Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Night and Day

3

by Rose_Angel 0 reviews

Darren and Daniel in 1920s America

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Colby Taylor, Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-05-29 - Updated: 2005-05-29 - 2045 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Don't own, don't know. Don't make money. Don't sue.
Rating: Again, PG-13ish.
Night and Day 3/20
"I will confess I thought for a while you would resist me. But then you kissed me and now I'm in love." And Then You Kissed Me by Frank Sinatra
When Daniel arrived at the hotel room, Darren was already there, still dressed from the party, pouring a glass of champagne. "Hello, Danny boy," he smiled. "Champagne?"
Daniel came forward slowly, his hands shaking a bit as he took the glass. "Thank you."
Darren shook his head. "Not again, Daniel. Take off your coat, make yourself at home. No one will see us here, I can promise you that. Now, drink."
Daniel drowned the champagne in one gulp and then put the glass down. Darren was sitting on the bed, his tie already off and the first two buttons on his shirt unbuttoned. "What are we going to do tonight?" Daniel asked.
Darren laughed. "Have you never courted a man, Daniel?"
"Never. Only lovers."
"Well," Darren stood, "this does make things difficult. Well, how did you court Kathleen?"
Daniel flinched at the mention of his fiancee but nodded. "I took her to the theatre, brought her flowers and chocolates, read her love poetry----"
"Hmm," Darren nodded. "I must admit I adore the theatre and rather enjoy chocolates. Flowers and love poetry, however, I am not fond of."
"We can't go to the theatre!" Daniel gasped.
"And why not?" Darren asked as he buttoned his shirt and started to tie his tie again.
"Because we'll be seen," the blond man replied. "Mr. and Mrs. de Leon go to the theatre all the time and if they saw me with you...I don't even want to think about what could happen."
"Danny boy," Darren turned, "you worry too much. For all they know, I'm a business associate---"
"And we're attending the theatre without our wives?" Daniel laughed.
In a moment, Darren's sparkling blue eyes went from happy to fiery anger. "All right, Daniel. If that's how you feel, then go. I don't need to waste my time with a man too afraid to even court me." Daniel stood for a moment. "Go!"
"Dare, I'm sorry," Daniel came forward and took the shorter man into his arms. "I do worry, but I want to be here with you. I want to learn more about you. And then, maybe, one day, well, perhaps---"
"Yes, Daniel?"
"Well, the other night I played at a petting party, you know what that is, right?"
"Of course I know what a petting party is."
"Well, I was wondering if they, have, well, you know, if they have petting parties for people like us?"
"You want to go to a petting party?" Darren's eyebrows went up.
"Yes," Daniel looked down at his hands.
"Of course they have petting parties for people like us, Danny boy, but is that what you really want?"
"More than anything."
"But first you want to know more about me?"
"Yes."
Darren sat down on the bed. "All right. If you want to know more about me, will I learn about you? No more of this silence?"
"Yes."
"Fine," Darren nodded. "Get comfortable, Danny boy. Coat off, tie off, I don't want this to be an unpleasant experience for you."
Daniel removed his jacket and even his shoes and then crawled back to the headboard of the expensive bed. "First of all, Dare, I want to know how the hell you can afford to have a hotel room like this at your beck and call."
Darren smiled and also sat up against the headboard. "Well, Daniel, that's a long story. I'm originally from London, as you know. My father, Lord Robert Hayes, was extremely wealthy, rather good friends with the king. My brother, sister, and I were all sent to the best schools. My brother went for the Guards, my sister married young, and I was more of the odd man out. I acted for a bit and certainly helped with other familial duties, but I wasn't doing anything worthwhile. About seven years ago, my father introduced me to Colby, who is also from a good family. Barons and baronesses. Colby and I weren't in love, but our parents were adamant about our marriage. A year later, we were married and sent on our wedding trip here to the States. The day after we left, the War broke out and my mother and father demanded we stayed here until it was over."
"The conflict ended two years ago," Daniel stated.
"My brother and father both went off to fight and were killed, my mother died of the influenza epidemic. All of the money was left to me, the only surviving son, and it was quite a bit of money."
"What of Colby's family?"
Darren shrugged. "Her father died when she was young, her mother simply wanted to be further up in society. We haven't heard from her in the six years we've been here."
"When did you tell Colby about your..." Daniel struggled to come up with the words.
"My tastes?" Darren smiled. "Immediately. On our wedding night, after several failed attempts to do what happily married couples do on their wedding nights, I told her I had never been attracted to women, that I was attracted to men and I suggested we do something to fix the problem. She told me she wasn't especially attracted to me, though she did find me charming, so we decided to have affairs. It worked well."
Daniel nodded. "And that's the way it has been for six years?"
"Yes," Darren nodded. "She's head over heels in love and I'm allowed to do what I want. But, Danny, you now know more about me than I had attended. What about you? What brought you to meet the beautiful Kathleen?"
