Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Underneath the Overpass

Sycamore Boy

by Wicked_Lovely 3 reviews

The irony in life is how easy it is to like someone you hardly know.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2012-01-22 - Updated: 2012-01-23 - 2221 words

0Unrated
The irony in life is how easy it is to like someone you hardly know. Once you know them, the harder it is to like them, because of how many more flaws you can pick out. But I don't know this boy, not in the least. There has been only one time that I've ever talked to him, and even then, it wasn't normal conversation. We have science together, him and I, and the teacher got tired of me arguing with the original person she had partnered me with, knowing that he was a good student, he was sent to replace the blond bimbo who knew nothing. It was a nice change really, one that I wasn't close to expecting.
It gave me a chance to study him further; watch the way he would cast his gaze down when I reached across his side of the table for something, the way he would tap his index finger nervously every time he spoke my name, and the way he would swallow nervously every time I said his name. Little ticks, small movements, every little aspect that could be overlooked by others. He would bite his lip and stutter whenever he was afraid he might make a mistake, his eyes sparkling as his lips pulled into the smallest of smiles when he got it right. He was quite for the week we spent working on our project, but god, when he did speak - it was amazing. He was amazing.
Once that week was over he went back to ignoring my existence. Just the way it had been before; the way it was supposed to be. That didn't mean that I didn't like it. There was this sense of satisfaction that I got from being around him while not having to worry about him thinking that I was odd for bothering him when he didn't want to be bothered.
But I was getting another chance. We had English together, just the same as science, and our teacher found it a brilliant idea to put the two of us together on a project that we were supposed to do over the winter holiday. It was hard to keep myself from smirking at the thought, not that anyone was paying any attention to me at all. I found it funny; the fact that just thinking about his name could bring a smile to my face, and having another chance to see him more. This time, we have to see each other outside of school. How much better could it get?
I waited at the lunch table for Spencer, watching Brendon eat under the tree that he loves to read under. Spencer's always late to lunch, he goes to the library a few minutes before to check out a book that one of his friends hides cigarettes in; each week it's a different book, and he has to keep up so we have something to smoke.
I was close enough to Brendon that I could read the title of his book, An Imperial Affliction, and I wondered what it was about, what type of books he read as he spent all day underneath a sycamore. I wondered if the Words on the pages that he was scanning had some form of hidden meaning, because those were the only words worth listening to.
He looked up at me, a small smirk pulling at the corners of his plump lips. I blushed away, feeling ridiculous for getting caught. I heard Spencer walking towards me, the sound of his heavy steps crushing the dried leaves that scattered the ground. I dared another glance at him, just in time to see him gathering his things before standing. I smiled up at Spencer.
"How's life?" he frowned.
"Still a side affect. Maria's in the hospital again, her pacer isn't working properly." Spencer collapsed next to me. Maria was his little sister, six years younger than him, which is too far of a gap if you ask me. She was born with a heart condition, and had already gone through more surgeries than I could count. It was the reason why Spencer could get away with so much, but it did prevent them from having much money, and more times than not it seemed that his parents didn't really love him. I saw Brendon walking towards us.
"Side affect or not, want to go to the industrial park?" He glanced at the school and nodded. We both stood, starting to walk away. Brendon ran into me as we walked away, and I could feel him slip something in my pocket, leaving me with a smile on my face. I followed Spencer to the park, letting him light up a cigarette for me.
We talked and I sat on the edge of a concrete wall, looking over it at the city that seemed to hide below. Spencer was angry, screaming about all of the forgotten love that his parents had for him, throwing things over the wall to see what would happen. It was good, letting him get out all that rage as he ranted on and on with my meaningless side comments. It gave him a chance to vent, and me a chance to see what it was that Brendon had slipped in my pocket.
It was a small piece of folded paper. Blue, in the shape of a paper triangle. I glanced over at Spencer who was starting to calm down before unfolding it slowly. His hand writing was incredible to mine, lacy and light like a well taught man from the eighteenth century, and I wondered why it was, that the beautiful people always seemed to be perfect in every way. There was, after all, no way for me to be perfect.
'Dear Ryan,
It has come to my attention that you cannot keep your eyes off of me. Seeing as we have an assignment together, I'm hoping that that will end up working in my favor. So what do you say about starting this little list of things we need to do today?
I'll be waiting underneath the overpass by the school at III. Bring a Polaroid.
Your's truly, B.'
I stared at the note, a smile spreading across my lips. I folded the paper back up again, keeping it smooth and perfect, slipping it back in my pocket. I let my hand fall in my head, my smile growing wider and wider. Spencer sat down next to me, sighing as he took a cigarette from between his lips, tapping it to get rid of the ash on the end.
