Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Behind the Trash Can

Green Eyes

by LadyFoxFire 1 review

While taking out the trash, a business man discover something unexpected behind the trash cans

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-06-25 - Updated: 2006-06-25 - 2375 words

4Original
Disclaimer: If you've never heard of the character before than I own them, if you have heard of them then I don't own them. I don't make any money from this fic either if I did I won't be struggling for money and I could write more

Bad Author's Notes: I rewrote a lot of this chapter... Okay I rewrote a lot of the beginning of the chapter but I was able to double the length of the chapter.

OK for those of you who are not in the know, FF canned first posting of this fic under my name back in January. I lost 317 reviews because some !@$#^@^ complained about it. So I am posting it once agin.

Even in the darkest of days there is still light.



Green Eyes

By Lady FoxFire

July 7, 2002

Revised: October 10, 2004





"So after I removed my uniform, Joe and I were able to coach the child out from between the desk and cabinet," Sean explained as he walked towards the kitchen table, cupping a steaming mug of coffee in his hand. "You should have seen him, Mary. He looked like a half-drowned kitten that needed more than a few good meals in him." He sat down with a sigh at the table and glanced at his wife.

"So were you able to find his parents?" a woman with shoulder length black hair asked. "I imagine they must be frantic with worry."

Sean shook his head. "There are none. The boy said that his parents are dead-they died in a car accident. I couldn't find any record of his guardians." Sean gripped his hands around the steaming cup. "Campbell's checking the wire for any missing or kidnapped children that match his description, but I honestly doubt he'll find anything," He said before taking a drink of the steaming liquid.

"You think that he was abandoned?" Mary asked in surprised, cocking her head to the side as she gazed at her husband.

"Yeah," Sean replied softly, his eyes gaining a glazed, far-off expression. With a snort, he continued to his account. "When I asked the kid what his name was, he told me it was 'boy.' The people who raised him called him 'boy.'"

"'Boy'?" Mary's brow furrowed in confusion, her brown eyes darkening. "Do you think they threatened him into not telling anyone his name? They probably figured that if the police don't know who he is, then they can't find them."

"Possible," Sean mused with a boneless shrug. "At least that's what the Captain thinks. I think he doesn't know his name, if he even had one."

"Doesn't know his name?" Mary shook her head in confusion, leaning on the table. "Do you mean he has amnesia?"

"No," Sean said more to himself than to Mary. "No. I don't think its amnesia. I think that whoever raised him never gave him a name. If his parents had given him one, then his guardians after their death never used it."

"That doesn't make sense," Mary sputtered, straightening out of her slump. "How could you not use someone's name?"

"What about Thomas?" Sean asked with a mischievous look in his eyes.

"What did I tell you about that!" Mary snapped at her husband as she banged her cup on the table. "I told you never to.... Oh! Oh! So you're saying that they hated the kid so much that they refused to use his name?"

Sean nodded his head sadly, and the mischievous glint in his eyes dimmed.

"But why?" Mary said in distress. "Why would they hate a child so much that they refuse his name? How could they do that to a child?"

"I don't know Mary, but as soon as we find them, I plan to ask them exactly that," Sean said with grim determination as he clenched his jaw.

After a moment's silence, Mary asked, "Do you think you'll find them?"

"Eventually." Sean stated with complete confidence. "It's only a matter of time before we get a lead, and then they'll be facing some serious prison time for what they've done."

Mary rose to her feet and quietly walked past her husband towards the kitchen, refilling her coffee mug. As she walked back to the table, she reached out and gave Sean a gentle squeeze on his shoulder.

Grabbing her hand before she could pull it back, Sean looked up at her. "Have I told you that I love you today?"

A slight blush came to her cheeks. "Only twenty or so times," Mary replies.

"Is that all?" Sean gasped in mock distress. "I should be drawn and quartered for negating my duties so shamefully!" He pulled Mary's hand towards his lips and gently kissed the back of her hand. "Can you forgive me, oh loveliest of all women?"