Daniel stared at his hands for a moment and then sighed, "I was born in England. But my eldest brother was ill and the doctor told my parents he would benefit from the sunshine and heat of Australia so we moved to Brisbane when I was only one year old. My brother died when I was four, and of course, my parents were devastated, but there was no point in moving back to England, my other brother and I were rather happy where we were. I started working when I was fourteen with my father with boats, on the ocean. And I would swim almost every day and I told my mother I would never leave the ocean. My brother, Oliver, went off to war and never came back, my poor mother went mad with the grief of losing two sons, my father left, and I worked to help my mother. When Kathleen came a year ago, I thought I'd have a bit of fun with the rich American girl, I never wanted to fall in love with her. I never wanted to move here."
"You miss Australia, don't you?" Darren murmured.
Daniel nodded. "I'm going back. I don't know when, but I will. My poor Mum was sent off to England to live with relatives and I'm here and I hate it, Darren. I despise it."
They sat for a few minutes, the silence speaking volumes. Both men were simply victims of circumstance and fate, and neither could claim happiness. "I'm sorry, Daniel."
"It doesn't matter," Daniel got up and reached for his coat, taking out a cigarette case and matches. He lit a cigarette and took a long drag. "What now?"
Darren stood up and took the cigarette from Daniel's fingers. He looked at the tall blond man, looked into his emerald green eyes and then lightly stroked his lips. "Dear God, Danny boy, do you have any idea how hard I'm falling for you?"
Daniel didn't respond as he took Darren's face into his hands and began to kiss the shorter man, their tongues entwining in harmonious passion. They stood, kissing, for several minutes, the cigarette smoldering in Darren's hand until the shorter man stepped back, panting for the stolen breath. "I have an idea, Danny boy."
"What's that?" Daniel asked.
"We're going to see a motion picture," Darren put out the cigarette and immediately began to regroup. "It will be dark."
"Darren, it's nearly midnight," Daniel laughed.
Darren's laugh was shaky as he noticed. "All right then, I have a better idea. Have you ever been to Harlem, Danny?"
"No."
"That's where we're off to then," Darren smiled. "It's fantastic, really. A rich man's playground as ridiculous as it sounds."
"No," Daniel stepped forward. "I want to stay here, Dare. I want to be with you tonight."
Darren paused for a moment and then shook his head. "Darling, I want that as well, but not tonight. I want this to be special. Never in my life have I met someone like you, Daniel Jones, and I'm not going to lose you because of my desire. Now, come. I have a car waiting downstairs that will take us to Harlem and we will listen to this newfangled music called jazz and you can smoke and we'll be happy."
Daniel put his shoes and coat back on and then followed Darren out to the car. The drive to Harlem was silent, though Daniel decided to tease Darren a bit, running his fingers up and down the man's inner thigh until finally, the dark haired man grabbed him and kissed him. At first, Daniel worried about the driver noticing, but soon began to enjoy the kisses and let his worries melt away. Their arrival at the nightclub seemed to come too quickly and Darren grinned evilly as he pulled away and got out of the car, Daniel following him. The club they walked into was dark and seductive, cigarette smoke causing a sort of fog that hung over the people. A woman stood at the microphone, singing in a dark, seductive, husky voice that oozed sensuality. The two men were led to a little table right in front of the stage and Darren ordered some wine. For a bit, they sipped at the wine and listened to the music, until finally, Darren leaned over to Daniel and whispered, "Danny boy, I have to say, this wasn't one of my best ideas."
"Why?" Daniel asked.
"Because I have a feeling if I don't have you in my bed, I will absolutely die from grief."
At the feeling of his potential lover's breath on his neck, Daniel's breath became slightly labored. "Yes."
"Yes?"
"I want to be in your bed," Daniel murmured.
Darren grinned and stood up. "We're going."
"Where?" Daniel stood up as well, his heart pounding.
"To the hotel," Darren replied. The drive back to the hotel was a drive of kisses, rushing hands, and whispered promises. The rush to the room became even more fevered, to the point that Darren almost forgot to close the door in his hurry to get Daniel undressed. Jackets and pants and shirts lay abandoned on the floor as the two men fell to the bed, the kissing become nearly violent. "Danny," Darren breathed, "you are fantastic."
Daniel didn't respond as he kissed Darren all over his body, enjoying the sounds of complete pleasure emanating from Darren. His promise of being commanding in sex was kept as he ensured every step Darren took was one that he enjoyed, one that he needed. And then, just as Daniel was about to take the pleasure to the next step, Darren pushed the tall man away. "Daniel, no."
"No?" Daniel breathed the foreign word.
"No," Darren repeated. "Not now. Not so soon. I've only you known you for a bit, and I love you. Let's not ruin this."
Daniel crawled away from Darren, his heart pounding. "Christ, Dare, you can't---"
"I must, Daniel. I love the game, Danny, and I've caught you much too quickly. And I want this to be the hardest game I've ever played. Now, get dressed, and go home. I will see you tomorrow at the Star."
"How do you know I will be there?" Daniel asked.
Darren laughed and kissed the man roughly on the lips. "Because, Danny my boy, you cannot resist what I have to offer."
TBC
Sign up to rate and review this story