Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > You Only Live Forever In The Lights You Make

Chapter Eighteen: House of Wolves

by ZombieSlayer13x 1 review

WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? CIGARETTE KISS CAN SING? NEW CHAPTER!

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Humor - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2011-11-27 - Updated: 2011-11-29 - 3054 words - Complete

2Exciting
*A/N 11/24/11: Ah. Nothing better than sitting back and relaxing late on Thanksgiving night/early black Friday morning watching The Godfather I and II while writing fanfiction...

I’m not getting much writing done tonight.

*update 11/26/11: OMG Yay! Green Chapters! Lol thanks so much! Please keep R&Ring! :X



Chapter Eighteen: House of Wolves


It was five o’clock on the dot the next morning and the team was on their toes. They wanted to get up and go, but at the same time they all wanted to stay in Apocalyto’s safe house and never come out.

They had a light breakfast full of water, apples, and toast. Each of them brought something small along just in case.

“Nervous?” said Corpse as she walked up behind Sunny. Poor Sunny, who was already a shaking wreak, dropped her gadgets on the floor for the fifth time.

“Just a bit,” she replied with a lopsided smile.

“Don’t be,” Corpse said with a warm one.

Sunny nodded and picked up her gadgets.

“Alright people, gather round,” Corpse said in a louder voice as she stood on the kitchen table. Everyone came closer. She then proceeded to crouch down so she was eye level with everyone, “Today, is a very special day. Today, we make history, or die trying. I know some of us have our...issues...with each other,” at this she eyed Cigarette Kiss, Toxic, and Revolver, “but today we put that aside. We will fight as a team, or will we die as one. Once we set foot out that door,” she pointed dramatically, “there is no turning back. So if any of you have anything to say, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

She was met with silence, “Good,” Corpse said curtly with a devilish smile, “I wish all of you good luck, at least try to come back in one piece. Please.”

“Aye aye captain,” Cigarette Kiss said with a mock salute.

Corpse gave him an approving nod and then jumped off the table.

“Everyone have everything?” Toxic asked. She was met with the nodding of six heads, “Then let’s get this show on the road.” With that, Toxic shoved her knife in her hightops and then they were off, ready to take on the world and anything in their way.

~~~~~

Apocalyto woke up to the sound of her watch alarm blaring. She cursed before quickly shutting it off. She had a mission to complete, hopefully, one that wouldn’t take all day. She got up off of the hard, cold rooftop. Her back was stiff and her limbs were numb. Days in this unforgiving desert were hot as ever, but nights, the temperature could drop to freezing.

She stood up and stretched a little, working out her kinks and knots. When she was finished she took a bottle of water from her bag and took a swig. After swooshing it around her mouth for a while she spit it over the edge of the roof and wiped her mouth. Apocalyto took one more look around the rooftop, making sure she left nothing behind, and then she left.

Today she decided to check the abandoned buildings within thirty block of the store. As Apocalyto walked around the city she thought to herself. It was almost peaceful. There was no one out except for the occasional drac. It looked like a normal city until you REALLY looked at it. It was too sterile, too white. The billboards were as fake as they could get.

Battery City was like a giant prison you couldn’t escape. Apocalyto hoped and prayed that Chemical Corpse and her team succeeded in their mission.

~~~~~

Sonic woke up screaming. It was today. Her team was going out today. She had a strange feeling in her gut. She checked her watch; 5:10 it read. Sonic flopped back onto her pillow. She didn’t know what to do. How would she help her team? How would she get in Better Living Industries? What if she messed everything up?

In the back of her mind, Sonic felt she knew what she had to do. She always knew. She would gladly die for her team. They were her only family now.