Escaping his grasp, Mary sat down, a smug look on her face. "Perhaps. Perhaps I'll give you a chance to beg for forgiveness later," Mary said with a coy smile on her face. "But first I want to hear what happen to your drowned little kitten."

"Half-drowned, my love, half-drowned." Sean corrected with a smile that promised many unnamed things. "Not much happened. I took the child down to the station. Of course, as soon as I stepped into the station, the captain brought down the wrath of the gods upon me for being out of uniform. He gave the usual speech about taking pride in the uniform and how I represent the law when I'm patrolling. That was until he spied my little kitten clinging to my leg. He then put two and two together..."

Mary snorted. "And of course he immediately started in on his usual speech about the stupidity of parents. About how they teach their children to fear the police and then are mystified about why their little angels won't go to the police when they're lost or in trouble."

"You should be a detective," Sean chuckled. "At that time, the child asked if we were going to throw him into a pit with monsters because he had been a bad boy, disobeying his aunt and had moving from where he was told to stay."

"You mean behind the garbage bins?" Mary asked in slight confusion.

Sean nodded his head. "It turns out the people who raised him filled his head with the idea that policemen put bad people in deep holes with monsters. They also told him that he was a bad person and it was only through their goodness that the police hadn't thrown him into the hole. Yet."

Mary gasped in surprise. "I can't believe anyone would tell a child such a thing."

Sean shrugged his shoulders. "When it comes to the lies parents tell their children, nothing really surprises me anymore."

Taking a sip of his coffee, Sean continued on. "After we convinced the boy that we weren't going to feed him to monsters, the captain had Campbell search the wire for any reports about a missing or kidnapped child matching the boy. He had me take the boy to Doctor McMaster for a check up and to deliver him to Saint Brigit."

"What did the doctor have to say?" Mary asked before taking a sip of her coffee.

Sean looked down at his coffee cup. "McMaster said that the he showed all the signs of being malnourished. Because of that, we can't be sure about the kid's age. McMaster's thinking the boy might be three or four, possibly even five, but he can't be sure."

"You're not telling me something," Mary said her eyes narrowing, her voice growing hard.

Sean's head jerked up suddenly his eyes wide with surprise. "What? How?"

Mary crossed her arms over her chest. "You always talk to your coffee cup when you're trying to hide something from me. Now what is it?"

Sighing Sean allowed his shoulders to slump in defeat. "Mary... I..."

"You can't tell me?" Mary said as Sean looked back down at his coffee cup once again. "Police business?" Mary pressed on. "Something to do with your little kitten?"

Sean nodded his head.

"Then don't tell me." Mary said lovely as she reached out and took Sean's hand in hers. "If you can't talk to me about something then tell me you can't. Just don't try and hide it from me, Sean. That's' all I ask."

Before Sean could say anything the shrill ringing of the phone interrupted any further conversation. Giving her husband pat on the shoulder as Mary walked past him and answered the phone. "Hello? Oh hi, Alice." Sean's ears pricked at the sound of the familiar name. "How is everything? Hmmm, yeah... Ok that won't be a problem... Say around ten.... That's fine. See you then."

Mary turned and saw Sean's curious expression as she hung up the phone. "Alice wants us to stop by around ten o'clock today. It seems that your little kitten is having problems."

~*~

A few minutes before ten, Mary and Sean were greeted by the sound of laughing happy children as they pulled into the visitor parking spot of the St Brigit Orphanage behind Hollyrood Park.

"You love this place." Mary stated amusedly, seeing the huge grin on her husband's face as he climbed out of the car.

Sean nodded his head. "It's coming home. Some of the best years on my life were spent within these walls." He explained, taking Mary's arm in his and walking her to the door. "Alice and I would play pranks on the other children and teachers all the time. Nothing dangerous of course-it was just silly things."

"So that's where you get that warped sense of humor." Mary replied with a smirk on her face.