"She's going to die soon you know? I just…I don't know what to do." I looked at him, seeing the tears in his eyes as he passed the cigarette over to me. I took it, hiding my smile as I took a drag. There's always something going on with other people, little things that they mask behind smiles and glittering eyes. Spencer just never really opens up about those things. Only when he knows that they'll get even worse soon. I tried to work out something to say. Something. Anything. Help him forget. That's what I was there to do. Help him forget.
"I think it's about time we hang out all night again." He nodded his agreement, and I passed the cigarette back.
"Meet back here at six?" I smiled.
"Of course." He didn't smile back.
The overpass close to the school wasn't close to the school at all. Quite the opposite really. It took about a forty minutes to walk the distance from the industrial park that Spencer and I spent all of our time at to the abandoned park that streets zigzagged around and through. I was late, worried that he wouldn't be there and- There he was, sitting under an old sycamore, book in his lap, glasses on the bridge of his nose, the heavy clouds in the sky giving us cover from the sun.
The wind tousled the leaves above him, his hair moving slightly as he turned a page, leaves flying towards me. It looked as if it was going to start raining, a rarity for us. But that didn't seem to matter as I made my way over to him, the wind blowing our hair and the branches of the trees that probably shouldn't be alive, and bringing in the sent of rain. I towered over his sitting form, standing and waiting for him to finish his paragraph as he read under my shadow.
He closed the book after a heartbeat, smiling up at me. "Did you bring the camera?" I nodded and pulled it out of the bag that hung from my shoulder.
"What is this about?" He ignored me, looking at the camera, examining it.
"Sit down." I obeyed, sitting down in front of him. The wind picked up again, carrying little droplets of water with it. "Come here." I nodded, moving closer, my heart beat picking up as my mind raced with what might happen next. He stared at me for a minute, a small smile gracing his plump pink lips. I felt my heart beat faster. Faster and faster and faster. He looks at me, it goes faster. He smiles at me, faster still. He moves closer, and it just goes faster and faster and faster, and butterflies pickup in my stomach, making me sick because I have no idea what's going to happen next. And he does, because he's calling the shots.
His hand moves to my cheek, and I let him. Feel that my stupid organ can only beat so fast. But he moves my face closer to his, and I let him. My heart beats faster and his face is coming closer to mine still, his eyes smirking at me as well as his lips. And then my heart stops a beat, and there's this sensation; one I've never felt before. There's a snap and a flash, and a photo's been taken, but all I know is him, and I move my hands to tangle in his hair as he moves his soft soft soft lips against my chapped ones.
Thirty seconds pass. He pulls back. He looks at the photos scattered around us, the ones that he's been taking and I've been ignoring, and he picks one up; both of us with our eyes closed, mouths slightly parted open and pressed against each other. He smiles at me, and my heart that had calmed down decides to pick up once more.
"Blackmail." He mumbles with a content smile on his face. He pockets the picture, handing me the camera back. And I know for a fact that he would never use it as blackmail, it would go against him."You know, you're kind of an awful kisser." I blush, look away, stare at the pictures that are still scattered around us like fallen leaves.
"Uhh,…It was…Kind of my first." I blush even more, and I know he's smiling. He picks up the other pictures, handing them to me along with the camera.
"Don't worry, you'll get used to it." He pulls out a piece of paper, little scribblings on it in lacy cursive that I could never match. I take it with the other things, putting them in my bag. "Are you going to take me home now?" I stare dumbfounded, and try to work the things that have happened out in my head.
And then I smile, because I don't care. Whatever just happened, whatever IS happening, I'll tell Spencer about it later, and he'll laugh and I'll laugh and then I'll figure it out. But right now, all that's there is his smile, and we rise, he takes my hand, and we both know there's mutual interest as we walk to his house. Maybe I should have done this sooner. But I don't really care, because whatever it is that's happening, I want to see the way it plays out. Figure out how it'll end. Where it'll take us.
I'll let things play out and hope for the best.


~~~~~

So yeah, I know, I know. These first few chapters will be just awful, but don't worry, it'll maybe get a little better so it's tolerable. Maybe.
On another note, I've been playing The Lost Boys on repeat for the past few days, and I've really been thinking about starting another vampire fic. But then again, it might end up being to cliché because things like that typically are. I don't know, what do you guys think?

TheAnonymous: Funny thing, that won't come up till like, second to last chapter? Maybe. I don't know.
Glad you like it.
And on another note, why would you take the F's? Or R's or U's?

PartyPoison: When do I write things that can be considered 'normal?' And anyway, it probably won't be that good, but the later chapters are the whole reason why I'm writing this. Mainly for the last chapter, but yeah. It should end up being mediocre, but that's what I do best, right?

snake56tongue: Nah, I already have a unicorn. It's outback playing with my hippogriff. They seem to get along nicely. But I'll continue, because I don't need bribes. Just ask, and I'll continue.

-xoxo Pansy.
Sign up to rate and review this story