Sonic made up her mind. She organized all her things and then quickly went into the bathroom to wash up. To her chagrin the water wouldn’t turn on. ‘Well, this sucks…’ she thought to herself.

~~~~~

Sunny took one more look at Apocalyto’s safe house before she closed the heavy metal door for the last time, punching in the lock code.

“Wow, I can’t believe we’re actually doing this,” Sunny said aloud.

“I know right?” Toxic replied with a wide smile.

“We’re going to change the world,” Corpse said bitterly.

With that, they headed towards their destination, and ultimately their doom. Running through mazes of alleyways and streets, they got closer and closer.

“Only forty more blocks,” Cyanide said twenty minutes later, scrutinizing the map.

“Oh, ONLY,” Cigarette Kiss said, taking a moment to catch his breath, “I don’t want to be all hot and sweaty when we arrive. I need to look my best when I die.”

Toxic shot him a look, “No one’s dying today.”

He scoffed, “Okay,” he replied sarcastically.

They kept running. They weren’t planning on stopping until they reached their destination.

~~~~~

Apocalyto was getting frustrated. This was the sixth building she’s had to check and so far, no sign of Sonic.

Just as she was getting ready to kick the door in, a group of dracs swarmed her from all ends, led by none other than the young officer she overheard last night.

“What are the odds...” she mumbled to herself.

“This the one?” the officer said, squinting at her. The drac next to him shrugged. The officer scoffed.

Apocalyto took her ray gun out and got in a defensive position.

“Hey, ma’am I don’t think you want to do that,” he said, raising his own BL/ind issued ray gun.

“No sir, I think you are the one who might not want to do that,” Apocalyto told him with confidence.

“I’m warning you!” the officer said, louder, his arm beginning to tremble.

Apocalyto stood her ground.

“Stand down!” he shouted.

She didn’t, “It’s a shame, you’re kind of cute,” Apocalyto told him.

At that moment he shot his ray gun, closing his eyes. When he opened them Apocalyto was no longer there.

“Boo,” she said appearing behind him. He swerved around, ray gun in hand. The dracs were scattered on the floor around him.

“How...” he began. Before he could finish she shot him.

“Nighty night,” she said.

~~~~~

Sonic unraveled her map on the kitchen table. It looked as if the family that was here before her left in a hurry. All the furniture was still here. Some pictures were hanging on the walls as well.

Sonic tried to pin-point her location as accurately as possible. She assumed she was over in the north side of the city since the dump was only blocks away from her. Her guess was 124th street. She made a pen mark in the general area of her current location.

With that done, she put her map away, and then headed out the door.

When she opened it she was surprised to see a girl. She looked maybe four years older than herself. She was poised, ready to kick the door in. It must have been a surprise when it magically opened.

“Um...are you Sonic?” Apocalyto asked, shocked that she had finally found the girl.

“Uh, yeah. Who wants to know?” Sonic asked, puzzled. She fingered her ray gun in her holster.

“My names Apocalyto,” she said as she extended her hand to Sonic, “I offered to come find you for your team.”

Sonic accepted her hand, “Find me? I’m perfectly fine on my own. How are they by the way.”

“Oh they’re fine, but you, not so much. You’re all over the news. There’s a freaking manhunt going on.”

Sonic gaped at her. Apocaltyo ushered her back into the house and attempted to fill Sonic in best she could on everything that had happened.

“I think you should sit down...”

~~~~~

Fifteen long, agonizing minutes later, the team arrived at the back of Better Living Headquarters.

“This place is HUGE!” Sunny said in amazement.

“No shiz…” Toxic replied.

“Okay, Cy where is this tunnel?” Corpse asked.

“It should be back there,” said Cyanide as he pointed. The building was huge and white with big glass windows. There were security cameras everywhere and dracs at every entrance point.

“Oh, there,” Corpse said, “So, that map of yours doesn’t happen to mention how to get past all this, does it?”

“Nope,” Cyanide replied, making a popping noise with his lips as he said the last part.

“Goodie,” Cigarette Kiss said as he surveyed the area.

“So, how do you wanna do this?” Sunny asked.

