Categories > Movies > Van Helsing

A History Of Violence

by feliciter-audax 3 reviews

50 sentences about Vladislaus Dracula as he was and what he became.

Category: Van Helsing - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Horror - Characters: Anna Valerious, Dracula, Van Helsing - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-06-19 - Updated: 2006-06-19 - 1325 words - Complete

2Insightful
1.Blend

The most powerful demons, he had read, were formed of blood and mud, hate of God and living creatures: it is a formula that continues to be very effective.

2.Stain

An ancient superstition holds that the wounds of a corpse will bleed afresh in the presence of its murderer, though Gabriel had not attended his funeral for other reasons.

3.Island

It was impossible for one such as him to be alone for long, which might have contributed to his rapid resurrection.

4.Apple

"The apple does not fall far from the tree, Gabriel, though you may be right in saying that one rotten fruit does not condemn the rest of the basket."

5.Paper

Even infernal contracts signed in blood will burn as easily as ordinary paper, given a great enough fire.

6.Relax

It is only after the battle that he can afford to sit back and revel in the sight and sound of his enemies being impaled.

7.Leaves

The crackling of the leaves underfoot is audible to even those without preternatural senses, but he does not try to avoid this inevitable meeting.

8.Proof

He had given Gabriel the ring once, then taken it back again, and he is the only one now who remembers why it is on Van Helsing's finger.

9.Ugly

His children, and the means of their survival, have faces and forms that only a mother (or father) could love, but that does not make them any less precious to him.

10.Book

He had thought that the only truth was to be found here; now, he knows better, but still regrets that he is unable to turn the pages without setting them on fire.

11.Brood

In their triumphant flight, he sees a different kind of immortality.

12.Mesh

They work well as a team, though it is only when they are alone with each other that they are truly together.

13.Soft

In the scenes that he only vaguely remembers after more than four dreamless centuries, a voice calls him faintly but insistently to return, and his answer is always the same.

14.Shelf

With the loss of the monster, he will have to put aside his plans temporarily until they walk into the trap, but the years have taught him patience.

15.Alone

Sometimes, he will fly over the forest by himself without the urge to feed, looking for the places where two once rode, and sparred, and loved.

16.Fall

"It is not for you to judge me, Gabriel; do we not all make mistakes?"

17.Knot

There was no one who could ease the stiffness from his shoulders, tense with fighting and worry, until Gabriel came to take part of the burden from them.

18.Crowd

He is used to people shouting at the castle doors for his blood, since he has always taken theirs.

19.Denial

"I am not your son; he was murdered, as you well know."

20.Train

The dead travel fast, but even he finds this mode of transportation thrilling, if only over short distances.

21.Fur

He had a mastiff once, a beautiful and powerful animal which he regretted having to put down when it showed signs of rabies, for the poison in its blood would have meant madness and death for anyone who came too close.

22.Chrome

Gabriel had taken enthusiastically to the use of cannons; it amuses him to see that some things never change.

23.Heart

He maintains that he can tell the character of a man in his presence from the sound of his heartbeat: this means that he will never know himself.

24.Intention

"Is it that you cannot remember, Gabriel, or that you do not want to?"

25.Push

Once he desires something, it is easy to convince others that it is necessary; so far Gabriel has been receptive to all his ideas except the last one.

26.Look

The expression on Van Helsing's face is the same as Gabriel's several lifetimes ago, when Vladislaus asked his opinion of the rows of impaled prisoners stretching into the distance, further than the eye could see.

27.Weight

He had thought that a coffin would be oppressively heavy, but now it has become as essential as breathing no longer is.

28.Robe

When the heavy doors of the sepulcher were opened, three days after the first report of corpses drained of life, all they found were the prince's bloodied clothes neatly folded on the bier.

29.Spider

He bides his time as patiently and persistently as a spider spinning its web, and after hundreds of years, his time has come at last.

30.Umbrella

Sometimes he walked with one of them in the day, cloaked and shielded heavily from the fading autumn twilight, and he could almost imagine themselves as a happy village couple out on a stroll in the woods.

31.Surface

The water is crystal-clear, but Vladislaus can no longer see himself in it, or cleanse himself with its purity.

32.Idea

For him, deeds are as easy as words, but in the end, neither will save him.

33.Diamond

Compared to them, she is rough and raw, but he is confident that Anna will be a fine consort with a little persuasion and training.

34.Blind

Early in his un-life, a lucky strike by a panicked priest had left him temporarily unable to see; deprived of his vision, he found his enhanced senses further heightened, and his only regret was that Gabriel was not with him.

35.Flow

The blood that courses through a man's veins is his life.

36.Movement

He always takes the lead with his women, and his soldiers never questioned his orders, but there are times when he prefers to relinquish the reins to someone else.

37.More

He drinks until the pulse has almost stopped, and is not sated until the faint echo of the last beat fades before the pounding rhythm in his ears.

38.Honey

Manna in heaven may be sweet, but blood on earth is sweeter.

39.Weather

The cold and the darkness here are unchanging; though Vladislaus once considered winter his favourite season, he has learnt that there can be too much of a good thing.

40.Blue

One of his regrets is that he neglected to appreciate the rare beauty of a clear summer sky, now that he is no longer able to do so.

41.Double

It is a long time since he has been able to see himself for what he truly is.

42.Braid

This he remembers: the feel of hair between his fingers, soft laughter in the small hours, a radiant face turned to him in the lamplight, and his own lips curving involuntarily to mirror that smile.

43.Thread

In the first few months after, she tried to keep to a semblance of routine, weaving and embroidering as she had done during her mortal life; it is only when he snaps the thread and her work unravels into nothing, that she understands what she has become.

44.Angles

The majestic sweep of his fortress walls still delights his eye long after mortal architecture should have crumbled to dust.

45.Daydream

If this were a true sleep, the thoughts that run through his mind would be thus termed.

46.Nightmare

Long ago, he had woken from a dream of a great and terrible winged creature and run screaming to his parents' room; his father had thrashed the childish fears out of him, and he had sworn that he would never again make the same mistake.

47.Honour

He had sworn loyalty to the Church, a long time ago; now, his allegiances are somewhere else, but Vladislaus Dracula always honours his vows.

48.Palm

Gabriel was the only one who could make him feel the insensitive calluses of his sword-hand.

49.Screen

A mask conceals many things, though he needs it only when he has nothing to hide.

50.Warmth

He feels cold, though the blood spurting from the deep gash in his throat, flowing over him and pooling at his feet, is so hot that steam rises from it in the silent air, and he knows that this is not the end.
Sign up to rate and review this story