"I do not have a warped sense of humor." Sean countered with a pout on his face before it turned mischievous. "It's twisted. Alice has the warped sense of humor." He continued as he bowed his bride into his childhood home.

"Ah!" Mary said in growing comprehension. "That explains everything. Was she the one who decided that it would be funny to put frogs into the punch bowl at Tina's wedding reception?"

"Ah... no," Sean replied looking at anywhere but at his wife. "But remember they weren't really frogs."

"And of course, you figured that since Tina found the one true frog prince, you just had to invite his relatives," Mary said with a roll of her eyes.

"But of course, my fair maiden," Sean said as he held the door open for his wife, bowing her in the building.

"Can I help you?" a young girl no more than seventeen asked from behind the receptionist desk.

"A little old to be playing secretary aren't you?" Sean drawled in a serious voice, his teasing nature betrayed only by the smirk on his face and the twinkle in his eyes.

"Miss Elizabeth had the day off. I'm covering for her." The young lady retorted disapprovingly as she glared over her glasses at him.

Mary chuckled softly. "Mary and Sean O'Connell to see Alice O'Brien, please."

The young lady's eyes widened at the names. "Sean O'Connell? The Sean O'Connell!" The girl squealed in delight. "Is it true that you once put a laxative into the cookies of old Lady O ' Donnell?"

Sean face turned red at the memory. "Ah, well that was Alice's idea...."

"Don't you believe him, Nancy. That man was born with a silver tongue in his mouth. And a forked one at that." A blond haired, blue-eyed woman countered sardonically after having snuck up behind him.

"Yessssss. I do." Sean hissed at her as his flicked his tongue playfully in her direction.

Mary glared at her husband, her arms crossed over her chest. "Grow up, Sean."

Sean turned to his wife, his bottom lip sticking out as he pouted. "But she started it."

"Did not." Alice replied automatically, her hands on her hips.

"Did to." Sean countered crossing his arms over his chest, jetting his jaw out.

"Did not."

"Did."

"Not."

"Did."

"Not."

"Not."

"Did."

"Ha!" Sean exclaimed in glee as he grinned toothily in triumph. "See, I told you she did do it."

Alice snorted at her defeat as she crossed her arms over her chest and glared at Sean as he did a jig in the entryway of the orphanage. "Is that how you trick thieves into confessing?" Alice asked, raising an eyebrow.

Sean winked, rocking back and forth on his heels. "I'll never tell," He replied in a singsong voice.

"You two are hopeless." Mary exclaimed as she threw her hands up in frustration, as the young lady tried in vain to hide her laughter.

"Really now, and here I thought we were incorrigible." Alice muttered with a twinkle in her eyes as she baited Mary.

"How about juvenile," Mary countered

"No, more like headstrong."

"Depraved?"

Alice tapped her chin in though. "Perhaps. But what would that say about you? After all, you did marry him."

"That I'm saintly," Mary said in a holier than thou voice while her eyes betrayed her devilry. "That I'm trying rehabilitate a poor retched soul."

"You, saintly?" Alice exclaimed. "If I remember right, you were the one who filled Headmistress Smith's office with..."

Sean watched in pleasure as the two women of his life argued playfully back and forth when he suddenly felt a small hand slip into his.

"Hello, there," Sean whispered softly as he knelt down next to the small boy he found yesterday. "Did you miss me?"

The green-eyed boy slowly nodded his head in silence as he kept his eyes on the ladies.

"Don't worry. They won't harm you," Sean assured the young boy when he noticed the green eyed child watching the ladies warily. Scooping the thin child into his arms, Sean stood up. "The funny lady with the black hair is my wife, Mary, and the loud one is my unofficially adopted sister, Alice the Menace."

Seeing the abandoned child in Sean arms, the ladies stopped their playful banter. "Hello, dear. I'm Mary," Sean's wife announced as she came closer.

The boy looked at Mary, his piercing eyes judging her, and found her worthy. A small smile lit up his face. "Hello," He replied shyly before burying his face in the crook of Sean's neck.

Sign up to rate and review this story