“We can go in, guns blazing?” Cigarette Kiss offered.

“Um...how about no?” Sunny said.

“Well, with that amount of cameras, they probably saw us arrive already,” he said.

“There’s always a chance they didn’t,” Cyanide said eyeing the camera.

Elder pulled his backpack closer to his body.

“Well, we could shoot the cameras...” Toxic offered.

“Then they would definitely know someone is here that shouldn’t be,” Cyanide said, still studying the camera.

“What if we just walk in the front doors? We could act all badass. Then we can just shoot up all the dracs. I heard a group of killjoys did that before!” Sunny said enthusiastically.

“Didn’t they die?” Corpse said. Sunny stuck her tongue out at her.

“Well, just standing here thinking out loud isn’t going to get us inside,” Cigarette snapped.

Toxic slapped him.

“What if...” Corpse examined the surroundings. There was a little river/creek/moat around the headquarters with a bridge in front of the main doors that crossed it. There was a mini forest on the other side of BL/ind. Corpse took one more look at the map and then set off into the forest, her team close behind.

“What are you doing?!” Sunny shouted.

As soon as she started running, Corpse was on her knees in the grass. She was crawling around looking for something, ignoring the twigs that dug into her hands and knees.

“What are you doing?” Toxic asked.

“Have you lost your mind?” Cigarette Kiss said with a laugh.

“Shut up and help me,” Corpse said, not even bothering to look up.

“What are you looking for?” Cyanide asked.

“Anything.”

Soon the rest of the team was on their hands and knees pulling at grass, examining sticks, feeling around on the ground. Fifteen minutes later, it was Sunny that found it. They heard her curse sharply and ran over to her.

“What happened?” Toxic asked, concerned.

“I just put my palm on something pointy.”

“Where?” Corpse demanded. Sunny gently felt around until she found it again. It was a small metal handle protruding from the ground. Corpse put her hand around it and pulled. To her and everyone else’s amazement, it gave way. It turned out to be the top of a pothole cover, cleverly disguised.

The team peered in, there was a metal ladder going down the hole. It was pitch black.

“How on earth...” Cyanide asked Corpse, puzzled. He looked at her then back and the map.

“Well, you see that X? It's right over where this patch of trees is,” Corpse explained, she quickly moved on, “Elder, pass me a flashlight.”

He handed her one without complaint. She shined it down the hole; it didn’t go as far down as she thought. Putting the flashlight in her mouth, she made her descent into the sewers. One by one her team followed her.

“Ew!” Toxic exclaimed, “I think I just put my hand in rat shit..."

“Tough luck!” Cigarette Kiss called from somewhere above.

Toxic flipped him off in the dark.

Corpse hesitantly felt around for each ring, her palms slicked with water from the ladder and sweat. Finally, her foot touched solid ground, “Whew, we made it guys.”

She took the flashlight out of her mouth and looked around. There was only one way to go, and that was straight. As her team assembled around her, they all took their flashlights out. Once everyone was situated they moved one.

About ten minutes later Cigarette Kiss started humming to himself, the sound echoing down the tunnel.

“Hey, I know that song,” Corpse exclaimed, “I just can’t put my finger on it.”

Cigarette Kiss gave her a long, hard look, "Young by Hollywood Undead...ring a bell?” he asked.

“Hmmm, I think so,” she said, the rest of the team coming to a stop behind her.

Cigarette Kiss opened his mouth, and began to sing:

“Watch the beauty of all our lies passing right before my eyes.

I hear the hate in all your words all the wars to make us hurt

We get so sick of so sick; we never wanted all this

Medication for the kids with no reason to live!


So we march to the drums of the dammed as we come

Watch it burn in the sun - we are numb!


We are young!

But we have heart

Born in this world as it all falls apart

We are strong

We don't belong

Born in this world as it all falls apart…”


As he sang the last word he faded off, his eyes glassy. The team stared at him in awe.

