard walked over to Ryan who was using his paintball gun to shoot small army figures outside. “I’ve locked up your tree house.” Gerard explained “I’ll unlock it as soon as you apologise.”
Ryan didn’t reply, just continued shooting. Gerard thought it’d be a good idea to just leave him to it so he turned away and returned to the house.
‘Maybe I should apologise,’ Ryan thought to himself ‘I do love my tree house and this paintball gun is so boring…’
Suddenly something caught Ryan’s attention. A pigeon had flown onto the bench he’d been shooting the army figures off of. Smiling, Ryan aimed the gun at the pigeon and pulled the trigger. A red paintball shot straight into the pigeon, knocking it off the bench.
Not too far away, Emily and Gabriella were playing. Emily heard the pained squawks the pigeon was making and turned her head to see what was going on. Gabriella, who hadn’t heard the pigeon, also turned to look at what was going on. Neither of them could see much so Emily took Gabriella’s hand and pulled her towards their brother.
Ryan was staring down at the pigeon with tears in his eyes. When Emily and Gabriella approached him, he felt his face burning bright red with the guilt. “Did you do this?” Emily asked, looking down at the pigeon who was moving around in agony.
Ryan took a shaky breath “I-I didn’t think it’d hurt him…”
Emily looked around and found a largeish rock. She walked over, picked it up and walked back over to Ryan. “Here,” She said, holding out the rock to Ryan “You must put it out of its misery.”
“I-I can’t…”
“But you’re the one who shot it with your gun.” Emily told him patiently “If you don’t do it then it will starve. Do you want that to happen?”
“I told you it was an accident.”
“It doesn’t matter. You still have to do this.”
Ryan shook his head “I’m not doing it.” He muttered.
Emily looked at him for a second as if he were extremely stupid. Causing Gabriella and Ryan to jump, Emily suddenly threw the rock hard at the pigeon. Blood splattered across the snow and the squawking noise stopped.
Emily looked at Ryan “There. I did it for you.”
“W-What’s wrong with you?” Ryan stuttered, turning away from her and running over to the house.
Gabriella signed to Emily ‘Did you hurt the pigeon?’
“No,” Emily signed and said back “I helped him.”

“Is there anything special you girls want me to cook you for dinner tonight?” Lyn-z asked, pushing the trolley round the super market.
Emily shook her head “Any favourites?” Lyn-z asked.
She shook her head again. Lyn-z smiled and was about to say something when her phone ringing distracted her. She fished into her bag, pulled out her mobile and answered the call “Hello?”
“Hello, it’s Sister Megan here. I’m just calling about Emily.”
“Oh, hi! Well Emily’s here with me right now.” Lyn-z started talking to Emily “It’s Sister Megan, do you want to say hello?”
“No.”
“Oh come on, just say hello.”
“I said no!” Emily said loudly, shaking her head.
Lyn-z shrugged and put the phone back by her ear “Sorry, she just got a little shy…”
Sister Megan, who had heard Emily insisting she didn’t want to talk to her, smiled and said “Oh it’s okay. I was just wondering how things are going. Any bumps in the road?”
Lyn-z looked at Emily, handed her the shopping list and walked away from her two daughters so they couldn’t possibly hear “Actually we hit a major one recently.”
Emily looked over at Lyn-z and signed to Gabriella ‘What’s she saying?’
Gabriella was an expert at reading lips since she couldn’t actually hear without her hearing aids. She looked over at her Mother and watched her talk to Sister Megan.
“Oh really?” Sister Megan asked “What happened?”
“There was this incident at the park.” Lyn-z told her “There was this girl, Arianne and she fell off a slide and I’m almost certain that Emily pushed her.”
Gabriella turned to Emily and signed out ‘She’s talking about Arianne!’
Emily glared at Lyn-z as she continued to talk on the phone. “Oh really? Was she badly hurt?”
“Luckily she only broke her leg.”
“That doesn’t sound too lucky.”
“She’s lucky that it wasn’t her neck.” Lyn-z said “The girls are saying that she fell but I’m pretty sure Emily pushed her. That’s what Arianne is saying.”
“Maybe I’d better come over and see how things are going.” Sister Megan said “I’ll be over tomorrow, okay?”
“Okay.” Lyn-z nodded though Sister Megan couldn’t possibly see.

The next day the doorbell rang. Emily ran down the stairs “I’ll get it!” She called.
Emily skipped to the door and pulled it open to reveal Sister Megan smiling warmly at her. Instead of smiling back at her, Emily looked slightly afraid “What are you doing here?”
Lyn-z was suddenly at Emily’s side “Don’t worry Emily. Why don’t you go play now? Sister Megan and I are going to have a little chat.”
“But Mommy-“
“Emily.” Lyn-z said patiently.
Emily sighed heavily, realising she was getting nowhere. But instead of going to play, she hid in the kitchen and listened to the conversation between her adopted parents and Sister Megan.
Sister Megan was the first to talk “I think I made a mistake letting you adopt Emily.”
“What do you mean?” Gerard asked “It’s not like she’s done anything wrong.”
“Let her finish.” Lyn-z said.
Sister Megan cleared her throat “Whenever something bad happened back at the orphanage, Emily was always there.”
“What do you mean?”
“When one girl got caught stealing, Emily was there. If two girls were fighting, Emily was there. I managed to find out that in her old school, a boy fell over when he was holding scissors and he got stabbed in the chin. And Emily was there again.”
“That doesn’t prove she’s the cause of all these,” Gerard cried “Sure they were terrible accidents, but can you possibly blame them all on one innocent child?”
“Let her finish.” Lyn-z repeated.
“I think Emily did push that girl down the slide.” Sister Megan said “If the girl’s Mother is saying that it’s true, can we really just ignore that?”
Emily had heard enough and ran out of the room. She was wasting her time. So she ran into Gabriella’s room “You’ve got to help me.” She said and signed “There is a mean lady here to take me away. Will you help me?”
Gabriella nodded and stood up. She took Emily’s hand and the two of them walked downstairs to the basement. “Get me the keys.” Emily signed.
Gabriella went over to the key-rack and pulled off a set. Hoping they were the right set, she handed them to Emily. Choosing one of the smallest keys, Emily went to the safe. She shoved it into the key hole and to her delight, the door to the safe opened. Inside there was a loaded gun.
Emily grinned and took out the gun. Then she aimed it at Gabriella’s face “Wanna play?” Emily asked.
Sign up to rate and review this story