“Dude, I never knew you could sing...” Cyanide said, “Or rap.”

Cigarette Kiss shrugged, “I thought the song was rather appropriate.”

Toxic’s eyes lit up, “Oh my god yes, I used to love that song!”

He shot her a smile, “Really?”

“Yeah!”

“Okay, okay,” Cyanide said ushering them along, “We need to move on.”

~~~~~

When Apocalyto was done filling Sonic in, she put her head in her hands, “Wow...”

“Yeah,” Apocalyto nodded.

“You killed Justin Bieber.” Sonic said in wonder.

“One less threat to the world.”

“Agreed,” Sonic said, “So, now what.”

“I take you back to the safe house and we wait. If things go wrong I’ll smuggle you out of the city,” Apocalyto said, standing up.

“What, no! I didn’t get this far just to sit back and do nothing. I would’ve just stayed back in Zone 4 if I wanted to do that! I came here to help them!”

“No offense, but I don’t see how you’ve helped them so far,” Apocalyto said skeptically.

“Shut up!” Sonic yelled, “You’ve never had a team before, a family.”

Apocalyto looked at her with wise eyes, “I’ve seen more than you have.”

“How,” Sonic asked, looking at her accusingly, “All you do is stay in your house, safe from the world.”

“Trust me.”

“No,” Sonic said, and with that she got up to walk away.

Apocalyto’s hand darted out and she pulled her back, “You’re not going after them. There’s a reason why they kept you back at Zone 4, to protect you. If they wanted you to throw your life away they would’ve taken you with them.”

“Get off me,” Sonic said, her voice no longer warm and friendly.

Apocalyto released Sonic, her eyes turning warm; her maternal instincts were kicking in, “Please, don’t go.”

Sonic looked back at her, her eyes full of regret, “I’m sorry but, I have too.”

With that she picked her ray gun and back pack off the table, and left the house. Apocalyto was left staring at the space where Sonic previously was.

~~~~~

Back in the tunnel, the team had finally reached the door. It was made of thick steel. The door still held all its luster, which was remarkable for its age. There was a very simple keypad on the door.

“You guys know what you have to do?” Corpse asked Sunny and Elder. They nodded.

Sunny pulled all her gadgets out of her bag and knelt on the ground. She took out a mini computer and hooked it up to the doors keypad.

“Hold on a second, why can’t we just shoot the keypad?” Cigarette Kiss asked.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were-” Cyanide was cut off by Cig shooting the keypad. The team stared at the little cloud of smoke. Once it cleared, it showed the key pad, fully intact and shiny as ever.

“I told you,” Cyanide said. This door is indestructible, along with everything on it.

Sunny glanced at them and then looked back at her screen. She had the best of the best software, either made by her or other killjoys. This was black market stuff, it never saw the light of day and Better Living Industries doesn’t know it exists, or at least, they shouldn’t. What better idea than to fight killjoy-made coded locks with killjoy-made code crackers.

As the team patiently waited Sunny went to work, her finger flying over the keyboard, the computer occasionally omitting noises of protest or animated sounds. After fifteen minutes of waiting, the team was starting to get antsy. Their blood and adrenaline were pumping, they started to pace.

“Wow, thanks guys, no pressure or anything,” Sunny said, not even looking up.

“Sorry,” a few of them said back.

When Sunny had entered the last code, she crossed her fingers, held her breath, and then hit the enter button.

The team watched in silence.

At first nothing happened, and then, the light on the keypad changed from red to green. A small beep was heard. The rest of the team held their breath, watching as the heavy door slowly swung open. They were all greeted with the sight of a false wall inside janitor’s closet. Most people would turn back, assuming it was a dead end, but the team knew better.

To some, this would be a disappointment, but to the killjoys, this was the most wonderful sight they’ve ever seen.

*A/N: Hope you liked it! Are you guys as excited for the end of this story as I am?

-Alex
Sign up to rate and review this story